ADVERTISEMENT

Gators hire Mike White La Tech coach and a native Floridian

Well Billy Donovan had an even less impressive resume when he got hired. This is Foley's MO so I think it should be expected. I think Archie Miller may have cost more than they were willing to spend even if they are Florida and have the money. Like I've said, mid major coaches these days are more "sticky" than they have been in the past too.

He plays the style that Donovan uses and he's over .700 overall and in conference and looks like quite an improvement from the past 2 La. Tech coaches. He might not have made the NCAAs but the past 2 coaches only made the NIT 2 times in 13 years and he's made it 3 times in 4 years. Don't know too much about him but just looking at the resume, he doesn't seem so bad. The SEC is becoming a little tougher with the coaching names they've brought in like Pearl, Howland, Barnes on top of Calipari so it's going to be more challenging.

They didnt waste any time. Not sure I am impressed with his resume....but he hrecruited Fla and being a native figured heavily. One of my fav RU memories is beating the Gators at home not too long ago !

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...a-gators-mike-white-coach-20150507-story.html
Quite a career path for this young coach whose family is NCAA sports-connected. His Dad is the former University of Maine's Athletic Director. BTW, calling him a native Floridian is a stretch. He was born in Dunedin, FL but lived all over the country growing up. What he is is a top-notch recruiter, especially of the south. Louisiana Tech is a tough sell to recruits ... yet his La Tech roster has players from Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Illinois, Texas, and Mississippi. One player from Louisiana. Now that is salesmanship, getting talent to Ruston, Louisiana.

Last edited:
Seems like a good young coach, but never went to the dance, and isn't very well known. This is a program that has won national championships, and could afford to go bigger and pay more, but chose not too. Obviously they have the facilities and resources to succeed, so that is one thing the new coach doesn't have to worry about.

Reactions: jeffro5
Florida is still considered primarily a football school.With their resume of prior success Florida should have been able to attract a high profile head coach assuming they wanted to spend the money.

Foley, the AD, has not had a lot of success with his hires. In FB, he struck out with Zook and Muschamp, and Meyer left the program in an awful state. Was lucky with Donovan, but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.

When we were searching for an AD, I looked to see who the 2nd in command was to Jurich and also who was 2nd to Foley. I think Foley is considered one of the best ADs in the country. I don't pay attention to their Olympic sports but I'm pretty sure some of our Florida posters here have said he's had a very good track record in those sports as well.

His hires have won 4 national championships, 2 in football and 2 in basketball. How many other ADs can say that. I said this in the other thread but his mid major type hires have done better than his hot shot assistant hires, which is why I figured he'd hire another strong coach like that again. Archie Miller was probably going to take more than they were willing to spend. Muschamp and Zook failed but Donovan and Meyer succeeded wildly. I'll take all that good along with their Olympic sport success to go with the black marks of Muschamp/Zook. He also had the guts to get rid of Zook who wasn't doing terribly but wasn't great up to Florida standards. He let him go "early" and Zook was recruiting Florida pretty well IIRC. Now he's had to replace both football/basketball coaches so we'll see how they do.

I was pretty amazed how quickly UF moved to hire a coach. Donovan will be almost impossible to replace. It looks like UF want a young guy with Fla roots. In both FB and BB, UF turns away kids that many schools would love to have. Choosing the right player is the key for them.

I will enjoy seeing how it works out.

ADVERTISEMENT