ADVERTISEMENT

Last 10 seconds/Pikell/Mulcahy Horrific

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
Just rewatched the last 10 seconds; First Mulcahy who I think almost single handedly lost this game not just in the last minute fifteen but the whole just absolutely is standing there watching the Garcia miss and his man goes right past him for the put back to make it a one point game
Caleb gets fouled of course we know he misses the first free throw; Makes the second; Pikells first horrific coaching move how in gods name does he not call a time out!!! We had an effin timeout
OK he doesn't call the time out but he stands there and watches the guys watch the ball roll up the court(OMG I was already screaming at the TV) and worst worst of all we were not even playing a man to man we were actually playing a zone how in the eff was Caleb not on Battle
I didn't hear his post game and personally I can't listen to any of his BS postgames where he keeps saying this is on me but this was just the worst coaching job I have ever seen end game

Don't get me wrong I love what he has done for this team his recruits coming in but you cannot coach like this; you just can't

it was bad for sure. I know people say it would have given them a timeout but you have to make sure your defense is set up. With that little time it’s actually easier to score in a scramble situation without a timeout than it is vs a set d with a timeout. If he’s had called timeout he would have set up some pressure for sure and matched up caleb with their shooter. Just baffling and he put way too much faith in his players who screwed it up big time

The three biggest, most inexplicable errors didn't involve Paul, though, IMO. They were:

1. Hyatt not taking the ball with 20 seconds left and way behind 4 MN players into the frontcourt and either getting a bucket (with Cliff on a 2 on 1) or getting fouled or better yet, wasting time and getting a pass to a better FT shooter - far harder to come back from 4-5 down (assuming we make at least 1 FT) and maybe 15 seconds
  2. Pikiell not calling TO after Caleb's made 2nd FT with 5.8 seconds left. How does he not use his TO there (or why didn't Paul when he was trapped?)?
  3. Pike not pressuring the in-bounds after the FT - which obviously would've been easier to set up after a friggin' TO!
Yes, Paul effed up with the TO off his arm (he allowed the defender to get to the ball), the failure to box out near the end and, of course, that horrible pass, but those were execution errors, not absolute freakin' brain farts, like the three above. And I love Pike, too, but he just blew this one.

I give Pike a pass on the TO. Terrible team against an experienced good defense. They should know what to do and he didn't want to give the offense time to draw up a play

Players choked all over the court

Pike didn't tell Cam and Caleb to miss FTs. Pike didn't tell Paul to give up two TOs. Pike didn't tell Hyatt to break the press then unbreak it. Pike didn't tell Cam help off the guy hitting 3's to give up a game winner

Just rewatched the last 10 seconds; First Mulcahy who I think almost single handedly lost this game not just in the last minute fifteen but the whole just absolutely is standing there watching the Garcia miss and his man goes right past him for the put back to make it a one point game
Caleb gets fouled of course we know he misses the first free throw; Makes the second; Pikells first horrific coaching move how in gods name does he not call a time out!!! We had an effin timeout
OK he doesn't call the time out but he stands there and watches the guys watch the ball roll up the court(OMG I was already screaming at the TV) and worst worst of all we were not even playing a man to man we were actually playing a zone how in the eff was Caleb not on Battle
I didn't hear his post game and personally I can't listen to any of his BS postgames where he keeps saying this is on me but this was just the worst coaching job I have ever seen end game

Don't get me wrong I love what he has done for this team his recruits coming in but you cannot coach like this; you just can't
Let me ask a question. If Pike called a TO and Minnesota executed a Laetner vs. Kentucky play to win it, would you be asking why Pike called a TO to allow Minnesota to set up a play?

It's less likely Minnesota would have executed a Laetner after a Time out. He should've called one so that proper defense could be called on the hot three point shooters.

Last edited:
You can’t predict a frenetic panic by individuals doing things they weren’t coached and are obvious wrong. It happens. You prepare as best you can but humans being humans you will have breakdowns from time to time. Learn from it and move on. Fans are seeking answers I get it but some things can’t be explained. This ending is one of them.

Shrewsberry said Pike him out -coached him.

Pike should say he out-coached himself

Mo

I give Pike a pass on the TO. Terrible team against an experienced good defense. They should know what to do and he didn't want to give the offense time to draw up a play

Players choked all over the court

Pike didn't tell Cam and Caleb to miss FTs. Pike didn't tell Paul to give up two TOs. Pike didn't tell Hyatt to break the press then unbreak it. Pike didn't tell Cam help off the guy hitting 3's to give up a game winner
Pike didn't call time out to set up a defense, as a result they rolled the ball all the way to half court without talking any time off the clock.

Reactions: mugrat86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT