ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball LIVE GAME THREAD: Rutgers vs. Illinois

Cockburn killed us. Johnson decided not to show up. Our offense was basically Young firing up shots. Not gonna get it done.

Reactions: zebnatto
Did not like Paul in with 2 minutes to go and he dribbled too much and bad pass to johnson. Johnson needs to play smarter.

Reactions: Mr. Gerbz
What a shame for such a fantastic game to be completely stolen by the officials at the end. This game deserved OT or a buzzer beater by either team but they decided to stop calling fouls on Illinois at the end, and that Myles screen foul .. are you actually kidding me.0

Very disappointing because it is a game we could have won but now we have two straight at home... need the next two

PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT NCAA TOURNAMENT. We are not close to where we need to be.
Yep no NCAA team that’s 2nd place in their conference with 9 bids falls to 3rd after a loss. Close up shop might as well forfeit the season.

Not a basketball expert by any means, but feel like this was a good close game played between two good teams. As coach Boylan just said on the post game "Illinois executed a little better down the stretch". In addition, maybe this is my basketball ignorance speaking, but that moving screen on Johnson and goaltend on Harper down the stretch were real ticky-tac.

Still "up" for the Indiana game.

We need a pure shooter. We really have no shooters. Our PG looks to pass and does NOT shoot. The defense expects him to because all season he passes instead of creating a shot or taking the shot!!
Don't forget our goto guard was on the bench all game.

Reactions: jvgrad02
Yep no NCAA team that’s 2nd place in their conference with 9 bids falls to 3rd after a loss. Close up shop might as well forfeit the season.

Exactly this is the big 10. We can easily lose the next 5. 6 of our last 10 games are against ranked opponents. We could easily lose all those and the other 4. We are 4 games into conference play. Way to early to start talking standings. The standings could be flipped by next Saturday. I know Rutgers fans have rose colored glasses on but the truth is we are still Rutgers and have yet to prove we are any different than last years team. We still can’t win on the road, we still can’t score, we still don’t have a leader, our offense is still stagnant...

we went 3-11 in February and March last year. And the two of the three wins were against none NCAA tournament teams at home

What is it with Johnson with offensive fouls for screens.?

He has to learn that once you set the screen you CANNOT move toward the dribbler/defensive player. Such an easy call and he cannot lose playing time due to cheap fouls. The last one was caused by him being late to set the screen along with the dribbler going too soon as he wasn't set yet.

We now have a group of games that we can make a move. This one is behind us. 4 of the next 5 at home then MSG.

Reactions: Pancho1939
I agree that there were reasons in our play that were the reason for our loss today - but quick look at the Illinois board, and they seem to think they got the benefit of the whistle today.

Very disappointing because it is a game we could have won but now we have two straight at home... need the next two

PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT NCAA TOURNAMENT. We are not close to where we need to be.
Agree we’re just not a tourney team. Maybe nit if we get lucky.

if they're going to call ticky tack moving screens then call them on everyone. Miles gets called for them ALL fracking time
He didnt have a chance to get set, Young (i think it was Young) started to go too quick, gotta wait that split second

Exactly this is the big 10. We can easily lose the next 5. 6 of our last 10 games are against ranked opponents. We could easily lose all those and the other 4. We are 4 games into conference play. Way to early to start talking standings. The standings could be flipped by next Saturday. I know Rutgers fans have rose colored glasses on but the truth is we are still Rutgers and have yet to prove we are any different than last years team. We still can’t win on the road, we still can’t score, we still don’t have a leader, our offense is still stagnant...

we went 3-11 in February and March last year. And the two of the three wins were against none NCAA tournament teams at home

I am not panicking but I know what you are saying. I think people are getting too caught up in the newness of RU being up in the standings, we can be 2nd one day and by Wednesday we can be in a tie for 5th through 8th. Things change quick, look at Penn State now.

I disagree with you though, I think this team is different, we are more consistent, we are beating quality competition more consistently. Tough loss today but nothing changes my opinion from before tip today. I think the issue is ALL the upcoming games are tossup so things can change rapidly. I see some fans annexing wins over certain teams similar to RU..how can you do that, RU is very similar to 4 to 6 other league schools right now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT