ADVERTISEMENT

Laney Named All-American Honorable Mention

Douglass72

Junior
Dec 7, 2006
Senior Betnijah Laney has been named an Honorable Mention All-American. What a well-deserved honor to an outstanding player and wonderful young woman. Someone will play her position next year, but no one will take her place. Congratulations, Betnijah!

http://wivb.com/ap/2014-15-ap-womens-all-america-teams/

sign0098.r191677.gif

Betnijah gave RU credibility in our inaugural B10 season. Kudos and thankfully CVS had a history with her family. For CVS to win that coveted National crown before she retires, we need a couple of players on the list of 50 young women who made this list. So, do we have the right staff to get the recruiting job done. Should Carlene Mitchell resume that job?

Very proud of Betnijah. She is a wonderful young lady and very deserving of this honor.

What a beautiful honor for one of my favorite players. She gave her heart and soul on the floor every night. I wish her all the best in her future endeavors.

It sounds like I am the only one here who thinks that she got screwed. In my opinion she should have been 3rd team at least.

Originally posted by RUgrad:
It sounds like I am the only one here who thinks that she got screwed. In my opinion she should have been 3rd team at least.
I had no expectations. It's very hard to get onto these teams if you weren't on the radar before, and she wasn't. And if I understand the process right, she's not going to be on the WBCA team or an honorable mention because she didn't make the regional list. (In the past, the WBCA AAs have been chosen from the players on the regional lists, and anyone on the regional list who didn't get on the team received an honorable mention.)

"I had no expectations" says BeK. Spoken like a true RU grad who learned about learned helplessness in Psych 101.

I'm just a realist. What gets you on these teams is scoring. Rebounding and defense are secondary at best (unless you're Courtney Paris with a career-long double-double streak). Let me put it this way: Essence never made an All America team, even though everyone in the country knew she was the key player on the 2007 and 2008 teams and she was an early first-round WNBA draft choice.

Congratulations to Betnijah! My scarlet-tinted glasses also thought that she deserved at least 3rd team, but I agree with BeK about how these things work. What a fine young lady to represent Rutgers University - now and in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT