ADVERTISEMENT

Key Food Market to Replace FreshGrocer in September

Once again, you can sell every Goya product on the market and stock fermented octopus balls, there is no margin in those items. Repeat after me.

THERE. IS. NO. MARGIN. IN. THOSE. ITEMS.

If they price them in a way that they create margin, people will go down the street to their ethnic groceries and get them there.

It's a losing strategy straight from the get go.

Key Foods has a solid history inside the 5 Boroughs. But their NJ strategies, generally speaking, are not well thought.

Asians flock and I mean flock to H-Mart in Edison. That goes for students who live in Piscataway, New Brunswick, Franklin, etc.

Students probably have zero clue there is a grocery store downtown and will go to Stop and Shop in Somerset or Walmart/Shoprite in Piscataway.

There is also a latino grocery store on the corner of French and Suydam Street.

I'd like to give this place a try but it doesn't sounds that promising from reading these comments.

Reactions: ruhudsonfan
Asians flock and I mean flock to H-Mart in Edison. That goes for students who live in Piscataway, New Brunswick, Franklin, etc.

Students probably have zero clue there is a grocery store downtown and will go to Stop and Shop in Somerset or Walmart/Shoprite in Piscataway.

I'd like to give this place a try but it doesn't sounds that promising from reading these comments.

And I'm not saying that a heavy focus on prepared foods will work there. But it is the only chance they have. They're not going to out Asian the Asian market. They're never going to out Latin the the Latino market. And they'll never compete on price with them--as they are likely not paying payroll taxes, UEI insurance, overtime, benefits, etc.

The A & P on Milltown Road in North Brunswick is VERY popular with Rutgers students.

Hmart usually has good deals of produce and fish. I shop there for both. Also amazing variety.

And at the end of it - we come back to the main point - unless the city offers some major tax credits, NB isnt rich enough to support a non-poor people support market.

Reactions: RUskoolie
When to Key Foods last night and really liked it. Great produce section and on the whole they really seemed affordable. Also, I don't know if it's me but seemed bigger than Fresh Grocer somehow - maybe they just used their space more effectively?

Reactions: Cofifa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT