ADVERTISEMENT

Good to see Flood and Rutgers focusing on South Jersey recruiting!

MikeRU1766

Junior
Mar 7, 2015
This has been a sore spot that has bothered me for a long time. While we do well and obtain a good portion of South Jersey recruits we go after... we have lost some big time recruits from South Jersey to teams that are WAY below us in quality of team, conference, quality of degree, etc.

For example we lost the big DL Greg Webb to TEMPLE! This just shouldn't be happening in this current day and age of Big Ten Rutgers Football.

I feel like a big reason why we do not do as well down in South Jersey as we do in Central and North Jersey is because Rutgers is not giving South Jersey the amount of attention as they deserve. Coaches and recruits want to go where they feel wanted and also where they feel at home. Hence why I am happy Flood specifically said that he wants to focus on South Jersey more.

Also, those who live in NJ know, North Jersey and South Jersey sometimes can feel like two different countries! But luckily Rutgers is located in Central Jersey and also has an extremely diverse student population. This is a positive to players from both sections of NJ because they can come to Rutgers and feel at home and also find similar people to themselves if they feel the need.

This has been a sore spot that has bothered me for a long time. While we do well and obtain a good portion of South Jersey recruits we go after... we have lost some big time recruits from South Jersey to teams that are WAY below us in quality of team, conference, quality of degree, etc.

For example we lost the big DL Greg Webb to TEMPLE! This just shouldn't be happening in this current day and age of Big Ten Rutgers Football.

I feel like a big reason why we do not do as well down in South Jersey as we do in Central and North Jersey is because Rutgers is not giving South Jersey the amount of attention as they deserve. Coaches and recruits want to go where they feel wanted and also where they feel at home. Hence why I am happy Flood specifically said that he wants to focus on South Jersey more.

Also, those who live in NJ know, North Jersey and South Jersey sometimes can feel like two different countries! But luckily Rutgers is located in Central Jersey and also has an extremely diverse student population. This is a positive to players from both sections of NJ because they can come to Rutgers and feel at home and also find similar people to themselves if they feel the need.

Please stop spreading this lie. It bad when Rutgers fans spread the lie, so the same people can't get upset when outsiders repeat it. Webb had academic issues that caused him to leave UNC and have trouble getting into Rutgers if he signed.

Oh is that what happened? I had no idea about Webb's academic issues I had never heard anything about that and I tend to read most of the articles that are out there...

Thank you for the update! And if it is true, it makes me feel much better that Webb didn't attend Rutgers because he wouldn't be able to handle academics and not because he was choosing Temple over Rutgers. (Which is surprising though since Rutgers has one of the best academic support staffs going.)

Do you have a link where they describe the academic issues being Webb's reason for having to attend Temple and not Rutgers or has this information never been published before?

Oh is that what happened? I had no idea about Webb's academic issues I had never heard anything about that and I tend to read most of the articles that are out there...

Thank you for the update! And if it is true, it makes me feel much better that Webb didn't attend Rutgers because he wouldn't be able to handle academics and not because he was choosing Temple over Rutgers. (Which is surprising though since Rutgers has one of the best academic support staffs going.)

Do you have a link where they describe the academic issues being Webb's reason for having to attend Temple and not Rutgers or has this information never been published before?

There was an article on nj.com by T. Hunt talking about academic being an issue for Webb. It was the main reason he left UNC. It's been stated that JUCO transfers have a difficult getting into Rutgers because of the requirements. Webb was at a JUCO at the time he committed to Rutgers. Shortly after he discovered he may not be accepted into Rutgers because of the requirements even as he continued to work through the spring semester to make it to campus. Temple became a real option and Webb decided that was best for him. It's not a given he'll make it to Temple this summer.

Reactions: RU-BS
There was an article . Ion nj.com by T. Hunt talking about academic being an issue for Webb. It was the main reason he left UNC. It's been stated that JUCO transfers have a difficult getting into Rutgers because of the requirements. Webb was at a JUCO at the time he committed to Rutgers. Shortly after he discovered he may not be accepted into Rutgers because of the requirements even as he continued to work through the spring semester to make it to campus. Temple became a real option and Webb decided that was best for him. It's not a given he'll make it to Temple this summer.

Good information and thought process! I wish Webb the best either way.. I would have loved to see him in Scarlet, White, and Black, but obviously Rutgers is a great school that respects its own academic requirements.

Here's what you're asking for , but surprised you don't remember all the talk here when he flipped.
This is Todd's article that doug mentioned
>However, he must first significantly bolster his academic qualifications before playing anywhere — an issue currently affecting his quest for a collegiate destination.<
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...om_rutgers_to_temple_on_juco_signing_day.html

Very random and I will be shocked if anyone knows this information, but does anyone know the academic entry requirements to play football at Rutgers compared to the academic entry requirements for Temple?

The other question I just thought of is since he is playing at Community College right now.... are Webb's academic issues actually with the NCAA in general and not with a specific school? Is it possible that his grades aren't where they need to be to play D1 football in general never mind the school he wishes to play for?

Do you think there is a good possibility that Webb had academic issues (he was separated) from a school that has zero academic integrity when it comes to D1 athletes. How bad must it have been when you can't manage to get through no show courses, and you have people willing to change grades for you and you still manage to get academically separated?

Very random and I will be shocked if anyone knows this information, but does anyone know the academic entry requirements to play football at Rutgers compared to the academic entry requirements for Temple?

The other question I just thought of is since he is playing at Community College right now.... are Webb's academic issues actually with the NCAA in general and not with a specific school? Is it possible that his grades aren't where they need to be to play D1 football in general never mind the school he wishes to play for?

He could have a 4.0 at the juco and graduate Summa Cum Laude and still be ineligible for Rutgers. The classes have to be transferable.

South Jersey is Penn State territory. Philly media when it does finally get around to college football discusses Penn State, Temple, Penn, then maybe Rutgers and Villanova and the smaller schools. If you grow up in South Jersey Rutgers often is more of an unknown then Penn State. I don't know what would happen if Temple ever got its act together, but even though they play in a lesser conference that would be even more competition for the limited air time in the area.

You guys up North need to remember this is Eagles country down here, we identify with PA like a lot of you do NY up there. You guys benefit because you don't have a dominant college football program in NY that the NY media considers local even though they are located three hours away. If you did Rutgers might not even be in the B1G right now.

He's supposed to be coming in with Temple's class of 2015 and so far no word on if he'll be eligible .
So anyone can guess, but the fact is he could have been part of Temple's spring practice, if he was eligible to be admitted to that school.

If I'm not mistaken :He should have received his associate degree from Hutchinson C.C and been on campus as a student , by the time Temple's spring practice started. So qualifying ass a student seems to be the issue and might still be taking courses in an effort to qualify
to attend Temple .

Hey he can pad his stats and take basket weaving to get his GPA up

We were both recruiting him, he chose Temple over Rutgers,lets move on.

He's supposed to be coming in with Temple's class of 2015 and so far no word on if he'll be eligible .
So anyone can guess, but the fact is he could have been part of Temple's spring practice, if he was eligible to be admitted to that school.

If I'm not mistaken :He should have received his associate degree from Hutchinson C.C and been on campus as a student , by the time Temple's spring practice started. So qualifying ass a student seems to be the issue and might still be taking courses in an effort to qualify
to attend Temple .

He's not listed as a 2015 graduate of Hutchinson CC. I'm guessing that probably has to be a bit of an issue for qualification.
http://www.hutchcc.edu/docs/records/2015-Grad-Poster/VERTICAL_POSTER_5_20150409.pdf

People who make posts like this make zero sense to me...

Mike

You are so right. This is how idiotic posts spread misinformation. Soon everyone believes it's true and we know how hard it is to reverse that perception.

We were both recruiting him, he chose Temple over Rutgers,lets move on.
As stated above... Dumb post. He wasn't getting Into Rutgers and most likely Temple either. I was told at one point he was failing 4 of his 5 JUCO classes and he sink pay didn't care. Same goes with a few of the kids everyone thinks we missed out on last year. Be curious come August to see which kids never set foot on a campus

I spend a lot of time down in south jersey....and I will tell you it is NOT penn state territory like it was 20 years ago....Period

As it should, Rutgers merchandise sells way, way better from the home state school than PSU and others.....

The Philadelphia media covers Penn State sports much better than RU because Philly is a Pennsy town...and there is a spill over effect from a media perspective...the reality is that the fan interest is still Eagles first, second, and third...and when college football comes to conversation...Rutgers has a slight advantage over PSU right now.

It going to take a while to crack the Philly media portion of the equation...but the grassroots are slightly more red than blue now.

Keep winning and it will progress

So let's review the debunked nonsense in this thread:
This kid did not pick Temple over us.
He did not have an opportunity to come here.
His not coming here is not evidence of half hearted South Jersey recruiting.
Our competitors like to forment the RU doesn't care about SJ nonsense because it serves their interest. Don't buy into it and check your inferiority complex at the door.

I agree with Scarlet Shack. See lots of R magnets down here in Camden County than ever before. RU should reach out to South Jersey and Philadelphia media more.

I spend a lot of time down in south jersey....and I will tell you it is NOT penn state territory like it was 20 years ago....Period

As it should, Rutgers merchandise sells way, way better from the home state school than PSU and others.....

The Philadelphia media covers Penn State sports much better than RU because Philly is a Pennsy town...and there is a spill over effect from a media perspective...the reality is that the fan interest is still Eagles first, second, and third...and when college football comes to conversation...Rutgers has a slight advantage over PSU right now.

It going to take a while to crack the Philly media portion of the equation...but the grassroots are slightly more red than blue now.

Keep winning and it will progress

I do not know the actual statistics but there are many students from south Jersey attending Rutgers as north Jersey students and from a % of the population I would guess there are more % of the population from S. Jersey then N. Jersey.
Can some one verify or refute?

I have to give OP some major props for doing something 90% of us have never done on this board. He opened with a statement and then was very receptive to discussion that refuted his original statement.
I think I have seen this only once or twice in 10 years. Lol

Reactions: j10oreo
I have to give OP some major props for doing something 90% of us have never done on this board. He opened with a statement and then was very receptive to discussion that refuted his original statement.
I think I have seen this only once or twice in 10 years. Lol

He's a trend setter .... just beating to the sound of his own drum lol

ADVERTISEMENT