ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rutgers a basketball school now? Penn State visit draws a contrast

I would say any school that builds a state of the art basketball practice facility before football cares more about basketball point in time. Not sure if that answers the question/is the same thing as being a basketball school though.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
The next several years will decide this question. Basketball is on the precipice of being exceptional. Football is still climbing the arduous hill in BIG play. Much easier to get 5 superior athletes than 22!

The basketball program has a true identity.

It has A tenured coach who puts a top ranked defense out there.

It has A home court that has established itself as one of the most intimating in the county.

And it has some mild levels of success so far. (Football hasn’t had any of the above since floods first year)

What’s missing for the stamp to be a “basketball school”?

I don’t think it’s more winning necessarily, but that’ll help. Certainly a sweeet 16 or better run would be an instant brand builder.

I actually think it’s getting Rutgers basketball on more prime TV slots on the regular. Fox and CBS prime Sat slots would be the exposure and recognition that turns us into a “basketball school”

… and the moment when you have incoming freshmen saying they chose Rutgers becusse of seeing the basketball team or having been to the RAC for a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT