ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone on this board "cut the cord?" I have heard great things from friends who have...

MikeRU1766

Junior
Mar 7, 2015
I was wondering if anyone on this board has "cut the cord" and cancelled their cable/tv subscriptions? And if so how do they watch the RU football/bball games?

I ask because I know a couple of friends who have cancelled their TV and they said it was literally one of the best things they had done in their life. They said they are SO much more productive, they said they are so in touch with their social relationships, they enjoy the financial savings, they read and learn SO MUCH MORE, and of course they get to avoid all the propaganda and marketing that TV has these days that you don't even realize is impacting you.

I have already cut 95% of my television watching and I have benefited greatly from doing so because I actually go to the gym, I read almost every night, and overall I am just much more productive. But I worry about going 100% away from TV because of my beloved RU games.

Between the internet and occasionally going to local bars I think I can watch every single game without a TV subscription so I think I am going to do it sometimes this summer, but I wanted to ask you guys first.

I was wondering if anyone on this board has "cut the cord" and cancelled their cable/tv subscriptions? And if so how do they watch the RU football/bball games?

I ask because I know a couple of friends who have cancelled their TV and they said it was literally one of the best things they had done in their life. They said they are SO much more productive, they said they are so in touch with their social relationships, they enjoy the financial savings, they read and learn SO MUCH MORE, and of course they get to avoid all the propaganda and marketing that TV has these days that you don't even realize is impacting you.

I have already cut 95% of my television watching and I have benefited greatly from doing so because I actually go to the gym, I read almost every night, and overall I am just much more productive. But I worry about going 100% away from TV because of my beloved RU games.

Between the internet and occasionally going to local bars I think I can watch every single game without a TV subscription so I think I am going to do it sometimes this summer, but I wanted to ask you guys first.

If it's just about a couple of games, go to a bar. As it is, the away games on abc are available via antenna.

Yep.

XBMC with appropriate IPTV M3Us
Netflix
Hulu Plus
And I have set up newsgroups with NZB indexers to push automatically and extract into XBMC (Kodi)

In English, LOL, what is XBMC with appropriate IPTV M3Us? Thanks

Cut the cord 10 years ago and have never regret it.

Netflix, BTNtoGo, HBONow, Hulu

WOW! 10 years ago is impressive... congratulations talk about time and financial savings! I am hoping in 2025 to be able to celebrate my 10 year anniversary.

Don't believe any of those products was availabe 10 years ago. What did you do before they became available? Antenna?

I havent had cable in 15 years. Dont need it. Everything is on the internet,free. I havent missed many sports events. Even when I travel overseas. I do have a digital box and get FREE local broadcasts in Florida.

Netflix for a lot of movies you want to watch
Hulu for current shows you want to watch
Firstrowsports.eu gives you a live feed to any sporting event in the world pretty much (the feed isn't HD quality obv.)
Vipbox.tv is the same as firstrowsports
BTN2go when I want to watch hoops or wrestling in the fall

Cut it 3.5 years ago, older people give me the peoples eye brow when I tell them we don't have cable and I get some good natured rubbing but we're a part of the largest growing group that cable is fighting over. More people than ever before have cut the cord and I've saved about $125 a month for almost four years now. I don't miss it.

Very true RUskoolie. I can't believe how many people PAY over $100 dollars a month to make yourself LESS productive. By all means everyone needs a chance to relax and not have their brain be "on" all the time and if someone wants to watch TV then by all means this is America, watch your TV.

But in my specific case, the more I have thought about it though the more I realized that I only watched TV because it had just become a habit to me. In reality, when I am looking to take a "break" and relax, I enjoy sitting on my back deck with the radio/CD on while I read a book or go on this message board while drinking an ice cold drink or brew.

So yeah cable for me is going by the wayside. Life is just too spectacular/crazy/exciting/etc. for me to not experience it and instead sit in front of a box full of wires and subtle propaganda/marketing created by some freshly-minted marketing major just out of Business School.

In 2 years I'll cut back to just the over the air channels,along with the internet.I've lost interest in taping our games,as I rarely re-watch them.

liveballtv has mostly hd broadcasts.

So what or who are you cord-cutters using for Internet access? All this talk about Netflix and Hulu is nice but how are you connected to use those or find things online for free? My wife will always want a landline and OnDemand is just too convenient right now for the little one so tell me how you're connected with wifi going and maybe using MagicJack or Vonage for your phone and I'll listen.

I have thought about it a lot, i think its more a matter of habit that most people keep it, just like my landline. The only one who calls me on my home phone are robots. Interestingly enough, I have Directv now and a sales rep from Comcast actually knocked on my door yesterday and tried to get me to come back to Comcast, even though she flat out told me the price would not be cheaper for basically the same service.

I have thought about it a lot, i think its more a matter of habit that most people keep it, just like my landline. The only one who calls me on my home phone are robots.

Home phone?

Even non-cable/sat cord cutters have easily cut out that "fee" for years.

don't you still need the cord for the internet?

Yes, you still need a high speed internet connection so the phrase "cutting the cord" refers only to the TV part of the cable bill. You still need to pay the 30-40 dollars per month for the internet connection.

My question.....what channels come through on just an antenna these days? Just the networks and PBS or is there more? Thanks

In English, LOL, what is XBMC with appropriate IPTV M3Us? Thanks

XBMC media player....its now called Kodi. Basically turn a PC into a Home Theatre. It's simply an awesome program.

I use Sickbeard to download all my TV shows and load them straight into XBMC so I can watch at my leisure...

I'm relunctant to cut the cord because of live sports...and I still love my DirecTV.

Reactions: JPhoboken
Hey Ohio, with Kodi turning your pc into a home theatre does that mean you have to watch on your pc or can you then watch on a large tv? Is Kodi hardware, like Roku, or is it just a program on your pc?

Is Sickbeard free?

Hey Ohio, with Kodi turning your pc into a home theatre does that mean you have to watch on your pc or can you then watch on a large tv? Is Kodi hardware, like Roku, or is it just a program on your pc?

Is Sickbeard free?

You can put the software on almost any device you want so it can be used similar to ROKU.

Yes, you still need a high speed internet connection so the phrase "cutting the cord" refers only to the TV part of the cable bill. You still need to pay the 30-40 dollars per month for the internet connection.

My question.....what channels come through on just an antenna these days? Just the networks and PBS or is there more? Thanks

Yeah by saying "cut the cord" I only meant the TV part of the bill.

Is there anyone on here that really goes wild with the TV bill?

Does anyone pay more than say $175-200 on TV and all those premium channels and sports packages and OnDemand movies, etc.?

I ask only because I am curious if they think it is worth it or they are trying to cut back and they just haven't gotten around to it yet...

For all the crap I want, cable is cheaper. I pay like $160 with five boxes in different rooms and got most pay channels along with internet boost 75/75

Are these sports streaming locations legal or are you pirating the broadcast? Pretty sure B1G, NFL and the other sports aren't licensing the broadcast to these providers. Am I wrong?

Are these sports streaming locations legal or are you pirating the broadcast? Pretty sure B1G, NFL and the other sports aren't licensing the broadcast to these providers. Am I wrong?
61459760.jpg

I checked out Firstrowsports.eu, and I got so many pop-up windows and requests to download versions of software, I closed it all ASAP. Does not look legit.

Well if not legit seems a lot of folks should be less than public about stealing content. JMHO.

Reactions: Upstream
Yeah, if you see a url for live sports with .eu, it probably means it is peer to peer & most likely pirated. Seems very prevalent over there in Euro-land, especially with trying to watch sports from another country (see Premier League, soccer, etc). A lot of the time, you have to turn off the audio as you're watching another country's feed & commentary (i.e. foreign language). Honestly, I did it occasionally, especially when the broadcast was basically unavailable, like beIN Sports (which is now available on my network, but not sure if I want to pay for that special subscription for maybe a few games a year).

I wouldn't recommend it nowadays, TBH. It's too damn choppy and you're very likely to catch a bug or two.

when i read the title i thought it meant has anyone cut the cord to this message board or stopped visting....

ADVERTISEMENT