ADVERTISEMENT

Kareem Walker tweet

Doesn't hurt at all and I have no reason to be biased--Walker isn't coming to PSU. There are some people who can think objectively regardless of team they root for. I know families who live in Columbua and die-hard Buckeyes fans and their kids are at PSU. It is what it is.
Look, you are obviously and most probably justifiably a very proud parent. But facts are facts. You're biased because your kid is in the same position as Walker - and yes, neither are repping NJ.

Reactions: sct1111
Give the kid a break. He's a teenager getting defensive about choosing to go to Ohio State. It would have been nice to have gotten him but we have areas of much greater need. Time to move on.

This +1000. The kid is just responding to tweets and he is actually trying to be nice about it and not diss NJ. Would you rather him respond with "I'm NOT repping NJ." I can just see the reaction here if he tweeted that.

Walker is a jerk and he IS NOT reaping NJ. Don't wish him well in football .

He's not a jerk, he's a 17 year old kid. He's probably just becoming defensive from all of the flak he's getting from Rutgers fans. Wish him luck and don't burn bridges. He'll never be able to put on for NJ nearly as much as if he were playing in a Rutgers jersey. We need to get to the point where these highly regarded recruits won't have to think twice about staying home to rep NJ. Clearly we're not at that point yet.

HAHA the more successful ones went out of state? What are Brian Cushing and Will Hill doing these days? I must have missed all the NJ players since 2006 or so who left with massive success...

Meanwhile Logan Ryan and Tim Wright got a new piece of jewelry this past February, and out of staters with no school in their state to go to like Devin McCourty and Duron Harmon did too.

I have no issues with guys like Victor Cruz or Mohammed Wilkerson saying they rep NJ, they wanted to go to RU and did not academically qualify and worked at it and became very successful. You willingly leave, you represent where you went.

The list of NJ players in the past decade or so who left and became very succesful in the NFL is a fraction of the list of RU players who have found tremendous NFL success.

Ummm...Will Hill is one of the 6 best safeties in football.

Cushing was a Defensive Rookie of the Year and a Pro-Bowler. Injures has derailed his career.

You couldn't have chosen two worse examples.

A fraction? That is just dumb...

He is a product of New Jersey. It doesn't matter if he plays for Rutgers, Ohio State, or Texas. The skills he brings to what ever school he chooses were developed in New Jersey. All those hours of practice, games, work outs occurred in New Jersey. The coaches and other people who helped him develop as a football player occurred in New Jersey. Do former Rutgers players still represent Rutgers when they move on to the NFL?

Reactions: money3189
Yo Kareem YOU are repping the Horsehoe not NJ let's make that clear which is fine just dont say your repping NJ. The only place you rep NJ is in NJ
Outside of that you are repping yourself and your family again nothing wrong with that

Reactions: RURM85
He's foolish if he thinks if he wins a Heisman at OSU it will be considered a Heisman for NJ by anyone. Heck, it'll just be another black eye. Another kid that goes out of state and wins a Heisman for the visiting team. He's just rationalizing his own show of disrespect for his home state. Which is fine, we all rationalize the mistakes we make in life sometimes.

Maybe best to slow your roll/complaining about someone who has never played a down of college football that in your scenario, won the heisman trophy.

No need to whine/complain about something that will most likely never happen.

He is a product of New Jersey. It doesn't matter if he plays for Rutgers, Ohio State, or Texas. The skills he brings to what ever school he chooses were developed in New Jersey. All those hours of practice, games, work outs occurred in New Jersey. The coaches and other people who helped him develop as a football player occurred in New Jersey. Do former Rutgers players still represent Rutgers when they move on to the NFL?
That is correct. Former RU players in NFL represent RU. Former OSU players represent OSU not Ohio. NJ players in OSU don't represent NJ. If he wins the Heisman they don't say former NJ player wins Heisman. They don't say Marcus Mariotta represents Hawaii. If coaches from schools outside NJ are saying to NJ players that they still represent NJ, they are lying to these kids.

Unless that former player transferred out of Rutgers and completed his eligibility at another school, you might say he/she represent Rutgers.
But they are not representing the state they played HS in or the State of NJ.
They are only representing the HS and College they played for and possibly the city/town they grew up in.
When you leave your state to play college ball in another state, you are not representing the state you left.
You are part of a program that represents the state it's located in and its fanbase..

04fbc730.gif
Is that your bathroom mirror?

This really is the stupidest f*cking thread ever.

And for anyone who might be directly involved in the nursery school antics - if you are categorically defined by the NCAA as a "booster" (meaning you have at some point in your life spent Dime One on Rutgers Football) and you directly engages a recruit in a Twitter conversation by including that recruit's "@username" in a tweet, you have committed a recruiting infraction.
This is the 2nd comment about how you don't like this thread. No one is listening to you. If you don't like it then just STFU.

Ahh yes they do. They talk about RU all the time. If you don't believe me look up Sanu, Mc brothers, Anthony Davis, and the rest of the list

Reactions: redking
This is the 2nd comment about how you don't like this thread. No one is listening to you. If you don't like it then just STFU.

Yeah, I get it. I shall protest no more. Have at it. Abuse me for my Old F*uck Opinion all you wish.

Which doesn't change the fact that a three page thread about a single tweet from a 17 year-old kid who isn't going to Rutgers (or OSU) is really, really silly.

ouch.....

@_KareemWalker: You don't gotta stay in your state to put on for your state. Most successful people got away and came back
-------

Could not wade through all the replies, but simply put, imho:

If you play out of state you are not very concerned for repping your state, so I would not address the issue with fans on the Internet...it is not like he is going to crank a 40 yard run and then he is going to jump up and scream jersey power...that would be dumb

I want Rutgers getting the best students and athletes the state has to offer. Kareem falls into one of those categories. He wants to play for Ohio though, which is fine of course, but it's most certainly not an action showing how he reps jersey.
Good luck kid, you're a great player, but JeRsey StRong you are not

Reactions: NickyNewark51
I didn't realize that each individual is limited to representing only one association in their life. I guess now wherever I go I need to decide whether I am representing my birthplace, where I grew up, where I currently live, for whom I work for, my highschool, my college, my employer, my neighborhood, my city, my state, my country, or my family.

Because for many on this thread, you can only be a representative for one thing at a time.

Reactions: money3189
I've got no problem with a kid committing to play at Ohio State, just don't proclaim to be representing Jersey because you are not. If he wants to show what Jersey football is all about, he can play football on a team that is made up of mostly Jersey players. Then people will really see what Jersey football is all about. He chose to play somewhere else and that's fine. I just see it as disingenuous to claim his Jersey roots after he has committed to a school in Ohio. He has every right to play out of state and I have every right to be offended by his desire to leave for greener pastures.

Can you be mad though if you turn your back on NJ and NJ turns its back on you too? Especially now that the state university competes against the University in which you commit to? We're not in the Big East anymore. There's going to be a different reaction now that we play in a real Power conference. We aren't a part of the sinking ship conference any longer. If he succeeds at Ohio St then good for him, wish him the best and I would never really wish ill will on anybody. But I'm not going to be rooting as a Rutgers fan if the announcers or broadcast states he's from NJ. He's just an Ohio St player at this point. Wish him the best, but he's not representing NJ. Trey Sneed is representing NJ more than he is at this point.

Perhaps it's because I've been following this stuff for such a long time that it doesn't really bother me that such a top-notch recruit from New Jersey chose to play for one of the powers in college football instead of his state university. But I do agree that it's awful funny that he thinks he's "representing" New Jersey by running around in a uniform with "Ohio" on it.
Of course, almost as humorous is the Pedd St. and OSU fans coming here and attacking Rutgers fans for being so upset that he chose to go out of state. I've visited many schools' boards and it almost never fails that fans there are always disappointed when a kid decides to leave the state and play for another school....particularly when it's a conference rival.

Somebody said a while back they wouldn't be back after their 50th post.

What happened with that?

Who cares about this kid. If he wants to play for Ohio State well fine. It's better he stay away from RU because we haven't had any success with NJ RBs. We have a RB in Snead who is a flat out beast. Forget that kid. Let him go put on for Ohio and stop feeding his ego. Let him share the ball with four other running backs and four other receivers on jet sweeps and read option and slants and QB sweeps and QB dives and.....wait I'm ysorry, will he ever get the ball?

Reactions: RUMountie
Kareem Walker can be the star of Ohio, win a Heisman for Ohio, win another championship for Ohio, but at the end of the day, it's still Ohio.

Reactions: RM60
Of course he's overrated. Every fan base has those who want a particular player until they commit elsewhere. Then they become overrated or have some other issue that justifies why you didn't want him in the first place.

Of course he's overrated. Every fan base has those who want a particular player until they commit elsewhere. Then they become overrated or have some other issue that justifies why you didn't want him in the first place.
We didn't offer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:[roll]

Disagree (overrated) and if you saw him play live you would change your mind. He has Moreno type skill

If he has Moreno type skill, why didn't he break 100 yds when facing Bergen Catholic, St Joes, Paramus Catholic? He did have a 100 yard game against Don Bosco and had monster games against other overmatched private and public schools.

There is a chance he can be something special in college, but we shouldn't be crying over someone with potential. History dictates that he likely won't live up to his ranking. The north jersey Parochials generally don't produce productive Div I running backs, though they've had a number who were highly ranked. Ryan Grant was the most successful, and he broke 1000 yards once for Notre Dame, before becoming an undrafted free agent and later enjoyed a nice stay with the packers.

Funny no one has noticed or mentioned that JG retweeted it, figure i would give this thread another 2 pages of material.

Somebody said a while back they wouldn't be back after their 50th post.

What happened with that?
Perhaps that was me. But what level of maturity do you possess that you would even count people's posts? What does it matter to you if someone posts one time or a thousand?

He represents his family and friends but not the state of NJ. I live in NJ and he doesn't represent me. So he represents PSU and any family and friends that may live in NJ but not NJ.
. Yes, he represents PSU no doubt but he is a resident of NJ. His permanent residence is in NJ and when he is asked WHERE he is from, he says NJ. Not sure why that is so hard for many of you to comprehend. He reps PSU as a student-athlete but reps NJ as a resident.

For the poster that said my son is in the same position as Kareem, what makes you think that is the case? Totally different situation, but my opinion remains the same.

. Yes, he represents PSU no doubt but he is a resident of NJ. His permanent residence is in NJ and when he is asked WHERE he is from, he says NJ. Not sure why that is so hard for many of you to comprehend. He reps PSU as a student-athlete but reps NJ as a resident.

For the poster that said my son is in the same position as Kareem, what makes you think that is the case? Totally different situation, but my opinion remains the same.

No one cares that he is a resident.
We have 8 million of them.
It is only as an athlete that we care who/what he represents.
If you are from New Jersey and go to an out of state flagship university you do not represent New Jersey.

Wow, you can't be this dense. Must be all that culty cool aids. Read the below slowly.

Kareem Walker = NJ resident playing sports for an out of state college.
Your Kid = NJ resident playing sports for an out of state college.

They do not rep NJ. They reps themselves, their family and their out of state college. Christ, just read the uniform - THAT is who they play for. Here's something that may make you wet yourself - it's the same for ALL players on ALL teams for ALL sports ALL around the world.

Of course your biased and emotional opinion remains the same. And, you would be wrong. But really, why the hell do you even care? No one is attacking you or your kid. Go have drink and relax.

Perhaps it's because I've been following this stuff for such a long time that it doesn't really bother me that such a top-notch recruit from New Jersey chose to play for one of the powers in college football instead of his state university. But I do agree that it's awful funny that he thinks he's "representing" New Jersey by running around in a uniform with "Ohio" on it.
Of course, almost as humorous is the Pedd St. and OSU fans coming here and attacking Rutgers fans for being so upset that he chose to go out of state. I've visited many schools' boards and it almost never fails that fans there are always disappointed when a kid decides to leave the state and play for another school....particularly when it's a conference rival.

Of course there are fans at other schools that would behave similarly. I usually state on such threads that it is the same at every school's fan base. That doesn't change what I think as an individual. I will say that unless that player goes to Michigan, it's not nearly as venomous if an Ohio kid goes elsewhere, even a top kid. Much of that is due to the fortune that one or two players rarely make or break a Buckeye class.

Reps NJ as someone who resides in NJ, but does not represent NJ as a FB player.
He lost that right when he left NJ to play his college football in another state.
You wouldn't say a Pennsylvania State trooper who resides in NJ represents the Garden State when he's pulling speeders over .
The same goes for anyone from out of state on Penn State's roster or any State University's roster.
Just because a player wants to say he reps the state he's from, doesn't make it true when he leaves to play for another State's U.

ADVERTISEMENT