ADVERTISEMENT

Football Question: Linebacker Skills

RUforester72

All Conference
Jul 23, 2014
Bend Oregon
What are the specific skills associated with Weakside vs. Strongside vs. MLB? Are there size requirement/preferences? Speed needs? Better football IQ? I read a lot about potential players matching up at the different linebacker positions, but never about why that's the case.

What are the specific skills associated with Weakside vs. Strongside vs. MLB? Are there size requirement/preferences? Speed needs? Better football IQ? I read a lot about potential players matching up at the different linebacker positions, but never about why that's the case.

I guess all the football experts are standing down during the doldrums.

Inside; More of a run stopper, bigger, stronger, usually runs the Defensive sets
Outside; Sideline to sideline, faster, High football IQ, can analyze Offense, open field tackler
This is in a typical 4/3 Defense

Weakside: Has to be your best tackler and fastest player. In a 4-3 this guy typically won't be blocked due to angles. It's why more often than not the WLB is the leading tackler at RU and if he isn't it's usually an indication of a poor WLB or poor overall D.
MLB: Has to have the highest football IQ because he has to set the D against an infinite amount of offensive sets. He has to be able to run very well as he'll have the deep third of the field in a base cover 2 scheme
Strongside: Usually your bigger, stronger LB. He will be up on the LOS a lot with the goal to kick the TEs rear end from time to time. He'll come off the edge a lot on blitzes, take on the FB quite a bit.

As a general rule you don't want small LBs unless they can REALLY run well. They have to engage with OL and it's not good if a 6-0 tall LB is trying to get off a block from a 6-5 OT. Especially in the B1G. I'd argue you want them closer to 6-2. They also need good hip flexibility and again...they need to be able to run well to the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT