ADVERTISEMENT

Gorgeous Female Twins leaving NJ for our B1G Peers

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
They are from an affluent NJ town, are very good students, and their parents can send them anywhere they want to go. This one HURTS, because their parents BADLY WANT them to go to Rutgers. So much so, that they offered them new cars, yet the twins preferred going away to school, because they have the incorrect perception that they will receive a superior education elsewhere. I can understand going to a smaller private school, but going to our B1G peers is a bit much to take, and they will be paying double due to out of state tuition. I don't want to say which schools, because then it would be easy to identify who i'm talking about. Yet they have a clear rationale, and have backed up their choices with statistics, likely gleaned from the US News and World Report survey. so while i don't agree with their conclusions, I can understand it, and respect their final decisions.

You can strongly argue for rutgers, if the schools were close in the survey. Problem is the schools aren't close in the survey. Michigan, Northwestern, Penn State, Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Indiana and others are ranked significantly HIGHER than Rutgers. For example, rutgers is ranked #70 and Michigan is ranked #29. 70 is the WORST I can remember rutgers being ranked in the survey. This creates a significant gap in perception of educational quality.

So their parents have acquiesced to their choices, as ultimately, they want their children to be happy.

For me, this speaks VOLUMES about why we have struggled recruiting against our B1G peers. when you combine, the perception of education, add in facilities, and name coaches, it shouldn't be difficult for fans to understand why the best Jersey recruits are going elsewhere. And the irony of it all is that We BEAT Michigan, yet Michigan is poised to land some of the best recruits in NJ. (They already got Ron Johnson, and probably will grab more.)

People in other states take pride in where they live. You're taught to warship the state of Texas as a toddler, it's gods country to them, it's ingrained and bred into them It's that way in the majority of states.
Here we're Jersey tough, that's about as positive a statement we make about where we live, we walk around defending our state constantly because everyone makes fun of it, yea I know your going to say intelligent people don't talk about us poorly, but like it or not we all know that's BS, everyone dumps on us.
The perception and the people of NJ are what we are, it's not gonna change. The greatest thing we can do for our state pride is win football game at Rutgers University, most of you disagree I know...but if were great in football the whole perception of our state would change, that's how big, BIG time college football is.

Well here's a thought..tell them "here's your college funding = to cost of Rutgers. Anything > that is one you".....but since they were offered freakin cars from the savings of staying home sounds like the usual pay whatever the kids want to make them happy stuff.

Reactions: miketd1
What makes me think that Al has knowledge of this through some stalker-friendly laptop camera hack?

RU's education quality is on par with any school in the country and the professors are top notch credentials wise almost across the board. This has been the case for a while, though we sometimes lose the top ones (even long-tenured ones like Paul Fussel, for example) to higher paying folks.

However, in terms of the overall education and "college" experience, not just the elite ones like Northwestern and Michigan, or the very good ones like Wisconsin, but virtually all B1G schools are better funded than RU and that leads to the type of creature comforts (pretty campuses, gaudy student centers and Rec facilities) and other user-friendly attributes that make them more appealing than RU to students who have the freedom to chose a school not based on ability to afford it. This has always been the issue with RU. Being in a fading industrial town like New Brunswick (despite its major, possitie renaissance the last few years) doesn't help. New Brunswick is perceived - to some extent correctly, as being a town that has dangerous areas and a high crime rate. Other college towns like New Haven have the same rep, but there you're talking about Yale, so people can look past it.

Also, because, among other things, there has never been a consistent powerhouse State U athletics team in any sport in NJ to rally behind (unlike places like Indiana, Texas, Ohio, Michigan, etc.) folks in NJ have much more of an identity with their town or region ("the shore"...) than they do with their state. Of course this is a vicious cycle -if there were more support (and the funding that goes with it) there'd likely be better sports teams.

Poor decision on the part of the twins unless they are setting their sights on only an undergraduate degree. But I understand the image problem Rutgers has in the state. If you are going into one of the professions then where you go to graduate school means significantly more than your undergraduate degree. Parents should have offered to subsidize grad school. Rutgers ranking is depressed by abysmal alumni giving which US News & World Reports thinks is a key criteria. It's rating even in US News should improve with the merger of the medical school. It has a good but not outstanding reputation. Do well at Rutgers and you can go anywhere you want. The small advantage to going to anyone of the named schools except possibly Northwestern is not worth the additional cost. For a case in point, my brother in law, a Maine resident, graduated from the University of Maine then got his PHD at Yale. He used to run the Mechanical Engineering program at Boston University now runs Mechanical Engineering at Oxford University in England.

I lay this on the parents more than the kids, as they should have set their expectations from the beginning. As you said, if they were choosing Brown, MIT, UPenn, etc. over RU than there's no argument to be made. But if they're choosing Illinois, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc., well.....

Spank-
What the hell, they wanna go away to college like 99% of the children of parents in NJ who can afford it do. This is not the parents fault

Reactions: RURM85
Would you ever in a million years do that to your very good student kid, if you had the money to send them anywhere they wanted to go?
absolutely.. if you're paying for it all then you should have a say in it

It is not just perception when comparing RU to most B1G counterparts - the campus user-friendliness and creature comfort difference is very real. And that is important to many kids who have a financial choice.

Also, I respectfully disagree with you, DJ, regarding not worth picking Michigan over RU (and lumping Michigan in the same group of Nebraska, etc.) - the campus experience and top notch nature of the student body and profs at Michigan, as well as its reputation in the national job market make it a tough school to turn down, even at the additional cost. Wisconsin less so, but the overall campus life and experience there (notwithstanding the frigid temps there), including comparing Madison to NB, also make it a very attractive alternative to NJ folks. Where money is an issue, Wisconsin might not be worth the cost differential compared to RU as Michigan is, but the experience at Wisconsin certainly is exceptionally positive and the academics are also quite good.

Another school in the B1G that has come on very strong in the last few years nationally is U MD. It's academic reputation has increased exponentially. Still far from elite, but getting more and more difficult to get into and increasingly a choice of private school kids who don't get into the Ivies, etc and others without financial limitations on college choice.

Maybe they just want to get away from their parents?

Sorry - are these athletes, or two regular ladies picking where they want to go to school?

If the latter - who in the **** cares?

Man this free board is retarded.

Spank-
What the hell, they wanna go away to college like 99% of the children of parents in NJ who can afford it do. This is not the parents fault
+1

It's not our decision. It's theirs.

Rutgers is not everybody's cup of tea. I happen to like tea. But if you like coffee, good for you.

Would you ever in a million years do that to your very good student kid, if you had the money to send them anywhere they wanted to go?
I agree 100%. The happier the kids are in their environment the more likely they are to succeed in college. So many studies have been done to prove this. Hopefully most of this is message board tough guy speak. Successful people have come out of all kinds of schools. So just because a school is lower rated doesn't mean you won't be as successful in life.

It's getting pretty ridiculous when there's angst on the board over two students who aren't even football players committing to another school.

Reactions: ScarletNYC
The choice of attending a particular college is a personal decision. Many students just want to go away to college. Other students want a college with a prestigious academic reputation such as Michigan and Wisconsin. Other students want a beautiful and / or traditional campus setting.

A knock on Rutgers is that it's spread over several campuses in mixed urban and suburban environments requiring shuttle buses to get to various classes and activities.

If I am paying, unless my children are going to an Ivy, they are staying home.

Some parents want the best for their children regardless of cost. Some parents are more practical. That's what makes the world go round.

Some parents want the best for their children regardless of cost. Some parents are more practical. That's what makes the world go round.

I'm cool with that. But in some cases the best for their children might include a school with comparable academics and less debt on the back end. Not every kid is getting through school without 200k in debt by going out of state. As long as they realize that they will be paying their student loans back well into their 40s, good for them. And if their parents can foot the bill 100% thats cool too.....as long as the kids aren't guilting their parents into destroying their retirement so they can get an equivalent education just so they can brag to their friends that they are going to Michigan or Wisconsin.

Reactions: batts
There is not 1 mention in this thread about what sport you are referring to. How does everyone know what he's talking about???

Not sure how Penn State is ranked significantly higher than RU. Going through the college search and soon application process. Right now, my daughter is on the bubble for an RU acceptance but will get in fairly easily at Penn State. Doesn't quite match up with US News and World Report. According to them, it should be the reverse.

Day 1: I have tried every browser at my disposal and it blows my mind because the pics just refuse to load.

Day 2: I have concluded that I must have received some sort of virus through my email. I have canceled all email accounts and reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Pics still not loading.

Day 3: I'm running out of options here. There must be some glitch in the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Operating System. Thanks Bill Gates. Switching to MAC OS X maybe this will prove effective.

Day 4: MAC OS X installation complete. I'm drawing a blank here. Pics still won't load. After ruling out software errors, I am convinced that there must be some lingering mechanical failure in my system. I have placed an order to newegg for rush delivery of a new Western Digital Caviar Black HDD. Will give this another shot tomorrow.

Day 5: Harddrive has arrived and has been installed. To no avail, the pictures will not load. I have not shaved or showered in a week. My clothes stink. I have lost my job...all because these confounded pictures will not load. I'm done with the whole electronics thing. I will be moving into an Amish community and this will be my last update on this issue. Good luck and good riddance.

768a0d3b467636daae66e9f6d2179887.jpg

+1

It's not our decision. It's theirs.

Rutgers is not everybody's cup of tea. I happen to like tea. But if you like coffee, good for you.
If they have scholarships that cover most of the tuition, then yes, it's their decision. People that say that can afford it means to me that they don't need student loans and have a couple of millions for their own retirement after paying their tuition. There are way too many parents that say it's the kid decisions. Crazy unless their have full scholarships or are paying their own way.

I remember some poor kid from Virginia on CNN saying that she has to go to NYC because she was admitted. The parents agreed even though they didn't have the money.

This thread is worthless without pictures (of the young ladies in question).

If they have scholarships that cover most of the tuition, then yes, it's their decision. People that say that can afford it means to me that they don't need student loans and have a couple of millions for their own retirement after paying their tuition. There are way too many parents that say it's the kid decisions. Crazy unless their have full scholarships or are paying their own way.

I remember some poor kid from Virginia on CNN saying that she has to go to NYC because she was admitted. The parents agreed even though they didn't have the money.
My "theirs" was meant for the family, not just the young ladies in question.

Again, it's really none of our business what they do.

ADVERTISEMENT