ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. Purdue

Unbelievable win scoring 81 points without Harper.Outstanding foul shooting by Baker and Young to seal the win.Mathis was terrific scoring 21 points .This win will be remembered for a very long time because Pikiell found a way to get the team to overcome obstacles. on both ends of the court.

Reactions: RUTRINI
Unbelievable win scoring 81 points without Harper.Outstanding foul shooting by Baker and Young to seal the win.Mathis was terrific scoring 21 points .This win will be remembered for a very long time because Pikiell found a way to get the team to overcome obstacles. on both ends of the court.
He had 25 in 29 minutes.

Tough, successful win. Mathis and Geo scored when they had to and the entire team played tough enough to overcome Purdue's run at the end of the first and the first seven minutes of the second.

For me, tonight was a great win. We toughed it out without Ron and Cliff. The team really stepped up including the freshmen.

Agreed - he looked so tentative out there...
True, but as the game went on, I thought he got a bit tougher. Still, it's really unfair the way they call so many ticky-tacky fouls against him. There's no reason that Myles couldn't be a force on both ends of the court.

I've never read so much bitching and moaning about the play, when our fans get more flustered than the players on the court. I never really had a doubt in my mind about a W, even with 2 of our top 7 rotation players out with injury that we would pull this game out. You have 4 players that can go for 25, in RHJ, JY, Mathis and Geo. Why everyone stresses over individual plays and/or runs in this game or conference. You can tell we were the better team even without RHJ or Cliff. 50% FG, 11/21 from 3, 14/17 FTs, 6 TOs the whole game. This is what Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, Gonzaga, etc. fans expect every game despite circumstances, being an upper echelon team. The players on the court are an extension of the coaching staff now. This board is gloom and doom when one role player is out, insta-loss, We just won a game with 2 out, 2 not 100%. I think Pike knew he could get away with this to a team that lost to both Miami and Clemson.

Last edited:
I've never read so much bitching and moaning about the play, when our fans get more flustered than the players on the court. I never really had a doubt in my mind about a W, even with 2 of our top 7 rotation players out with injury that we would pull this game out. You have 4 players that can go for 25, in RHJ, JY, Mathis and Geo. Why everyone stresses over individual plays and/or runs in this game or conference. You can tell we were the better team even without RHJ or Cliff. 50% FG, 11/21 from 3, 14/17 FTs, 6 TOs the whole game. This is what Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, Gonzaga, etc. fans expect every game. The players on the court are an extension of the coaching staff now. This board freaks out more than the experienced players on the court ever do about runs or bad stretches.
You've made your points and I agree with much of it. But then you lost me when you compared us to the great teams. We are JUST learning how to be really good. Tonight's win, we toughed it out and it was a great win for us. Period.

Until someone proves us otherwise, you can never count us out.
We played to win, not lose and it showed tonight. We will always be capable, but we might not shoot as well.

Pikiell does a good job of giving his players a fairly appropriate offensive leash. A players coach signature. The way Young and Montez have progressed you absolutely have to live with the some of the bad shots they take. The key is they have been taking less of them and for youngs part he’s taking much better care of the ball in general especially when he gets in threatening positions on the dribble drive.

I've never read so much bitching and moaning about the play, when our fans get more flustered than the players on the court. I never really had a doubt in my mind about a W, even with 2 of our top 7 rotation players out with injury that we would pull this game out. You have 4 players that can go for 25, in RHJ, JY, Mathis and Geo. Why everyone stresses over individual plays and/or runs in this game or conference. You can tell we were the better team even without RHJ or Cliff. 50% FG, 11/21 from 3, 14/17 FTs, 6 TOs the whole game. This is what Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, Gonzaga, etc. fans expect every game. The players on the court are an extension of the coaching staff now. This board freaks out more than the experienced players on the court ever do about runs or bad stretches.

The game thread is for over reacting good and bad to every possession.

Uh, welcome to a game thread. Of just about any sports team in the history of sporting.

Reactions: bac2therac
Uh, welcome to a game thread. Of just about any sports team in the history of sporting.
I've been on football and basketball threads for many years but I've just found myself enjoying the game more not worrying about every flaw or mistake as they happen and look at the overall picture, not every individual piece of a puzzle until it comes together. This team is a pretty simple puzzle to figure out, they are very good team with a ceiling of being a top 10 team all year long.

Bo Boroski did not ref our game tonight.
LOL, must be his evil twin. I was going off somebody's earlier post about him being there again tonight. My bad. But I'm going to call every crappy Ref "Bo Boroski" ..as in.."we got Bo Boroski'd tonight". 😏

LOL, must be his evil twin. I was going off somebody's earlier post about him being there again tonight. My bad. But I'm going to call every crappy Ref "Bo Boroski" ..as in.."we got Bo Boroski'd tonight". 😏
Totally get it. I used to get Tim Burr & Jim Higgins confused even though the only similarity in appearance they had was grey hair. Larry Scirotto was the guy last night you’re probably thinking of...he started with all the ticky tack fouls in the second half and called the phantom foul on Geo defending the 3 pt shot with less than a minute to go.

Totally get it. I used to get Tim Burr & Jim Higgins confused even though the only similarity in appearance they had was grey hair. Larry Scirotto was the guy last night you’re probably thinking of...he started with all the ticky tack fouls in the second half and called the phantom foul on Geo defending the 3 pt shot with less than a minute to go.
yup. Guy with Buzz Cut. He's another one of my NOT fav's. Tries to inject himself into game like Teddy V. did. "smartest guy on the court"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT