ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan is recruiting a lot of Guards....is this possible

RU-Choppin-Ohio

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2011
Maybe the style will be similar to Villanova. They use a lot of 4 guard sets with all four being 6'6" or smaller. It was great to watch when they had Foye, Ray, Lowery and the guy from Jersey (can't remember his name).

I believe they call it a 4-out, 1-in Motion offense. I think they still use it, but, maybe not as much.

Just a conversational starter during a slow time for recruiting news.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/4OutLowMotionOffensePlays.html

Last edited:
I think it's because he believes Williams, Goode, etc are nothing more than role players. We lose Daniels and Grier (also role players).

You need role players to win, but first and foremost you need more guys like Sanders at the 1 and 2. Parker is a good one if he commits. But we need at least one more, plus the other positions. I really wish Freeman was a Frosh, haha.

Reactions: bac2therac
I think it's because he believes Williams, Goode, etc are nothing more than role players. We lose Daniels and Grier (also role players).

You need role players to win, but first and foremost you need more guys like Sanders at the 1 and 2. Parker is a good one if he commits. But we need at least one more, plus the other positions. I really wish Freeman was a Frosh, haha.
I agree with this. You need four guards. Next year they will be sanders Johnson Williams and hopefully Parker.

there are a lot more 6 foot 15-17 year olds than 6' 6'' ones....the 6' 6'' are heavily recruited by schools that are higher on the pecking order.

Reactions: RUJMM78
If Daniels became a better passer, uped his defending just a little- he would not be a role player on this team. He would be someone who needed to be stopped. Can he change? Hopefully so.

We need some players that show more assist to be successful.

He needs to up his defense a lot. Fundamentally it was awful at times. Basic stuff like man ball was a challenge. I chalk it up to the coaching he received up to this point. At this level, simple positioning when off ball shouldn't be an issue, but it is for Daniels.

No doubt. It's a shame. He has such high potential but mentally was not there last year. I hope he can find his way this year. If his passing doesn't improve, he can be a - sometimes. I don't know what the issue is.

He improved a little bit and showed his ass in the tournament, B1G that is.

I thought he was "ok"defensively for us.

On a good team he plays 13-17 mpg and is effective. He is a very nice athlete. We need(ed) more shots, more minutes than he can give effectively. If he gets 24-25 mpg again for us this year he can shoot better OR cut down on the turnovers. Improving on either of those would be a big help. Improve both and he could be effective for 20+

Last edited:
I think he can be an OK to good defensive player. When we allow our 2 stars to go out and have NO accountability on the defensive end it takes a special person to step up and defend when other teammates are not locked in beside you.

That conversation has been had a ton fig. I understand what you're saying. But this is modern day basketball. Most defense is played 60% of the time. I only pick certain teams to watch and it allows me to do a lot of things with my days/years.

Mack wasn't horrible defensively. He was always overpowered at his position.

Let's fast forward to this year. Hopefully people look at Mike Williams and say "I've got to do what he does"

Bishop Daniels can really be a player if he makes the right pass, doesn't force his game. Whether he takes that advice will ultimately decide if he is a 6th man/role player, or a player that teams need to stop.

Mack wasn't horrible defensively. He was always overpowered at his position.

I thought Myles had a very good Senior year and I will always be a fan as he stuck it out when most others bolted. But he was bad on the defensive end.

That conversation has been had a ton fig. I understand what you're saying. But this is modern day basketball. Most defense is played 60% of the time. I only pick certain teams to watch and it allows me to do a lot of things with my days/years.

dead wrong here

dead wrong here

Have you watched the NBA recently?Nothing but athletes. Lucky if you see defense these days in the nba. Maybe 60% of the teams play it. Ill watch the spurs, ill watch the bulls, but a lot of basketball is not involved with fundamentals right now. Sure, we want high intensity defense to be seen. Rarely do we get it,though.

I am stating what you've said about Myles Mack has been said a lot. We understand. Let's move on.

Where do you see a team where defense is played 80% of the time?Really good defense? I know it can be played, but the game has been so offense focused. The sooner I realized this, the less games I have watched that were not Rutgers related. Example- James Harden. Best offensive player, terrible,terrible defense. There are only a couple basketball teams I'll watch these days and look for great defense. The game has been in a weird trend. I think if you can get a college team to play strong defense 75% of the time, you have done well. Just the way it is. Sure, high school teams play defense, but they don't sell out stadiums/make revenue, do they?

Have you watched the NBA recently?Nothing but athletes. Lucky if you see defense these days in the nba. Maybe 60% of the teams play it. Ill watch the spurs, ill watch the bulls, but a lot of basketball is not involved with fundamentals right now. Sure, we want high intensity defense to be seen. Rarely do we get it,though.

Defense is played in the NBA. No one can guard a guy like Lebron James one on one so people just assume defense is not played. You see very good team defense in that league. I think this is one of the biggest myths out there.

Last edited:
I think the real question is whether YOU'VE watched the NBA recently. Judging from your comments, you haven't watched it since the '70s.

Reactions: higgins3
I think the real question is whether YOU'VE watched the NBA recently. Judging from your comments, you haven't watched it since the '70s.

Wasn't alive in the 70's. Defense is played, but to say you see it 100% of the time I think is far off.

Obviously it needs to be played at this level, especially in our program. But guys specialize more in offense than defense these days. That's how I feel.

Defense is played in the NBA. No one can guard a guy like Lebron James one on one so people just assume defense is not played. You see very good team defense in that league. I think this is one of the biggest myths out there.

You're right. Still, you see a lot more offense than defense. There are reasons defensive players in the NBA are very well known. Iman Shumpert getting paid ten million a year because he plays defense and chips in a couple points a game?That just shows it's not as defensive of a league as it used to be.

Also, AAU. Where else do you see a lane wide open like you do it in AAU?

Is the NBA an offense or defense oriented league? That's what I am saying. I love defense. It's rare that you see teams that are phenomenal at defense these days. Or is it more because teams are so good at offense?I still think it's because defense is less emphasized starting from the AAU level. It doesn't get the oh and ah's. It does win games though and this team needs to be great at defense.

You're right. Still, you see a lot more offense than defense. There are reasons defensive players in the NBA are very well known. Iman Shumpert getting paid ten million a year because he plays defense and chips in a couple points a game?That just shows it's not as defensive of a league as it used to be.

Also, AAU. Where else do you see a lane wide open like you do it in AAU?
Like all professional sports the rules are slanted to the offense. That requires additional effort on defensive players as well as IQ. What you interpret as lack of effort is actually a) offensive enabling by the league and or b) lack of defensive awareness as it relates to NBA defensive concepts as opposed to the more touchy feely NCAA concepts.

Like all professional sports the rules are slanted to the offense. That requires additional effort on defensive players as well as IQ. What you interpret as lack of effort is actually a) offensive enabling by the league and or b) lack of defensive awareness as it relates to NBA defensive concepts as opposed to the more touchy feely NCAA concepts.

Good point. James Harden is my prime example. It seems like it's acceptable in the league to play poor defense and just all offense in some positions. So what happens?Some people in the Ncaa/AAU are picking up on that. Kadeem Jack wasn't horrible offensively. Pretty decent. Unfortunately, very unaware on defense.

We are lucky to have Laurent, Williams, Lewis on this team. All kids that realize defense is extremely important and needed to close out games with a W.

Reactions: treauRU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT