ADVERTISEMENT

Guess We Still have 1 Game to Fill Next Year

We will still play 1AA teams most likely every year, Delaney was already told, a couple of years ago, by Barry Alvarez that in order to have 7 Home games a year that Wisconsin will continue to play FCS teams every year. Don't think what Delaney said was a rule for the B1G but more of a wish that B1G teams would not play FCS teams, but with an unbalanced schedule of Conference games the only way to get 7 Home games every year is to buy a game & the cost of games has gone through the roof, so expect RU to continue to play FCS teams every year.

One and done with a MAC team. There are more teams with openings then you think

I would HOPE we can get ARMY to return the visit to us

The Army game was supposed to be a two game series at Yankee Stadium for 2015 and 2016

The 2016 game was cancelled and the 2015 game went to West Point. Hopefully, they will reciprocate and add a 2016 game at RU to make it a true home and home

TRU, this is something new today. All 14 schools agreed to it.
This will kill the schools with smaller stadiums, there are already bidding wars with teams from the MAC etc, bought games will be over $1 million for non P5 teams & schools with small stadiums will be at a huge disadvantage.

This is new. However, the loophole is that you can play the FCS games that were previous scheduled before the new rule. So Rutgers has two more to go.

Rutgers already brought a one and done game with New Mexico. Expect more of those types of games moving forward. Also note that UMass will go independent soon, so that can become a cheap series.

I would HOPE we can get ARMY to return the visit to us

The Army game was supposed to be a two game series at Yankee Stadium for 2015 and 2016

The 2016 game was cancelled and the 2015 game went to West Point. Hopefully, they will reciprocate and add a 2016 game at RU to make it a true home and home
I would hope not Army ...

This is new. However, the loophole is that you can play the FCS games that were previous scheduled before the new rule. So Rutgers has two more to go.

Rutgers already brought a one and done game with New Mexico. Expect more of those types of games moving forward. Also note that UMass will go independent soon, so that can become a cheap series.

Yes, there is no problem for next year...

2016 Rutgers Football Schedule

• 09/03 – at Washington
  • 09/10 – Howard
  • 09/17 – New Mexico
  • 09/24 – Iowa
  • 10/01 – at Ohio State
  • 10/08 – Michigan
  • 10/15 – Illinois
  • 10/22 – at Minnesota
  • 10/29 – Open Date
  • 11/05 – Indiana
  • 11/12 – at Michigan State
  • 11/19 – Penn State
  • 11/26 – at Maryland

Yukon should jump on a 3 and 1 series with us if we offer it with their one home game in 2030. By that time we should be solvent enough to buy out of their home game, that is if they haven't dropped to FCS by then and forfeit.

Last edited:
As fans if season ticket package prices would stay the same which would you prefer:

A. $385 for Season tickets that included: 6 home games with 3 BCS home and home games in the non conference schedule

or

B. $385 for Season tickets that included: 7 home games with 1 BCS home and home games and two rent a victim games in the non conference schedule

I personally would prefer option A.

Are the games with Washington,UCLA,Miami, and Temple still expected to be played as home and homes ?

I like the New Mexico game since it is really a totally different opponent than we are used to seeing. With the potential of increased injury from the style of play by Army and Navy, I prefer to see a more traditional school instead.

We should try to get a home and home or a 2-1 with UNLV, easy to beat and we all get a excuse to go to Vegas for the away game. Can't lose!

Also, maybe try to get..... Buffalo back on the schedule... or not.

Reactions: RU at the shore
how about a 1 and done with doormat 1AA teams like uconn, syracuse or temple? Sure it's a rent a win game but it is regional.

Last edited:
Reactions: ron313
We should be playing all MACs, AACs and bottom feeders like Wake Forest and Kansas every year.

No B1G vs FCS starting in 2016 according to Delaney. Currently, we have Howard penciled in on 9/10/16.
Later, he said that contractual agreements would be taken into account (which I took to mean no new FCS games would be signed but a lot of the already announced ones would be played) and that this was an "AD agreement", meaning the 14 AD's have said they will do this but nothing would be formalized to encourage or penalize compliance.

Later, he said that contractual agreements would be taken into account (which I took to mean no new FCS games would be signed but a lot of the already announced ones would be played) and that this was an "AD agreement", meaning the 14 AD's have said they will do this but nothing would be formalized to encourage or penalize compliance.
This. We will be playing the 1AA games we already have scheduled. You think the B1G will reimburse us the 4 million or so year are gonna lose? Figure about 700k to buy out each game and a lost home game at about 2 million before we sell parking, food etc. Not to mention, cost of travel to a return home game if we can't buy one and dones.

No B1G vs FCS starting in 2016 according to Delaney. Currently, we have Howard penciled in on 9/10/16.
My understanding is already scheduled FCS games would remain on the schedule, but no further FCS games can be scheduled.

Possible Unintended Consequence......what if the FCS football schools , who happen to have D1 teams in other sports (eg Villanova FCS football, D1 Basketball) all agree to refuse to play the Big 10 or any conference with this stipulation, in ANY sport, if they are locked out of occasional football games?

The Howards, Norfolks, Morgan Sts, NC Centrals of the world are incredibly boring games.

but profitable ones compared to the Eastern Michigan type game , because the price difference , that many don't like either and don't fill the stands.
I think in 2018 the Howards & Norfolks will be history and schools like Eastern Michigan will be taking their place.
2017 is the last season RU has a FCS school on its schedule and RU has 2 TBA (9/1 and 9/22) on its 2018 schedule.
If the B1G doesn't allow one of them to be filled with a FCS school , expect mid majors to take those two TBA spots

Two-for-ones with teams our fans can travel to easily (except Syracuse and BC, don't want to play them) are always fine with me. I never will argue with playing at the Linc or Gillette (if UMass continues to use it or is willing to play bigger-name teams there after it doesn't).

I know my opinion is unpopular but this sucks.

how about the SEC, B12 and Pac12? They going to stop scheduling FCS too? If they get a free win in their efforts to get bowl eligible so should we.

A&M has an opening in 2018 and again in 2019...a perfect opportunity for 1/1...though I'll settle for a SEC/B1G bowl game... ;)

I remember reading that the Howards of the world pretty much keep their football programs financially afloat by throwing themselves under the bus by playing these games. Although I rarely worry about the outcome of these games (I know we have been burned in the past, like NH) but I do worry about injuries. Other than having the players work out some kinks for the much harder games, these should be the time to really see some of the second/third stringers in real game situations.

I remember reading that the Howards of the world pretty much keep their football programs financially afloat by throwing themselves under the bus by playing these games. Although I rarely worry about the outcome of these games (I know we have been burned in the past, like NH) but I do worry about injuries. Other than having the players work out some kinks for the much harder games, these should be the time to really see some of the second/third stringers in real game situations.

That was the main reason for expanding the schedule from 11 to 12 games.

ADVERTISEMENT