ADVERTISEMENT

Gopre, Nelson and Ports

What about Ports? Prep school?

Nelsons problem seems to be that he sucked at football at CC.
What about Ports? Prep school?

Nelsons problem seems to be that he sucked at football at CC.

No reason to take a shot at Nelson. When you bring in a JUCO player, you want to make sure you have a need at that position that will at least give them a clear path to playing time. Nelson played WDE at NCC, the same position he was recruited at Rutgers. But since that time, Turay becoming a NFL prospect at that position, you have Nash probably backing him up this season. You add a freshman four star with Ford coming in to have 5 to play 4. You could also see Lambert playing there as he played there last year. It is a very crowded position and would not be in both parties interest to make it more crowded. At the same time, Nelson is probably better suited for playing in a conference that is less run oriented and more pass oriented like the Big 12. Rutgers is trying to get bigger across the defensive line and Nelson is more like what we use to like at the R position. I think the position is becoming less of a hybrid (DE/LB) and more like a true DE. Nelson is more of a hybrid who can move back and forth to LB when needed and has that skillset to cover the TE. Nelson is a talented player but just not a great fit now for Rutgers. Two years things can change a lot so we will see if Rutgers has a need to bring in veterans where Gopre and Ports are playing. While Gopre was a stud in high school, we have a 4 LB class coming in and that might get crowded too. Almost every time we have seen Rutgers bring in a JUCO, there was a big need.

No reason to take a shot at Nelson. When you bring in a JUCO player, you want to make sure you have a need at that position that will at least give them a clear path to playing time. Nelson played WDE at NCC, the same position he was recruited at Rutgers. But since that time, Turay becoming a NFL prospect at that position, you have Nash probably backing him up this season. You add a freshman four star with Ford coming in to have 5 to play 4. You could also see Lambert playing there as he played there last year. It is a very crowded position and would not be in both parties interest to make it more crowded. At the same time, Nelson is probably better suited for playing in a conference that is less run oriented and more pass oriented like the Big 12. Rutgers is trying to get bigger across the defensive line and Nelson is more like what we use to like at the R position. I think the position is becoming less of a hybrid (DE/LB) and more like a true DE. Nelson is more of a hybrid who can move back and forth to LB when needed and has that skillset to cover the TE. Nelson is a talented player but just not a great fit now for Rutgers. Two years things can change a lot so we will see if Rutgers has a need to bring in veterans where Gopre and Ports are playing. While Gopre was a stud in high school, we have a 4 LB class coming in and that might get crowded too. Almost every time we have seen Rutgers bring in a JUCO, there was a big need.

Well said and it would be a nice story if Nelson can eventually suit up for RU.

One thing that's been consistent for all the years I've been around here is that JUCO's have a very tough time getting accepted to RU. No inside info but for that reason alone I'm not counting on any of the 3 ever suiting up for the Knights.

Looking in the past, Hendrickson was qualified out of HS and I believe Johnson also was this year. Stephenson graduated early from JC but I don't remember his story out of HS. Don't remember Stapletons story.

What's the story with these guys? Is Ports at Milford Academy? Gopre at JuCo? I know Nelson is a long shot but we could REALLY use Ports in the secondary and Gopre is needed at LB.

What's the story with these guys? Is Ports at Milford Academy? Gopre at JuCo? I know Nelson is a long shot but we could REALLY use Ports in the secondary and Gopre is needed at LB.
I think they are all at Juco. Gopre basically wasted a year at prep. It would probably be a waste for Ports to go to prep. Good question though, we should check the Nassau CC roster.

Don't want any kids that would be a stretch to keep them eligible (see August/Sept 2015).

ADVERTISEMENT