ADVERTISEMENT

How did 5-7 Northwestern beat Wisconsin and Notre Dame?

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
In 2014, how did 5-7 Northwestern beat Wisconsin at home and beat both TFTFP and Notre Dame on-the-road? For a sub .500 team, those are great wins. Is it a matter of solid coaching, some decent talent, but very little depth to perform at its best week after week?

They are a big10 team, built like a big10 team. Wisconsin and ND are great teams, but have their flaws. When you are a complete B1Gteam, you can pull off wins like that. We were small last year. We're almost there. Once we're there, we will have those types of upsets. We beat UNC by a bunch last year because of our style and playing in the B1G changed our style.

Good question as Northwestern was not a very talented team last year. I think both Notre Dame and Wisconsin did not have very good QB play last year would be re as on #1

Hard to fathom that Wisconsin didn't simply steamroll them. As other posters point out, most teams play WTF games. Maybe Northwestern was Wisconsin's.

Wisconsin threw 4 interceptions. ND turned it over with interceptions and fumbles. Golson lost his starting job because he was fumbling too much and at crucial times. NW played Penn State tough on defense and run the ball same as a Rutgers but didn't have 5 interceptions.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUsojo
Wisky also had a 59-0 WTF game vs. Ohio State. They were a far better team than 0-59. I believe they were very good, but had their inconsistencies from one week to the next. Certainly not when they visited Piscataway. They were a bit sluggish in the 1st quarter against Rutgers, then we got steamrolled once they got it going.

Anyone can beat anyone. Heck, we can beat tOSU or Mich St. That's why I hate when people already circle losses on the schedule.

Wisconsin was a 4 point favorite in that game !! lol.

Wisky also had a 59-0 WTF game vs. Ohio State. They were a far better team than 0-59. I believe they were very good, but had their inconsistencies from one week to the next. Certainly not when they visited Piscataway. They were a bit sluggish in the 1st quarter against Rutgers, then we got steamrolled once they got it going.

In 2014, how did 5-7 Northwestern beat Wisconsin at home and beat both TFTFP and Notre Dame on-the-road? For a sub .500 team, those are great wins. Is it a matter of solid coaching, some decent talent, but very little depth to perform at its best week after week?
Over the years, NW has prob pulled off more upsets than any other team in the conf for sure. They ruin a lot of seasons, ask Neb, MSU, Mi, Ia and Whisky. Just because they have the higher iq doesn't mean they can't play good football on any given Sat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT