ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread- RU v Iowa

That inbounds play where we were granted the TO while the ball was in the air and bounced off the player calling the TO and out of bounds was so close to being a kick in the ...

Finally caught a break at RU for once.

Arella finished with 17. Great job by her at the end of OT after a rough last minute of regulation. This win punched the NCAA ticket for sure. Should be a comfortable first game Thursday before a harder matchup with Indiana on Friday.

Reactions: Abro1975
Looking forward to the Post game Presser.

RU clinched the 5th seed, they get day 1 off, and play the winner of the 12 and 13 seeds on Thurs. March 5 at approx 2:30pm. Should they win that game which they should they then play Friday against the 4 seed Indiana. If RU beats Indiana, they advance to the semi finals on Saturday. The Title game is Sunday at 6. All games on BTN TV.

https://bigten.org/sports/2019/9/11/2020WBBTournament.aspx

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Arella finished with 17. Great job by her at the end of OT after a rough last minute of regulation. This win punched the NCAA ticket for sure. Should be a comfortable first game Thursday before a harder matchup with Indiana on Friday.

Yes she came on late after trying to force things that were not there. Outplayed the Iowa girl up for POY too

Looking forward to the Post game Presser.

RU clinched the 5th seed, they get day 1 off, and play the winner of the 12 and 13 seeds on Thurs. March 5 at approx 2:30pm. Should they win that game which they should they then play Friday against the 4 seed Indiana. If RU beats Indiana, they advance to the semi finals on Saturday. The Title game is Sunday at 6. All games on BTN TV.

https://bigten.org/sports/2019/9/11/2020WBBTournament.aspx
This was a big big win. First off we get Indiana after Wisky/Illini. Indiana is beatable, they have lost to OSU and Iowa, both teams we beat. Second it was crucial to get a "signature" win for our resume in the eyes of the NCAA committee. Beating OSU and Iowa in the last week or so, both are high RPI teams, definitely moves us up.

Yes she came on late after trying to force things that were not there. Outplayed the Iowa girl up for POY too

Doyle did finish with 14pts and 9assists (to 7tos), but like Arella, only shot 33% from the floor.

In all honesty, neither did great today--they got their buckets in crunch time but both defenses did a good job of taking them out of their games.

Key (for both teams honestly) was supporting staff who stepped up. Arella had 17pts, but so did KK and TBaby, and Mael had a double double.

I like the resume passing win, not to mention one that may help their seeding. I think we expect a win in the second round of the BTT and hoping to be greedy and beat a good Indy team on as neutral court and get themselves bumped up another seed or two in total.

Reactions: Abro1975
Doyle did finish with 14pts and 9assists (to 7tos), but like Arella, only shot 33% from the floor.

In all honesty, neither did great today--they got their buckets in crunch time but both defenses did a good job of taking them out of their games.

Key (for both teams honestly) was supporting staff who stepped up. Arella had 17pts, but so did KK and TBaby, and Mael had a double double.

IMO, Arella hit the biggest shot, the step back 3 pointer w time running out. Arellla also has 4 blocked shots , Doyle 0 blocked . And Arella’s team won. I’m pretty sure the award is announced before the BIG10 Tournament starts .

Reactions: Loyal-Son and RC66
Do you realize how easy it is to get off an uncontested three pointer against a zone?
Not if you play it out to the perimeter and everyone shifts correctly. If they screen, we have the extra player. I would play smaller in that situation and take my chances. They hit the 3 because two of our girls stayed with the ball and left the shooter wide open off the reverse pass.

Reactions: The_Senator
Today's win over Iowa was really exciting and a wonderful win. I don't recall RU defeating Iowa before. Was this the first time. I am glad that Vivian defeated her old team. Congratulations to our ladies.

Good question

I know on the men’s board we kind of keep track of who we have never beaten.

Have the women now beaten every team in the conference?

Today's win over Iowa was really exciting and a wonderful win. I don't recall RU defeating Iowa before. Was this the first time. I am glad that Vivian defeated her old team. Congratulations to our ladies.
I believe this is the 3rd time in 11 games since 2005
But the first one since Rutgers became a B1G member
University of Iowa Athletics Women's Basketball History vs Rutgers University
https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/womens-basketball/opponent-history/rutgers-university/23

Last edited:
I went to the game today and Abro said the announcers said KK blocked the shot they called the foul on her. Is that true?

One of the best games I have seen the ladies play in all my years as a season ticket holder. I think Doyle is a more complete player than Rella who I love.

One of the best games I have seen the ladies play in all my years as a season ticket holder. I think Doyle is a more complete player than Rella who I love.
Actually, if you look at their stats for this year, there is nothing to indicate that one is significantly better than the other. Doyle has a higher field goal % (.451 vs .415), better assists/game, and slightly better steals/game (1.6 vs 1.5).
Arella has better 3pt % (.376 vs .337), slightly better ft % (.796 vs .788 although in B1G games, Arella is .843), more rebounds/game, more blocks/game (1.1 vs .3), fewer turnovers/game (3 vs 3.6), and more mpg (20.1 vs 18.4).
No way Doyle is more rounded. Quicker for sure. I'd take her on my team, but not in place of Arella.

Reactions: Bon1674 and TRU2RU
Would be nice, but we are RUTGERS, so don't hold your breath.

Other factors in Dolye's favor -- she's a senior from a BIG blue blood and Iowa overachieved. But on the other hand, an Iowa player won POY last year. Would they give to one school back to back? Fingers crossed for Arella!

2020 Big Ten Women's Basketball Tournament Schedule
Wednesday, March 4, 2020 - First Round

Game 1 (2 p.m. ET): #12 Wisconsin vs. #13 Illinois BTN | Live Stats | Box Score | Recap | Quotes | Notes | Photos
Game 2 (25 min. after): #11 Minnesota vs. #14 Penn State BTN | Live Stats | Box Score | Recap | Quotes | Notes | Photos

Thursday, March 5, 2020 - Second Round
Game 3 (Noon ET): #8 Michigan State vs. #9 Purdue BTN | Live Stats | Box Score | Recap | Quotes | Notes | Photos
Game 4 (25 min. after): #5 Rutgers vs. Game 1 winner BTN | Live Stats | Box Score | Recap | Quotes | Notes | Photos
Game 5 (6:30 p.m. ET): #7 Michigan vs. #10 Nebraska BTN | Live Stats | Box Score | Recap | Quotes | Notes | Photos
Game 6 (25 min. after): #6 Ohio State vs. Game 2 winner BTN | Live Stats | Box Score | Recap | Quotes | Notes | Photos

Friday, March 6, 2020 - Quarterfinals
Game 7 (Noon ET): #1 Maryland vs. Game 3 winner BTN | Live Stats | Box Score | Recap | Quotes | Notes | Photos
Game 8 (25 min. after): #4 Indiana vs. Game 4 winner BTN | Live Stats | Box Score | Recap | Quotes | Notes | Photos
Game 9 (6:30 p.m. ET): #2 Northwestern vs. Game 5 winner BTN | Live Stats | Box Score | Recap | Quotes | Notes | Photos
Game 10 (25 min. after): #3 Iowa vs. Game 6 winner BTN | Live Stats | Box Score | Recap | Quotes | Notes | Photos

Saturday, March 7, 2020 - Semifinals
Game 11 (6:30 p.m. ET): Game 7 winner vs. Game 8 winner BTN | Live Stats | Box Score | Recap | Quotes | Notes | Photos
Game 12 (25 min. after): Game 9 winner vs. Game 10 winner BTN | Live Stats | Box Score | Recap | Quotes | Notes | Photos

Sunday, March 8, 2020 - Championship Game
Game 13 (6 p.m. ET): Game 11 winner vs. Game 12 winner ESPN2 | Live Stats | Box Score | Recap | Quotes | Notes | Photos

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT