ADVERTISEMENT

Legal considerations as it relates to timing

KingHigh

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 12, 2005
Since I have some experience with the Open Public Meetings Act in NJ (OPMA) and have litigating issues stemming from same, I want to share some information that you might consider useful in ruling out any imminent news of Schiano being (officially) hired and tempering expectations a bit related to timing.

For the sake of this post, I am accepting the notion that the Board of Governors (BOG) must take some official action before the new head coach can be hired. I did not find the source of that requirement, but it sounds kind of obvious, especially in light Schiano's demands for further facilities commitment, so let's roll with that assumption.

BOG Bylaws - Under the Bylaws, it must hold at least six regular meetings per year. Notice of those meetings must comply with the OPMA, under which "Adequate Notice" is required. For regular meetings, Adequate Notice is usually effectuated at the beginning of the year, during a so-called "reorganization meeting," during which a resolution of the regular meeting dates for the upcoming year is adopted. Then, notice of same must be: (1) prominently posted in at least one public place reserved for such announcements, (2) transmitted to two newspapers in time for publication 48-hours in advance of the meeting, (3) filed with appropriate Municipal or County Clerk or the Secretary of State if the public body has statewide authority, and (4) mailed to any person upon request.

The next regular meeting date is Tuesday, December 17, 2019.

Obviously BOG action will have to come sooner than that, if any of the reports are even remotely true.

The BOG Bylaws also provides for Special Meetings. Special meetings may be called either at the Chair's own discretion, or at the request of three voting members upon receipt of notice from them stating the purpose of the meeting. Of course, any special meeting must also be held upon Adequate Notice under the OPMA, which requires, among other things, notice be:

"mailed, telephoned, telegrammed, or hand delivered to at least two newspapers which newspapers shall be designated by the public body to receive such notices because they have the greatest likelihood of informing the public within the area of jurisdiction of the public body of such meetings, one of which shall be the official newspaper, where any such has been designated by the public body or if the public body has failed to so designate, where any has been designated by the governing body of the political subdivision whose geographic boundaries are coextensive with that of the public body."

Note: The above requirement DOES NOT mean that notice must be published in the newspaper, although many feel that it is proper to do so for the sake of exercising an abundance of caution. I have searched all public notices that have been published and there have been none concerning the Rutgers Board of Governors for the purpose of considering any athletics matters. Moreover, had notice been transmitted (but not published) to at least two newspapers as required, we would have been sure to learn of it through their reporting by now.

Based on the above, this suggests no Adequate Notice has yet to be given of any special meeting, and therefore the very earliest that a special meeting can be held is Monday, only if Adequate Notice is effectuated by tomorrow. If that were the case, we will be hearing all about it through the newspapers. In other words, do not believe any "insider" or "sources" or "Subway foot long" who claims knowledge of an imminent announcement unless the above has first occurred.

Since I have some experience with the Open Public Meetings Act in NJ (OPMA) and have litigating issues stemming from same, I want to share some information that you might consider useful in ruling out any imminent news of Schiano being (officially) hired and tempering expectations a bit related to timing.

For the sake of this post, I am accepting the notion that the Board of Governors (BOG) must take some official action before the new head coach can be hired. I did not find the source of that requirement, but it sounds kind of obvious, especially in light Schiano's demands for further facilities commitment, so let's roll with that assumption.

BOG Bylaws - Under the Bylaws, it must hold at least six regular meetings per year. Notice of those meetings must comply with the OPMA, under which "Adequate Notice" is required. For regular meetings, Adequate Notice is usually effectuated at the beginning of the year, during a so-called "reorganization meeting," during which a resolution of the regular meeting dates for the upcoming year is adopted. Then, notice of same must be: (1) prominently posted in at least one public place reserved for such announcements, (2) transmitted to two newspapers in time for publication 48-hours in advance of the meeting, (3) filed with appropriate Municipal or County Clerk or the Secretary of State if the public body has statewide authority, and (4) mailed to any person upon request.

Obviously BOG action will have to come sooner than that, if any of the reports are even remotely true.

The BOG Bylaws also provides for Special Meetings. Special meetings may be called either at the Chair's own discretion, or at the request of three voting members upon receipt of notice from them stating the purpose of the meeting. Of course, any special meeting must also be held upon Adequate Notice under the OPMA, which requires, among other things, notice be:

"mailed, telephoned, telegrammed, or hand delivered to at least two newspapers which newspapers shall be designated by the public body to receive such notices because they have the greatest likelihood of informing the public within the area of jurisdiction of the public body of such meetings, one of which shall be the official newspaper, where any such has been designated by the public body or if the public body has failed to so designate, where any has been designated by the governing body of the political subdivision whose geographic boundaries are coextensive with that of the public body."

Note: The above requirement DOES NOT mean that notice must be published in the newspaper, although many feel that it is proper to do so for the sake of exercising an abundance of caution. I have searched all public notices that have been published and there have been none concerning the Rutgers Board of Governors for the purpose of considering any athletics matters. Moreover, had notice been transmitted (but not published) to at least two newspapers as required, we would have been sure to learn of it through their reporting by now.

Based on the above, this suggests no Adequate Notice has yet to be given of any special meeting, and therefore the very earliest that a special meeting can be held is Monday, only if Adequate Notice is effectuated by tomorrow. If that were the case, we will be hearing all about it through the newspapers. In other words, do not believe any "insider" or "sources" or "Subway foot long" who claims knowledge of an imminent announcement unless the above has first occurred.

Thanks I sorta asked this question in another thread.

Would a BOG meeting be needed to hire an adviser for the rest of the season?

Reactions: rutgersal
When Ash was hired, the news on Saturday December 5, 2015 broke: "Rutgers set to hire..."

The Monday December 7, 2015 story reported: Negotiations between Rutgers and Ash heated up Friday night, were finalized Saturday and became official Monday at a Board of Governors meeting to approve his incentive-laden five-year contract worth at least $11 million.

This timing and the reporting is consistent with the legal requirements in the OP and also consistent with the pattern for this hire. I sense legit outlets will break news tomorrow (once the notice of special meeting is given) that Rutgers is "set to hire" Schiano and everything gets wrapped up this Monday.

Reactions: Rutgers8086

Okay...

So how does this relate to what we were told about Hobbs being given permission to fire Ash 2 weeks before the fact. That allegedly came from the BoG, as well. So the question is, "was there a BoG meeting, Special or otherwise, two weeks prior to Chris Ash being fired?"

Or is there some Secret Squirrel Mechanism of which we are unaware?

I did not find the source for the answer to this question (i.e. at what point does Hobbs require Board authority to hire someone). Some organizations boards will grant their executives authority to conduct day to day operations and only require board approval for contracts exceeding a certain amount.

so do es the targum count as one of the newspapers?

The BOG would have (or should have) designated its official newspaper and it is highly doubtful that the Targum is one of them. It would typically be a newspaper with wide circulation. The SL and Home News and the most likely.

I did not find the source for the answer to this question (i.e. at what point does Hobbs require Board authority to hire someone). Some organizations boards will grant their executives authority to conduct day to day operations and only require board approval for contracts exceeding a certain amount.

The BOG would have (or should have) designated its official newspaper and it is highly doubtful that the Targum is one of them. It would typically be a newspaper with wide circulation. The SL and Home News and the most likely.
thanks

I was just joking that they could do the Targum and some local New brunswick paper to keep the news very quiet

Okay...

So how does this relate to what we were told about Hobbs being given permission to fire Ash 2 weeks before the fact. That allegedly came from the BoG, as well. So the question is, "was there a BoG meeting, Special or otherwise, two weeks prior to Chris Ash being fired?"

Does the BOG have to sign off on a firing? I really dunno. If it had, it would have been hotly and pretty definitively reported at least 48 hours prior. Or, perhaps business related to personnel under contract are conducted in closed session and not immediately open to the public, as pending litigation matters are. Most likely, what you heard two weeks prior was well-grounded speculation of a likely outcome. Or unfounded speculation that just happened to be right. After all, the water was decidedly boiling by the time Ash was let go.

Reactions: RUScrew85

Probably needed to agree to extra spending and contract approval regardless of Schiano coming in as HC or "Consultant".

Does the BOG have to sign off on a firing? I really dunno. If it had, it would have been hotly and pretty definitively reported at least 48 hours prior. Or, perhaps business related to personnel under contract are conducted in closed session and not immediately open to the public, as pending litigation matters are. Most likely, what you heard two weeks prior was well-grounded speculation of a likely outcome. Or unfounded speculation that just happened to be right. After all, the water was decidedly boiling by the time Ash was let go.

They didn't have to sign off on the firing, per se. They did have to sign off on the buyout.

It was reported, the day that Ash was fired, that Hobbs had received approval from the BoG two week previously. I believe it was in the nj.com piece about Hobbs making the decision on the plane ride home.

Reactions: Leonard23
They didn't have to sign off on the firing, per se. They did have to sign off on the buyout.

It was reported, the day that Ash was fired, that Hobbs had received approval from the BoG two week previously. I believe it was in the nj.com piece about Hobbs making the decision on the plane ride home.

Then it was probably handled in closed session, which public bodies are allowed to do when open legal matters are discussed. Interestingly, there was no regular meeting date anywhere around that time and I found no public notice published about any special meeting taking place (noting however that publication of same is not a requirement). Although I note that a closed session did take place on July 23, 2019, which isn't unusual. That was the last regular meeting until October 2, 2019 after Ash was already gone.

Another piece to chew on:

N.J.S.A. 10:4-13. Exclusion of public; resolution; adoption; contents

No public body shall exclude the public from any meeting to discuss any matter described in [N.J.S.A. 10:4-12b] until the public body shall first adopt a resolution, at a meeting to which the public shall be admitted:

a. Stating the general nature of the subject to be discussed; and

b. Stating as precisely as possible, the time when and the circumstances under which the discussion conducted in closed session of the public body can be disclosed to the public.

Okay...

BOGs has to approve any contract in excess of $250,000...at least that's my reading of the spending authority matrix, which limits the President's and AD's authority to $250,000: generalcounsel.rutgers.edu/files/00055282pdf

https://generalcounsel.rutgers.edu/signatory-authority/signatory-authority-policy

https://generalcounsel.rutgers.edu/signatory-policy-matrix

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT