ADVERTISEMENT

Friedgen and McDaniels liked Russo over Guarantano

Not surprised. Fridge is a QB expert. Haskins is next level. Kid is at the top of most any board. Garatano on the other hand is a lot of hype and athleticism. Not sure how that translates on the field, but you have to be concerned that potential isn't production.

That kid to me was all about what marketing does for you and what it does for the program, and most importantly what other players he could bring. Not sure if that is happening though.

Russo fits so much better in our offense, and that is obvious.

Reactions: RickB113
Love the picture that goes with the story:
  1. Screen%20shot%202015-07-13%20at%207.jpeg
    images
    sso!!!!!!!

Glad we got Russo but I've got a feeling JG is going to be a great QB for the Tennessee Possums, Hillbillies, gophers or whatever you call them. JG is just an athletic freak and that plays out well for a college QB in today's game.

Not news to me. Knew it all along. Flood & staff are top of the line when it comes to the eye test, they know how to pick em. They are 10x better at evaluating than any Rivals "expert" when it comes to filling needs. Stars usually don't apply when it comes to a Flood recruit.

Reactions: RUMountie
This is such a stupid post on many many levels

Can't we happy that we got what looks like a really good QB prospect...and leave it at that. Who cares what they are now...its what they develop into in a couple of years that matters. The only thing that matters now is what Russo becomes...not how they are versus JG, DH, or anyone else

Reactions: RCmike

Can't we happy that we got what looks like a really good QB prospect...and leave it at that. Who cares what they are now...its what they develop into in a couple of years that matters. The only thing that matters now is what Russo becomes...not how they are versus JG, DH, or anyone else

Explain to me how stating facts and praising the staff for a good find is a "stupid post on many levels"?

Reactions: FastMJ
Not news to me. Knew it all along. Flood & staff are top of the line when it comes to the eye test, they know how to pick em. They are 10x better at evaluating than any Rivals "expert" when it comes to filling needs. Stars usually don't apply when it comes to a Flood recruit.
I hope you're right but this remains to be seen. Please give 5 examples of Flood recruits who played well above their star ranking.

Any QB considered good enough to get the Friedgen seal of approval is welcome on Rutgers' roster any day of the week and twice on Saturdays!

Reactions: Peteyd

sour-grapes.jpg

Reactions: JQRU91 and Rokodesh
Hicks, Martin, Turay, Boggs, Grant... and none of his guys are upperclassmen yet.
I agree they are all very good players but other than Turay the other guys were all rated very high coming out of high school. Grant was a 3 star 5.7, just a smidgen below 4 star. Boggs and Hicks were also 3 star 5.6 and Martin was a 3 star 5.5, all very solid rankings and players expected to do well in college.

There is not one RU fan that thought Hicks and Martin would do as well as they performed as FR.

Glad we got Russo but I've got a feeling JG is going to be a great QB for the Tennessee Possums, Hillbillies, gophers or whatever you call them. JG is just an athletic freak and that plays out well for a college QB in today's game.
JG has the potential to excel as a College QB, but like every other potential star coming from the HS ranks , he'll have to devilop his talent to become a good one.
There are plenty of examples of those who are thought to be potential college stars, coming out of HS, that never live up to that hype once they start college ball.
Tenn's Class of 2015 ( unless things have changed) has Quenten Dormady a four star (5.8) out of Texas ( #13 pro style in nation)
and Jauan Jennings a 4 star (5.8) out of Tennessee that's rated the #13 dual QB in the class of 2015.
Along with the #10 rated dual threat QB of 2015 out of California , 4 star ((5.8) , Sheriron Jones

Guarantano ( 4* /5.9) is rated higher than all three , at the #4 dual QB in Class of 2016 rankings , but he will have to
play up to his potential to win the starting job with that type of competition
Tenn's starter is a junior and a good one, so Jarrett will have 2016 to prove he should start over the other 3 in 2017.

By the way, Anthony might just prove Rutgers got the better QB , by playing as well in College as he did in HS.
But can't count out any of Russo's competition ( like Dare) to step up and prove to be even better than AR or JG.

Reactions: RUMountie
I agree they are all very good players but other than Turay the other guys were all rated very high coming out of high school. Grant was a 3 star 5.7, just a smidgen below 4 star. Boggs and Hicks were also 3 star 5.6 and Martin was a 3 star 5.5, all very solid rankings and players expected to do well in college.

And my point still stands. They were all 3 star recruits or worse. They are all playing above their ratings already as mostly freshman. If you tell me you expected such production from all of them so soon, I don't believe you for a second.

There is not one RU fan that thought Hicks and Martin would do as well as they performed as FR.

Apparently our resident "star-gazer" "Hatorade drinker" did.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And my point still stands. They were all 3 star recruits or worse. They are all playing above their ratings already as mostly freshman. If you tell me you expected such production from all of them so soon, I don't believe you for a second.

I would say this is not true. Hicks was committed for a long time, Robert Martin then came on board and the mods were very high on both players especially Martin's versatility.

I would also argue that aside from Turay, none of the other players are great players, or necessarily destinee for greatness. The body of work is also so small with relatively little achieve, that to say they are outplaying any ranking, is a gross overstatement at this point.

Turay is the exception.

And my point was that only Turay was a reach identified by the head coach. The others were all expected to be solid players by the rating services. I will admit that Hicks and Martin are beasts who are performing extremely well early in their careers but that is something that is not that unusual for RBs. I think Grant is electrifying. Boggs hasn't really played that much due to injury. Listen I'm not wanting to argue about the players ability because I love them all, but Flood did not find them under a rock.

And our current commits are ranked like that. 12 three stars and 4 two stars. One of those 2 stars being russo. So whats your point again?

The thing for me about Russo vs Guarantano is under our present scenario you've eliminated so much unneeded hype for essentially the same production (if not better).

For example, let's imagine we landed Guarantano and Laviano/Rettig struggle. How soon are we hearing the "turn the keys over to JG" crap? The Star Ledger guys would be asking Flood after every practice. I'm sure they'd be trying to get Carroo's/Hamilton's/Turay's/the water boy's opinion too on how Guarantano is "throwing it."

Similarly, Guarantano is a highly rated legacy recruit from an "important" parochial NJ school. Once/if he would get the job would Flood ever pull him? We saw this scenario (minus the legacy part) in Nova. I just got a cold sweat thinking of Kent State.

It would have been four more years of that.

And my point was that only Turay was a reach identified by the head coach. The others were all expected to be solid players by the rating services. I will admit that Hicks and Martin are beasts who are performing extremely well early in their careers but that is something that is not that unusual for RBs. I think Grant is electrifying. Boggs hasn't really played that much due to injury. Listen I'm not wanting to argue about the players ability because I love them all, but Flood did not find them under a rock.

And I didnt say he found them under a rock. I stated that Flood was good at evaluating talent. You challenged me to give you 5 Flood players who are playing above their ranking. I gave you five players that are clearly playing above their ranking. There really isn't anything else to talk about.

And our current commits are ranked like that. 12 three stars and 4 two stars. One of those 2 stars being russo. So whats your point again?

I think his point is that the above is Floods recruiting ceiling and he has shown no indication that he can beat the better teams in the conference with players who are rated even higher from Schiano's last two classes. I could be inferring incorrectly...

And I didnt say he found them under a rock. I stated that Flood was good at evaluating talent. You challenged me to give you 5 Flood players who are playing above their ranking. I gave you five players that are clearly playing above their ranking. There really isn't anything else to talk about.

Only one of those players is clearly playing above their ranking. There really isn't anything more to talk about.

The thing for me about Russo vs Guarantano is under our present scenario you've eliminated so much unneeded hype for essentially the same production (if not better).

For example, let's imagine we landed Guarantano and Laviano/Rettig struggle. How soon are we hearing the "turn the keys over to JG" crap? The Star Ledger guys would be asking Flood after every practice. I'm sure they'd be trying to get Carroo's/Hamilton's/Turay's/the water boy's opinion too on how Guarantano is "throwing it."

Similarly, Guarantano is a highly rated legacy recruit from an "important" parochial NJ school. Once/if he would get the job would Flood ever pull him? We saw this scenario (minus the legacy part) in Nova. I just got a cold sweat thinking of Kent State.

It would have been four more years of that.
This doesn't make any sense. You don't think people aren't going to call for Russo if the other two don't work out. It's the same situation. I don't entirely believe the article. Why was JG pursuited by Rutgers when they could have signed Russo immediately? Why were so many idiot fans posting so much about JG even when some knew he wasn't coming? These are the same fans that are going crazy and making the argument our coaches knows everything. I didn't get excited by JG or Russo. I'm glad Russo is better than a 2-3 star recruits but hope he makes it here.

The put down of Nova is bullshit. All three of the QBs might not be better than Nova. I hope RUsso is better but I don't think the two fighting for the current QB will perform better than Nova or there would be a clear winner right now.

Let's hope Russo is our Teddy Bridgwater and brings to to the promise land for 3 years. For the NJ kids that snubbed Rutgers, I want they to be third string back ups.

Last edited:
want to replace them with Cioffi, Tsimis, and Cole(who might start as a R FR?

ah facts. i thought those were outlawed on this board?......

My thinking going into last season was that Paul James would be the man with Peoples being utilized effectively by Fridge to spell James. Most of us were extremely high on Hicks as the back of the future. He committed to RU very early and had some big offers that he turned down. At the powerhouses, it is unlikely that Hicks would have seen the field so quickly, and to be fair, he wouldn't have at RU if James was not injured. Martin surprised me in that I thought he would be a red shirt given who was ahead of him last August. Goodwin, who some would say outperformed his rating in 2013, will have difficulty getting on the field at RB. James comes in at #1 with Hicks spelling him. If James is healthy, tough to get both Hicks and Martin carries but the B1G is a tough road so injuries always occur.

Are you crazy?o_O Anyone who saw film on Hicks and Martin could tell you they were good. I spoke to a few people down in "Fla. and their biggest concern with Hicks was can he stay healthy. His HC is a former Rutgers player, so he was under wraps for a long time. The big 3 tried to get their hands on him and if they did Hicks' ranking would have been higher. Martin's film was super and he got the seal of approval from LeSean "Shady" McCoy. I'm sure NFL backs throw out their approval to HS players everyday. Anyway, in this day and age kids specialize in one sport. They come in much further along in their development. Also, for the uninformed last year was the first year regular coaches besides the S&C coach had contact with the players during the summer. players, especially freshmen, were exposed earlier to the college ways.

ADVERTISEMENT