ADVERTISEMENT

I've been waiting such a LOOONG Time for RU to BEAT PSU

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
always thought the '90's team had a chance, but in the end, we didn't have enough depth and talent, and frankly, the players just weren't disciplined enough to beat a team like PSU. those were the years, we would lose players to academic attrition in droves, so we always had a constant stream of new starters. At best, we might have been competitive in the first half, then got our doors blown off in the second half.

I remember one particular game where Mark D'nofrio had a monster game, where he was all over the place. another game, Marco Battaglia and Terrell Willis had monster games, but we just couldn't put the ball in the endzone, and lost something like 31-7. those were also years, where we had trouble beating syracuse, boston college, pitt and wvu too.

Now things have dramatically changed, as Rutgers talent is head and shoulders better than PSU's. If not for 5 ints, rutgers would've stomped a mudhole in PSU last year. If we had faced PSU at the end of last season, we would've stomped 2 mudholes in PSU.

what makes this game more meaningful is that i work with a number of PSU grads, so i can't wait to STICK it to them. They've been taking a lot of trash, so I can't wait for my opportunity to return the favor. Similar situations previously with SU and Pitt fans, and they got theirs.

Priority #1 this year is beating PSU.

always thought the '90's team had a chance, but in the end, we didn't have enough depth and talent, and frankly, the players just weren't disciplined enough to beat a team like PSU. those were the years, we would lose players to academic attrition in droves, so we always had a constant stream of new starters. At best, we might have been competitive in the first half, then got our doors blown off in the second half.

I remember one particular game where Mark D'nofrio had a monster game, where he was all over the place. another game, Marco Battaglia and Terrell Willis had monster games, but we just couldn't put the ball in the endzone, and lost something like 31-7. those were also years, where we had trouble beating syracuse, boston college, pitt and wvu too.

Now things have dramatically changed, as Rutgers talent is head and shoulders better than PSU's. If not for 5 ints, rutgers would've stomped a mudhole in PSU last year. If we had faced PSU at the end of last season, we would've stomped 2 mudholes in PSU.

what makes this game more meaningful is that i work with a number of PSU grads, so i can't wait to STICK it to them. They've been taking a lot of trash, so I can't wait for my opportunity to return the favor. Similar situations previously with SU and Pitt fans, and they got theirs.

Agree, very important to beat ttfp. They will have a good D and Hack will be tough. Going into Unhappy Valley and getting a win will be a formidable task though. Can't wait to see us play there. If we win, I am sure Franklin will give us no credit or props.

IMO, they should just make INTs illegal.

I was at the Rutgers win at Penn State with a buddy of mine. Some Penn State guy in front of us spent the whole game telling us how we would never win. I screamed so loud that game that I had almost no voice for a couple days. The only games that I got that nuts was the 2006 win over Louisville and last years win over Michigan

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I was at the 1988 game....one of the great goal line stands ever...and still is a top 5 modern era Rutgers football game.

Reactions: trentonrufan
....and Flood kept him in there.

(It gives you a warm feeling inside walking into this season if a coach couldn't put a back up in after his starter was throwing up on himself out there, right?)

Not seeing in this year, but next year back at home, I say we win by at least 3 TDs

I hope we can pull out a win but it will be very difficult in Happy Valley. Supposedly they have a very good defense and Hack often has a very good game. We need to pressure him again this coming season like we did last year. We outplayed PSU last year and led almost the entire game until the last minute. We couldn't close the deal and Nova probably had his worst game ever. Yes, PSU got lucky but that sometimes happens. I am a bit concerned about our quarterback situation but we are certainly loaded at running back. If we come up short this September I think we can take care of business the following season at RU when Hack is long gone.

I was at the Rutgers win at Penn State with a buddy of mine. Some Penn State guy in front of us spent the whole game telling us how we would never win. I screamed so loud that game that I had almost no voice for a couple days. The only games that I got that nuts was the 2006 win over Louisville and last years win over Michigan
.It's a bit early for me to pick a score.BUT RU will POSITIVELY win that game.AND in the most secret place in their little hearts,every nit fan knows it.
Those two posts taken together crack me up. The first is ridiculing a PSU fan for wrongly thinking Rutgers couldn't win the game. The second is saying there is no way PSU can beat Rutgers. Apparently fans are the same everywhere.

sorry Al...last year was your shot.....and we were still favored last year....do you really think we won't be favored this year?

Rutgers won't win the game simply because you REALLY REALLY want them to. it just doesn't work that way.....sorry.

when you take emotion out of it, as Vegas does when laying the odds......a new QB with practically zero experience, playing his 1st road game ever, w/a new OL and no Tyler Kroft against our defense in Beaver Stadium will make it an extremely difficult task to overcome.

crazier things have happened, but I would temper your expectations.

i know, i know....Rutgers has more talent than us.......spare me

Reactions: miket007
I can see us winning this year. Penn State isn't Wisconsin or OSU and we're not gonna have a dear in the headlights look just because we're in a big stadium. We got rid of that last year.

....and Flood kept him in there.

(It gives you a warm feeling inside walking into this season if a coach couldn't put a back up in after his starter was throwing up on himself out there, right?)

Critical Point in the game. About 6 minutes go in the Game and RU is up with the Ball.
3rd Down and Ten with RU on their own 40. Nova overthrows a wide open ( and mean really all by himself) Kroft on the PSU 30 Yard Sideline ( right in front of me). I mean overthrows him by 10 feet. Make that Completion and the game is over.

I can see us winning this year. Penn State isn't Wisconsin or OSU and we're not gonna have a dear in the headlights look just because we're in a big stadium. We got rid of that last year.
I hope you're right. But remember that our QB, while maybe not quite deer-in-headlight young, has not had a ton of experience in hostile stadiums the scale of PSU at night.

Rutgers must take the Nit crowed out of the game to win on 9/19 .
Their student section gets loud . Paola Boivin of azcentral sports wrote :>If you want really impressive, look at Penn State, which can fill its south end zone with 21,000 students.
In a game against Ohio State last season, a Pennlive.com reporter recorded the crowd noise at its peak and said it reached 111 decibels, which is equivalent to someone sandblasting close to your ear.
The noise led to several false starts by the Buckeyes and Meyer told reporters after the game that he "actually pulled my ear (phone) off a couple of times to hear how loud it was. It can't get louder."<
Rutgers can't allow the Nit crowd to make a difference on the field with their noise, making it hard for the players to hearthe plays being called and having their timing thrown off,causing penalties and/or broken plays

RU has the talent to win, but must start off strong ( and stay that way) to make sure the Nit fans don't become Penn St's 12 man and affect the outcome.
It will be close, but RU will come home a winner from Happy Valley !

The x factor will be the running backs in this game for us. Use solid defense and run the ball well and we can win this game. We have the RB's to control the game and use the short pass to temper the pass rush and keep the ball moving. This is the ingredient to take this game away from them. Hackenburg is a good QB we know, but even Tom Brady is mediocre when he does not have time. Solid D and the running game is big here.

I have no idea what our team will look like this year, so many questions. Plus PSU is extremely difficult to beat at home.

I hope we pull off the upset and shock the nation.

Reactions: trentonrufan
Amazing how many of our "fans" look for reason why we can't win. Can one of you guys tell me how they will overcome their O line? They may have the worst O line in the inference and we will have top DL. As for happy valley, before you guys coin it some up winnable place maybe you should look at their actual record. Maryland won there and I think they are below 500 in their beloved white outs. It's gonna be a fight but because of their D but some of you should check your calendars it's not the 80's anymore.

To add, the same morons from both sites said we would get crushed last year and not win a B1G game. People should spend less time posting and more time watching/learning.

Amazing how many of our "fans" look for reason why we can't win. Can one of you guys tell me how they will overcome their O line? They may have the worst O line in the inference and we will have top DL. As for happy valley, before you guys coin it some up winnable place maybe you should look at their actual record. Maryland won there and I think they are below 500 in their beloved white outs. It's gonna be a fight but because of their D but some of you should check your calendars it's not the 80's anymore.

Yes PSU is below .500 in white outs. That is what happens when you play teams like tOSU, michigan, Notre dame, and Alabama.

Reactions: Noffas and jup540
Did I
To add, the same morons from both sites said we would get crushed last year and not win a B1G game. People should spend less time posting and more time watching/learning.
Wow, aren't we a bit touchy.

Yes PSU is below .500 in white outs. That is what happens when you play teams like tOSU, michigan, Notre dame, and Alabama.
Why did you leave out Illinois? Didn't we beat Michigan?

You had your chance when we had 45 scholarship players. Those days are over and you are coming to Beaver Stadium. You'll need another set of doors.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Did I

Wow, aren't we a bit touchy.
If looking at things rationally makes me you touchy than yes I am. Same people went on and on with reasons we'd lose to Wassu, Navy, Michigan, Maryland, and NC last year.

I was at Unhappy Valley when Rutgers beat Penn State for the only time. Louisville was awesome. ..doesn't come close to that win at Penn State. Not even close

It was 45. And think about that.
Don't need to bc it's crap. It's junk math taking into account people you chose to RS, injuries, and defections. Using that metric nobody has 85. It was 65 or whatever the NCAA sanctioned number was.

And Rutgers will make that continue when they win the white out game Penn St reserves for the school they consider their rival.
Right now that rivalry is just developing.
It's there on the message boards, you can tell by the way Nits come on this board hanging on every word Rutgers fans say .
But it will take RU whipping Penn St's butts on the field to make the rivalry official. .
9/19/2015, rivalry will officially start right after Nit fans leave Beaver Stadium in tears, after the Scarlet Knights whip the Nittany Lions butts .

If looking at things rationally makes me you touchy than yes I am. Same people went on and on with reasons we'd lose to Wassu, Navy, Michigan, Maryland, and NC last year.
Am I any less of a fan for sitting in Ohio Stadium last year thinking Rutgers had no chance against the eventual national champs?

ADVERTISEMENT