ADVERTISEMENT

Geno is a d-bag

Boogs

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
Classy move by C Viv to put Davis in for last 15 seconds and give her a shot with UConn up 36. Yet Geno has his kids contest the shot. Can't blame the kids, since it took him so long to empty the bench. This is the same guy that staged a basket for one of his girls, but can't reciprocate. He sucks.

I'm not at all upset by that. The general rule in blowout wins is that the players on the leading team defend until the players on the losing team stop trying to play offense. (And, in general, the players on the losing team don't stop playing offense.) It would have been very nice if the UConn benchwarmers had recognized the situation and let her score, but by no means do I think they were wrong to defend her.

Did Ms. Davis remove the big knee brace prior to entering the game?

They were absolutely wrong to defend her. But being bench players for UConn and never seeing any time, I can understand they did not understand the situation. It wasn't so much a shot but rather an assist that would have been great.

Geno is the best woman's basketball coach of all time. Your anger should be directed at Stringer but since you can't do that you find the stupidest things to knock Gino, like he should have yelled out to the team "don't cover her she has a bad knee and is a senior". R U serious!

Can't expect nothing from the opposition and when you lose, better to grin a bare their actions than complain about
their refusal to make a nice gesture.
rolleye0012.r191677.gif

Just give kudos to your coach and know they did a nice gesture that no one can deny.
happy0030.r191677.gif

I don't think Geno would purposely try to mess this up. In fact, I was surprised that Essie didn't just end the game and dribble out so I think the Conn reserves were caught by surprise.

Originally posted by ea_1:
Did Ms. Davis remove the big knee brace prior to entering the game?
Essy wasn't wearing the brace on Monday night. That was a sure sign she wasn't going to play. In addition, CVS had stated she was out in the Sunday press conference.

In their last regular season game, ND played at NC State. NC State was renovating the arena, so it was the last game played in the old configuration. NC State had a senior who was a 4 year starter who had torn her ACL in December, With ND up 10 with 24 seconds left, the NC State coach subbed her in. ND slacked off her and allowed her to take a wide open 3 point shot on her senior night. She ended up having the last shot in the old arena.

Part of the reason geno is great is because he never takes his foot off the gas pedal. he's an ass, he's screwed over many people including a friend of mine, but that's one of the reasons he wins. if he wins a game by 20 he shows his players how they could have won by 30 if they win by 30 he shows them why they didnt win by 40. if they lose, he doesnt brush it off. he is ultra competitive. he gets other people to let down their guards like the Nykesha Sales situation, if i was the opposing coach that day id have said "hell no".

OK, just curious: are opinions on this differentiated by gender? Would love to know, as people say what they think, if they would be willing to reveal whether they're male or female. You can guess what my hypothesis is.

Boogs, haters gonna hate. Of course, you don't mention the multiple times Geno has called a timeout at the end of games when the opposing team was out of timeouts so the opposing team could sub out their seniors and get the recognition they deserve. Or the MANY times he has called off the dogs in blowouts. Or how about the $80K he donated to the Sandy Hook memorial fund. Or the countless other really good things he does for people and WCBB. I guess your right.....he's a d-bag because walk-ons had a chance to play in an NCAA tournament game and they played the way they were supposed to play. Jeeze, the amount of hatred RU fans have for Geno is just incredible......

I root for Rutgers and have seasons tickets. Not sure why this means I am supposed to dislike Geno. Yes, UConn has their pick of high school seniors. But, there are more than a handful of outstanding high schoolers joining the college ranks every year. Instead of dumping on Geno, let's ask the question , "why are these outstanding high school players not choosing Rutgers"? The answer has to be much deeper than "the RAC is outdated". CVS is a legend, no doubt. But, there has to be a reason our bench is so shallow and the pipeline is not richer? The reason has nothing to do with Geno.

(I'm not going to turn this into a thread on RU recruiting, tempting though it might be.)

In response to MTF, I'm in the "no big deal" camp and I'm male. (A lot of you know that already, but just to start the ball rolling . . .)

there is no denying that Geno is a great coach who recruits the cream of the crop however just looking at the box for their 54-105 pulverization of Texas - he ended the half 24-52 and still had Stewart in the game and then he started her and still had her in when they were 38-84 with 11:18 to go in the game..that's when he finally pulled her but he still left in Mosqueda-Lewis, Stokes and Nurse

you would think at that point there would have been NO starters on the floor..I don't think it was really necessary to decimate them in a tournament game

BTW - female :)
This post was edited on 3/28 5:33 PM by nj4shore

Originally posted by Ewecon:
Boogs, haters gonna hate. Of course, you don't mention the multiple times Geno has called a timeout at the end of games when the opposing team was out of timeouts so the opposing team could sub out their seniors and get the recognition they deserve. Or the MANY times he has called off the dogs in blowouts. Or how about the $80K he donated to the Sandy Hook memorial fund. Or the countless other really good things he does for people and WCBB. I guess your right.....he's a d-bag because walk-ons had a chance to play in an NCAA tournament game and they played the way they were supposed to play. Jeeze, the amount of hatred RU fans have for Geno is just incredible......
You are looking at this thru UConn colored glasses. donations dont mean much, jerry sandusky and bill cosby were involved in a lot of charity work. not saying geno is anything like those two of course, im just saying that donating money doesnt make you a good person. it;'s a nice thing, that's it. you cant prove why he called any timeout you may be referring to. to allow other teams to sub? maybe. could also be to yell at one of his players for taking a shot early in the shotclock with a 40 pt lead or to sub out some of his players like oh maybe a starter who is still on the court for some reason with a 40 pt lead in the game's final minute. You talk about some of the things he did that were great, how about my friend who had a scholarship offer pulled on the day before she could sign because Geno recruited over her so she had to scramble after turning down a bunch of schools?

How about my
friend who had a scholarship offer pulled on the day before she could
sign because Geno recruited over her so she had to scramble after
turning down a bunch of schools?

Are you saying your friend had a solid offer from UConn (some offers are conditional), verbally committed and it was accepted, and then was dumped one day prior to signing her official letter of intent? If so then I agree with your assessment of his action, all other things being equal If she had not verbally committed to a real UConn offer but waited to weigh other offers then I'm sorry, the fault would lie with her. I certainly don't know the details, but your description of the situation isn't quite specific enough for my full understanding. By the way, I'm not implying that your account is not essentially correct.

Originally posted by lne001:
How about my
friend who had a scholarship offer pulled on the day before she could
sign because Geno recruited over her so she had to scramble after
turning down a bunch of schools?

Are you saying your friend had a solid offer from UConn (some offers are conditional), verbally committed and it was accepted, and then was dumped one day prior to signing her official letter of intent? If so then I agree with your assessment of his action, all other things being equal If she had not verbally committed to a real UConn offer but waited to weigh other offers then I'm sorry, the fault would lie with her. I certainly don't know the details, but your description of the situation isn't quite specific enough for my full understanding. By the way, I'm not implying that your account is not essentially correct.
Yes 100 percent truth. I grew ip in connecticut she was a great high school player an all time leading scorer at a CT high school (going to leave out which school to keep her name out of it). she had a scholarship offer from uconn. verbally commited. told Duke, Notre Dame, Rutgers, and a host of other schools no and literally 2 days before she could sign, the offer was rescinded. she was left to scramble and ended up with a scholarship to a New York area school

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT