ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Marquez Moving To Linebacker

Marquez has played well on special teams making tackles.

He's a preferred walk-on from South Jersey near Atlantic City.

I think he has the physicality and motor to get on the field to make plays and help the defense.

I think this is more of an indication that we will deemphasize the FB position in this years offense. I am not a coach but how many fullbacks do we have on the roster. I thought he would be a perfect fit in that position but now this move to defense. I know we are thin at LB but with Lewis and Johnson coming in I thought we would be fine at ILB.

Kid definitely has a motor on him saw him make one hit on specials that really caught my eye. Then for the rest of the season I keyed on him to see what he would do. He looked to have good hitting ability(didn't hesitate at point of contact) and hustle. That's why I thought he would make a good FB. However, I don't think the coaches really care about my opinion or at least they haven't ask me yet. I'll trust their judgment.

Reactions: RickB113
I think this is more of an indication that we will deemphasize the FB position in this years offense. I am not a coach but how many fullbacks do we have on the roster. I thought he would be a perfect fit in that position but now this move to defense. I know we are thin at LB but with Lewis and Johnson coming in I thought we would be fine at ILB.

I don't think it means that we are deemphasizing the FB position, but why waste his talents there when he is the number three FB. He is a darn good Special Teams player let's see what he can do on defense or else let him waste away at FB. The two kids ahead of go are obviously doing better. It's going to show us that kids get better, but other kids step their games up as well.....

don't know anything about this young man. But being able to make a hit and being able to read and react on the D side is a completely different thing. Good Luck to him and us here.
i think with his build and affinity for speciall teams hits he'll be fine at MLB...both require read and react on the move.Translates well as the coachs' seem to agree.

The transition from FB to MLB is probably the easiest of the moves from Offense to Defense. Similar skill set. Both are close to the line of scrimmage, both are a seek and destroy, both need a physical, strong, reactionary, but smart player. And, for his size he is also fast. This kid also loves the contact, it's in his DNA. I always thought he was being overlooked on the Offensive side. Yet, this move makes sense. Wish it happened two years ago.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
I think the listed starter is Isaih Johnson , w Kaiwan Lewis close behind. Both have a lot of experience.

i think with his build and affinity for speciall teams hits he'll be fine at MLB...both require read and react on the move.Translates well as the coachs' seem to agree.
I know what you are saying/mean...I just think there is a bit of a difference doing it in the open field vs. having 300lb Linemen scemed to take you out vs. guys coming at you from 10 yards away. Anywho thems the guys making those calls so goig to trust them on it..

Flood & staff have brought in some promising preferred walk-ons at fullback.

Montclair High School's Shaquan Oliver is a name to remember, maybe not this season but in the 2016 season.
The kid can block and is shifty running the ball.

Kid definitely has a motor on him saw him make one hit on specials that really caught my eye. Then for the rest of the season I keyed on him to see what he would do. He looked to have good hitting ability(didn't hesitate at point of contact) and hustle. That's why I thought he would make a good FB. However, I don't think the coaches really care about my opinion or at least they haven't ask me yet. I'll trust their judgment.
Yes!! I know what hit you are talking about. i don't remember who it was against, but I remember him having a hit that was one of the best tackles I had seen in awhile. Best of luck to him

ADVERTISEMENT