ADVERTISEMENT

Kareem Walker tweet

You are missing miketd1's point. The casual fan is not going to look up every athlete they see. Commentators don't give every athlete the same air time. It's 2015, do they still show the Ohio hometowns of Desmond Howard and Charles Woodson when they're on TV??

Any athlete can go anywhere they want. But wanting to "rep" one state by playing for another state usually doesn't work.

To your last post, in 10 years, people will think Mariota is from Oregon. Hawaii may be proud of Mariota now, but Hawaii didn't offer. https://rivals.yahoo.com/oregon/football/recruiting/player-Marcus-Mariota-109435
And in 10 years, people will still stay Mariota was the first Hawaiian Heisman winner who played at Oregon.

Thanks God for twitter. Else, how would 50 year old men find out and obsess over what a 16/17 year old is "repping"?

Grow up. He's from and will be from NJ no matter where he goes to college.
He's from NJ, but representing the school he chose to play for and if it's a State U , he's also representing that state.

ouch.....

@_KareemWalker: You don't gotta stay in your state to put on for your state. Most successful people got away and came back

04fbc730.gif

Grow up. He's from and will be from NJ no matter where he goes to college.

Correct, and he should be proud of NJ, but he chose to Rep some other college. I don't think anybody has an issue with Walker being from NJ or going to Ohio State. Just own your choice, and no reason for any resentment towards Rutgers.

And in 10 years, people will still stay Mariota was the first Hawaiian Heisman winner who played at Oregon.
But known as an Oregon player and that Heisman will be considered one OU can claim, not Hawaii.
Heck there are Heisman winners know as Polish Heisman winners& Italian Heisman winners , will Poland and Italy be able to claim the Heisman
Trophy as their own because a player of Polish decent or Italian won that trophy ?

Reactions: redking

Is Desmond Howard the first Ohioan Heisman winner who played at Michigan? Is Tom Harmon the first Indianan Heisman winner who played at Michigan. Is Charles Woodson the first Ohioan Heisman winner who played at Michigan, who primarily played a defensive postion. :rolleyes: Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Desmond Howard, Heisman winning Michigan WR
Tom Harmon, Heisman winning Michigan RB
Charles Woodson, Heisman winning Michigan DB

Darius Hamilton, Heisman winning Rutgers DL [cheers]

The uniform you wear is very important. It is a symbol that represents your character and your values.

When people see this photo, do you think they see "Team USA" or a handful of Americans with 6 dual-citizens who are also reppin' Germany?

https%253A%252F%252Fscontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net%252Fhphotos-xpf1%252Ft1.0-9%252F10329060_735307803175020_1179793590826246106_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RedSpartan
He's from NJ, but representing the school he chose to play for and if it's a State U , he's also representing that state.

Maybe. But I don't think that way.

I'm from NJ. If I take a job in the private sector in NY I would represent my employer, not the state of NY. But if I take a job working for the state of NY then I would represent the state in my work capacity. Some may argue that the same principle applies to college athletes at state universities but I think that is stretching things. Athletes represent the schools they play for, not the states where the schools are located.

HAHA the more successful ones went out of state? What are Brian Cushing and Will Hill doing these days? I must have missed all the NJ players since 2006 or so who left with massive success...

Meanwhile Logan Ryan and Tim Wright got a new piece of jewelry this past February, and out of staters with no school in their state to go to like Devin McCourty and Duron Harmon did too.

I have no issues with guys like Victor Cruz or Mohammed Wilkerson saying they rep NJ, they wanted to go to RU and did not academically qualify and worked at it and became very successful. You willingly leave, you represent where you went.

The list of NJ players in the past decade or so who left and became very succesful in the NFL is a fraction of the list of RU players who have found tremendous NFL success.

Nobody associates them with their home state though, that's the point. You think people have the time to remember the bios of every player of every game they watch when it flashes up on the screen or when an announcer gives a little tidbit on a player? I've watched Charles Woodson in a million college/pro games and always associate him with Michigan. Another example, do you honestly think most people associate the McCourty Brothers, Brian Leonard or Ray Rice with New York?
Yeah but the McCourtys played in a NJHS and lived on the border...not quite the same. Ray Rice...NRHS..he's more NJ than SU his 1st thought. Now BL was further upstate and we were glad to adopt him!! Didn't his brother get into RU as an athlete ..get hurt but still honored his scholly?

ouch.....

@_KareemWalker: You don't gotta stay in your state to put on for your state. Most successful people got away and came back

You don't gotta stay faithful to your wife to put "out" for your wife either.
Kareem, see if that $hit flies when you get married.

MO

I don't know if you picked this on purpose but it's funny in context of this discussion. I think that's Heuerman in the back left, Florida. Bosa back middle, Florida. Elliott front and center, Missouri. Eli Apple, New Jersey. Corey Smith, Ohio. Vonn Bell, Georgia.

Reactions: miketd1
Sorry, but if you want to represent NJ, you have to wear the uniform of the state university of NJ (and the only D1 football program in the state).

Walker is going to Ohio to play football via his own choice. He is not representing the state anymore. Bye, bye.

Reactions: RURM85
Some of you are mis interpreting the word rep. Repping is acknowledging where you from. He's playing for a school in Ohio but he wants people to know that he got his skills, his personna, his way of life from his home state. Thats what made him who he is. So he is going to rep his jersey style while he is playing in the state of Ohio. If he makes it to the NFL, he is going to rep Ohio st because the skills he developed there got him to the NFL. He will acknowledge both. Yes he will have Ohio st attached to his name during the NFL games but he will only give credit to the state of New Jersey when it comes to his birthplace and upbringing. Some of you need to stop being so bitter of him being a high profile kid who didnt choose Rutgers. It happens in every state. Doesnt make him any less Jersey than Springsteen

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Some of you are mis interpreting the word rep. Repping is acknowledging where you from. He's playing for a school in Ohio but he wants people to know that he got his skills, his personna, his way of life from his home state. Thats what made him who he is. So he is going to rep his jersey style while he is playing in the state of Ohio. If he makes it to the NFL, he is going to rep Ohio st because the skills he developed there got him to the NFL. He will acknowledge both. Yes he will have Ohio st attached to his name during the NFL games but he will only give credit to the state of New Jersey when it comes to his birthplace and upbringing. Some of you need to stop being so bitter of him being a high profile kid who didnt choose Rutgers. It happens in every state. Doesnt make him any less Jersey than Springsteen

Yes it does. Bruce never left.

lyndj said:
That's incorrect, if you look at these kids bios on the rosters, it says where they are from. When commentators are discussing them, they talk about where they're from. Please stop making stuff up. My kid is an athlete at PSU and every time his face is on the TV screen, it says where he is from.

Nice try, but you can't spin your son is representing NJ , after he chose to play for another state's College.
Your son is from NJ representing the State of Pennsylvania as a member of Penn St's football team.
He lost all rights to claiming he represents NJ once he decided to play for another state's University.

lyndj said:
That's incorrect, if you look at these kids bios on the rosters, it says where they are from. When commentators are discussing them, they talk about where they're from. Please stop making stuff up. My kid is an athlete at PSU and every time his face is on the TV screen, it says where he is from.

Nice try, but you can't spin your son is representing NJ , after he chose to play for another state's College.
Your son is from NJ representing the State of Pennsylvania as a member of Penn St's football team.
He lost all rights to claiming he represents NJ once he decided to play for another state's University.
I 100% agree. If your kid is from NJ and decided to go to PSU he is representing PSU not NJ.

You rep where you play. It's that at simple. Everything else is stupid spin.

I am from Maryland and played lax at RU. I never once claimed to have repped Maryland, because I wasn't. If it was that important to me, I would have went to Maryland.

Doesn't matter where you are from or where you might plan to live post grad. No one cares.

And you know what? It's all good. Just don't use twisted logic to say otherwise.

Reactions: miketd1
OK I read this whole thing duh. Try this. What would encourage this kid or any who leaves, to try and defend himself about leaving the State? Who started this whole thing about State loyalty? I don't think it was the Governor or anybody in leadership in the State. IT WAS RUTGERS FOOTBALL FANS, possibly because it is more palatable than accepting that the kids said no to Rutgers football, or maybe because it was viewed as another way to embarrass kids for leaving and entice them to play football here? Rutgers is not hurting for applications and in fact turns down thousands of Jersey kids every year, no complaints. The truth is, this is all about the minuscule few who play football or some other sport at a high level and the desire to have them do that at Rutgers. The State thing is a red herring but now the families feel forced to defend themselves, and we want them to not do it.

Sure - but it does mean that he is no longer representing his state. The fact that he feels the need to strike back against that means he knows it too.

Walker still represents the state. He just doesn't represent Rutgers.

This really is the stupidest f*cking thread ever.

And for anyone who might be directly involved in the nursery school antics - if you are categorically defined by the NCAA as a "booster" (meaning you have at some point in your life spent Dime One on Rutgers Football) and you directly engages a recruit in a Twitter conversation by including that recruit's "@username" in a tweet, you have committed a recruiting infraction.

My kid is an athlete at PSU and every time his face is on the TV screen, it says where he is from.

You could have saved some breath and just mentioned this first. You obviously have a biased and emotional view here.

And, as much as this hurts, he doesn't rep NJ.

The NCAA would have about 50MM cases on their hands if they decide to enforce that rule.

The NCAA would have about 50MM cases on their hands if they decide to enforce that rule.

Yep. And this is Rutgers. Need I enumerate all the past history of f*ckery that we've been tagged with that would have been dismissed at other schools?

I 100% agree. If your kid is from NJ and decided to go to PSU he is representing PSU not NJ.

He is representing PSU and not Rutgers. He is not representing PA because his family and friends live in NJ and he is representing them.

He is representing PSU and not Rutgers. He is not representing PA because his family and friends live in NJ and he is representing them.
He represents his family and friends but not the state of NJ. I live in NJ and he doesn't represent me. So he represents PSU and any family and friends that may live in NJ but not NJ.

He represents his family and friends but not the state of NJ. I live in NJ and he doesn't represent me. So he represents PSU and any family and friends that may live in NJ but not NJ.

Correct I agree. They all represent the school they play for and not either State, even if they attend school in the State where they live. They represent the school alone.

You could have saved some breath and just mentioned this first. You obviously have a biased and emotional view here.

And, as much as this hurts, he doesn't rep NJ.
Doesn't hurt at all and I have no reason to be biased--Walker isn't coming to PSU. There are some people who can think objectively regardless of team they root for. I know families who live in Columbua and die-hard Buckeyes fans and their kids are at PSU. It is what it is.

It doesn't really matter what anyone's opinion on this is you rep the school not the state. Nobody knows that Eddie George is from Philly. Everyone thinks he's from Ohio and that's fine. If Kareem walker does well at Ohio state everyone whose not very aware of NJ high school football will think he's from Cleveland or Columbus or Akron. If you think any different your lying to yourself.

Kareem walker is gonna associated with Ohio and that's a fact. If he's fine with that then whatever. Nobody demands that every kid goes to Rutgers and I blame flood for not convincing these players to come to Rutgers and I don't blame the kid. But the vast majority of people will never associate him with New Jersey and that's just a fact.

Impressive how many pages we can extend this conversation out for when everyone keeps repeating the same exact thing on both sides.

Sometimes I really feel like the reason we lose out on recruits is because this board represents our fans as so incredibly, shockingly, pathologically stupid.

He's right. Trey Sneed will put on for Rutgers just fine. Walker is over-rated.
Walker is not over rated .Ohio State gets the best players in the country and Walker is rated one of the best running backs .Gary and Flood are the best 2016 NJ recruits and everybody knows that Flood would be considered a miracle maker if he got either to commit to Rutgers.

Give the kid a break. He's a teenager getting defensive about choosing to go to Ohio State. It would have been nice to have gotten him but we have areas of much greater need. Time to move on.

Reactions: dicemen99
Give the kid a break. He's a teenager getting defensive about choosing to go to Ohio State. It would have been nice to have gotten him but we have areas of much greater need. Time to move on.
I'll give the kid a break, but won't agree anyone that goes out of state to play college football represents the state they left.
( Plain & Simple) If they want to represent the state they are from, they would have committed to their State U

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Sometimes I really feel like the reason we lose out on recruits is because this board represents our fans as so incredibly, shockingly, pathologically stupid.
So many dumba$$ posts are from phony RU fans on the free boards.

Sure - but it does mean that he is no longer representing his state. The fact that he feels the need to strike back against that means he knows it too.
Walker is a jerk and he IS NOT reaping NJ. Don't wish him well in football .

You're an F'n jerk with all of your intelligence insults you throw at other RU fans.

Just a Grade A prick.

ADVERTISEMENT