ADVERTISEMENT

Guess We Still have 1 Game to Fill Next Year

I would hope not Army ...
The academies need to get off our schedule, imo. They present all sorts of problems in terms of schemes and beating one really means nothing perception wise, with injuries a real possibility.

No more Army or Navy.

Reactions: RUskoolie
If I am reading the article correctly, the BIG is really taking a significant risk here. Along with the added conference game, you have the requirement to add another P5 school and drop the little school. No doubt this will increase the SOS, but at what cost?

Not sure if this was posted above, but interestingly, Pat Fitzgerald (NW coach) says all the Big 10 coaches voted for only 8 conference games.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...animously-against-9-game-conference-schedule/

Remember, one of the main reasons for 9 Big Ten Conf games was so they could add valuable inventory to the Big Ten TV Network...as that gives the network more "valuable" conf games...vs ESPN/Big Ten Network being stuck 14 more "meaningless" non-conf games that normally don't draw that many viewers.

With Rutgers not being a full financial member of the Big Ten, it's reasonable that the Big Ten will throw in funds for Rutgers to re-schedule to fulfill Big Ten membership guidelines on scheduling.

How about Air Force or one of the AAC teams like USF etc? And does one really think teams like Syracuse, Kansas, Temple etc will always be down. Rutgers was there several years ago.

Fill the stadium and minimize the cost factor with less giveaways.

This will kill the schools with smaller stadiums, there are already bidding wars with teams from the MAC etc, bought games will be over $1 million for non P5 teams & schools with small stadiums will be at a huge disadvantage.
Tru, this must have been passed when you were at the beach house,lol. Not like you to be out of the loop. Tru, could you explan to me the difference between playing a Howard or Norfolk St, as opposed to playing Monmouth? Aren't they all FCS schools limited to 63 scholarships? If so,do you know any reason why Rutgers has never scheduled them?

Tru, this must have been passed when you were at the beach house,lol. Not like you to be out of the loop. Tru, could you explan to me the difference between playing a Howard or Norfolk St, as opposed to playing Monmouth? Aren't they all FCS schools limited to 63 scholarships? If so,do you know any reason why Rutgers has never scheduled them?

Monmouth is in NJ and Rutgers isn't in the business of helping any local or nearby team (Uconn, Temple, BC & SU) use the game as a recruiting advantage.

Could not disagree more! We should be marketing or branding ourselves as the B1G's most Eastern team. That Is exactly why we should play those schools, represent, and a really nice dig at PSU too!

We don't have to play killers in OOC, our division is hard enough as it is. However, there are playing of schools in the SEC, ACC, BIG12, and PAC-12 they are at our level or lower that we can play. Also UND (ha) and BYU will count towards the A5 requirement.

As far as the other two games, there are more FBS schools now than ever, so it shouldn't be that hard to find someone to play.

The SEC plays FCS games LATE in the season to give their starters a extra bye week. I don't think they want to give up this competitive advantage.

but profitable ones compared to the Eastern Michigan type game , because the price difference , that many don't like either and don't fill the stands.
I think in 2018 the Howards & Norfolks will be history and schools like Eastern Michigan will be taking their place.
2017 is the last season RU has a FCS school on its schedule and RU has 2 TBA (9/1 and 9/22) on its 2018 schedule.
If the B1G doesn't allow one of them to be filled with a FCS school , expect mid majors to take those two TBA spots

One of those TBA games in 2018 is supposed to be against Miami. Unless you know something I don't.

That was the main reason for expanding the schedule from 11 to 12 games.

Actually the main reason why the BCS Conf pushed for 12 games per season was that the Ad's and Coaches said "We want to play more meaningful national non-conf games", yet almost all BCS teams just quickly added an easy I-AA home game (their 7th or even 8th home game of the season) so they can make millions of more $$$.

12th game had nothing to do with keeping afloat Div I-AA schools...it was all so that BCS programs could add a 7th or 8th home game to their schedule.

Fortunately, now, TV Partners and their own conf networks realize dropping one meaningless non-conf game and instantly adding a 9th conf game adds value, brings in more viewers, brings in more ad $$$, etc...

Tru, this must have been passed when you were at the beach house,lol. Not like you to be out of the loop.

The announcement about no 1AA games was made less than 1/2 hour before I posted. Why play Monmouth? at least Howard or Norfolk State have great bands, what does Monmouth offer other than a easy win?

I posted this in a reply on replacing the Howard game on another site:

DJSpanky wrote: Howard is not going to be replaced - existing contracts will be honored. It's just going forward they would rather teams not schedule FCS schools. So Howard this year, and Morgan State in 2017, will still be played. So 2016 and 2017 are set. 2018 is where we need to start scheduling - we currently have 6 home games scheduled (5 B1G, Miami) and 5 road games (4 B1G, Kansas) And 2019 we really start having to pay for an extra home game.

Here's a couple of links to help keep track of it:

Rutgers Scarlet Knights Future Schedules

SCARLETKNIGHTS.COM - Future Schedues

I want us to play Texas State,just because it sounds like a cool name !
I spent a year there before coming to Rutgers, then it was known as San Marcos State University, it's just outside Austin. Beautiful area!

Saw the Delaney presser --- got the sense that he decided he was going to push this idea forward no matter what anyone else wants.... One of the newspaper guys asked about "already contracted games with FCS teams" -- and he said "we'd consider" but, seemed like he was saying... too bad, we ain't allowing it.

One A/P-5 cross-over and 9 conference games ultimately is a good thing (I think) -- -but I really think the "no FCS" will cause more scheduling issues than many people want to admit.

if the non-A/P-5 conferences play it right --- this will give them a lot more leverage.

Saw the Delaney presser --- got the sense that he decided he was going to push this idea forward no matter what anyone else wants.... One of the newspaper guys asked about "already contracted games with FCS teams" -- and he said "we'd consider" but, seemed like he was saying... too bad, we ain't allowing it.

One A/P-5 cross-over and 9 conference games ultimately is a good thing (I think) -- -but I really think the "no FCS" will cause more scheduling issues than many people want to admit.

if the non-A/P-5 conferences play it right --- this will give them a lot more leverage.
That's not the vibe I got at all. He went out of his way to say it's an agreement and not a rule. There is no punishment for not following the rule and existing contracts would be looked at case by case. Like I said previous, if B1G isn't going to give us 4 million to get out of these games than we are playing them.

On top of that, the b1g has no delusions of us winning a NC anytime soon so out SOS means squat. However, they do want us bowl eligible and a 1AA helps that.

I have never attended an RU vs FCS game and I never will. I wind up giving away tickets but nobody wants them. Playing FCS teams, especially MEAC and similar leagues is small time. If a school like Ohio St schedules a weak opponent, they counter it the following week with a game against Oklahoma or Virginia Tech or Alabama. Every AAC team would bend over backwards to schedule us and for the bottom feeders like Uconn we should demand 2 for 1s. I'd rather lose to a respectable team than be ridiculed for beating up an endless stream of OOC creampuffs. Our SOS helps the league because we play 3 teams with a chance to win the NC.
I hope the rule is enforced but that the league buys out already scheduled games.

You do realized what division we play in right? We wouldn't be doing anything different than the big boys of our division are doing.

B1G 9-game conference schedules are going to make it very difficult for some B1G teams to qualify for bowl games. Bowl games are required to justify December football practice sessions and those sessions are essential for getting underclassmen prepared for B1G Football.

The B1G East may be the toughest division in all of college football.
No B1G East teams playing 9-game B1G conference schedules will ever have to be concerned with increasing their SOS. Their SOS will already be rated very high.

The key for Rutgers is to schedule 3 FBS OOC games with teams in areas where Rutgers recruits. Temple, Army, Old Dominion, Virginia, UNC Charlotte, Georgia State, Miami, UCF, USF, Florida Atlantic, FIU are good candidates for those 3 OOC dates.

Playing more difficult OOC games early in a season often serves to reduce the chances of playing against stronger opponents after a regular season, when those games tend to be more important.

Last edited:
So at years end the BIG will likely have less bowl eligible teams because of this. Don't get that math in why you would do this.

I like the one "scrimmage" a year.

The announcement about no 1AA games was made less than 1/2 hour before I posted. Why play Monmouth? at least Howard or Norfolk State have great bands, what does Monmouth offer other than a easy win?
Fans in the stands. Those 1AA games are always the least attended games Rutgers host every year. I'd bet the stadium would be fuller than any other 1AA team Rutgers could bring in. There's a lot of Monmouth Alum that would love to see that game.

Play Monmouth. Is this a joke? Why not play Princeton? Oh wait a minute. The Princeton Administration realizes playing Rutgers would be a fool hardy exercise. No knock on Ivy League football as its competitive and fun.

Let's stick with FBS football. Enough fans will come out to watch us as long as we're competitive.

Fans in the stands. Those 1AA games are always the least attended games Rutgers host every year. I'd bet the stadium would be fuller than any other 1AA team Rutgers could bring in. There's a lot of Monmouth Alum that would love to see that game.
This isn't true. 1AA games is always well attended bc it's the first. We tend to have less at a tulane in week 4. As for Monmouth they would bring 200 parents and nothing more.

I have never attended an RU vs FCS game and I never will. I wind up giving away tickets but nobody wants them. Playing FCS teams, especially MEAC and similar leagues is small time. If a school like Ohio St schedules a weak opponent, they counter it the following week with a game against Oklahoma or Virginia Tech or Alabama. Every AAC team would bend over backwards to schedule us and for the bottom feeders like Uconn we should demand 2 for 1s. I'd rather lose to a respectable team than be ridiculed for beating up an endless stream of OOC creampuffs. Our SOS helps the league because we play 3 teams with a chance to win the NC.
I hope the rule is enforced but that the league buys out already scheduled games.
This isn't true. Without looking back osu best OOC games have been vatech and a down cal in recent years. They've played navy, the directional Michigan schools, and 1AA schools as well. And we are not osu.

Last edited:
B1G 9-game conference schedules are going to make it very difficult for some B1G teams to qualify for bowl games. Bowl games are required to justify December football practice sessions and those sessions are essential for getting underclassmen prepared for B1G Football.

The B1G East may be the toughest division in all of college football.
No B1G East teams playing 9-game B1G conference schedules will ever have to be concerned with increasing their SOS. Their SOS will already be rated very high.

The key for Rutgers is to schedule 3 FBS OOC games with teams in areas where Rutgers recruits. Temple, Army, Old Dominion, Virginia, UNC Charlotte, Georgia State, Miami, UCF, USF, Florida Atlantic, FIU are good candidates for those 3 OOC dates.

Playing more difficult OOC games early in a season often serves to reduce the chances of playing against stronger opponents after a regular season, when those games tend to be more important.

One OOC game that Rutgers should play every year is versus Temple.
Games against Temple are nice for Rutgers to have when at home and when away at the Linc, a few miles from South Jersey.

A lot of good D1 football players live within a 2-hour drive from the Linc and Rutgers has to recruit well in that area to be successful in the B1G.

Play Monmouth. Is this a joke? Why not play Princeton? Oh wait a minute. The Princeton Administration realizes playing Rutgers would be a fool hardy exercise. No knock on Ivy League football as its competitive and fun.

Let's stick with FBS football. Enough fans will come out to watch us as long as we're competitive.
If it softens the thought of playing Monmouth, Wagner plays at Rice and BYU this season. And Monmouth plays at Div-1 Central Michigan and hosts Div-1AA Coastal Carolina, who finished as Sagarin's 68th ranked team, 6 notches below #62 Rutgers.

We will still play 1AA teams most likely every year, Delaney was already told, a couple of years ago, by Barry Alvarez that in order to have 7 Home games a year that Wisconsin will continue to play FCS teams every year. Don't think what Delaney said was a rule for the B1G but more of a wish that B1G teams would not play FCS teams, but with an unbalanced schedule of Conference games the only way to get 7 Home games every year is to buy a game & the cost of games has gone through the roof, so expect RU to continue to play FCS teams every year.
No Rutgers won't be playing one fcs team a year. Every team in the b10 agreed to this new rule

No B1G vs FCS starting in 2016 according to Delaney. Currently, we have Howard penciled in on 9/10/16.
No this new rule does not count games already scheduled. You can not schedule any fcs games from this point

If it softens the thought of playing Monmouth, Wagner plays at Rice and BYU this season. And Monmouth plays at Div-1 Central Michigan and hosts Div-1AA Coastal Carolina, who finished as Sagarin's 68th ranked team, 6 notches below #62 Rutgers.

It doesn't even soften my stool. Seriously, Coastal Carolina beat Monmouth by 30 points or there abouts. I'd rather sit through a MEAC scrimmage knowing we'll at least see a great halftime show from their band. As for the Monmouth matchup against CMU, that's CMU's issue, not ours.

As for Sagarin, Michigan came in 60, Maryland 50 and Penn State 46. I'm sure Sagarin uses all types of mathematical equations, of which I put little stock in. We were better than Michigan and Maryland as we beat them on the field of play. As for Penn State, at best it was a push and they were ranked 16 spots ahead of us. I'll stick with the Iowa Straw Poll.

Last year we beat Michigan, Maryland and North Carolina and this year you want to take it up a notch by playing Monmouth?

One OOC game that Rutgers should play every year is versus Temple.
Games against Temple are nice for Rutgers to have when at home and when away at the Linc, a few miles from South Jersey.

A lot of good D1 football players live within a 2-hour drive from the Linc and Rutgers has to recruit well in that area to be successful in the B1G.

Still want 7 home games a year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT