ADVERTISEMENT

is Corey Sanders the Highest Rated Recruit to Ever Come here?

RURahh

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2013
i know rosario was pretty high up - guessing Corey might be even higher

Phil Sellers was picked in the top 10-15 players in the country. Rosario was a McDonald's All American and was picked in the top 25-30 by some sources. Myles Mack was selected All American by the USA Today. Herve Lamizana was a Parade All American picked in the Top 30 in the country. Todd Billet was even picked in the Top 50 in the country by some publications and was recruited by Kentucky. I'm sure there are a few others too but these immediately came to mind. Sanders is usually listed anywhere from 50 to about 90 in the country.

Going by Rivals ratings, Rosario, Echenique and Corey Chandler were all higher rated. Hamady and Quincy were also higher rated.

What everyone said here is correct. But Corey is way way underrated. He should be rated as one of the top 3 or 4 guards in the country and thats not me saying that alot of experts say that. If you want to put up that list the three kids I remember everyone saying was way underrated before they put on a uniform was Corey, Douby, and Gil Biruta.

What everyone said here is correct. But Corey is way way underrated. He should be rated as one of the top 3 or 4 guards in the country and thats not me saying that alot of experts say that. If you want to put up that list the three kids I remember everyone saying was way underrated before they put on a uniform was Corey, Douby, and Gil Biruta.

Any links?

Any links?

I will have to look for some f them, been a long time since they were posted (probably over a year). You did see the NBC article about him being the most entertaining player in HS, right? That was a couple months ago.

Sanders is a player and seemingly great kid. I just follow his twitter which he uses a lot. Is he the most athletic to come here- I would say absolutely. Without a doubt. He doesn't have a jump/3 like Mack had when he came in.

He can push a offense faster than Mack can though. Defends at a good level. If his athleticism stays where it is right now his while rutgers career, he would be fine. What will seperate him is how well he can learn from Coach Jordan, how well he takes criticism, and how tough his mental is.

If he can do those three things, he could be top five Rutgers has ever seen.

I am bullish.

Really hope Corey lights it up here and is able to use Rutgers as a stepping stone to a better life. Was watching some videos at work today and hated seeing him in this type of video :(

Reactions: TruJerz

Really hope Corey lights it up here and is able to use Rutgers as a stepping stone to a better life. Was watching some videos at work today and hated seeing him in this type of video :(

Okie, this is a basketball forum. Sanders happens to rap on the side as well. That video is why he is at Rutgers. To move away from home.

I hope people don't put too much pressure on Corey. Please, just let him join the team and play the game. Too much hype I don't think is the best thing for anyone. He is supposedly very good but was not rated as high as many other players in the class of 2015. I am looking forward to him having a very nice career at RU.

I will have to look for some f them, been a long time since they were posted (probably over a year). You did see the NBC article about him being the most entertaining player in HS, right? That was a couple months ago.

Yeah, that one sounds familiar. I know he ranked much higher last year, I think 10 PG, but I didn't know anyone was ranking him as high as top 4.

Yeah, that one sounds familiar. I know he ranked much higher last year, I think 10 PG, but I didn't know anyone was ranking him as high as top 4.
Hehe you know what it tis when you search for Corey Sanders on twitter there is so so much garbage that you have to trudge through thousands of tweets. There is a link to an article on TOS that said he rating was way underrated (don't have premium access to TOS), also quote on tweets like "May be the best" and "May be one of the top 3 or 4 in the country". This was a while back.

I wish somebody,somewhere, had tapes of those games from the Final Four season and Rutgers could get the rights to make copies for sale.

Almost like the kid Owens who got kicked out of providence. Would rather glorify the gang hood life then try to make it better

Many games in the 75-76 season were on the UHF NJ stations. I checked with them many years ago and was told they have none of the games on tape. They told me they often used the old tapes and taped over them. That was so sad to hear. I seem to remember that almost every home game was on their station. Several games that season were on NBC I believe too on Saturday afternoon. I know the Manhattan game in OT was on as well as the finals at MSG of the ECAC Championship vs. the Johnnies. Our Princeton game in the NCAA was also on TV as was the loss vs. Michigan. I believe the NCAA still sells the Michigan game. I still know that the final game that season at home vs. St. Bonaventure was auctioned off twice by the Court Club probably in the early-mid 90's but each time I lost out on it. Someone had to have made those VHS tapes and someone must still have one but who no one seems to know. It would be nice if it could surface. Maybe someone did tape some of those games from 1976 but I'm not certain what year VCR's began. I know I didn't get mine until 1980 and that was a Beta.

Off my MEMORY, if I had to generally rank the basketball recruits, based on the general CONSENSUS rankings before they came to RU, and not including transfers, I would rank the top 10 like this - Not including Sanders (you all can slot him):

1) Sellers ... by a wide margin. A consensus Top 10 in the USA player in High school.

2) Todd Billet. A consensus Top 40 player, as high as Top 25 in 2 rating systems.

3) Herve Lamizana. A consensus Top 50, or Top 60 player.

4) Dahntay Jones. Consensus Top 65 player.

5) Quincy Douby. Consensus Top 65 player.

6) Mike Rosario. Consensus top 65 player. Yeah, he was a MacDonald's All American, in that game ... but there are a ton of politics in those games, and there is no way he was a top 25 or even a top 50 player.

7) Greg Echenique. Consensus Top 75 player - I do not remember him being higher than that.

Other Consensus Top 100 recruits: Chandler, Mack, Hamady, Kent (yes, consensus top 100, though nobody had him higher than 90th), Inman, Jack (may have been consensus Top 75 player). I am sure I ma missing someone.

Top ranked transfers who were more than 1-year players: Earl Duncan, Keith Hughes, Rob Hodgson. All were Top 100 in High School - maybe even Top 50.

Reactions: redking
He's probably the highest rated PG recruit at RU since, maybe Eddie J? PG is the most important position in college hoops. High ranked recruits at the other spots will suffer without a playmaker running the show.

Jelly, You forgot transfer, Clarence Tillman who I believe out of Philly when he went to Kentucky was in the Top 20 in the country. He played with Eugene Banks in high school and played I think 2 and a half years at RU. He never became great at RU but averaged about 12 points a game.

Reactions: RUJMM78
He's probably the highest rated PG recruit at RU since, maybe Eddie J? PG is the most important position in college hoops. High ranked recruits at the other spots will suffer without a playmaker running the show.
Not sure if Todd Billet was recruited as a PG or combo. Heckuva a player until he left town on us.

Jelly

Think Herve was a little higher but a good list

Lloyd Moore is on the all transfer team too

Who were the top guys that we just missed out on? I know Jason Williams was top 3 in 1999.

Who were the top guys that we just missed out on? I know Jason Williams was top 3 in 1999.
Charles Smith was the biggest miss. Tom Young thought Smith was signed, sealed and delivered to RU. Smith's last-minute decision to attend Pitt pretty much signaled the end of the TY era at Rutgers. It was at that point TY knew he simply couldn't recruit against the Big East.

Reactions: TheRacRU
Many games in the 75-76 season were on the UHF NJ stations. I checked with them many years ago and was told they have none of the games on tape. They told me they often used the old tapes and taped over them. That was so sad to hear. I seem to remember that almost every home game was on their station. Several games that season were on NBC I believe too on Saturday afternoon. I know the Manhattan game in OT was on as well as the finals at MSG of the ECAC Championship vs. the Johnnies. Our Princeton game in the NCAA was also on TV as was the loss vs. Michigan. I believe the NCAA still sells the Michigan game. I still know that the final game that season at home vs. St. Bonaventure was auctioned off twice by the Court Club probably in the early-mid 90's but each time I lost out on it. Someone had to have made those VHS tapes and someone must still have one but who no one seems to know. It would be nice if it could surface. Maybe someone did tape some of those games from 1976 but I'm not certain what year VCR's began. I know I didn't get mine until 1980 and that was a Beta.
----------------------
your post brings back memories of watching the games on the UHF channel....for some reason they had just about every home game for the 76 season, the next year not nearly as many.

I bought a VCR system in 1982 and I seem to remember the technology was not around a long time before that....for some reason I don't think you could have gotten a Betamax or vcr in 76....if you could have gotten either in 1976 you were a true trailblazer.......of course if there are tapes of the st bonnie last game of the season out there, I have to be wrong...

there have been calls to find the Ohio state game on some sort of tape, that was around 1978 or so...all efforts have failed....I think My earliest tapes were when RU beat Notre Dame in bb in the 1983 season, with Remleys last second basket......because it seems like no loyal RU fan has a tape of the Ohio state game, I just don't think many had a taping system yet

UK I know recruited Todd Billet as a point guard. I forgot all about Lloyd Moore. He transferred in from Marquette but he was from Pittsburgh. He was rated in the Top 20 players in the country in Street & Smith's preseason publication when he was a senior in high school. Good job on Lloyd he slipped my mind. I still have an interview of him on my old Beta Tape at halftime of an RU game on the UHF channel from the year he was red shirting. Too bad I no longer have a Beta system so I cannot look at the few minutes of the tape unless I pay the $20 for a transfer.

I just checked and Beta was made by Sony in 1975 in the USA. VHS did not get produced in USA until 1977 when JVC began selling them. There were professional tape devices since 1956 but were only available for industries and were extremely high in the thousands at that time. Thus a 1976 recording of the St. Bonnie game or any other must have been made from a Beta copy or perhaps someone had a copy from the NJ channel on UHF. It sure would be nice to be able track that game down. It must be somewhere. As I seem to recall I think every home game except one or two from the 75-76 season were televised on UHF. Now if I had only bought a Bet 5 years earlier. I seem to remember they were about $1,000 or much more when they came out. I think they were about $500-$600 in 1980 when I bought mine at Crazy Eddies. Before long they were less than $300.

I hope people don't put too much pressure on Corey. Please, just let him join the team and play the game. Too much hype I don't think is the best thing for anyone. He is supposedly very good but was not rated as high as many other players in the class of 2015. I am looking forward to him having a very nice career at RU.
--------
He carries the hype around with him, and wears it like a crown.....

I thought Douby was a sleeper. Remember Jarvis did not think he was good enough for the Johnnies.

ADVERTISEMENT