ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s get off the ledge …and focus on this week

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
At wakw forest
At seton hall

This is an important week right now …need at least a split, avoid getting swept ans prefer to do the sweeping.

We have 19 more league games …so we can make up the loss to a ranked Illinois …but these are two we need to get for the out of confrenxe record that we can’t make up later….

Wake is 4-3…and like illinojs , has a week to prepare for us.

Seton hall is 5-2 and likely 5-3 after a loss to Baylor this week

This is a big week …considering that the next five games are two home cupcake wins (LIU and stone hill), then three harder games away from the RAC (Mississippi state in newark , rhe. The stsrt of big ten play witb road games at Ohio state and ar Iowa)

Need the hard toilet flush of yesterday game and get ready for a week that the high can get this season going in the right direction with two wins, or the low can make the rest of the season an uphill climb with two loases

Need to figure out how to rebound, or this is a last place team in the BIG. The only teams we have out rebounded are ethe 3 low majors, BU, Bryant and Howard. It will be hard to win games if we continue to give up 2nd chance points and not get some 2nd chance points ourselves.
Think about this. Last night we shot 50% from 3(6‐12) and lost by 20 points!

Reactions: RutgersChow
Figure out our strengths and play to them.
Cliff fighting and clawing to get himself in position for an entry pass is an enormous waste of energy.
Everyone overplays it, everyone knows it’s coming and Cliff is bad away from the basket.
Stop it!!!!!!
COMPLETELY AGREE

We are not playing to our strengths and putting our people in the best position to succeed overcoming their deficiencies. This is on coaching at this point.

First big change is the starting lineup and changing it. Woolf and Cliff need to be on the floor at separate times to create the best spacing and more efficiency on the offensive side the of the ball

Need to figure out how to rebound, or this is a last place team in the BIG. The only teams we have out rebounded are ethe 3 low majors, BU, Bryant and Howard. It will be hard to win games if we continue to give up 2nd chance points and not get some 2nd chance points ourselves.
Think about this. Last night we shot 50% from 3(6‐12) and lost by 20 points!
Yes rebounding is HUGE!! You can see it though that the big men do not know how to box out and WAIT for the ball to come to them. Also the guards are not trying to help rebound and are looking to run.

Hyatt is actually one of our best rebounders if you watch him--thing is he just has lapses as if he loses interest especially after a missed shot on the other side of the floor

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Our team philosophy last year (led by Caleb) was we don’t score they don’t score! This team needs to adopt that philosophy and embrace it. Our only chance to succeed is defense and rebounding and we cant increase the pace on offense if we don’t rebound. We are better off in transition getting FB points that setting up the offense.
Pike (said last night its on him) so he needs to figure it out NOW!

The question in my mind is how many B1G teams are a slightly better version of Georgetown. Are there wins out there even for a team like ours with warts.

Reactions: Scangg
Wake will be extremely tough to win.

SHU is definitely winnable for RU.

SHU doesn’t shoot it well at all.

We know Sha will have his team ready and Richmond is darn good.

RU has more depth if it becomes a physical foul fest.

Will Pike have his team ready at tip off in a very hostile atmosphere ?
Remains to be seen

These next two games are everything. We can't have losses to Princeton Wake and Hall. Our tournament resume would be shot with an ugly OOC

If we want any hope of post season play, the team needs to find a way to get a minimum of 1 but ideally both wins. Dig deep. Find a way.

These next two games are everything. We can't have losses to Princeton Wake and Hall. Our tournament resume would be shot with an ugly OOC

If we want any hope of post season play, the team needs to find a way to get a minimum of 1 but ideally both wins. Dig deep. Find a way.

Agreed, they need to go on the road, show toughness and actually play tough (box out, rebound, hustle, win 50/50 balls, contest everything). We have seen RU teams of the past that display these traits, time for this team to show if they’re capable of playing tough. Mag can do it (but he’s not playing) and A Williams displays it in my opinion. Not much of anybody else though. Time for that to change this week if they want to have a shot at the tourney.

The question in my mind is how many B1G teams are a slightly better version of Georgetown. Are there wins out there even for a team like ours with warts.

Minnesota Penn State Maryland

I have no doubt we can spring a few upsets against the likes of Indiana and Wisconsin if they have a bad day and ee have a good one

Minnesota Penn State Maryland

I have no doubt we can spring a few upsets against the likes of Indiana and Wisconsin if they have a bad day and ee have a good one
no doubt...unfortunately can we do better than 50/50 in games we are "supposed to win"

We are at 7-2 with Stony Hill Puppy farm and LIU

35% to 65% games (12)
at WF
at SHU
MSiss St
Indiana
Neb
at Mary
Wisc
NW
at MIN
MD
Mich
OSU

Over 65% (1)
PSU

Under 35% (9)
at OSU
at Iowa
at MSU
at Ill
PUR
at Mich
at Pur
at Neb
at Wisc

Going to be VERY difficult to find 19 wins, let alone 16.

If we don't get our sh!t together fast we are staring down 13-18 and playing out the string in the sad Wednesday game at the B1G tournament in front of 86 fans.

If i had EVEN odds at .500 I'd have to take the under.

Reactions: bac2therac
We are at 7-2 with Stony Hill Puppy farm and LIU

35% to 65% games (12)
at WF
at SHU
MSiss St
Indiana
Neb
at Mary
Wisc
NW
at MIN
MD
Mich
OSU

Over 65% (1)
PSU

Under 35% (9)
at OSU
at Iowa
at MSU
at Ill
PUR
at Mich
at Pur
at Neb
at Wisc

Going to be VERY difficult to find 19 wins, let alone 16.

If we don't get our sh!t together fast we are staring down 13-18 and playing out the string in the sad Wednesday game at the B1G tournament in front of 86 fans.

If i had EVEN odds at .500 I'd have to take the under.
7-2 probably win 1 of the next 3 away from home games.
Probably win 7 or 8 conference games.
That is 15.
Hopefully Pike learns how to teach offense for next season.

Yes rebounding is HUGE!! You can see it though that the big men do not know how to box out and WAIT for the ball to come to them. Also the guards are not trying to help rebound and are looking to run.

Hyatt is actually one of our best rebounders if you watch him--thing is he just has lapses as if he loses interest especially after a missed shot on the other side of the floor
That's real, real old school. You block out and then go get it, not wait for it.

Agreed.

I still think this team has a lot of good basketball ahead.

Looking forward to watching them. Time for Pikiell to earn his big bucks! Lol.

Reactions: BillyC80
Wake will be extremely tough to win.

SHU is definitely winnable for RU.

SHU doesn’t shoot it well at all.

We know Sha will have his team ready and Richmond is darn good.

RU has more depth if it becomes a physical foul fest.

Will Pike have his team ready at tip off in a very hostile atmosphere ?
Remains to be seen
Unfortunately,I think we lose both game this week..

any chance to keep the resume afloat means winning 2 of the 3 big ooc games left. RU needs to split these games this week at minimum. I actually think SHU will be the easier of the too. Wake though isnt all that good. Their only win of note is over a good but not great Florida at home, lost to LSU and Utah and Georgia. The other wins were all against cupcakes. Wake can score alot though so I have my doubts that currently it might not be a good matchup for them.

Just get to 2024 at 9-3 and go from there.

Cliff fighting and clawing to get himself in position for an entry pass is an enormous waste of energy.
Everyone overplays it, everyone knows it’s coming and Cliff is bad away from the basket.
Stop it!!!!!!
And add to that . . . Fernades is very bad making entry passes to the post.

Reactions: zappaa
any chance to keep the resume afloat means winning 2 of the 3 big ooc games left. RU needs to split these games this week at minimum. I actually think SHU will be the easier of the too. Wake though isnt all that good. Their only win of note is over a good but not great Florida at home, lost to LSU and Utah and Georgia. The other wins were all against cupcakes. Wake can score alot though so I have my doubts that currently it might not be a good matchup for them.

8-4 probably still alive but little hope and 7-5 or less, no bueno.

Stop it!!!!!!
He ain’t great around the basket either. Too often our guys take shots outside of their skill sets. Cliff almost always. Hyatt driving from the corner in traffic, Simpson jumpers…..

You repeating me now :)

We see the same ….lol

Agreed, they need to go on the road, show toughness and actually play tough (box out, rebound, hustle, win 50/50 balls, contest everything). We have seen RU teams of the past that display these traits, time for this team to show if they’re capable of playing tough. Mag can do it (but he’s not playing) and A Williams displays it in my opinion. Not much of anybody else though. Time for that to change this week if they want to have a shot at the tourney.
How is Rutgers going to win on the road without one go to scorer and having no clue when it comes to rebounding?

At wakw forest
At seton hall

This is an important week right now …need at least a split, avoid getting swept ans prefer to do the sweeping.

We have 19 more league games …so we can make up the loss to a ranked Illinois …but these are two we need to get for the out of confrenxe record that we can’t make up later….

Wake is 4-3…and like illinojs , has a week to prepare for us.

Seton hall is 5-2 and likely 5-3 after a loss to Baylor this week

This is a big week …considering that the next five games are two home cupcake wins (LIU and stone hill), then three harder games away from the RAC (Mississippi state in newark , rhe. The stsrt of big ten play witb road games at Ohio state and ar Iowa)

Need the hard toilet flush of yesterday game and get ready for a week that the high can get this season going in the right direction with two wins, or the low can make the rest of the season an uphill climb with two loases
The problem is that Derek, Cliff and Noah , have to be better. Cliff has been worse this year . Derek had a couple of good games as did Noah who seemed to be coming on. But all 3 against Princeton and Illinois did not elevate their games and actually had bad games , worse than the average game we could expect.
The frustrating part is you look around the Big 10 and Bruce Thornton the sophomore point guard from Ohio State has gone from just about 10 points a game to over 18 a game. He is not faster than Derek just tougher and seems to hitting at a decent clip. We cannot get 1-6 against Illinois and 1-8 against Princeton from Derek. Where is his sophomore rise like Thornton ?
Cliff doesn’t have to be Edey but just using the backboard gets him another 6-8 points . I was calling for Cliff to be a 20 point 10 rebound guy his senior year. It looks like a pipe dream now. Cliff has to either be put in continuous Pick and Roll and the guards better watch 100 hours of film to make sure they pass it to him. Pike has to eliminate the 5 play , where Cliff is at the top of the key with the ball and the guard comes around for the handoff , who is supposed to drive to the basket and if they beat their man and no sag off resistance drive all the way and if they sag off to hit Aundre or Gavin for
the 3 . That doesn’t work when the other guards are quicker and won’t let the guards penetrate . Now you have Cliff 15-18 away from the basket where he cannot offensive rebound, something he has consistently been good at . Get Cliff on the baseline or on the block if not running pick and roll.
We need our 3 best scorers to elevate their games not digress.
Getting Gavin or Aundre coming off down screens , double screens, staggered screens , would also help. You cannot run that damn 5 play over and over.
We have shoot better period. Stat lines of 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 2-10 are beating no one no matter how many turnovers we cause.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT