ADVERTISEMENT

Good News: The B-School Cracked the Top 50

cyrock3

All American
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2006
Figured we should have a separate thread for this bit of news. The B-School never cracked the Top 50 of the U.S. News grad school rankings before. Now, it's at 48 and probably climbing higher.

Just goes to show what investment can do for you.

This post was edited on 3/11 9:57 AM by cyrock3

Originally posted by ruhudsonfan:

Originally posted by Leonard23:
Good news. Should be a top 30 b-school.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Top 30 will be tough. Inside the Top 40 is doable and likely.

The new Dean will make it happen.
Agreed. A pipeline to NYC's financial markets has to help. For example, I read the attached recent survey noting that RU's business school was in the top 12 business schools feeding the ranks of Goldman Sachs. Take a look at the other schools in the top-12. Very impressive. Quite a feather in the cap of the B school when recruiting top students.

Here's another link: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/top-feeder-colleges-google-goldman-sachs-more-john-a-byrne

"Morgan Stanley also prefers to shop locally. Four metro New York institutions - Baruch College, New York University, Rutgers University (New Brunswick), and Columbia University - ranked in the top five for undergraduate alums at Morgan Stanley."

This post was edited on 3/13 10:10 AM by RU-ROCS

RU in Goldman's Top-12

Originally posted by RU-ROCS:

Originally posted by ruhudsonfan:

Originally posted by Leonard23:
Good news. Should be a top 30 b-school.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Top 30 will be tough. Inside the Top 40 is doable and likely.

The new Dean will make it happen.
Agreed. I pipeline to NYC's financial markets has to help. For example, I read the attached recent survey noting that RU's business school was in the top 12 business schools feeding the ranks of Goldman Sachs. Take a look at the other schools in the top-12. Very impressive. Quite a feather in the cap of the B school when recruiting top students.

Here's another link: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/top-feeder-colleges-google-goldman-sachs-more-john-a-byrne

"Morgan Stanley also prefers to shop locally. Four metro New York institutions - Baruch College, New York University, Rutgers University (New Brunswick), and Columbia University - ranked in the top five for undergraduate alums at Morgan Stanley."
Good point.

RBS undergrads place exceptionally well on Wall Street, mostly due to the work of Profs. Ben Soprenzeti and John Longo.

MBA's are still struggling to land on the street. This year's placement, for class of 2015, has been much improved in management consulting--2 placements at Deloitte and 5 at North Highland--but nothing on the street. Banking placements include Wells, PNC and M&T bank. Good placements, but not top notch placements.

The good news for RU continues to be in placement rankings. We are currently Top 10 nationally (7th) in % of grads employed at 60 days after graduation and median starting salary. However, the bulk of those high end salaries are coming from the Deloitte and big Pharma placements. North Highland also pays very well (north of $120k)

Good things ahead at the B-School under new Dean Lei Lei and MBA Director Sharon Lydon.

Originally posted by lawmatt78:
Do the students like the new building? Does it help recruiting?
I'm not in it much. I'm in Newark pretty much every day. Those I speak with love it. Profs love it. So yeah, it can only help. I wouldn't say it's a huge MBA recruiting tool though. First year MBAs are in cohorts for the 1st semester which is entirely in Newark. Spring semester they break apart. However, if you want a full-time day time schedule, you pretty much have to be Newark centric. If you don't mind nights, you can do both campuses. It would be pretty difficult to do the program entirely in NB on a full-time basis. And every MBA that gets student housing is placed in Newark. Social events are like 70/30 Newark centric. Center of gravity of all admin and student services are in Newark. Department chair's offices are in Newark.

MBA program is not so great. If you ranked just undergrad program I think we would be higher. Tons of RU NB undergrads are landing great Wall St jobs and most end up actually pacing and doing really well in a quick time.

I think the MBA & Newark schools are bringing the overall ranking down. There is just not as much of a focus on those and it doesn't help to have a business school half in NB and half in Newark. Like many other programs at RU. NB should just be the flagship campus and that's it.

Originally posted by ScarletKid2008:
MBA program is not so great. If you ranked just undergrad program I think we would be higher. Tons of RU NB undergrads are landing great Wall St jobs and most end up actually pacing and doing really well in a quick time.

I think the MBA & Newark schools are bringing the overall ranking down. There is just not as much of a focus on those and it doesn't help to have a business school half in NB and half in Newark. Like many other programs at RU. NB should just be the flagship campus and that's it.
Congratulations you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

First, the rankings listed are for MBA. The rankings for graduate and professional programs are done separately. MBA program has risen from 60th to 48th in one year. Nearly unprecedented jump.

Second, best faculty in the overall business school teach both undergrads and MBAs.

Third, grad school program in MQF, Professional Accounting and Government Accounting are top 10-15 in the country.

Fourth, MBA is never going going to place high on Wall Street until all those RU undergrads you speak of start to advocate for RU at hiring time. Wall Street hiring is an efficiency game. It is more efficient, in the minds of banks, to swoop into Columbia, NYU and Wharton, as far as Northeastern schools are concerned, and get all their hiring done in one shot. That said, what you are finding among the Top 15 schools, is a lack of interest in Wall Street from their top students. They all want hedge funds, Google, Apple, Tesla, Facebook, Uber, or an equity position in a start-up. They don't want to go make $175k at Goldman running pitch books till 2:30 in the morning.

Fifth, RU MBAs in supply chain, marketing, pharma management all place at least equal to, if not better, than their counterparts at other Top 30 schools. Supply Chain and pharma management are top 5 programs nationally. Supply Chain might be the best in the country. And no program places in pharma like RU. Finance, and more specifically, Wall Street and white shoe consulting (McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Innosight) are the two areas where RU has ground to make up. But they certainly don't "bring the overall reputation of the school down." That is just dumb.

Last, the center of gravity of the MBA program will always be in Newark for financial and practical reasons. You think you are going to attract students from all over the world, many who are leaving 6 figure jobs to go to school, to live in Highland Park? The attractiveness of living in Hoboken, Jersey City, Brooklyn, lower Manhattan, is the pitch prospective students are given. Additionally, some of the best professors in the MBA program are working professionals. Much easier to get to Newark for a 6 pm class for a Street guy, than NB. And that is a primary concern when talking about NB only program. Never gonna happen. This isn't Michigan where there is little competition for geography. You go to Ross with the idea that Ann Arbor will be the center of your life for 2 years. You can't dangle Hoboken, JC, Brooklyn and NYC in front of a candidates face and then tell them to go take a 45 minute train ride to class 4x a week.

I can't speak to the quality of RU's supply chain mgt program but considering everything else in Ruhudson's post is on point that's probably accurate too.

In my view, with the right leadership, the MBA program could be top 40. As a frame of reference top 30 is Notre Dame/Georgetown territory. Even that is doable potentially.

Reaching the mystical "top ten" (which is really a top 15 or so) is probably not realistic but that shouldn't detract from the progress being made here.

Having a top 40 biz school is a flower in the cap for the university as a whole.

This post was edited on 3/22 11:43 PM by RuSnp

ADVERTISEMENT