ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Chat with PSU FB Player - Franklin

Talked with a current player. Basically said that O'Brien was old school, but cool because he recruited the person first, then the athlete. Franklin was complete opposite. Said he is a fantastic salesman and gets star players. Already some grumbling from last year's kids that they were sold a bill of goods. He agreed that all coaches do this, but feels that Franklin is an extreme version. He indicated that a sizeable number of last year's Franklin recruits (relative to O'Brien's) are basically out of control, big-headed, and wild. Said the trend continued with this incoming group. Having interacted with a good number of these kids- can't say how or why, I see what he means. He said the jury is absolutely out on Franklin and he has serious doubts based on the kids Franklin is bringing in. If they cut it in school academically and don't get into trouble, they will be good, but if not, they will be lousy.

Finally, as I have heard from other players, he said Franklin does not coach. Is all about the image stuff, social media, big picture.

O'Brien brought in alot of players who under normal circumstances wouldnt get a scholarship to play at PSU. Now that they are getting to be upperclassman, they may not see the field as much as they thought. This kind of thing happens when a new coaching staff comes in. Resentment and hard feelings. If Franklin thinks they are his best players they'll still get on the field.

I am sure that Franklin rubs some folks the wrong way (including players) but I find it hard to believe that many kids dislike him considering how hard they play for him. Many Vandy fans had nasty things to say about him when he left but they all said his kids would play their guts out for him.

Thread is a classic already. lol So, to the PSU guys posting...do you guys know Franklin either? Close to your players? didn't sound like it.

FYI...OP usually comes in and ticks off most of this board. Not that he is a bad guy but his slant is usually toward PSU. He is also a professor there so I am sure he does interact with players.

With that said, does any of it surprise you? Maybe ask your star QB how much he loves Coach...Franklin is a brilliant recruiter and salesman...you can't take that away from him. He also happened into a GREAT defense there at PSU. He obviously can't take credit for coaching them up as most of them were already there. Even with a shity OL, he should have figured out a way to help Hack out. He didn't do a damn thing to protect that kid. And looking at your sidelines, all I saw was bickering and players yelling at each other.

I am sure some kids love him but man, I didn't see a team ready to run through a wall for him.

Jury is still out on Franklin, no doubt. That being said, hard to bring two very, very different personalities together (O'Brien and Franklin) and expect all recruits to be happy. O'Brien was a straight forward guy and Franklin is a complete salesman. Some people will see him as a phony but I have heard other accounts that say they completely buy in. I think his best option is to be a salesman, motivator, public figure and get great x/o guys around him.

I will say this. If you asked me who is a flat out liar between O'Brien and Franklin I will choose O'Brien 10/10. He held a private meeting with the big four (Hack, Sickels, Mahon, Brenneman) and their families and lied directly to their faces to hold his recruiting class together. It is also rumored that he knew he had two years before the wheels would fall off and knew he needed to get out before that. Since he doesn't come across as sleazy or have a big mouth though, people love him. Me? I think he is as slippery as every other coach in CFB.

kjb - that is pretty ignorant if you don't think that Franklin didn't lie to the Vandy players/recruits about his commitment to them. You PSUers remind me of the homewrecker who gets married and then is devastated when his new bride continues to sleep around.

zwick - sorry to have to break the news to you, but the OP is a professor at PSU.

kjb - that is pretty ignorant if you don't think that Franklin didn't lie to the Vandy players/recruits about his commitment to them. You PSUers remind me of the homewrecker who gets married and then is devastated when his new bride continues to sleep around.

zwick - sorry to have to break the news to you, but the OP is a professor at PSU.

Did Franklin set up a private meeting with his four headline recruits and their families and proclaim his loyalty to the program and assure them that he would be there throughout their careers? I hope so because that is exactly what Bill O'Brien did. I really couldn't care less about O'Brien leaving as both he and Franklin have their own sets of strengths and weaknesses.

Don't feed the trolls
30a6x76.gif

Every team has a subset of kids who have issues with their coach/staff, RU included. Sounds like the OP talked to on of them...probably an OB recruit. The VAST majority of the kids on the team love franklin. No offense, but this thread is a desperate attempt at spin. I assure you that I'm am closer to this team than some random RU fan who talked to a single kid... wishful thinking.

The OP most likely spoke to one of the upperclassmen recruited by O'Brien. I'm not surprised that some of those guys are bitter that their playing time is shrinking as the more talented players emerge. We'll see if the offense improves in Donovan's second year as OC because if it doesn't, Franklin will bring in a new OC in 2016.

Talked with a current player. Basically said that O'Brien was old school, but cool because he recruited the person first, then the athlete. Franklin was complete opposite. Said he is a fantastic salesman and gets star players. Already some grumbling from last year's kids that they were sold a bill of goods. He agreed that all coaches do this, but feels that Franklin is an extreme version. He indicated that a sizeable number of last year's Franklin recruits (relative to O'Brien's) are basically out of control, big-headed, and wild. Said the trend continued with this incoming group. Having interacted with a good number of these kids- can't say how or why, I see what he means. He said the jury is absolutely out on Franklin and he has serious doubts based on the kids Franklin is bringing in. If they cut it in school academically and don't get into trouble, they will be good, but if not, they will be lousy.

Finally, as I have heard from other players, he said Franklin does not coach. Is all about the image stuff, social media, big picture.

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The Penn State football team produced a record-setting academic performance during the fall 2014 semester, with 51 squad members earning at least a 3.0 grade-point average, the second-highest total in program history.

Coach James Franklin’s squad set program records with 25 student-athletes earning dean’s list recognition, 57 players owning a cumulative 3.0 GPA or higher after the fall semester and 21 true freshmen posting a 3.0 GPA or better last fall.

Reactions: getmyjive11
Sorry to break the news to you but EVERY coach does that except Paterno. Do you now support Paterno?
I support T
Did Franklin set up a private meeting with his four headline recruits and their families and proclaim his loyalty to the program and assure them that he would be there throughout their careers? I hope so because that is exactly what Bill O'Brien did. I really couldn't care less about O'Brien leaving as both he and Franklin have their own sets of strengths and weaknesses.
Also understand BOB had some serious problems with some of the boosters close to the Nit FB program and decided that it was best to leave rather than fight those buttheads
Even let it be known why he left. But being a NFL HC was always his goal
BOB probably would have stayed longer, without that outside interference, but would have left for the pros in a few more years.
Being successful at Penn St despite all the obstacles placed in front of him, probable caused Houston to make a run at him and
the interference he was getting from some Penn St boosters made it easy for him to take Houston's offer over the fight to run Penn St football the way he wanted it run.

Funny I talked to a Vandy player that was recruited by Franklin just last week. This kid had nothing but good things to say about Franklin & his staff. He loved him & said the team loved him. He said that Franklin never embarrassed or called out a player in the media. He said he was a players coach.

Also seems Rutgers has more kids leaving their program than those PSU.

CVilleguy12,

You do remember all the Vandy players that called him out for lying to them and being a showman? Or does that not compute in your JoeBot brain?

There are over 100 kids on a football team, not every one is going to like their head coach. Especially if that kid was brought into a program under a different coaching regime and is now being passed by someone younger.

Franklin is not BOB... he's not nearly as good of an X's and O's coach as BOB and his style is vastly different. That doesn't make him a poor head coach, just a different kind. All of this talk is interesting to me because you see kids in the 2016 class talk about how the current players talked to them and everything was positive. Is everyone going to be happy? Of course not, no team is. Do you think everyone on Urbs team love him? Hell no. Heck, I can tell you that many of the players on Paterno's teams hated him while playing for him but then appreciated his style once they were out of the program.

There are over 100 kids on a football team, not every one is going to like their head coach. Especially if that kid was brought into a program under a different coaching regime and is now being passed by someone younger.

Franklin is not BOB... he's not nearly as good of an X's and O's coach as BOB and his style is vastly different. That doesn't make him a poor head coach, just a different kind. All of this talk is interesting to me because you see kids in the 2016 class talk about how the current players talked to them and everything was positive. Is everyone going to be happy? Of course not, no team is. Do you think everyone on Urbs team love him? Hell no. Heck, I can tell you that many of the players on Paterno's teams hated him while playing for him but then appreciated his style once they were out of the program.

F JoePed ( you brought its name in conversation and giving my opinion of that enabler being part of this discussion)
Not every player is going to like their coaches and that includes starters.
Also some will change their minds and learn to appreciate what that coach taught them, on the field and handling themselves off the field.
Others will never like a coach they had, one size don't fit all in a like/dislike situation now or later.

Franklin might make PSU football successful, it's too early to say now
Being a traditional power and sanctions dropped, make it easier for him now then when he took the job
and he will not have every Nit player think he's the greatest person in the world.
If they play hard for him really is the only thing that should matter as long as the player and coach don't
let that dislike get in the way in the games and practices.

You have a creditability problem.
You haven't earned the right to be taken seriously .
Do you think [roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]makes you look like you're in the know.
For me it makes accepting you interacted with the Nit FB staff , limited or not,a NO no.
I call your message a bunch of BS and you a possible troll
(the Classic Troll gratifies his ego by pretending to be someone or something he or she is not. Classics make up elaborate stories about themselves, sometimes weaving some amounts of truth into their lies.)
I really don't care about Franklin, nothing against him I wish him the best except when they play us. I will not wate time wishing doom on anyone. All coaches are the same, if they win people will love them if they lose they will be gone. Don't believe me, Joe Pa won and they love hI'm up here PA. Doesn't matter what happen while he was the head coach, just last week he was voted onto the PA HOF. Win they love u, lose and ur a bum.

I really don't care about Franklin, nothing against him I wish him the best except when they play us. I will not wate time wishing doom on anyone. All coaches are the same, if they win people will love them if they lose they will be gone. Don't believe me, Joe Pa won and they love hI'm up here PA. Doesn't matter what happen while he was the head coach, just last week he was voted onto the PA HOF. Win they love u, lose and ur a bum.

"Doesn't matter what happen while he was the head coach,"
That's a shame and I believe you when you say they love that POS because he won games
A man who could have saved children from abuse and didn't is honored because he succeeded in winning games .
So that HOF did induct someone whose FB program won many games, but was a bum in real life for putting those games over the welfare of a child.

Disclaimer:much rather talk FB , but any JoePed talk with receive a reply from me about that enabler.

The kid played for Franklin for 2 years, so he knows.
He created a new name to get on the Rutgers board. He must have been kicked off from this board which I think is almost impossible unlike the BWI board who kicks off 99% rival fans.

Last edited:
O'Brien got Hack. I'm soooo glad he isn't coaching there no more because that guy would've brought that program back. Franklin will never get a QB on the level of Hackenberg because he is ruin that kid. They have the best QB in the Nation IMO. He needs an line. He is gone after this year and then it's over for ttfp

O'Brien got Hack. I'm soooo glad he isn't coaching there no more because that guy would've brought that program back. Franklin will never get a QB on the level of Hackenberg because he is ruin that kid. They have the best QB in the Nation IMO. He needs an line. He is gone after this year and then it's over for ttfp
Yep, we will probably never get another win after next year. Sucks.

Actually, Hackenberg gave his verbal to JoePa but yes, O'Brien was able to hold on to him. I suppose only time will tell if your prediction of "after this year it's over for ttfp" comes true.

Actually, Hackenberg gave his verbal to JoePa but yes, O'Brien was able to hold on to him. I suppose only time will tell if your prediction of "after this year it's over for ttfp" comes true.
No, he was a BOB recruit the whole way. BOB identified him and made him a priority.

I was ready to call BS on this post, but then realized that the OP has real PSU contacts. Interesting stuff. Obviously, I'd love to see that snake oil salesman fail!
Why Rowe keep discussing the coach of another team ? Too many on here are obsessed with everything PSU.

Not quite sure where I would even start with this one.

Joe was dead and buried when Hackenberg committed (2/29/12). So unless he can speak to the dead I don't know how in the world he would have verbaled to Joe.

Hi PSU fans. I am glad you are enjoying your discussions on Scarlet Nation's Rutgers Football message board. Do you guys have such discussions on the BWI board? Just wondering why there are so many fans of PSU on the baord of a team that you guys don't consider a rival. Carry on, and I look forward to our game in September.

Hi PSU fans. I am glad you are enjoying your discussions on Scarlet Nation's Rutgers Football message board. Do you guys have such discussions on the BWI board? Just wondering why there are so many fans of PSU on the baord of a team that you guys don't consider a rival. Carry on, and I look forward to our game in September.

Unfortunately not. It seems like 95% of the traffic on the bwi free board is cult members trying to defend Joe Pa or about Sandusky scandel. It borderline unreadable. The pay board is much better.

Reactions: ron313 and kjb32812
Unfortunately not. It seems like 95% of the traffic on the bwi free board is cult members trying to defend Joe Pa or about Sandusky scandel. It borderline unreadable. The pay board is much better.

LL

This. The mcAndrew board is terrible now. It used to be a very good free board.

I am sure that Franklin rubs some folks the wrong way (including players) but I find it hard to believe that many kids dislike him considering how hard they play for him. Many Vandy fans had nasty things to say about him when he left but they all said his kids would play their guts out for him.
Franklin appears masterful at hype and image. He's perfect for college kids, especially recruiting. With the support of the college and some good coordinators, he'll be great. Their recruiting this year is outstanding. It'll be great unless they start losing some games the faithful thought they should win. He'll get some leeway, but I think he'll actually do well. The school boosters want to win more than anything else in the world and will do what's necessary to make that happen.

That all being said, I think if my son was a d1 recruit, id much rather have him with coach flood. And I'd rather have access to nyc for internships and work and play.

Franklin appears masterful at hype and image. He's perfect for college kids, especially recruiting. With the support of the college and some good coordinators, he'll be great. Their recruiting this year is outstanding. It'll be great unless they start losing some games the faithful thought they should win. He'll get some leeway, but I think he'll actually do well. The school boosters want to win more than anything else in the world and will do what's necessary to make that happen.

That all being said, I think if my son was a d1 recruit, id much rather have him with coach flood. And I'd rather have access to nyc for internships and work and play.

I am obviously biased so I won't even comment on where I would rather my son play if given the opportunity. I don't know Franklin personally so I can't comment on his actual personality but he doesn't come across as my cup of tea.

I never get the whole "access to NYC for a fun time" angle. When I was in college I was completely broke and certainly wouldn't have been going to NYC. In addition, why wouldn't I stay on campus to have fun? Isn't that what a campus is supposed to provide? I also grew up in a rural area so NYC wouldn't be for me. Then again, for undergrad PSU wouldn't have been for me either.

I am obviously biased so I won't even comment on where I would rather my son play if given the opportunity. I don't know Franklin personally so I can't comment on his actual personality but he doesn't come across as my cup of tea.

I never get the whole "access to NYC for a fun time" angle. When I was in college I was completely broke and certainly wouldn't have been going to NYC. In addition, why wouldn't I stay on campus to have fun? Isn't that what a campus is supposed to provide? I also grew up in a rural area so NYC wouldn't be for me. Then again, for undergrad PSU wouldn't have been for me either.
I interned at NBC and an environmental hedge fund while at Rutgers. Partied a bit there too. Plus, it's got amazing diversity.

I interned at NBC and an environmental hedge fund while at Rutgers. Partied a bit there too. Plus, it's got amazing diversity.

That's great but I know a kid who went to the #3 econ program in the world in rural OH and he interned twice on wall street. Again though, NYC isn't someplace I would ever want to live.

EDIT: Just like many on here would never want to spend time in the cow pasture that is Penn State. Great college town though IMO.

Last edited:
Admittedly, I don't interact with a ton of psu fans, but the ones I did seemed to reflect to a lesser extent the bWI board. it was horrifying. They seem to prove why football was more important than the scandal. I was all for the death penalty to help them get some perspective, but I sincerely hope there are more fans like yourself that understand the role of football in the grand scheme and do not ignore anything like that inthenameof football. And because football is so huge now, it could have happened at a number of schools. I almost wish the entire league canceled a year.

Reactions: ScarletNut
That's great but I know a kid who went to the #3 econ program in the world in rural OH and he interned twice on wall street. Again though, NYC isn't someplace I would ever want to live.
I did it during the school year. I could have done summer ones too if I didn't need to get full time work.

ADVERTISEMENT