ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical about the Big 12

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
IF the Big 12 was to lose four (or more) schools to the Big Ten/SEC/PAC 12, which four would you go after from the following. Think long term--

Colorado State
Texas State
Texas--San Antonio
BYU
Houston
Cincinnati
UNLV
UConn
Louisiana Tech
UMass
Central Florida
South Florida
East Carolina
UNC-Charlotte
Old Dominion
Utah State
Buffalo
Louisiana-Lafayette
Georgia State
New Mexico
Others ?

I love the hypothetical expansion threads. I'll start by saying I think if the Big 12 loses four teams then the Big 12 will cease to exist. If they did want to add teams and continue a C-USA type of existence I'd go for New Mexico, Houston, UTSA and UTEP (not listed). There will need to be some schools from Texas because if the Big 12 ever does lose four one will likely be UT. Besides, the Big 12 would no longer be a P5 conference so having members scattered across three time zones wouldn't make much sense.

If the big12 had to replace 4 existing schools with four from that list, I don't think you need to bother with long term thinkng. Conference would not survive long term.

Reactions: candid
If the Big 12 lose 4 teams, then the Big 12 would not exist.

If The Big 12 just lost Texas, the Big 12 would fall apart a few weeks or even days later.

How odd that the conference's co-champs, Baylor and TCU would potentially be left swaying in the wind if the 'money' teams UT and OU left? This is one of the many things that's wrong with CFB.

How odd that the conference's co-champs, Baylor and TCU would potentially be left swaying in the wind if the 'money' teams UT and OU left? This is one of the many things that's wrong with CFB.

Because those two schools are worthless. being co-champs and missing the playoffs does not make you a power house all the sudden.

Reactions: MikeR0102
If the Big XII lost four teams the conference would be dead regardless. But for the sake of your hypothetical if I HAD to pick, it would be ECU, BYU, Cincy, and... Co. State? Then I would immediately strap myself with C4 and blast myself to smithereens.

Reactions: Dr. Potato

Kind of like how all the schools with value left when UConn won the Big East's BCS bid.

Based on that list, Cincy, BYU, UCF and USF.

BYU has the biggest fan base of any non power 5 team, and then the other 3 would help with travel and expanding viewership areas. Possibly.

I'll play. If Texas and Oklahoma left--presumably because they found homes for Texas Tech and Oklahoma State, as well--Kansas would quickly follow them out the door, quite possibly having to leave KSU behind. The remaining schools wouldn't be influential enough to reform the conference. Most would have to look outside the P5. I could see a combination of Baylor, TCU, KSU and ISU in the Mountain West, maybe all four marketing themselves as a package. The American would certainly take any of the leftovers. WVU would likely rather play as in independent in football than (re-)join the American, but would get picked-up by the ACC or SEC sooner-or-later.

I'll play. If Texas and Oklahoma left--presumably because they found homes for Texas Tech and Oklahoma State, as well--Kansas would quickly follow them out the door, quite possibly having to leave KSU behind. The remaining schools wouldn't be influential enough to reform the conference. Most would have to look outside the P5. I could see a combination of Baylor, TCU, KSU and ISU in the Mountain West, maybe all four marketing themselves as a package. The American would certainly take any of the leftovers. WVU would likely rather play as in independent in football than (re-)join the American, but would get picked-up by the ACC or SEC sooner-or-later.

Completely backwards thinking. Even if those teams did leave, the Big 12 would be the one who raided the MWC not the other way around, since they have the Big TV contract already. Even if ESPN/ Fox negotiated them downwards, they would still make more than the AAC and MWC combined.

If those schools left, they would raid both the AAC and MWC for their best members.

If the Big 12 lose 4 teams, then the Big 12 would not exist.

If The Big 12 just lost Texas, the Big 12 would fall apart a few weeks or even days later.
Then Corn Husker would replace Mad Cow @ the B12.
Corn Husker left the B12 because of Mad Cow.
Corn Husker was not fond of adding Knights & Terrapins to their (new) conference among other things.
CHAMPS001_zps6db155a3.jpg

If the Big XII lost four teams the conference would be dead regardless. But for the sake of your hypothetical if I HAD to pick, it would be ECU, BYU, Cincy, and... Co. State? Then I would immediately strap myself with C4 and blast myself to smithereens.
Disagree. The conference certainly wouldnt die. It would expand. But it wouldnt matter. Whther it was still a P5 conference wouldnt be determined by those teams.

It would be like the old Big East - capabale of fielding some great teams, but overall behind the other power conferences most years, and way behind in money - just waiting for more raids.

But this is all meaningless. Ive seen nothing to suggest that anyone from the Big 12 is going anywhere other than Cowherd's speculation.

Then Corn Husker would replace Mad Cow @ the B12.
Corn Husker left the B12 because of Mad Cow.
Corn Husker was not fond of adding Knights & Terrapins to their (new) conference among other things.

If the Big 12 lost 4 teams, the scramble for the remaining teams to leave would be on and you would end up with a P4 comprised of 16 members each.

Which teams from the Big 12 who would get left out (P4) is any ones guess.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

WHAT???!!!!!

Take your Meds.

LOL! There's 0% chance Nebraska would flop back to the Big 12. Zilch. It's some ESPN writer's pipe-dream along with message board fodder for fans that spend their days dreaming up conference realignment scenarios. Nebraska is 3 short years away from a huge payday with 100% vesting in the B1G, much bigger money than Big 12 dollars. In addition, Nebraska will not shy away from stiff competition in the B1G. Although, it's not gone the way they've envisioned (winning the B1G Football Conference is no small feat), it's a school that's all about rising to the occasion. Eventually, they'll renew rivalries with Oklahoma and maybe a few other Big 12 prior friends, but as OOC rivals.

There is no chance...0...zilch...nada...that Nebraska would be stupid enough to join the geographically challenged dumpster fire it was lucky to GTFO of...NONE!

If the Big 12 lost 4 teams, the scramble for the remaining teams to leave would be on and you would end up with a P4 comprised of 16 members each.

Which teams from the Big 12 who would get left out (P4) is any ones guess.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
The remaining 4 superconferences do not absolutely have to stop @ 16 teams each.
Some can go to 17 or 18 teams to include all of the (former) members of the B12, ND, BYU

&

a couple of viable (mid majors) (UCF, UConn, ect.)

The Big 12 would become the American West. It would have to give up the notion of being a power conference and just try to be the best Group of Five league out there.

BYU, Colorado State, UT-San Antonio and Houston work. A combination of a traditionally good team, teams with new stadiums and a team with enormous potential. Some big markets, a big fan base and a "bridge" between the Plains and Utah. This conference isn't going to be good enough to justify ignoring geography in a vain attempt to maintain its prestige. It would have none.

There would be no reason for a team from the American to join that group except Houston or SMU for geographical reasons, and I'd rather have UH than SMU for the new stadium and recently energized fan base. And as a public school, bigger alumni base as well, even though UH is the third college team in its market.

Kansas
Texas Tech
Houston
Colorado State
SMU
BYU
Baylor
Kansas State
Iowa State
TCU
Boise State.
You put West Virginia in ACC.
Oklahoma and OSU in Pac 12.
Texas and ND in the B1G.
UConn in the ACC so they can continue to grow their football program.

If those schools left, they would raid both the AAC and MWC for their best members.
CF is a result of old rivalries that lost their appeal due to quality of teams, location or, national appeal. To many of the better teams are located in Texas. Texas will eventually go elsewhere, the money drives their ship, Okie will follow, sooner if they can dump their lil bro and KS, KSU bring nothing to the table and IS is also worthless because of Ia. The population doesn't support the value added to the other conf, other than Texas and Ok. Just a quick answer and opinion.

Completely backwards thinking. Even if those teams did leave, the Big 12 would be the one who raided the MWC not the other way around, since they have the Big TV contract already. Even if ESPN/ Fox negotiated them downwards, they would still make more than the AAC and MWC combined.

I've, obviously, never seen the TV contracts. But, if UT, Tech, OU, OSU and KU all left the B-XII, I'll guess that there are clauses that would prematurely terminate the agreements, as a loss of half of the (and all of the most valuable) parties. The absence of such contracts would negate any real viability of the conference.

The exodus would necessarily mean the expansion of, at least, one conference (presumably the SEC) to the magic number of "16." This would almost certainly mean continued expansion by the other power conferences. In such a scenario, it's hard to imagine a situation where WVU wouldn't be picked-up by another conference, if not the ACC, possibly, the SEC, itself.

With a core of just Baylor, ISU, KSU and TCU, the B-XII would cease to be a viable power conference. I suppose that the conference might be able to recruit twice the number of the then existing schools in order to survive under its name. But, this would likely mean nothing more than Mid-Major 2.0 + BYU and would be highly unlikely to assure continuation of the aforesaid TV contracts.

In the end, regardless of what you call it, the conference housing the remaining B-XII schools would be nothing more than the equivalent of the MWC (more likely) or the AAC. The semantics of branding would matter little. A B-XII with a Baylor, ISU, KSU and TCU core would be a non-power conference, regardless of name.

ADVERTISEMENT