ADVERTISEMENT

Johns Hopkins and CIC question

jay_hq

All American
Apr 24, 2010
Are they going to become a member of the CIC or not? Anyone know?

When JHU announced the Lacrosse team addition in 2013, there were rumors they would likely apply to become a member. Since then there has been no updates about it.

Anyone in the know about it?

I don't believe that JHU has applied for CIC membership. I think there have been some discussions, but my understanding is that Hopkins has not decided if it wants to join the CIC.

Reactions: jay_hq
I wonder why they'd hesitate. After all, being part of the CIC seems to be a good deal for Rutgers, so why not for Johns Hopkins?

I wonder why they'd hesitate. After all, being part of the CIC seems to be a good deal for Rutgers, so why not for Johns Hopkins?

I don't know. Joining the CIC certainly requires some commitment from Hopkins, especially in making certain facilities at Hopkins open to visiting faculty and students from other CIC universities. But those obligations aren't extremely onerous, and Hopkins already has similar cooperative arrangements with other Baltimore/Washington-area universities (including UMD), so this really isn't something new.

Univ of Chicago does it and they are in the same class and I would imagine they have a similar agreement in Chicagoland which includes NW.

Doesn't RU have a sharing agreement with Princeton, NYU, Columbia, Stony Brook....maybe Yale and/or Fordham but I forget.

I would assume as the nation premier research university (at least in terms of funding received), Hopkins would probably put more into CIC than it gets out. Rutgers is the exact opposite.

Chicago is in the same class, but was a Big Ten member to begin with, and their CIC membership probably goes back to a time when there was less cross university collaboration than their is now.

I would assume as the nation premier research university (at least in terms of funding received), Hopkins would probably put more into CIC than it gets out. Rutgers is the exact opposite.

Except the CIC isn't a research consortium (although they are trying to change that). For the most part, the CIC is a purchasing consortium with several programs regarding academic cooperation (e.g., course share, interlibrary loan, visiting scholar programs).

I can't think of any reason for Hopkins to object to the academic cooperation aspects. Even assuming that more students/faculty from B10 universities travel to Baltimore/Washington than Hopkins students/faculty traveling to B10 cities, I can't see this being a huge burden for Hopkins.

Maybe Hopkins is already part of a different purchasing consortium, and therefore would see no real benefit from the CIC in this regard.

Except the CIC isn't a research consortium (although they are trying to change that). For the most part, the CIC is a purchasing consortium with several programs regarding academic cooperation (e.g., course share, interlibrary loan, visiting scholar programs).

I can't think of any reason for Hopkins to object to the academic cooperation aspects. Even assuming that more students/faculty from B10 universities travel to Baltimore/Washington than Hopkins students/faculty traveling to B10 cities, I can't see this being a huge burden for Hopkins.

Maybe Hopkins is already part of a different purchasing consortium, and therefore would see no real benefit from the CIC in this regard.
I didnt say it was. But you have to figure that all of that stuff are things that Hopkins would be on the giving end of.

I mean I dont think that its a huge deal for them, so I agree - Im, not sure why they havent done it. But I think that they would definitely have alot more people coming to use their resources, than they would gain from their relatively small student and professor population being able to visit lesser schools.

What upstream said.

Besides purchasing, the CIC is very focused on sharing of ideas among administrators including equal opportunity, technology, library, legal, and financial administrators. In the 10 years I was at UW-Madison the first question I was asked by senior administrators when I wanted to do something new was: "what are the other Big 10 schools doing?" I always threw in what UCB was doing since it fit UWs self-image. Meeting other administrators in my field at CIC meetings helped in getting answers to that question.

Joint projects exist among B1G members, not because of CIC, but rather because of common interests among the researchers. A good example is the Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center at UW, https://www.glbrc.org/about, which includes Michigan State University. As an aside, the contacts I made at CIC helped to facilitate an investigation I was doing of the Great Lakes Center that tangentially involved someone from Michigan State.

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
With Hopkins Women's Lacrosse now joining the Big Ten, perhaps CIC discussions are being had again. Seems pretty clear with that move that both sides are looking to make the "marriage" a more long term commitment.

ADVERTISEMENT