ADVERTISEMENT

I will keep saying this word...patience!!!!

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Great get by Eddie

He will recruit players...I have zero doubts

People still really really need to be patience here

It's his team
And it is restocked now...and Ellison is still in play (I know we have 13 ships...be creative)

Regardless...we have a talent nucleus to develop a program

It will still take time

Remember this stat next year when we have out moments of dysfunction (and there will
Be)

13 scholarship players

Total combined number of years of division one basketball experience on the roster.

Total number of minutes played at the division one level on the entire roster: 3297

This is not making excuses in advance...but a customary take

I am looking for games and stretches of good basketball and signs of program building on the court and lockerroom

If this happens and we keep adding significant pieces with the limited ships we have available in the next two years...then Rutgers basketball will
Be on track

I agree Shack and the other component for us to succeed is Eddie being able to tell future recruits that a new facility is being built and show them the renderings and the model. That IMO will help tremendously going forward.

Totally agree. This team is insanely young. But there are alot of very good pieces.

Step 1 is getting the pieces here
Step 2 is getting them to play the right way
Step 3 is winning

It appears 1 has happened (I still like to see with my eyes) and if so I only need to see Step 2 for the 1st 1 1/2 years.

FIG: So we have a roster of B1G players on the team next year? That's good news. $$$$

FIG: So we have a roster of B1G players on the team next year? That's good news. $$$$

I reserve judgement until early December....it appears that it is a good possibility. I still don't have a feel for last year's 3 freshman that played.

Great get by Eddie

It's his team
And it is restocked now...and Ellison is still in play (I know we have 13 ships...be creative)

It will still take time

Remember this stat next year when we have out moments of dysfunction (and there will
Be)

13 scholarship players

Total combined number of years of division one basketball experience on the roster.

Total number of minutes played at the division one level on the entire roster: 3297

I am looking for games and stretches of good basketball and signs of program building on the court and lockerroom

If this happens and we keep adding significant pieces with the limited ships we have available in the next two years...then Rutgers basketball will
Be on track
Great get by Eddie

It's his team

It will still take time

Be)

13 scholarship players

Be on track
Shack is 100% right. Gotta be impressed by the Freeman get, Sanders, etc. and the future is looking up. But we have , what, 8 players who have never played one moment of Div. I collegiate BB, not to mention they haven't played as a unit. It's going to take all of this season to gain the experience and team cohesiveness.. If we can show just a little bit of improvement, progress during the season, hold the roster together and not lose our best players to transfer the way RU MBB always does, the following season should bring us at least to respectability in the B1G.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Here's my opinion of everybody on the roster as to whether they're B1G or not.

Lewis - Is he a B1G starter? Not in my opinion. Very capable B1G backup 4/5. He's the type of guy that we've been missing lately ... that fifth year senior that has slowly got better every year to the point where we rely on him to play important minutes.

Diallo - I don't know enough about him, but we were missing an athletic shot blocker. Every B1G team should have one. We've had some good luck in the past 15 years with shot blockers at RU. He's got the most potential of any of our centers.

Doorson - Every B1G team needs a 6'11"-7'0 guy as part of its depth. He's a work in process, but I'm not afraid to play him for a little bit if there's some foul trouble. He's not a scrub.

Freeman - Absolutely B1G material. Not a bruiser, but definitely will be a major factor and is everything we've been missing last year in our first year in the conference.

Foreman - I really really don't have a read on him yet.

Johnson/Johnson/Laurent - Holy crap we've finally got a few guys to play the 3! May the best men win the minutes (or even slide over to the 2, which would be nice to have B1G size there). K. Johnson used to be a top prospect in his class before he stopped growing and is both athletic and strong. R. Johnson can shoot lights out. Laurent is an all-around talent. I wish these guys could be an inch or two bigger, but I have to imagine at least one guy really develops out of this group if not more.

Goode/Williams/Daniels/Johnson/etc/etc/etc. All backups. All have their strengths and their limitations.

Sanders - Yes, I'd put him up there with most any PG in the B1G (once Russell goes to the NBA).

So many new pieces...I don't have high expectations for this season in terms of wins, but the fact that EJ has been able to fill out the roster with some good potential (especially Sanders and Freeman) has me more optimistic for the longer term. He's pretty much got "his" players, now it's a matter of developing them and getting them to play his system. Just give me evidence of progress this season and I'll be satisfied.

You are getting ahead of yourself here.

Sanders - Yes, I'd put him up there with most any PG in the B1G (once Russell goes to the NBA).[/QUOTE]

Of course I'm getting ahead of myself, but the question was "Is he B1G talent" and my opinion was that I would put him up talent-wise against many of the PGs in the B1G. I'm not saying that as a Frosh he'll be All-B1G. Just that, from a talent prespective, I really think he would measure up against most of the guys in the league at that position. He'll have a lot of growing to do, but I'm excited to see him on the floor.

I loved Melo Trimble when he came out of HS and headed to U of Maryland. And Melo was all that and more in College Park as he really adapted quickly to the college game/speed.

Corey is not quite, but almost that level of player. He is our starting PG Day One. Not doubt about it. Kid is good. How quickly he adapts to the speed, physicality, complexity of the college game is yet to be determined, but he has a ton of talent.

Until EJ shows the ability to get a team to play hard and smart, we will continue to wander around in the wilderness.

Hope you're right, but think RU has a year to go before that happens.
I hope I'm wrong about that, but hard to get my hopes up after years of disappointment.
Just want Jordan to field a competitive team this upcoming season and a winning one next.

A poster far more knowledgeable than me is preaching patience and I'll follow that (good ) advise.
But will hope your NIT is right and dream the impossible dream of Dance to the (NCAA ) Music
immediately if not sooner ( even though I know it's a pipe dream for 2015-16) o_O

Think a more competitive 13-20 this year leading to .500 in year 4

That leads to year 5 with an experience roster and a chance to make noise

People really need to temper their expectations way back with all the inexperience

People really need to temper their expectations way back with all the inexperience

I'll temper my expectations, but will dream big .
Knowing improvement will take time, but hope for RU to make the Dance quicker than rightfully should be expected . :D

Great get by Eddie

It's his team

It will still take time

Be)

13 scholarship players

Be on track

Great get by Eddie

It's his team

It will still take time

Be)

13 scholarship players

Be on track

I agree with your basic premises, and it is a good post. I do have to laugh though at the "patience" part. Rutgers Men's BB fans have been more than patient for 24 years. We have been nothing but patient recently. Don't know how much more patient we can be!!!!!! LOL

Hope you're right, but think RU has a year to go before that happens.
I hope I'm wrong about that, but hard to get my hopes up after years of disappointment.
Just want Jordan to field a competitive team this upcoming season and a winning one next.

A poster far more knowledgeable than me is preaching patience and I'll follow that (good ) advise.
But will hope your NIT is right and dream the impossible dream of Dance to the (NCAA ) Music
immediately if not sooner ( even though I know it's a pipe dream for 2015-16) o_O

I think it all depends on the style of play next year. No one knows what Jordan will do. Personally, I think pressing and uptempo. With a full roster and all the pieces you never know what can happen. By pieces, I mean a penetrating point guard, shooters, wings that can and WANT to attack the rim and big men down low.

There were a few games where the press was not too bad in spurts .....and that was without a full roster and lesser athletes on the team.

Last edited:

We are playing in a VERY good conference and our OOC is no chopped liver. We will be VERY young OOC when the wins are there.

I am looking more for a culture change and less wins and losses. I will be watching for a team that plays with a purpose and desire on both ends. Without that the program won't lift off. Talent can't overcome this.

We are playing in a VERY good conference and our OOC is no chopped liver. We will be VERY young OOC when the wins are there.

I am looking more for a culture change and less wins and losses. I will be watching for a team that plays with a purpose and desire on both ends. Without that the program won't lift off. Talent can't overcome this.

Building a roster that believes in teamwork over individual performance will be a start.
Rice's teams seemed to be doing the D as a team , but some of his players looked like the O as individuals and was allowed to .
Jordan building a different type of team with his young players, might just be the road to success and a team to be proud of.

Patience does not work in big time college athletics.It only takes a couple go to scorers to move a program from total mediocrity to one where Rutgers could be more competitive in league games and come closer to a winning record.The go slow approach has resulted in decades of futility at Rutgers and made recruiting very difficult.I will say progress has been made if the team can score at least 65 points per game including league games.Failure to do so will result in Rutgers staying at the bottom of the B1G and making Jordan's tenure very iffy.

Great get by Eddie

It's his team

It will still take time

Be)

13 scholarship players

Be on track

I agree with you Shack
I myself need to lighten up on EJ...this recruiting success has convince me I need to be patient

It was just SUCH a hard year last year LOL

ADVERTISEMENT