ADVERTISEMENT

Hankering for some Wrestling Recruiting Info

A few observations from this thread:

I was wondering what potential recruits may be next, so I took a look at the wrestling depth chart in the "Sticky Threads" atop this forum. It was last edited by Obrats in the middle of April. He provides a list of kids finishing up their Junior years who may be potential recruits. There, in the 141 pound weight class box was the name Zach Trampe. Just Wow! Excellent research by Obrats! Can't wait to see who may be next pal.

Secondly, I have gained a better understanding as it relates to the money available to recruits who are coming from in state and out of state. Recently, our coaches identified a kid who may have been slightly under the radar, but possesing the qualities needed to be a successful Big Ten wrestler. What a shame it would be if the only stumbling block to Zach's recruitment is related to money. While Zach's hometown is located just west of the Delaware River and just outside New Jersey, due to tight monetary considerations, the river boundary still acts an imposing barrier for out of state wrestlers.

Secondly, I have gained a better understanding as it relates to the money available to recruits who are coming from in state and out of state. Recently, our coaches identified a kid who may have been slightly under the radar, but possesing the qualities needed to be a successful Big Ten wrestler. What a shame it would be if the only stumbling block to Zach's recruitment is related to money. While Zach's hometown is located just west of the Delaware River and just outside New Jersey, due to tight monetary considerations, the river boundary still acts an imposing barrier for out of state wrestlers.
Just got to wait a few more years until the B1G ship rolls in. It sucks monetarily right now as the B1G really hasn't helped us in that department at all yet. It really sucks that it might not work out monetarily with this kid because he lives on the wrong side of the river. The good news is the training facility and OOS money road blocks should be removed in 4 years. A long way off sure, but at least this time there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Perhaps Bill or another insider would consider answering the following...

Since the board has been quiet for a few days and people have said it is fair game to discuss potential recruits who are not on another team's roster: How do we stand in the potential recruitment of Mekhi Lewis and Stephan Glasgow from Bound Brook? Is there any interest in recruiting Dom Demas from Ohio, the brother of Josh Demas, the former SKWC coach. (or is the out of state status too much of a monetary hurdle?)

Maybe without giving away names, you can tell us if there are potential recruits who have visited or will be visiting soon. Any little tidbits would be most appreciated.

Reactions: KidDagger
Yes we are recruiting Demas' brother. Great kid with a lot of offers. Yes we are recruiting both Lewis and Glasgow heavily. We have a lot of people helping there and if needed, Campy will help as well. He appreciated everything the coaching staff did for him in giving him a chance here even though it did not work out.

Bill,
Thanks for the info. Again, if you feel as if replying to any of my questions will have a negative effect on recruiting, or negatively effect the wrestlers who are currently on the roster, please don't feel obligated to answer. But, I have some more names. Does there appear to be mutual interest related to the following wrestlers? :

Jacori Teemer - New York 3 time finalist, 126 pounds. ( Just had a huge win over PA state champ Brian Courtney in national folkstyle tournament a few weeks ago.)

Nick Rivera- Brick Twp Heavyweight

Kyle Cochran-160 pound NJ state champion, Paramus

Thanks

Flowrestling.com just updated its top 20 list for each high school weight class. Several names that have been mentioned in this thread ( and confirmed by Bill as having had some degree of contact with the coaches) make an appearance including:

Zach Trampe -132 pounds- #13
Dom Demas - 145 pounds- #3
Mekhi Lewis-145 pounds- #4
Stephan Glasgow- 152 pounds - #5
Kyle Cochran-160 pounds - #8

Here is the link:
http://www.flowrestling.org/ranking/1291-nick-lee-mans-132/2016-06-27/132

Last edited:
Flowrestling.com just updated its top 20 list for each high school weight class. Several names that have been mentioned in this thread ( and confirmed by Bill as having had some degree of contact with the coaches) make an appearance including:

Zach Trampe -132 pounds- #13
Dom Demas - 145 pounds- #3
Mekhi Lewis-145 pounds- #4
Stephan Glasgow- 152 pounds - #5
Kyle Cochran-160 pounds - #8

Here is the link:
http://www.flowrestling.org/ranking/1291-nick-lee-mans-132/2016-06-27/132

Based on those lists it seems like NJ is not very strong this year, with the exception of 145, which is stacked. Also, a lot of the "jersey guys" are at Blair, which (if I'm not mistaken...) has not been that friendly to RU.

The future is really bright.There are some good NJ targets in this years' senior class. There are some superior targets in the NJ sophomore class. It has more potential than the great class that is enrolling.The future is bright if we an can convince the sophomores to sign as a group.

RANK WRESTLER SCHOOL STATE WEIGHT CLASS COLLEGE
1 Spencer Lee Franklin Regional Pennsylvania 120 Iowa
2 Yianni Diakomihalis Hilton New York 138 Cornell
3 Vitali Arujau Syosset New York 132 Cornell
4 Daton Fix Sand Springs Oklahoma 126
5 Nick Lee Evansville Mater Dei Indiana 132 Penn State
6 Chase Singletary Blair Academy New Jersey 195
7 Cameron Coy Penn-Trafford Pennsylvania 145 Virginia
8 Jacob Warner Washington Illinois 182
9 Brady Berge Kasson-Mantorville Minnesota 160
10 Kaden Gfeller Heritage Hall Oklahoma 132 Oklahoma State
11 Austin O'Connor St. Rita Illinois 145
12 Kaleb Romero Mechanicsburg Ohio 160
13 Austin Gomez Glenbard North Illinois 126 Iowa State
14 Michael Labriola Bethlehem Catholic Pennsylvania 170 Nebraska
15 Kevin Vough Elyria Ohio 285
16 Trent Hillger Lake Fenton Michigan 285
17 Justin Mejia Clovis California 120 Iowa
18 Louie DePrez Hilton New York 170 Binghamton
19 Layne Van Anrooy Roseburg Oregon 160
20 Quentin Hovis Seton Catholic Arizona 152 Navy
21 Nino Bonaccorsi Bethel Park Pennsylvania 170 Pittsburgh
22 Dominick Demas Dublin Coffman Ohio 145
23 Brian Courtney Athens Pennsylvania 126
24 Jared Verkleeren Belle Vernon Pennsylvania 145
25 Jelani Embree Warren Lincoln Michigan 170 Michigan
26 Navonte Demison Bakersfield California 138 Arizona State
27 Ben Freeman Walled Lake Central Michigan 132 Michigan
28 Chris Sandoval Pueblo County Colorado 138 Northern Colorado
29 Max Murin Central Cambria Pennsylvania 126
30 Jaden Enriquez Mission Oak California 138
31 Anthony Mantanona Palm Desert California 170
32 Eric Hong Kiski Prep Pennsylvania 145 Penn
33 Kyle Lawson Olentangy Liberty Ohio 160 Wisconsin
34 Jake Allar St. Michael-Albertville Minnesota 152
35 Hunter Bolen Christiansburg Virginia 160
36 Austin DeSanto Exeter Township Pennsylvania 120
37 Chase Shiltz Creston Iowa 170
38 Dylan Meeks Dr. Phillips Florida 220
39 Jason Renteria Oak Park River Forest Illinois 120 Iowa
40 Jared Campbell St. Edward Ohio 220 Missouri
41 Patrick Brucki Carl Sandburg Illinois 182
42 Marcus Coleman Ames Iowa 170
43 Stephan Glasgow Bound Brook New Jersey 152
44 Luke Troy Martin Luther King California 152 Iowa
45 Paul Konrath Connections Academy Indiana 120 Wisconsin
46 Brandon Kui DePaul Catholic New Jersey 182
47 Noah Adams Independence West Virginia 195 West Virginia
48 Jamie Hernandez Oak Park River Forest Illinois 138
49 Anthony Falbo Newtown Connecticut 182 Army West Point
50 Mekhi Lewis Bound Brook New Jersey 145
51 Tanner Litterell Tuttle Oklahoma 132
52 Jacob Raschka Pewaukee Wisconsin 195 Missouri
53 Kyran Hagan Eureka Missouri 132
54 Travis Stefanik Nazareth Pennsylvania 152
55 Kyle Cochran Paramus New Jersey 160
56 Jacob Wright Dinuba California 138
57 Brandon Metz West Fargo North Dakota 285 North Dakota State
58 Gus Solomon Franklin Regional Pennsylvania 132 Navy
59 Alec Hagan Eureka Missouri 138
60 Jake Boyd Smithville Missouri 195
61 Andrew Davison Chesterton Indiana 182 Michigan
62 Max Lyon Western Dubuque Iowa 182
63 Drew Mattin Delta Ohio 120 Michigan
64 Bryce Rogers Lake Highland Prep Florida 160
65 James Handwerk Lutheran West Ohio 182 Air Force
66 Brandon Courtney Desert Edge Arizona 120
67 Ethan Smith Aberdeen Maryland 170
68 Devin Bahr West Salem Wisconsin 152
69 Zane Black The Phelps School Pennsylvania 195
70 Bunmi Smith Camden County Georgia 160
71 Matthew Parker Pennridge Pennsylvania 113 Lehigh
72 Jesse Beverly Delta Ohio 152
73 A.J. Pedro Phillips Exeter New Hampshire 170
74 Peter Pappas Plainview JFK New York 132
75 Allan Hart St. Edward Ohio 126 Missouri
76 Trevell Timmons Lockport Illinois 152
77 Cole Manley Altoona Pennsylvania 126
78 Colin Valdiviez Rockhurst Missouri 126
79 Jake Brindley Lake Highland Prep Florida 145
80 Jaron Chavez Centennial Idaho 160
81 Drew West Highland Riverside Iowa 126
82 Jacob Oliver Huntingdon Pennsylvania 170 Edinboro
83 Parker Filius Havre Montana 152
84 J.J. Figueroa Bakersfield California 132
85 Corey Shie LaSalle Ohio 132
86 Timmy Kane Fairfield Warde Connecticut 132
87 Drew Marten Tecumseh Michigan 126
88 K.J. Fenstermacher Bethlehem Liberty Pennsylvania 120
89 Wyatt Wriedt North Scott Iowa 220
90 Jake Woodley North Allegheny Pennsylvania 182
91 Denton Spencer Camden County Georgia 138 Gardner Webb
92 Robert Garcia IV Selma California 120
93 Jaden van Maanen LaCross Central Wisconsin 132
94 Quinn Miller Archer Georgia 220
95 Paxton Rosen Edmond North Oklahoma 113
96 Zack Trampe Council Rock South Pennsylvania 132
97 Zach Sherman Blair Academy New Jersey 126
98 Clay Lautt St. James Academy Kansas 170 North Carolina
99 Georgio Poullas Canfield Ohio 152
100 Dane Heberlein Alexander New York 120

Current sophomore rankings include 9 from NJ in the top 44

RANK WRESTLER SCHOOL STATE WEIGHT CLASS COLLEGE
1 Cohlton Schultz Ponderosa Colorado 220
2 Nick Raimo Hanover Park New Jersey 120
3 Adam Busiello Eastport-South Manor New York 106 Penn State
4 Julian Ramirez Blair Academy New Jersey 152
5 Jordan Decatur CVCA Ohio 113
6 Julian Chlebove Northampton Pennsylvania 113
7 Josh McKenzie Bergen Catholic New Jersey 182
8 Connor Brady Olentangy Liberty Ohio 132
9 Anthony Jackson Simley Minnesota 138
10 Dylan D'Emilio Genoa Ohio 106
11 Travis Ford-Melton Marian Catholic Illinois 106
12 Jaden Abas Frontier California 120
13 Chris Cannon Blair Academy New Jersey 113
14 Connor McGonagle Timberlane New Hampshire 120
15 Theorius Robison Pomona Colorado 126
16 JoJo Aragona Pope John New Jersey 106
17 Andrew Alirez Greeley Central Colorado 120
18 Matthew Olguin Buchanan California 106
19 Sam Dover St. Edward Ohio 132
20 Cameron Amine Detroit Catholic Central Michigan 126
21 Brevin Balmeceda South Dade Florida 132
22 Coltan Yapoujian Pomona Colorado 106
23 Devin Schwartzkopf Francis Howell Central Missouri 132
24 James Burks Omaha Burke Nebraska 132
25 Ronald Tucker Jr. Lockport Illinois 285
26 Jason Kraisser Centennial Maryland 132
27 Michael Colaiocco Blair Academy New Jersey 106
28 Zane Coleman Choctaw Oklahoma 152
29 Mike Madara Blair Academy New Jersey 120
30 Ryan Reyes Clovis West California 170
31 Ryan Vulakh North Penn Pennsylvania 132
32 Zach Marcheselli Broken Arrow Oklahoma 182
33 Johnny Shafer St. Paris Graham Ohio 220
34 Edmund Ruth Susquehanna Township Pennsylvania 145
35 Aden Reeves Albia Iowa 106
36 Daniel Kerkvleit Simley Minnesota 170
37 Zach DelVecchio South Plainfield New Jersey 220
38 Farouq Muhammed Shaker Hts Ohio 145
39 Devin Winston Park Hill Missouri 160
40 Cade Devos Waukee Iowa 106
41 Ryan Anderson Bethlehem Catholic Pennsylvania 113
42 Jacob Mariakis Ridgeland Georgia 132
43 Michael Weber Forsyth Montana 126
44 Chris Foca Bergen Catholic New Jersey 132
45 Mosha Schwartz Ponderosa Colorado 106
46 Devon Britton Northampton Pennsylvania 126
47 Zach Borer North Bend Central Nebraska 160
48 Kurt McHenry Virginia 106
49 Kevon Davenport Detroit Catholic Central Michigan 120
50 Kruz Simons Edmond North Oklahoma 132

Last edited:
We are after Cochran and Glasgow heavily. Lewis wants to look out of state first so I would not hold out much hope for him if he feels that way. I know he was very interested in VT.

gotta get Lewis and Glasgow. If Goodale and staff want to really show that we are finally here as a program, he needs to land these guys. It would be a big time statement and could elevate the program to new heights.

If a kid wants to get away out of state, short of bribing a kid and their parents, there is nothing the coaching staff can do to keep him here. Lewis has been in the room so he knows what we have and the kids we have. He has the example of what his fellow BB alumni experienced going out of state to OSU and saw how that worked out! He knows what Campy thinks of the coaches and RU for giving him a second chance even though it did not work out for him. Whatever happens is not due to lack of effort on our part.

If a kid wants to get away out of state, short of bribing a kid and their parents, there is nothing the coaching staff can do to keep him here. Lewis has been in the room so he knows what we have and the kids we have. He has the example of what his fellow BB alumni experienced going out of state to OSU and saw how that worked out! He knows what Campy thinks of the coaches and RU for giving him a second chance even though it did not work out for him. Whatever happens is not due to lack of effort on our part.
Love your "stuff"! You ever think about posting on other boards? I'm certain other fanbases would enjoy your ideas and opinions on not only your team but also theirs. Either way, keep up the fantastic work you do here. Your board is lucky to have you...

gotta get Lewis and Glasgow. If Goodale and staff want to really show that we are finally here as a program, he needs to land these guys. It would be a big time statement and could elevate the program to new heights.
If you tell me we can land Shane Griffith the year after than I don't mind missing on Lewis.

Reactions: Passe24

I think the results and recruits that Goodale and staff have brought in the past couple years already prove that were "here" as a program... Its getting to the consistent top 5 elite that's going to be all but impossible right now until we can get OOS funding so we can compete on a level playing field with the Iowas PSU's, OkSt's, and VAtech's.... IIRC we lost out on McFadden last year cuz Vatech offered him full ride and we couldn't... That's not on Goodale...

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Johnstownsteel
No I haven't thought of that but maybe I should try. Thanks for the kind words. Regarding McFadden, we thought he was our almost 100% and then VT gobbled him up. Stuff happens. He was always in our room working out.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
If we get Demas, Glasgow, Cochran & Kui, it will be a very good class. In the long run, the key to Goodale and Pritzlaff moving up to the elite coaching ranks could be getting at least 4 or 5 of the following kids in the sophomore class Raimo, McKenzie, Cannon (who could be our break thru Blair recruit), DelVecchio, Foca, and Madara. As Obrats indicated, signing Shane Griffith next year is really important. Most of these kids are Jersey kids and ranked in the top 50 in the country. Don't need much out of state money and they should be training in our new facility. Our coaches are great at developing kids. As in football, we need more 4 and 5 star recruits to be a consistent top team.

I won't. Are they not interested or are we not? Or is this an OOS $ issue?
Just a guess but don't think they are interested. Renteria list his top 5 as Ill, PSU, UNC, Neb., and Missouri. Mejia only list two now Ill and Minny.

No...They have 9.9 out of state tuitions. So they benefit from the best wrestling state in America (PA) and can offer good $ to the out of stators.

Penn State- in state $28,800
out of state 41.300

Add in some of the best facilities in D-1 and their recent NCAA Titles and you can see why they are loaded. We have a wrestling room in a basement that = a decent HS room and pay our Head Coach less then a Def.Back football coach. PSU pays Sanderson 1million+/year.
Sanderson is not making anywhere near $1 million a year. I don't know where people came up with that. His base salary is $175,000. He makes more from camps bonuses ect but his total compensation is less the $300,000.

Reactions: Leonard23
2008 coaches saleries yes it goes up because its 8 years later I wonder what they make in 2016

- Cael Sanderson, Iowa State, $110,000
-- Jack Spates, Oklahoma, $110,000
-- Mark Johnson, Illinois, $108,550
-- J Robinson, Minnesota, $100,000
-- Brian Smith, Missouri, $100,000
-- John Smith, Oklahoma State, $100,000
-- Pat Santoro, Maryland, $99,866
-- Tom Brands, Iowa, $99,750
-- Joe McFarland, Michigan, $97,850
-- Mark Manning, Nebraska, $97,000
-- Tom Ryan, Ohio State, $95,288
-- Jim Zalesky, Oregon State, $95,00

To Bill G or someone in the know,
Would you list the names of the SKWC wrestlers who are participating at the Fargo Cadet and Junior Nationals in the freestyle events. Are any of the participating SKWC wrestlers seniors who are being recruited for the Rutgers team? Thanks

No one is participating as they are all taking classes for the summer at RU. Getting ahead academically takes precedence.

Reactions: jerzey devil
WNG - Love your updates. Where do we stand with Demas, Glasgow, Cochran & Kui ? How do you rate our chances with each of these recruits ? Which coaches are at Fargo ?

No one is participating as they are all taking classes for the summer at RU. Getting ahead academically takes precedence.
I think the question was about any underclassmen that wrestle for SKWC? Not the incoming freshman class. Plcoolg can correct me if I am wrong.

I remember reading that Brandon Paetzel, as a highscool wrestler, was spending time at SKWC last summer training with the college guys. Same goes for David McFadden who I thought was training at SKWC a few years back. I was wondering if there are any current high school wrestlers currently training with the college guys that we should keep our eyes open for at the Fargo Nationals which is a high school age tourney. I have been assuming all along that high schoolers are part of the SKWC but if I am wrong then my original question was based on a wrong assumption.

Last edited:
If we get Glasgow, Cochran and Kui, it will be a really good recruiting class. These kids have lots of potential. Getting Demas with the these three guys will be quite a statement. The fans will love these four kids ! Kui will likely have the biggest impact in college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT