ADVERTISEMENT

Hope to see these days again soon

Originally posted by RUfanEst89:
Someone from this board probably posted this before but thought I would share. Enjoy.
I get depressed watching that. That's how bad things have become.
frown.r191677.gif

Will never forget this game. The atmosphere was just on another level. My nephew played basketball at Spotswood with Jake Dadika, and his dad, Rick, has been to a few of our tailgates. He always enjoys when someone brings up that game.

Nice to See a young Eddie Jordan patrolling the sidelines with Wenzel and Jopa was in the house as well. Clark Kellog even doing the play by play!
This post was edited on 4/18 11:28 PM by JPhoboken

This post was edited on 4/18 11:44 PM by JPhoboken

This post was edited on 4/19 12:17 AM by JPhoboken

It was a great moment, but let's not forget this wasn't a great team. They were 10-12 and went on a run for the last 8 games of the season (and then bounced in the first round of the tourney).

I know it feels like this team was like the 95/96 Chicago Bulls when compared to the state of the program now, but honestly, RU b-ball needs to become a lot better than this.

Originally posted by T2Kplus10:
It was a great moment, but let's not forget this wasn't a great team. They were 10-12 and went on a run for the last 8 games of the season (and then bounced in the first round of the tourney).

I know it feels like this team was like the 95/96 Chicago Bulls when compared to the state of the program now, but honestly, RU b-ball needs to become a lot better than this.
No reason to p _ _ s on a nice moment in our history. Nobody here thinks that team were world beaters. But they came together and won a conference championship by beating some good teams. No reason to compare that moment with what we need to do now to compete in the BIG. Apples and Oranges.

Dadika and Carter could Play in the BIG, Savage could get to the rim and could shoot, and Duckett could get a rebound, he was nasty. I wish we had these 4 guys today. We could do a lot worse.

Funny how Tom Savage iced the game with that free throw, only to come back 20+ years later to lead us to that big football win over UCONN.
wink.r191677.gif

That team was one of my all-time favorites at RU, along with the 1975-76 Final Four team and the Lloyd-Valvano led 1966-7 team that earned RU's first ever post-season bid.

The 1988-89 team was the Rutgers basketball equivalent of the 1980 USA Hockey team - the classic underdog coming out of three miserable years under Craig Littlepage and restoring the RU basketball fan base and turning the RAC into a hostile environment for the visiting team. That team turned this campus on like I'd never seen before - at least 15,000 people were lined up to buy tix in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon, with the line stretching all the way around the RAC concourse and out the doors of one side, and for quite away toward the parking lots. I never made it inside the door and had to watch on TV.

TDK

That is not even true...

by the end of the year...that team

Beat a bubble NCAA team (because we knocked them off the bubble) temple by 15 at home
beat a .500 St Bonaventure team on the road
beat a .500 Rhode Island team on the road
beat a .500 st bonaventre team the next week in the A10 by 30 plus....
Beat a bubble NCAA team (because we kocked them off) temple in their HOME city
Beat a NIT Penn state team at the RAC

Played a 4 seed NCAA iows team dead even for 32 minutes...before pulllng away

By the end of the year...that was a very solid team

What really stands out is the hustle, sprinting back on defense, active hands and feet, gang rebounding, and everyone knowing their role and rarely leaving that role.

the year before that we were a 7 win team.

Originally posted by Scarlet Shack:

TDK

That is not even true...

by the end of the year...that team

Beat a bubble NCAA team (because we knocked them off the bubble) temple by 15 at home
beat a .500 St Bonaventure team on the road
beat a .500 Rhode Island team on the road
beat a .500 st bonaventre team the next week in the A10 by 30 plus....
Beat a bubble NCAA team (because we kocked them off) temple in their HOME city
Beat a NIT Penn state team at the RAC

Played a 4 seed NCAA iows team dead even for 32 minutes...before pulllng away

By the end of the year...that was a very solid team
"Very solid" does not equal "great", so we both can be right. I just posted that out of being surprised/reminded of the team's record and journey. I forgot they were 10-12 at one time. I was at the PSU game and have spoken of it fondly for decades.

Was also thinking about the RAC environment. I actually did not get on campus until the fall of '89 but the RAC atmosphere was pretty much the same.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
ADVERTISEMENT