ADVERTISEMENT

Kareem Walker tweet

RUchip

All Conference
Oct 15, 2010
ouch.....

@_KareemWalker: You don't gotta stay in your state to put on for your state. Most successful people got away and came back

ouch.....

@_KareemWalker: You don't gotta stay in your state to put on for your state. Most successful people got away and came back
his tweet was in response to two fans arguing about whether it would be a bigger deal if he won a Heisman at RU or OSU.

ouch.....

Someone from Bangladesh may want to go away and come back after college but it's not necessary to do if you're a football player from New Jersey.

Last edited:
He's foolish if he thinks if he wins a Heisman at OSU it will be considered a Heisman for NJ by anyone. Heck, it'll just be another black eye. Another kid that goes out of state and wins a Heisman for the visiting team. He's just rationalizing his own show of disrespect for his home state. Which is fine, we all rationalize the mistakes we make in life sometimes.

He's foolish if he thinks if he wins a Heisman at OSU it will be considered a Heisman for NJ by anyone. Heck, it'll just be another black eye. Another kid that goes out of state and wins a Heisman for the visiting team. He's just rationalizing his own show of disrespect for his home state. Which is fine, we all rationalize the mistakes we make in life sometimes.
great deal of assumption in this post.

Oh, so who was the last NJ HS athlete to win the Heisman? Was it Ray Rice, no, and he was from NY.

What I don't get is all of these NJ recruits who like RU, have them in their top list of schools, committ elsewhere and then become arrogant and selfish about the things they say. Almost like they now hate Rutgers and Our fans. I'm sure fans piss them off on social media, but it's not necessary to show resement to RU after they committ somewhere else.

What I don't get is all of these NJ recruits who like RU, have them in their top list of schools, committ elsewhere and then become arrogant and selfish about the things they say. Almost like they now hate Rutgers and Our fans. I'm sure fans piss them off on social media, but it's not necessary to show resement to RU after they committ somewhere else.
where was the resentment? It was a response to two fans arguing.

So all the out of state kids at Rutgers are disrespecting their home states? Did they all make mistakes by going to Rutgers? I guess I never understood this mentality. If the kid feels that the best place for him to go to school is out of state then so be it.

Oh, so who was the last NJ HS athlete to win the Heisman? Was it Ray Rice, no, and he was from NY.
Mike Rozier (Camden NJ) playing as a Cornhusker won one
Ron Dayne ( Pine Hill,NJ) while at Wisconsin. was the last
Princeton had an Ohio kid ( Dick Kazmaier) win one

So all the out of state kids at Rutgers are disrespecting their home states? Did they all make mistakes by going to Rutgers? I guess I never understood this mentality. If the kid feels that the best place for him to go to school is out of state then so be it.

No one said it's a mistake to leave. You don't decline an invitation to play for your home state university, join a conference rival and then proclaim "I'm puttin on for Jersey!!!". He's going to be puttin on for Ohio. It's going to say Ohio on his uniform. When he does well, it will cause Ohioans to celebrate. If his team does well, there will be a parade in Ohio. Highlights of his games will be shown on local Ohio TV. Radio broadcasts of his games will be on local Ohio radio. Nothing about KW's plans to attend OSU is "putting on for Jersey." He's specifically trying to distance himself from Jersey. And, it is certainly not a mistake for him to do so. He has his good reasons.

Trey Sneed, from Florida, might be the better player. He is not putting on for Florida. He's leaving Florida. He's putting on for Rutgers. And we are putting on for him.

Rutgers needs to win more and beat the big boys from time to time. It is a tough sell since Rutgers is new to the B10, has not won anything yet, has a smaller stadium, and doesn't have the tradition / reputation of some of the big boys. As long as the recruit gets a chance to play at any FBS school they will have a chance for the NFL. Of course playing in big rivalry games and Jan 1st bowls helps them get seen by the scouts.

Reactions: tico brown
ouch.....

I think if you want to claim your repping you're state you play there....you can't wear another brand and make the same claim...if your wearing a uni that say sez UNC..thats who your repping!! Just keep it real...so you gotta leave it "NJ" to be successful?

It doesn't get any clearer than this:

“We play football for a lot of reasons,” Coach Urban Meyer said. “We play it for the great state of Ohio. We play it for an incredible university – The Ohio State University. But most importantly we play for each other.”

Rutgers needs to win more and beat the big boys from time to time. It is a tough sell since Rutgers is new to the B10, has not won anything yet, has a smaller stadium, and doesn't have the tradition / reputation of some of the big boys. As long as the recruit gets a chance to play at any FBS school they will have a chance for the NFL. Of course playing in big rivalry games and Jan 1st bowls helps them get seen by the scouts.
Tradition? How about leading and helping to create it !?! Not follow someone elses...we need a few good men!!

Reactions: RUMountie
No one said it's a mistake to leave. You don't decline an invitation to play for your home state university, join a conference rival and then proclaim "I'm puttin on for Jersey!!!". He's going to be puttin on for Ohio. It's going to say Ohio on his uniform. When he does well, it will cause Ohioans to celebrate. If his team does well, there will be a parade in Ohio. Highlights of his games will be shown on local Ohio TV. Radio broadcasts of his games will be on local Ohio radio. Nothing about KW's plans to attend OSU is "putting on for Jersey." He's specifically trying to distance himself from Jersey. And, it is certainly not a mistake for him to do so. He has his good reasons.

Trey Sneed, from Florida, might be the better player. He is not putting on for Florida. He's leaving Florida. He's putting on for Rutgers. And we are putting on for him.
THIS

Reactions: Leonard23

I don't really get this either. I wish they would say I love NJ and Rutgers, but just decided to go to college elsewhere. No issue with this, and you are right, where is the resentment coming from?

Reactions: NickyNewark51
I don't really get this either. I wish they would say I love NJ and Rutgers, but just decided to go to college elsewhere. No issue with this, and you are right, where is the resentment coming from?
I hate to say it but its almost like their ashamed of us!?! Some are more secure like Keith Hamilton,Caroo,Huggins etc...but their too few!! Back in the late sixties early seventies down south or in Cali some would ask if I was from NY....I would proudly correct them...NO New Jersey is my home state!! Wheres the pride? Sorta akin to being ashamed of a hard to pronounce name I'd guess!?! Its who you are and where your from that forms you.

Last edited:
Its a tweet. Relax. Best of luck to any kid no matter where they go. But your kidding yourself if you think you are repping NJ if you play college ball out of state.You can be a proud Ohioan or buckeye. You hometown will still be proud of you, but the the rest of the state won't care about you the way they would if they saw you play every fall for 3 or 4 years and helped take down other state teams.

There's more to it than the NFL. The top tier recruits can expect to get hero worship while playing for the big time programs. At a school like OSU there's almost a guarantee that he'll be playing in a NYD bowl or NC playoff and his school will be consistently ranked high in the polls. Highlights of his every game will be featured nationally on ESPN and other national sports networks, not just on BTN. No matter how you spin it, committing to RU is a huge risk compared to about 30 - 40 other college programs that have demonstrated winning ways and a commitment to big time football. Everyone, especially the top recruits know that Rutgers is trying to do more with less. That's a long shot proposition as very few programs have ever accomplished that feat. Rutgers never has done it and actually backpedaled by paying the successor to its most successful head football coach ever one third the salary of his predecessor. That spells C-H-E-A-P and says "We are unable or unwilling to compete with the big boys". The recruits look at our competition within our conference and how many of them do you think are convinced we will win a conference title any time soon? How of many of you think will win a conference title against the likes of Nebraska, Wisconsin, OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, PSU within the next 5 years? 10 years? So many fans have said just win on the field and recruiting will come around. If Flood can do that considering the playing field is not level, he will prove to be one of the greatest coaches in the history of college football and then we won't be able to afford to keep him anymore. A doomsday scenario? Maybe, but we need to temper our expectations and continue to recognize our shortcomings while supporting the program. I don't fault any highly ranked NJ recruit for choosing another college and going out of state. I think many of us would do the same if wearing his shoes.

I don't put stock in Adam Friedman or any of these rivals guys evaluation but I read something from one of them recently that said if Trey Sneed was a rb in NJ, he would be 1a behind walker. So we good. Give me the fast Florida kids all day folks, I hope the whole team is from Florida. These kids want to leave because their support system around them bashes Rutgers so we can't expect these kids to want to stay in NJ. Wish him well, on to the next one. Keep it moving.

I don't put stock in Adam Friedman or any of these rivals guys evaluation but I read something from one of them recently that said if Trey Sneed was a rb in NJ, he would be 1a behind walker. So we good. Give me the fast Florida kids all day folks, I hope the whole team is from Florida. These kids want to leave because their support system around them bashes Rutgers so we can't expect these kids to want to stay in NJ. Wish him well, on to the next one. Keep it moving.
Amen!

Reactions: Garyboi

You don't need to play in big rivalry games or Jan 1st bowls to be seen by the scouts. It may help with the public or national media.

Kroft was selected before TE's from Ohio State, Oklahoma, Auburn, Penn State, FSU and USC.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU205
You don't need to play in big rivalry games or Jan 1st bowls to be seen by the scouts. It may help with the public or national media.
That only goes so far. Scouts will not see you if you are on the bench. Oh, and you will be recruited over.

There's more to it than the NFL. The top tier recruits can expect to get hero worship while playing for the big time programs. At a school like OSU there's almost a guarantee that he'll be playing in a NYD bowl or NC playoff and his school will be consistently ranked high in the polls. Highlights of his every game will be featured nationally on ESPN and other national sports networks, not just on BTN. No matter how you spin it, committing to RU is a huge risk compared to about 30 - 40 other college programs that have demonstrated winning ways and a commitment to big time football. Everyone, especially the top recruits know that Rutgers is trying to do more with less. That's a long shot proposition as very few programs have ever accomplished that feat. Rutgers never has done it and actually backpedaled by paying the successor to its most successful head football coach ever one third the salary of his predecessor. That spells C-H-E-A-P and says "We are unable or unwilling to compete with the big boys". The recruits look at our competition within our conference and how many of them do you think are convinced we will win a conference title any time soon? How of many of you think will win a conference title against the likes of Nebraska, Wisconsin, OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, PSU within the next 5 years? 10 years? So many fans have said just win on the field and recruiting will come around. If Flood can do that considering the playing field is not level, he will prove to be one of the greatest coaches in the history of college football and then we won't be able to afford to keep him anymore. A doomsday scenario? Maybe, but we need to temper our expectations and continue to recognize our shortcomings while supporting the program. I don't fault any highly ranked NJ recruit for choosing another college and going out of state. I think many of us would do the same if wearing his shoes.

If it's to the point where a prospective recruit is basing a decision on the HC's salary or if the facilities are the most expensive, it's not a recruit that RU is going to land and actually it's probably not worth landing him. RU has a ton to offer, not only is the school a solid academic instititution, it takes that part of the equation seriously. The football program now is in one of the top conferences nationally and the player will get much television and national print exposure if they are good enough. RU will be competitive in this conference, to me ...all of these kids that are so anxious to fly out of state to some "football factory" are not independent thinkers or leaders. I think they are too concerned about what their peers might say...the usual NJ self loathing..."Wow...you could have gone to Ohio St or Alabama...and you chose RU"! In the end, many of the hyped players don't exactly pan out...some obviously do. Major college football is a huge step up from HS and those with the mindset that i'm a star and Heisman candidate..usually don't possess the mental toughness and drive that it is going to take to really distinguish themselves. Suddenly they are in a situation where many players are as big and fast as they are...some don't respond well. Most of these players will not play in the NFL or if they do ..their playing days will be short...many don't seem to understand that.

It's true. He knows fans of his state school wanted him bad, it may have worked out for the best in the end but it doesn't change the fact. If you make it to the finish line and you're hoisting up a college playoff championship trophy, what does that do for Rutgers if the state across your jersey reads Ohio? There's no state pride in that. Rutgers fans will not feel like we realized our dreams through him.

Its a tweet. Relax. Best of luck to any kid no matter where they go. But your kidding yourself if you think you are repping NJ if you play college ball out of state.You can be a proud Ohioan or buckeye. You hometown will still be proud of you, but the the rest of the state won't care about you the way they would if they saw you play every fall for 3 or 4 years and helped take down other state teams.

Agreed, once you are gone, you might be repping your town, your HS, your family and friends, but you are not repping NJ, you chose not to!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Im guessing its just defensive. They have made their choice to leave, but dont want to feel like traitors to the state that they grew up in. But people make them feel like that by pointing out that well duh - you are leaving when you could have stayed and so they lash out.

I ean I have no problem with people going elsewhere. We get our share of OOSers. Its jus the coming back and saying you rep the state when you leave thats BS.

Good analysis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT