ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Bithday Dad

Happy Birthday Yogi.
A great player from a time of great baseball.
No DH, pitchers had complete games and the term 'Closer' was never spoken.
The winner of NL played the winner of the AL in the World Series after playing
over 150 games to determine the best in each league.

It's regrettable that there are so few great American icons still among us. We're fortunate and blessed to have Yogi. Happy birthday, sir.

90 years old today, and soon to become a recipient of the Presidential Medal
Of Freedom. The most prestigious civilian award this country can award.

Nice article in today's Wall Street Journal written by Dave Kaplan referencing how Yogi helped out a kid from Montclair (Carlos Lejnieks) who gained admission to Brown and has gone on to a successful career helping others.

One of the most beloved figures in the history of American sports.

Gov's Christie and Cuomo got together and made today Yogi Berra Day in both NY and NJ.

We all know the story but just to review...

18 time All-Star
13 World Series appearances including 10 as a player.
3 Time AL MVP
Baseball All Century Team

and just as importantly if not more, a D-Day Veteran.

Happy 90th Birthday Mr Berra.

Offered to take him out to a club to celebrate, he said no thanks, no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

Happy a Birthday Yogi!!!

Reactions: Rokodesh

Fantastic! Happy Birthday and Best Wishes!

Happy Birthday Yogi ! A true role model, you make all of us proud.

That's wonderful to hear!

It may or may not sound ridiculous, but aside from my own family and friends, I don't think there is a person alive whom I cherish more than Yogi. It's almost silly, as I've never so much as shook the man's hand, but aside from his greatness on the field (which, I maintain, remains underrated, even for all the recognition he's received), he occupies such a prominent place in my memories. From the time I was a little kid (and he was 20 years having last caught a game), he was spoken of in my house, by my other, almost as if he were an extended family member. I don't know if she ever met him, either, but to an Italian-American woman raised in Clifton by a blue-collar Yankees fan of a dad, Yogi was such a source of pride and kinship for them - a relatable everyman, his extraordinary baseball exploits notwithstanding. That was certainly passed along to me, and I've retained that feeling well into my forties. The guy is a treasure, a voice of sincerity and hard work from a time past, and I'm grateful for each year he's still a part of us and our community.

Happy Birthday Yogi. You have lived a great life with so many great stories and we're are very happy that you have shared so many of them. And always with a big smile!

Happy Birthday Yogi. You are by far the best sports has ever had to offer!

What a fantastic honor! Congratulations to the entire Berra family! And Happy Birthday and sincere wishes for many years of good health, Yogi!!

Zappaa was that your daughter or niece on the Today Show this morning? Either way, Lindsay did a great job!

Congrats!

All the best to Yogi and the Berra family for a great birthday, and congratulations on a wonderful honor.

:)

517d-LnR73L._SX425_.jpg

Ha i didnt know Yogi Berra came to the free Rutgers message boards that you had to wish him a happy birthday here...

Its bad enough that we get the safe or out at home debate every other month but this just reeks of "Hey look at me"

Besides there was already another thread on it

Ha i didnt know Yogi Berra came to the free Rutgers message boards that you had to wish him a happy birthday here...

Its bad enough that we get the safe or out at home debate every other month but this just reeks of "Hey look at me"

--------------------------------------

Wow. Behold, idiots amongst us.

Zappa, Happy Birthday to your DAD. Best to you and your family on this special day.

Happy Birthday YOGI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many great memories of the Yankee teams that Yogi anchored behind the plate and in the outfield.

Zap has said many times that he read the board with his dad. I don't see any reason to doubt it.

Back to business: Happy b-day Yogi. Many more!

Excellent article in today's Wall Street Journal written by Dave Kaplan about Yogi. Great story about how he helped a kid from Montclair (Carlos) get into Brown. The kid has since given much back to his community. Just shows how one great man can impact many others. Also love the quote from Biggio who called Yogi the smartest man he ever met in baseball.

Happy Birthday Yogi.

Don't know if anyone has been paying attention but the MLB Network has been doing a thing trying to identify the 4 greatest living players. Everyone says Aaron & Mays are locks but then the remaining 2 spots are where the discussion comes. Where do pitchers like Koufax & Seaver fit in? How do you treat the steroid guys Bonds & Clemens?

It got me thinking about Yogi so I checked out his career on baseball reference. How he is not talked about in this list is hard to believe.

3 time MVP including back to back seasons as a catcher. 350+ HRs & 1400+RBI primarily as a catcher.

Played in 14 World Series & has 10 rings!!!!

Played in 18 all star games (even though there were a couple years that they played 2 each season).

If Yogi is not one of the 4 greatest living baseball players it's very hard for me take that list seriously

ADVERTISEMENT