ADVERTISEMENT

Latest salvo in Facilities arms race

srru86

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Minneapolis Star Tribune
U to break ground on athletic village in August
The school has raised $70 million of its $150 million goal, with more gains expected soon.

Btw: Must be nice to be at a place where they can just put "U" in the headline and everybody knows you are talking about the flagship state university.

Well, keep in mind we're the only state without a "U" in the sense we're talking about.

And no a lot of people would have no idea what you meant if you "threw up an R" -- too many people still either don't care or are actively anti-Rutgers.

FYI the U is a private university not a state school but I get your point.
This U is public and part of the University of Minnesota system. In Minnesota it referred to as The U. Most people however think The U is University of Miami which I assume you are referring to because it is private.

FYI the U is a private university not a state school but I get your point.
I think you are talking about "Da U" the third most popular College football team in Miami.
We're talking folks in middle america referring to their State University in a familiar, maybe possesive manner, even if their only connection is living in the State.

Minneapolis Star Tribune
U to break ground on athletic village in August
The school has raised $70 million of its $150 million goal, with more gains expected soon.

Btw: Must be nice to be at a place where they can just put "U" in the headline and everybody knows you are talking about the flagship state university.
At some point, you have to wonder - are the billions that the nation's universities cumulatively spend on football and basketball facilities really worth it, particularly considering its a zero sum game.

We have some major problems with priorities.

At some point, you have to wonder - are the billions that the nation's universities cumulatively spend on football and basketball facilities really worth it, particularly considering its a zero sum game.

Yes...as most of these projects (athletic villages/dorms/facilities, etc...) are expected to last 70-100 plus years (or more, renovated overtime), so the initial cost is almost peanuts to the expected revenue that will be brought in over the next Century...let alone "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality that is now just an expected cost of doing business today and tomorrow.

Even though Univ of Minnesota already receives a full share of Big Ten TV revenue now and how the conf expects to earn approx $44 Million plus per team in 2017-2018 in TV revenue....Gophers are still funding this $150 Million project mostly by private funds/donations...as they expect to raise $120 Million and would only need to fund 20% of the project.

That's pretty amazing that they could get so much in private funds...let alone the need to go after private funds when they get so much TV $$$ today and will get so much more in TV $$$ in 2017.

I also assume that at Minnesota total sports spending is a tiny fraction of overall budget as it is here. Spending on football and hoops is backed by ongoing revenues from fans and viewers. I assume the UM revenues are better than our overstated subsidy.

While the spending on non revenue sports facilities are something like a sunk cost.

Btw don't ever try to cost justify the expense of maintaining a tenure track faculty position. Not a pretty picture.

If you believe competive sports have no place in the university that's fine. But if you are to apply a cost benefit analysis you have to be consistent. Otherwise the only tenured professors would either have to teach a bunch of large classes or generate a bunch of research dollars. I'm not advocating that but let's not apply that standard to sports necessarily either.

I also assume that at Minnesota total sports spending is a tiny fraction of overall budget as it is here. Spending on football and hoops is backed by ongoing revenues from fans and viewers. I assume the UM revenues are better than our overstated subsidy.

While the spending on non revenue sports facilities are something like a sunk cost.

Btw don't ever try to cost justify the expense of maintaining a tenure track faculty position. Not a pretty picture.

If you believe competitive sports have no place in the university that's fine. But if you are to apply a cost benefit analysis you have to be consistent. Otherwise the only tenured professors would either have to teach a bunch of large classes or generate a bunch of research dollars. I'm not advocating that but let's not apply that standard to sports necessarily either.
Well for one - I think it would be hard to make the case that all of this spending isnt a weird priority. The US is certainly the only nation where universities host professional level sports teams tat I know of. Competitive sports doesn't mean billions spent nationally on sports (in fact I would guess that its over a billion a year nationally on new and upgraded facilities.)

2. We are talking about universities - they obviously get alot more leeway to spend money on academics, even money losing academics. I mean if your local library funded a sports team, wouldnt you find that weird and wasteful, even if they were spending money on rare books that were barely ever borrowed out?

3. I am talking about the whole. If Minnesota improves, someone else gets worse, unless they too spend money to be better than Minnesota.

Knight-Light - facilities lasting 70-100 years? Maybe the bones of the facility. But Rutgers is already talking about needing to replace and expand the Bubble and the Hale Center - which are less than 40 years old.

I would also argue that nationally we are too obsessed with sports in general. We spend alot of public money to bring them to cities and expect them to do things which they should never erally be expected to do. And universities take that same train of thought.

And yes - I understand the irony given my post count.

Florida and Florida State. Not even close. Just watch the local news cast in Miami during FB season.

Florida State is in Tallahassee, Florida is in Gainesville. Neither school is remotely close to Miami.

Something else to remember with Minnesota that some may have forgotten.

The Vikings are currently a tenant for the next few years at their stadium and are paying them handsomely for it.
I am sure the influx of case from that is assisting in paying for this.

Watch Malcom Gladwell debate on college athletics. All your questions will be answered.

Florida and Florida State. Not even close. Just watch the local news cast in Miami during FB season.
I think he thought you mean't inside the Miami city area city limits their were 2 more popular schools than the "U"...they seem to have sunk as fast as the Titanic like BC did after leaving the OBE !?! I think Shalala wanted to take some of their previous FB swagger out of the "Canes" and looking at the empty seats at their home games it appears she succeeded. Under the circumstances Al Golden's continued to recruit well but it hasn't translated on the field. Lets see how it shakes out this yr !?!

I know Minneapolis-Saint Paul has a pretty large population,but how does the area support so many arenas and stadiums--Football stadium at UMinn,Hockey arena at UMinn,Basketball arena at UMinn, Wild arena in Saint Paul,minor league baseball stadium in Saint Paul,Twins stadium,Timberwolves arena, and new Vikings stadium.

And yet, Miami is still the third most popular team in Miami.
This geographic fixation is odd for a Nit fan. He needs to get beyond looking at a map. Its not like their fan base is all about Centre County. I'd never say Philly is a Temple town because its closer than State College. Pitt does a little better in their home ground but I'm sure there are legions of Nits about Steel City. This guy needs to get out a little bit and look around.

For a minority of programs, absolutely they are worth it. According to this, there's a handful of programs taking no subsidy. Now, fancy accounting and whatnot but I know at Ohio State the athletic department generates enough revenue to give back the general fund of the university. More programs could probably argue that raising the profile of the athletic program raises donations or applications or any number of things that benefits the university as a whole, but that's not nearly as cut and dry.
Well for one - I think it would be hard to make the case that all of this spending isnt a weird priority. The US is certainly the only nation where universities host professional level sports teams tat I know of. Competitive sports doesn't mean billions spent nationally on sports (in fact I would guess that its over a billion a year nationally on new and upgraded facilities.)

2. We are talking about universities - they obviously get alot more leeway to spend money on academics, even money losing academics. I mean if your local library funded a sports team, wouldnt you find that weird and wasteful, even if they were spending money on rare books that were barely ever borrowed out?

3. I am talking about the whole. If Minnesota improves, someone else gets worse, unless they too spend money to be better than Minnesota.

Knight-Light - facilities lasting 70-100 years? Maybe the bones of the facility. But Rutgers is already talking about needing to replace and expand the Bubble and the Hale Center - which are less than 40 years old.

I would also argue that nationally we are too obsessed with sports in general. We spend alot of public money to bring them to cities and expect them to do things which they should never erally be expected to do. And universities take that same train of thought.

And yes - I understand the irony given my post count.
As for priorities...we focus more on college athletics in this country. And yes, we can have our priorities amazingly out of whack. I wish more cities would tell sports teams to eat pavement when they come saying they need hundreds of millions of dollars for a new stadium.

But the obsession with sports isn't an American thing. And, what we get here is arguably better than what you see in other parts of the world.

EDIT to highlight links. They don't show up very well.

And yet, Miami is still the third most popular team in Miami.
I call it ACCitis..outside North Carolina and Va they really don't have a footprint because they bank on small privates and hoops over FB!! They would/could have bolstered their image with a WVU/RU/UConn add and hung onto Md but went for schools like BC/SU and Pitt!?! Pitt was probably the wisest if the grabbed WV too along with us and Uconn but i heard we told them it was the B1G or no thanks for us upsetting the smarter move. In most of their "footprint" their overshadowed by the SEC in the south and B1G in the midatlantic states!! That published so called footprint was bogus. Take away NC and/or UVa/VT the ACC becomes CUSA/BE2 held up by FSU!! I mean really...CNY and BC gives them the northeast over PSU/RU/MD ? Some smart conference "B1G" will lock the NE down by taking UConn and its "Katy bar the door" for an ACCN IMO. Like them or not its the last smart move in the NE. I think Delany is already looking for a Va/NC or Kansas/Mizzou western partner for UConn to close down CR for the next fifty years unless a ND/Texas or Oklahoma becomes available...Either the BiG12 or ACC then blend their best parts into 1 conference or disappear until 4 conferences are left standing. JMO!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT