ADVERTISEMENT

How come Quanzell Lambert is not a starting linebacker for us?

MikeRU1766

Junior
Mar 7, 2015
So my question is why is Quanzell Lambert not our starting linebacker right now and instead in on the DL? Lambert was a big-time 4 star recruit at LB and could have went to schools like Alabama, Nebraska, etc.

Not fast enough, which is one of the reasons he is at RU and not Alabama.

abbey.gif

Reactions: RUwoz

Hey he had an offer from Alabama.

And yeah I figured his speed had to be the issue, but obviously can't say I followed him specifically enough to know for sure.

Either way though he is still a stud athlete and a great tackler and there is always a way to find a big role for guys like that.

Just happy he is in Scarlet and hope to see good things from him this year.

Just happy he is in Scarlet and hope to see good things from him this year.

And yeah I figured his speed had to be the issue, but obviously can't say I followed him specifically enough to know for sure.

Either way though he is still a stud athlete and a great tackler and there is always a way to find a big role for guys like that.
Was thinking about him recently and how heralded he was coming out of hs but he has not taken that step to be the starter . Sometimes it doesn't work out that is why you have to stay even keeled with recruits and not anoint them as saviors .

Reactions: NYSportsFan
There are four and five stars all across the country every year that don't pan out. Not necessarily saying that's the case yet with Lambert, just saying that a high star rating guarantees absolutely nothing. All it means is that the chances of that recruit becoming a solid player is better than for a two or a three star. But even for a four star it's probably only about fifty percent or so.

There are four and five stars all across the country every year that don't pan out. Not necessarily saying that's the case yet with Lambert, just saying that a high star rating guarantees absolutely nothing. All it means is that the chances of that recruit becoming a solid player is better than for a two or a three star. But even for a four star it's probably only about fifty percent or so.

Thank you for the general run down that not all 4 and 5 star players work out.

But do you have any information specifically about Lambert and why he is not playing at the same position he played at in HS when he was a 4 star recruit? The whole point of the thread was about Lambert's situation.... I would say 99% of us on the board are aware that high star ratings doesn't guarantee success.

Sorry, Mike. Missed the part about the move to DL. Don't have any information on that.

More importantly, is he still studying engineering like he wanted during his recruitment?

But do you have any information specifically about Lambert and why he is not playing at the same position he played at in HS when he was a 4 star recruit? The whole point of the thread was about Lambert's situation.... I would say 99% of us on the board are aware that high star ratings doesn't guarantee success.
There were 4 4 star players and 1 5 star player from 2012 and all of them are starters except Lambert, who was switched to the defensive end and is second string. 3 of them will be in the NFL, Carroo, Hamilton and Mueller.

Stop with the stupid argument that stars doesn't matter or that we never recruited 4 stars before. Schiano got 2-4 4 stars almost every year.

There were 4 4 star players and 1 5 star player from 2012 and all of them are starters except Lambert, who was switched to the defensive end and is second string. 3 of them will be in the NFL, Carroo, Hamilton and Mueller.

Stop with the stupid argument that stars doesn't matter or that we never recruited 4 stars before. Schiano got 2-4 4 stars almost every year.

WTF no he didn't. He got 4 4 stars only in 2012 and that was due to the Pitt implosion and landing Achilegco/Hafley. Most other years it was either 1 or 2 4 stars, many of which turned out to be busts.

Reactions: redking
WTF no he didn't. He got 4 4 stars only in 2012 and that was due to the Pitt implosion and landing Achilegco/Hafley. Most other years it was either 1 or 2 4 stars, many of which turned out to be busts.
2012-5 4 stars or better, 2011-4 4 stars, 2010-2 4 stars, 2009-4 4 stars, 2008-3 4 stars, and 2007- 3 4 stars. Hafley is 2012. Less bust than 2 or 3 stars. I don't know if Savage or Shuler are bust since Savage is in the NFL and Shuler is playing for NW

Last edited:
Players switch positions all the time. If he is on the 2 deep he will see playing time. If he is good enough he will start. It's about the team not how many "stars" they had.

Really not complicated OP.

Flood is doing a good job with what he has to work with. I expect at least one big upset win this year. A winning record and another bowl game. If we can get at least average QB play. If the QB's crap the bed then we will be in trouble.

2012 Carroo NFL, Hamilton NFL, Mueller NFL?, Denman starter 2015, Lambert backup still has a chance to be starter

2011 Mera a starter, Huggins started many games, Shuler played at NW, and Wright never played

2010 Coleman NFL, Knight starter?

2009 Holmes started 4 seasons, Ryan NFL, Savage NFL, Rocket played many games

2008 Vallone starter for 4 yrs, Forst starter 2.5 years, Stroud ?

2007 Davis NFL, Abreu starter, Mason Robinson played but injured too many times

2006 Britt NFL, Kordell Young played but injured too many times

A lot of NFL players and our best players only Wright and Stroud were total bust. The MYTH that many of our four star players are bust is dispelled. All of them didn't become SUPERSTARS. The MYTH that Schiano didn't recruit 4 stars and Hafley can only recruit 4 stars is dispelled

This is on top of Schiano averaged 9 wins a season for 6 out of his last 7 seasons excluding 2010 The year LeGrand was hurt

Last edited:

Wait, he had an offer to play at Alabama but he realized he was too slow to play linebacker at Alabama so he came to Rutgers?

Or did the Alabama coaches rescind the offer after they realized he was too slow to play for them so he decided to come to Rutgers?

Or did he go to Alabama and then realized he was too slow to get playing time at Alabama and decided to transfer to Rutgers?

I don't understand. I'm confused.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
My understanding is that he outgrew the LB position. And with his size he would be better at DE.

Wait, he had an offer to play at Alabama but he realized he was too slow to play linebacker at Alabama so he came to Rutgers?

Or did the Alabama coaches rescind the offer after they realized he was too slow to play for them so he decided to come to Rutgers?

Or did he go to Alabama and then realized he was too slow to get playing time at Alabama and decided to transfer to Rutgers?

I don't understand. I'm confused.

It looked early in the process that he was going out of state, interest in him cooled over speed concerns.

Reactions: IMARUFAN

What the heck are you talking about?

There whole thread was just asking why Lambert isn't at LB anymore and if anyone has any specific information as to why?

Poster "JQRU91" mis-read my original post and started talking about how it isn't guaranteed that all 4 stars will work out. And so then I responded by basically saying while yes this is true it wasn't exactly on point and didn't answer my question as to why Lambert isn't at LB anymore.

So RutgersDave please read the whole thread before making accusatory posts like above because if you don't then your posts don't even make sense to the conversation. I am a huge believer that star's matter just asked the 2 teams that were in the the College Playoffs last year.. they all get big time recruits pretty regularly.

Players switch positions all the time. If he is on the 2 deep he will see playing time. If he is good enough he will start. It's about the team not how many "stars" they had.

Really not complicated OP.

Flood is doing a good job with what he has to work with. I expect at least one big upset win this year. A winning record and another bowl game. If we can get at least average QB play. If the QB's crap the bed then we will be in trouble.

Dr. Potato this thread was created because I was just curious why a nationally ranked 4 star recruit in HS at LB couldn't crack our starting LB core and is now a DL.

You're post provides zero information to answer that question.

Of course ignoring the 4 stars who transfered out.....

The first reply to your question was your answer. He's not fast enough and never was

Finally someone who actually stay on the TOPIC. Thanks for the insights RU205.

really? The size/speed thing never occurred to you when you thought about creating this thread? Are you going to reissue this thread wit other names as we lead up to the season?

Brian Urlacher was recruited as a defensive back... why did new mexico and the Bears use him as a LB? Heck.. forget Urlacher.. think about Khaseem Greene or any of the multitude of players who have been switched in college or the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rokodesh
Lambert has been a good team guy. He gets a bunch of reps every game and does a nice job. With the position switch, it usually takes a year or two to get adjusted, therefore this year he should be playing with much more ease.
Reminds me a lot of Cedric Brown in 2001 out of Hackensack. Probably the best MLB in the state and he was moved down to DL by schiano.

Mike, in a lot of defenses across the country, Lambert would not have been moved, but you need to fly to play on the second level of our defense. I am hoping Kaiwan Lewis who is transferring in can move a bit more than folks believe by the way.

Probably was hit by the same curse that affected William Beckford and Manny Abreu (other 4-star LBs turned DEs): someone else played the position better and switching positions offered the best opportunity for playing time.

really? The size/speed thing never occurred to you when you thought about creating this thread? Are you going to reissue this thread wit other names as we lead up to the season?

Brian Urlacher was recruited as a defensive back... why did new mexico and the Bears use him as a LB? Heck.. forget Urlacher.. think about Khaseem Greene or any of the multitude of players who have been switched in college or the NFL.

This thread seems to have brought out all the worst posters.

Of course my guess was that he wasn't fast enough, but I wasn't going to pretend that I have been following Lambert career close enough to know for sure....hence why I put it in the Forum.

And if you read my posts I even said the following in like the 4th post of the thread...

"And yeah I figured his speed had to be the issue, but obviously can't say I followed him specifically enough to know for sure.

With Lambert it's more about slow reaction. My cousin was a running back for a rival team and told me this. He said Lambert had poor football fundamentals. Said in college he won't be good because all really has is size. But he also said Greg Webb was a backfield disrupting - hard hitting force. Really wish we had Webb lol

Whoa, Lambert is a significant contributor, and an integral part of the team who gets significant playing time and makes plays, why are people talking about him like he hasn't performed? Is he a can't miss #1 NFL pick probably not, but so what give the kid a break he is on the field playing college football for a good team in great conference give it a rest and be happy that Q is at RU.

He has already contributed and has 2 years left. People are writing his epitaph a little too soon.

This thread seems to have brought out all the worst posters.

Of course my guess was that he wasn't fast enough, but I wasn't going to pretend that I have been following Lambert career close enough to know for sure....hence why I put it in the Forum.

And if you read my posts I even said the following in like the 4th post of the thread...

"And yeah I figured his speed had to be the issue, but obviously can't say I followed him specifically enough to know for sure.

Mike, you know you were trying to knock the rating system. Why did you have to mention his 4 star rating and the comment that 99% knows that high rating does not guarantee success.

Look at the listing of the 4 stars and it's proves that 80% of the time they will be successful.

Better question at this point might be: Will Lambert play DE or on the interior of the line?

2012 Carroo NFL, Hamilton NFL, Mueller NFL?, Denman starter 2015, Lambert backup still has a chance to be starter

2011 Mera a starter, Huggins started many games, Shuler played at NW, and Wright never played

2010 Coleman NFL, Knight starter?

2009 Holmes started 4 seasons, Ryan NFL, Savage NFL, Rocket played many games

2008 Vallone starter for 4 yrs, Forst starter 2.5 years, Stroud ?

2007 Davis NFL, Abreu starter, Mason Robinson played but injured too many times

2006 Britt NFL, Kordell Young played but injured too many times

A lot of NFL players and our best players only Wright and Stroud were total bust. The MYTH that many of our four star players are bust is dispelled. All of them didn't become SUPERSTARS. The MYTH that Schiano didn't recruit 4 stars and Hafley can only recruit 4 stars is dispelled

This is on top of Schiano averaged 9 wins a season for 6 out of his last 7 seasons excluding 2010 The year LeGrand was hurt

Why does "NFL" matter? DB Joe Porter still plays in the NFL and he was hardly a great college player here at Rutgers. What matters is what happens WHEN THESE KIDS ARE AT RUTGERS. Also matters if they play at least 3 years at Rutgers.

Impact 4-5 star recruits who lived up to their ranking WHILE AT RUTGERS:
1. Britt
2. Davis
3. Vallone
4. Holmes
5. Ryan
6. Coleman
7. Hamilton
8. Carroo

4-5 star recruits who played at Rutgers 3+ years but were no more productive/better than our good 3* players:
1. Kordell Young
2. Manny Abreu
3. Art Forst
4. Mason Robinson
5. Savon Huggins

4-5 star recruits who transferred out of the Rutgers program or never made it on the field:
1. Berkeley Hutchinson
2. Keith Stroud
3. Antwan "Rocket" Williams
4. Tom Savage
5. Rashad Knight
6. Miles Shuler
7. Marquis Wright

Verdict still out on:
1. Dewajny Mera - I think he will elevate into first group after this season.
2. Chris Mueller - looks like he will elevate into first group eventually.
3. Denman - I think will elevate into first group by time career is over.
4. Lambert - Can still elevate into first group but right now looking like second group which still isn't bad at all.

Thank you, BoogieKnight, for saying exactly what I was thinking.

If a player - 4 star or other - transfers out of the program, winds up on the 2-deep, 3-deep, scout team etc., there is a good reason why. It means that he's been lapped by other players. Players who - wait for it - might have had a lesser star rating coming out of high school. You think that this is a Rutgers-only problem? Go look at EVERY OTHER SCHOOL. What about players who are constantly injured? Stars don't seem factor that in, do they?

I don't really care how many stars you have - hell, Ray Rice was "only" a 3-star player. All I care about is how well you perform on the field.

Thank you, BoogieKnight, for saying exactly what I was thinking.

If a player - 4 star or other - transfers out of the program, winds up on the 2-deep, 3-deep, scout team etc., there is a good reason why. It means that he's been lapped by other players. Players who - wait for it - might have had a lesser star rating coming out of high school. You think that this is a Rutgers-only problem? Go look at EVERY OTHER SCHOOL. What about players who are constantly injured? Stars don't seem factor that in, do they?

I don't really care how many stars you have - hell, Ray Rice was "only" a 3-star player. All I care about is how well you perform on the field.
His second list of 4 stars that didn't play better than 3 stars is BS. More 2-3 stars don't even get on the field. There are 2 starters on this list. Blame the system or players when they get hurt. Verdict still out is BS considering 3 are starters this year.

For the people that say stars don't matter, I think this proves stars do matter since most are successful.

His second list of 4 stars that didn't play better than 3 stars is BS. More 2-3 stars don't even get on the field. There are 2 starters on this list. Blame the system or players when they get hurt. Verdict still out is BS considering 3 are starters this year.

For the people that say stars don't matter, I think this proves stars do matter since most are successful.

I don't disagree with you there. It's not as though all of the recruiting services are colluding to making everyone believe in a "system" of which there is no inherent value. There is a correlation between the star-ratings of a program's recruiting class(es) and their winning percentage (estimates indicate that approximately two-thirds of the time, the higher the star-ratings of your team, winning increases). But, that's not necessarily due to the sheer talent of a 17-year old. It's also coaching.

Alabama doesn't win because they have a class filled with 4 and 5 star players. They win because they also have great coaches, development staffs, and support.

One can make the argument, as many others here have, that Michigan State turned into a winner with 2 and 3 star recruits. As has Wisconsin. Do not underestimate the value of coaching and support. This program will improve under Flood so long as he has a good coaching staffs and gets a healthy amount of support.

How is it BS?

Ray Rice (3*) better Rutgers career than Kordell Young.
Steve Beauharnais (3* LB) and Alex Silvestro (3* DE) better career than Manny Abreu whether you want to count him as LB or DE.
Kaleb Johnson (3*) better career than Art Forst.
Joe Martinek (2*) better career than Mason Robinson.
Juwann Jamison (3*) directly BEAT OUT Savon Huggins for carries.

ADVERTISEMENT