ADVERTISEMENT

Good dead period topic.

RUforJERSEY

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2001
Mableton , Georgia
What in-state public high schools would you like to see regain their standing as solid programs and thus produce more talent?

One for me would be Plainfield. Back in the late 70's-80 they had very good programs in all of football, basketball and track. Produced a lot of excellent athletes and a good deal of speed. One player they had back in the day was Jeff Blanchard who I believe went on to play LB at RU. Back in the 80's they had one of the best two sport athletes I ever saw in a kid named Kenny Fields. I wonder what happened with their athletic programs?

Perth Amboy. From around 1960-1995 Amboy was one of the best public HS programs in NJ. Brian Taylor and Chad Kinch made the NBA, Bruce Taylor made the NFL. Super exciting teams who pressed full court and ran at every opportunity.

In general, I'd like to see more top athletes NOT commute to parochial.. thereby helping all non-parochials.

their basketball team has had a nice run over the past 5-6 years ... although their coach is retiring so that may change

Plainfield had a great football teams in the 50s and 60s. Herman Johnson; Pete Liske; Vic Washington come to mind.

You forgot the greatest athlete in Planifield's history (and perhaps all of NJ's history) who played during that era.. Milt Campbell ran track and played football at the University of Indiana and eventually went on to play for a short while with the Cleveland Browns where he was a RB playing behind Jim Brown. Milt later went on to win an Olympic Gold Medal in the Decathlon.

The linked story from the NY Times is a must read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/05/s...ympic-decathlon-champion-dies-at-78.html?_r=0

Last edited:
East Orange HS had loads of tough fast kids in the sixties and seventies and South Side Newark too...I loved watching Lonnie Wright run over under around and through everyone at Belleville HS..Craig "Ironhead" Heyward's Passaic HS had talent too!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT