ADVERTISEMENT

Kim Mulkey

Seems like the writer has an axe to grind bring thing that hacmve zero to with this game. Writer seems more upset with her than a 6ft 7 thug

What was wrong with Mulkeys comments about the player and officiating

Seems like the writer has an axe to grind bring thing that hacmve zero to with this game. Writer seems more upset with her than a 6ft 7 thug

What was wrong with Mulkeys comments about the player and officiating
Mulkey didn't mention LSU’s Flau’jae Johnson after intentionally fouling South Carolina's MiLaysia Fulwiley who had stolen the ball from her then shoved South Carolina's Ashlyn Watkins who said some words about the way Johnson fouled Fulwiley.
What South Carolina's Cardoso did wasn't right, but was a heat of the moment defense of teammates who were also victims in this mess .
Both LSU's Johnson and SC's Cardoso proved to be better then thir actions by apoligizing for their behaivior
Dawn Stanly took the high road when discussing the incident, Mulkey didn't.

Neither team had thugs, just players losing self control in the heat of the moment

Mulkey didn't mention LSU’s Flau’jae Johnson after intentionally fouling South Carolina's MiLaysia Fulwiley who had stolen the ball from her then shoved South Carolina's Ashlyn Watkins who said some words about the way Johnson fouled Fulwiley.
What South Carolina's Cardoso did wasn't right, but was a heat of the moment defense of teammates who were also victims in this mess .
Both LSU's Johnson and SC's Cardoso proved to be better then thir actions by apoligizing for their behaivior

Neither team had thugs, just players losing self control in the heat of the moment
Pick on people your own size

This is a mind game that Kim Mulkey is playing here.

SCar and Dawn Staley are THE top program in WCBB right now. Kim wants to dethrone them and she is playing mind games with her players to hype them and also trying to get an added advantage of getting SCar players off of their games and distracted with foolishness.

Geno tried it when he realized that his team was no longer THE top dog. He also tried to misrepresent SCar as a bunch of thugs who were not playing basketball. That was the biggest bunch of BS I ever heard. Never liked Geno because he was our longtime rival in Big East days, but I always respected him as the leader of a program. I lost a lot of that respect when he tried that stunt with SCar. to get calls in his favor.

Kim is now doing the same thing but at an even more classless level by choosing not to be the adult in the room and choosing not to groom her players to be young adults. We saw it last year after the Championship game with Angel and Alexis Morris going way too far with their behavior. Don't get me wrong, I had no problem with Angel calling out Caitlin on the hand gesture. I just felt like they, Angel and Alexis, persisted to the point of being unsportsmanlike themselves.

People continue to try to attack Dawn's success at SCar with mischaracterization of her and her players. The fact that she has built the program in the classiest of fashion, doing everything the right way, saying all the right things at press conferences, ..... .just goes to show there are some haters out there that want to call her players derogatory names and criticize her for no reason.

Agree 100%.

Kim was right about one thing....... The refs allowed the tensions to build to the boil over point. Kim had her team open the game with an attitude like they were here to punk SCar. Angel Reese, leading the charge with her physical bumping and trash talking directed at Cardoso. It should have been checked early by the refs. They let Cardoso get harrassed all game. Excessive bumping, hair-pulling, etc.

NOW, ............... As far as Kim's comments trying to make Cardoso out to be the bully, after they tried to bully her all game long, ....... pure BS that she herself doesn't really believe.

Let me ask,...... Was Angel Reese away from the court or something when this all went down???? Was she in the locker room or something???

Cardoso defended her teammate, who was SHOVED (by a player that was allowed to stay in the game, penalty-free ????? --that's a whole separate topic). Cardoso has an easy-going demeanor that I feel like LSU thought was easy prey to try to punk. Believe me,..... she shoved that girl with Angel Reese present in the situation. Carodoso never ran away from the spot, or from anyone on the court.

Let me remind you, LSU had extra motivation last year when facing Iowa to get some get back for their SCar sisters for the disrespect Caitlin showed to the SCar guard, Raven J. Angel talked about it either before or after the final.

Shame on Kim for trying to pit young ladies, who have shown respect and love for each other over their collegiate careers, against each other in this immature, unsportsmanlike manner.

These are the reasons why I would not recommend her program for any player. It's about more than just coaching ability.... Character and values are even more important.

Mulkey made a statement
I can tell you this I wish she would have pushed Angel Reese.

I think that proves Kim have very little class and refused to admit Angel
might not have acted in the way Mulkey would want
Reese might showboat and trash talk during games, but ins't the thug type
that Kim feels her players need to be

Angel's own words put Kim Mulkey to shame and prove the LSU WBB HC is classless

Angel Reese

@Reese10Angel

As a person at my STATUS, sometimes you have to walk away from certain situations. Mind you the play before that I had rolled my ankle AGAIN and was already walking to the bench. I ALWAYS ride for mine. I’m super proud of this team & super excited for march. #geauxtigers
💜
💛

Mulkey made a statement
I can tell you this I wish she would have pushed Angel Reese.

I think that proves Kim have very little class and refused to admit Angel
might not have acted in the way Mulkey would want
Reese might showboat and trash talk during games, but ins't the thug type
that Kim feels her players need to be

Angel's own words put Kim Mulkey to shame and prove the LSU WBB HC is classless

Angel Reese
@Reese10Angel

As a person at my STATUS, sometimes you have to walk away from certain situations. Mind you the play before that I had rolled my ankle AGAIN and was already walking to the bench. I ALWAYS ride for mine. I’m super proud of this team & super excited for march. #geauxtigers
💜
💛

That's the worst part of what Kim's statement did.

It put Angel (one of her players) on the defensive in the aftermath. Now, she has to explain why she wasn't there for her teammates. She has to deal with the notion that she was either selfish or scared to confront Cardoso.

A coach is tasked with doing the opposite of what Kim did. She is only stoking violence for future meetings of the two teams.

I just hope that the players on both teams are smart enough to rise above the maturity level of the LSU coach and enjoy a healthy competition where the battles are considered epic because of the level of basketball greatness.

The players need to remember, ......scenes like that skirmish are ones that could easily derail the progress that the women's game is enjoying right now. That point REALLY needs to get home with them, and Kim Mulkey.

This is a mind game that Kim Mulkey is playing here.

SCar and Dawn Staley are THE top program in WCBB right now. Kim wants to dethrone them and she is playing mind games with her players to hype them and also trying to get an added advantage of getting SCar players off of their games and distracted with foolishness.

Geno tried it when he realized that his team was no longer THE top dog. He also tried to misrepresent SCar as a bunch of thugs who were not playing basketball. That was the biggest bunch of BS I ever heard. Never liked Geno because he was our longtime rival in Big East days, but I always respected him as the leader of a program. I lost a lot of that respect when he tried that stunt with SCar. to get calls in his favor.

Kim is now doing the same thing but at an even more classless level by choosing not to be the adult in the room and choosing not to groom her players to be young adults. We saw it last year after the Championship game with Angel and Alexis Morris going way too far with their behavior. Don't get me wrong, I had no problem with Angel calling out Caitlin on the hand gesture. I just felt like they, Angel and Alexis, persisted to the point of being unsportsmanlike themselves.

People continue to try to attack Dawn's success at SCar with mischaracterization of her and her players. The fact that she has built the program in the classiest of fashion, doing everything the right way, saying all the right things at press conferences, ..... .just goes to show there are some haters out there that want to call her players derogatory names and criticize her for no reason.

What she’s doing is great. Think it’s good for the expansion of the game having a bunch of top flight schools, rather than just UConn year in and out, hope we get (back) up there soon.

Didn’t know that about Geno - had always assumed he put the women’s game ahead of his own glory. FFS, it’s not like anyone doesn’t recognize him as one of the greatest coaches.

Mulkey has done wonders for the game. She is playing the part of the villain very well and every good drama needs a great villian.

Reactions: bac2therac
Mulkey has done wonders for the game. She is playing the part of the villain very well and every good drama needs a great villian.
Yes, she knows how to get the attention and proving winning means more than being a role model for her players and College WBB..
Being great at what you do is the only thing that counts and winning makes up for all of your faults, including being a terrible person.

I didn’t find one thing wrong with what she said. Reporter really has an axe to grind. Refs obviously lost control of the game, they for sure should be reprimanded.

Kim Mulkey has never been a shrinking violet. She is very aggressive in everything she does. Even her clothing style is aggressive. But she’s a winner baby. That trumps everything, as she is able to attract the best players.

Kim Mulkey has never been a shrinking violet. She is very aggressive in everything she does. Even her clothing style is aggressive. But she’s a winner baby. That trumps everything, as she is able to attract the best players.
That is what counts, winning, everything else is thrown out with the dishwater.
Kim isn't the only HC who has detractors that dislike her actions / comments and include sense of fashion.
But for every detractor you'll find the same number ( or more) that support a winning HC, no matter how they are perceived as a person, because in the world of sports it's wins that count the most.

Now I'm confused.

What she’s doing is great. Think it’s good for the expansion of the game having a bunch of top flight schools, rather than just UConn year in and out, hope we get (back) up there soon
Not sure who you're saying is great, Mulkey or Staley.
Considering the opposing team the enemy is not enough for fans when it comes to game hype/build-up?? Do we really need a coach or player to intentionally look to play the villain role, to be able to enjoy good basketbal with already marquis players and coaches??
That is what counts, winning, everything else is thrown out with the dishwater.
Please!! Tell me this is NOT how YOU feel but just how you see today's societal view in sports, in general.

I salute her for her coaching ability. No problem at all with clothing style. To each his own. I just think she tarnishes her greatness by being over-the-top when it comes to ethics. It's as if she wants to take a stand that will be controversial. It's like she is seeking to create drama.

It takes away from her winning ways. She could definitely win without all the nonsense.

I think today's best will continue to prefer Staley first over Mulkey's LSU because of the high character Staley shows toward grooming her young ladies for more than just basketball, but life after it. Yes, in the CVS, Pat Summit mold. Mulkey got some of her top transfers/recruits because there simply was no more room at S Carolina.

RUcrazy
"That is what counts, winning, everything else is thrown out with the dishwater."
Is how I feel coaches are held accountable for their actions
The more a HC wins the more that coach can get away with.
It's been that way forever, but the bar has been set lower and lower over the years.
Before coaches tried to act like they were being roll models to their players, even if they weren't.
Now coaches are proving that they only teach the players on their team winning counts more than anything and play that way.
Openly showboating and trying to upset the opposition is done in front of the crowd trying to draw applause, where before it was done on the sly so people thought the coach and the team was showing good sportsmanship going for the win
Win and taunt is the name of game today with the look at me strut like a peacock attitude instead of look at the way I use my talent to the max.

One last word on the skirmish.

If I'm Angel Reese, or Angel's Mom, I'm having a serious talk with Kim about her statement that wished for Cardoso to push Reese instead. Angel's mom is outspoken about everything else regarding Angel's career.

First of all, I wouldn't appreciate being characterized by my coach as her "goon". Secondly, she has surely put a target on Angel's back for any opposing player who wants to make a name as being the toughest.

It's like back at the school yard, .... whenever some actual or perceived tough newcomer came on the scene, people always instigated to see a showdown with whoever was considered to be the current "duke of the school".

Kim just declared Angel the duke of the court.

I know I'm dating myself with that phrase, but I'm hoping you guys on here are familiar with it.

For a student-athlete who has openly let the public know that she recently has been struggling with her new found fame along with the normal stresses of being a student-athlete(hence, her early season suspension from the team), Kim is not doing her any favors now. If you listened to Angel's comments at that same postgame presser, she is following the tone of her coach in some intense stance of not being scared of S Carolina. Explains why she was the spearhead of an excessively physical(in my opinion, dirty) approach to Cardoso and S Car.

Elite teams and their coaches usually focus on the x and o strategies of the game over trying to muck things up by making it into a street fight.

Again, hopefully, her players will wise up and rise above their coach in terms of winning and losing with character and class. No doubt, Dawn's players have learned the lessons from this incident.

RUcrazy
"That is what counts, winning, everything else is thrown out with the dishwater."
Is how I feel coaches are held accountable for their actions
The more a HC wins the more that coach can get away with.
It's been that way forever, but the bar has been set lower and lower over the years.
Before coaches tried to act like they were being roll models to their players, even if they weren't.
Now coaches are proving that they only teach the players on their team winning counts more than anything and play that way.
Openly showboating and trying to upset the opposition is done in front of the crowd trying to draw applause, where before it was done on the sly so people thought the coach and the team was showing good sportsmanship going for the win
Win and taunt is the name of game today with the look at me strut like a peacock attitude instead of look at the way I use my talent to the max.
I just wondered if this is acceptable to you. Are you OK with it. If you were an AD or University president, would you go for a coach like that or would you hold a higher standard?....... even if it meant you didn't win all the time.

Dawn, along with so many other WINNING coaches, are not what you describe above. Tara Vandeveer has never been that. I would venture to say that more coaches do it the right way than those who have no problem taking the low road.

I just wondered if this is acceptable to you. Are you OK with it. If you were an AD or University president, would you go for a coach like that or would you hold a higher standard?....... even if it meant you didn't win all the time.

Dawn, along with so many other WINNING coaches, are not what you describe above. Tara Vandeveer has never been that. I would venture to say that more coaches do it the right way than those who have no problem taking the low road.
I don't go along with winning at all cost.
Just accept it's the norm today and the new breed of fan don't care while oldtimers understand that's the way it is now and go along without complaint as long as the wins come
I don't think Rutgers has to hire someone like that and hope they don't .
There are many good coaches that can win and win with class RU should be able to hire if Coquese doesn't work out and if she does, class already onboard

Now I'm confused.

Not sure who you're saying is great, Mulkey or Staley.

Considering the opposing team the enemy is not enough for fans when it comes to game hype/build-up?? Do we really need a coach or player to intentionally look to play the villain role, to be able to enjoy good basketbal with already marquis players and coaches??

Please!! Tell me this is NOT how YOU feel but just how you see today's societal view in sports, in general.

Sorry - Dawn Staley is great.

Reactions: RUcrazee
Also true. Winning cures everything.

Kim just threatened the Washington Post
>Mulkey said the reporter had been working on the story for two years, with requests for a sit-down interview. She took particular issue while claiming the reporter had sent a list of a dozen questions to LSU on Tuesday with a request for a response Thursday, ahead of the Tigers' NCAA tournament opener against Rice:<
article has in it: "It's unclear why the reporter would be trying to silence Mulkey after two years of attempting to interview her."
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kim-mu...irade-over-unpublished-article-213622543.html

Wow.

Lots of hate being poured by TKR posters onto successful coaches recently. Started with Harbaugh, coach of the reigning national champion Michigan football team, who had his team so well prepared they won the trophy despite Harbaugh missing half the team's games.

Danny Hurley continues to attract TKR haters jealous of Danny's status as coach of the defending national champion men's basketball team, UConn. Cam's transfer there - and TKR posters' laughably inept predictions GG would replace Cam's production - have added hate for a guy who used to coach at Rutgers.

Now, the haters are turning their attention to Kim, who has led her women's basketball teams to four national championships. This winning follows Kim's service to her country, USA, as a member of the 1984 Olympic gold medal champion women's basketball team.

Kim's a great coach, it's the type person she is that isn't well liked.
Losers get bashed for losing, winners like Mulkey just have the way that act towards others criticized, not because they win.
Win with class went out the window a long time ago.
I actually like the way Kim uses fashion to piss her detractors off, but not the way she
acts like her players are above reproach and the way she turned her back on one of her biggest stars when most were worried about that players safety.

Kudos to her coaching , as a person not going to cheer.
But for some , if you're a top HC,that's all that counts.

Let’s see what comes out in the post. She had two years to respond. This is gonna be good

Msm behavior has generally been unprofessional so im team Kim
It will be very interesting if and when an article comes out.

I'm on neither team, since I largely like Kim but also read the article about Brian Kelly she was complaining about, written by a very respected writer. I could see why she might not have liked it, per se, but it wasn't really a hit job on LSU. It was the contrast between the poor folks in the community, the low salaries of many LSU employees, and the high salary given to the then new football coach. His daily salary was within $200 of the average annual salary in the local area. The article never claimed that his salary was out of range for football coaches.

I want to stress it didn't criticize Kelly, and criticism of LSU that was offered were quotes from the person the article focused on, a local man pursuing a Masters at LSU and working in a staff position for them, not gratuitous shots by the writer.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT