ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Lewis

PhilaPhans

Best Poster Ever!
Apr 23, 2005
Gibbstown, NJ
Congrats to the guy for sticking around and finally giving us another one of those four-year developing players, where the guy continues to get better and better every year!

First of all, where have all these message board discussions about "will he stay or go" come from? Just pure speculation based on the early graduation (thanks to the RS year)? Or is this actual chatter?

Assuming that he stays (which is the better guess in my mind), how do you think he shapes up this year? Do you think he can improve his stats any? Do you think he's reached his peak (which is still solid, mind you)? How do you think we split up the minutes at the 4/5 this year?

For some reason I've never been a big fan. Maybe its because I expect more out of him and think he's inconsistent. I have to respect him for sticking with the program though and looks like he'll be starting next year. I'm hoping he'll be a guy that averages 8 points 6 rebounds and plays solid defense. And could be a leader for a young team

My opinion is we will see the guys that stay in the program improve going forward. I think we have an excellent staff from a player development perspective. That is why it is important to get guys selected by the staff that buy in to EJ's style and vision. The first couple of years were a bit frantic and the results poor, but I think patience (and some investment in facilities) will be rewarded.

I think Lewis has become a serviceable big. Hes put the time in to develop a jump shot which we so desperately need. I also loved the game this year where he had a little scuffle with another teams player, he mouthed FU to him and showed some toughness.

He made one of the biggest leaps forward of any RU player in a long time last year. Just because he wasn't a 15 point a game scorer doesn't mean he wasn't tremendously important. Before last year he averaged about a foul a minute but he became a steady presence on the boards and on D. Eddie made some strange comment late in the season about hoping to keep Lewis around which probably has fed into this thought that he's a transfer candidate. Also there seems to be a rash of graduate transfers now. That said, based on Jerry Carino's article last week about RU continuing to recruit despite no open ships, Carino clearly intimated that one of incoming recruits (not Sanders) was a non qualifier candidate.

Reactions: mfgiguy
I would like to congratulate myself (Daniel perry reference for you message board old timers) for saying before the season started he would step up big time

We have had such a dysfunctional program here for so long that we forget that unless the kids a top 50/100 player they need a couple of years. Especially big men. Especially big men who suffer successive knee injuries

I love what Greg brings to this team and would he severely disappointed if he's not around next year.

We are going after Brodziansky pretty hard so you have to think there is at least another potential roster change in the works.

For some reason I've never been a big fan. Maybe its because I expect more out of him and think he's inconsistent. I have to respect him for sticking with the program though and looks like he'll be starting next year. I'm hoping he'll be a guy that averages 8 points 6 rebounds and plays solid defense. And could be a leader for a young team

I think people lose sight of the value of solid players, and don't do justice to some players because their expectations are for them to become superstars. In my opinion, in the second half of last season Greg Lewis was one of our most consistent players defensively, on the glass, and shooting the ball. He didn't take a ton of shots, but I think he recognized that he is not one of the premier scoring options on the team, and that selfless recognition actually improves the offense and made him highly efficient. I'd rather have an efficient scorer with 8 pts a game on 6 shots, than an inefficient scorer having 14 points on 12 shots.

Reactions: RUMountie
I know this is a lovefest, but if Diallo doesn't start and play most of the minutes, I don't see how this years team can be much better than last year. If Eddie tells Lewis that, he will probably go somewhere else.

I know this is a lovefest, but if Diallo doesn't start and play most of the minutes, I don't see how this years team can be much better than last year. If Eddie tells Lewis that, he will probably go somewhere else.

We had many problems last season, but Greg Lewis was not one them. He has improved very much and will be a solid contributor this season.

Whether he starts or comes off the bench, Lewis is a team player and that's the kind of player RU needs.
Lewis has improved and the way he'll play next season should show even more.

He has a good mid range shot. We the floor more wide open with a penetrating point and shooters to spread the floor he should get more open looks. Jordan mentioned that he wants him to take that mid range shot....he hit many year and should hit more tis year......8 pts and 5 boards is what we need from him...a few shots, a post score and one rebound put back gets him 8 points per game.

Let's put the myth of Greg Lewis to rest. He is a great person. But, he is the kind of player you find on the LAST PLACE basketball team.

Avg Mins Avg Rbds Avg Pts
2014/2015 23.8 4.5 5.3
2013/2014 9.8 2.0 1.5

Given the huge increase in minutes, Greg did not really improve that much. His rebounds per minute actually declined. He does not block shots. He does not distribute. He is not a great man-to-man defender. He doesn't provide consistently effective weak side help. He is not a high energy guy. He is not a team leader. The main way that his game has improved is that he in no longer a foul giving machine.

In three years, his highest point in a game is 14. In the Seton Hall loss last year he played 24 minutes and had Zero points. In the St. Peter's loss last year he played 16 minutes and had 1 point. In the St. Francis PA loss last year he played 20 minutes and had 1 point. In the MSU and OSU losses he also had ZERO points. In the three of the last 4 games, he scored only 2 points. I know it's Rutgers and you can point to a lot of guys that aren't getting it done, but Greg is one of them.

Knight, do you root for him to lose,too? Why not just get support a player?

You bring up all his bad games, Why not talk about his game against one of the best teams in the country-Maryland? It's not all negative. When you tear an acl, you have to rehab and refine your game. Lewis is in the process of doing that and hell be an important part of a young team this year.

You bring up all his bad games, Why not talk about his game against one of the best teams in the country-Maryland? It's not all negative. When you tear an acl, you have to rehab and refine your game. Lewis is in the process of doing that and hell be an important part of a young team this year.

Absolutely....his role will be to hit the mid-range jump-shot. Jordan stated on multiple occasions that he wants him to take that shot.

Definitely a nice shot. Years back people hated on Lewis because he tore his acl, now he is on the court and playing at a decent level and people still hate on his game.

What gives?

Last edited:

Also what should be part of being a team player and ones improving their game is:
did Greg do the little things that go unnoticed in stats that help the team's and other players stats.
Sometimes we get so caught up in stats, we forget about how a player does the little things and has improve on:
Screen for their teammates
Hustle down the floor in transition
Crash the boards
Help teammates get in the right position
Don't give up middle penetration
Box out physically on the D
Take charges
Help out quickly when needed.

Those who have seen Greg during his RU career (hopefully) can say if he has improved in those areas or leaves a lot to be desired in them.
Besides just looking at his stats, Greg's all around play needs to be looked at before judging him.

Good points, mad hat. He makes a lot of plays behind the scenes and doesn't turn the ball over that often. He seems to know his role and game.

Lewis has improved statistically almost across the board - hopefully the trend continues upward (Hamady finally managed to stay out of foul trouble as a senior, and his performance took off - so, fingers are crossed).

Points/40 min:
2012 - 3.7
2013 - 6.3
2014 - 8.8

Rebounds/40 min:
2012 - 6.7
2013 - 8.1
2014 - 7.5

Turnovers/40 min:
2012 - 4.9
2013 - 2.8
2014 - 2.3

Steals/40 min:
2012 - 0.0
2013 - 0.3
2014 - 1.1

PF/40 min:
2012 - 9.0
2013 - 7.4
2014 - 4.9

Assist/Turnover Ratio:
2012 - 0.4
2013 - 0.5
2014 - 0.7

Let's put the myth of Greg Lewis to rest. He is a great person. But, he is the kind of player you find on the LAST PLACE basketball team.

2014/2015 23.8 4.5 5.3
2013/2014 9.8 2.0 1.5

Given the huge increase in minutes, Greg did not really improve that much. His rebounds per minute actually declined. He does not block shots. He does not distribute. He is not a great man-to-man defender. He doesn't provide consistently effective weak side help. He is not a high energy guy. He is not a team leader. The main way that his game has improved is that he in no longer a foul giving machine.

In three years, his highest point in a game is 14. In the Seton Hall loss last year he played 24 minutes and had Zero points. In the St. Peter's loss last year he played 16 minutes and had 1 point. In the St. Francis PA loss last year he played 20 minutes and had 1 point. In the MSU and OSU losses he also had ZERO points. In the three of the last 4 games, he scored only 2 points. I know it's Rutgers and you can point to a lot of guys that aren't getting it done, but Greg is one of them.

Agreed. GL is a marginal player and would only find real minutes in the B1G on RU. Sorry, but true.

2014/2015 23.8 4.5 5.3
2013/2014 9.8 2.0 1.5

What a doosh post. What 'myth' exactly? A player who most wrote of but managed to have a productive season (relative to our team)?

How about recognizing a kid who is a team player, who does things the right way, and who worked his ass off to get better.

Nah...that would be terrible because this is college sports after all...sigh...

Congratulations for being an awesome fan! We need more of you!!

What a doosh post. What 'myth' exactly? A player who most wrote of but managed to have a productive season (relative to our team)?

How about recognizing a kid who is a team player, who does things the right way, and who worked his ass off to get better.

Nah...that would be terrible because this is college sports after all...sigh...

Congratulations for being an awesome fan! We need more of you!!

I might add that the lack of a true point guard has hampered this team for many years. As much as I loved Mack he was NOT a true point guard that made his teammates better. When it is all said and done "guards when championships". Someone has to get the ball in the hands of the scorers while presenting a scoring threat themselves.

Mack was that guy i thought this year,cpcu. Other years no though. What do you think?I agree guard play is of most importance.

Mack was that guy i thought this year,cpcu. Other years no though. What do you think?I agree guard play is of most importance.

Higgins....I also love Mack, but, how many times did you see him dribble penetrate into the lane, draw defensive help and dish to an open man?

In fact, going back many years, how many Rutgers guards could dribble penetrate into the lane? The recruitment of really good point guards has been a big issue.

Eli Carter was not a PG, but he could get into the lane.

Last edited:
That wasn't part of Macks skillset. Not a quick,beat you off the dribble player. When you think about a PG thought-what do you look at?I look at asisst. Unselfish play. Mack dished the ball well this year.

Agree, one of the things a PG needs to do is keep the ball moving on offense, but, the number 1 thing I want to see from a PG is dribble penetration.....think Yogi Ferrel from Indiana, penetrate and dish.

No doubt. Mack wasn't that player though. Where Sanders is a high level athlete, Mack came in with a jump shot,a 3, and was a great foul shooter.

I like to see that too. It's the game right now. But Mack improved as a pg by a lot this year. If your PG has sticky hands, your team will fail.

No doubt. Mack wasn't that player though. Where Sanders is a high level athlete, Mack came in with a jump shot,a 3, and was a great foul shooter.

I like to see that too. It's the game right now. But Mack improved as a pg by a lot this year. If your PG has sticky hands, your team will fail.
Rice recruited Mack as a shooting 2-guard, and he was a very, very good one. Hurley Sr. admitted at the time that Mack needed a lot of defensive improvement for D-1 level competition. Seagears was supposed to be the wheeling & dealing PG. Of course that and everything else imploded under Rice.

Mack did improve as a PG under Jordan but not enough playing in the B1G or even against the better AAC teams. Maybe Mack progressed to a decent mid-major PG, just not his skill set as noted earlier against high-caliber competition.

Good stuff,rc. Yogi farell stats are a 16, 3 and 5 type of player.
Myles mack is a 14,4,4 player. I understand what you're saying though.

Good stuff,rc. Yogi farell stats are a 16, 3 and 5 type of player.
Myles mack is a 14,4,4 player. I understand what you're saying though.
Stat line comps are interesting, but 1st Team All Big 10 Yogi gets taken over Mack at PG 10 out of 10x.

Bigru, i hear you. I say 7/10. I thought Macks leadership this year was great, his heart was there every game, he passed the ball well. I liked him as a player.

Having Sanders next year break down the D and get into the paint, will get Greg a lot of open opportunities.

I have expected more out of Greg over the years, but that being said he can still be a solid contributor to this team. And that is what we need!!!!

With the same minutes this year, I can see him improving to maybe 8 pts / 6 rbs this season. He might break out this year and do better, but that's about where I expect him to be as a senior.

Bigru, i hear you. I say 7/10. I thought Macks leadership this year was great, his heart was there every game, he passed the ball well. I liked him as a player.
His defense was a big reason we lost so many games the last 4 years. Can't be overlooked.

ADVERTISEMENT