ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of talk about NJ recruits at tOSU spring game

RUtah

Junior
May 7, 2014
Watching on BTN now. Talking about Apple and Noah Brown and how Meyer has Larry Johnson recruiting eastern PA and Jersey hard.

ohio state has great nj players on their roster and is recruiting nj hard?

thanks for the heads up. i had no clue.

They have 99k people watching a spring game, I don't blame anybody that wants to play for that fan support

Originally posted by RUwoz:
They have 99k people watching a spring game, I don't blame anybody that wants to play for that fan support
They root for cheaters... hell.. they DEMAND cheatin'

Originally posted by jay_hq:
ohio state has great nj players on their roster and is recruiting nj hard?

thanks for the heads up. i had no clue.
Are you Kyle Flood in real life?

Do the 99,000 fans remember Hernandez failed multiple drug tests while at Florida under Meyer. Coach was only worried about wining football games .

I doubt the 99000 fans care about drug tests almost many years ago when they are winning national championships and bring in top-10 classes year after year

I'm pretty sure regardless if the fans demand cheating or a clean program, a player would love the idea of playing in front of a fan base that brings 90k+ for a spring game.

Originally posted by j10oreo:
I'm pretty sure regardless if the fans demand cheating or a clean program, a player would love the idea of playing in front of a fan base that brings 90k+ for a spring game.
... or the idea of playing in a part of the country that's so implicitly boring, that 90,000 of its residents show up to a football stadium to watch a college team practice, five months before there's meaningful game play.

Come to Columbus, where no one has anything better to do than watch you sweat.

So SanFran, you're hoping 0 people turn out next Friday for our game, because that would mean everybody was too busy doing more fun things, and the recruits will love that?!

"... or the idea of playing in a part of the country that's so implicitly boring, that 90,000 of its residents show up to a football stadium to watch a college team practice, five months before there's meaningful game play.

Come to Columbus, where no one has anything better to do than watch you sweat."

Yeah, you could be right. But I'll tell you one thing for sure, watching a Buckeye football game in the Fall sure is fun and rewarding
smile.r191677.gif
. However you want to spin it !

Originally posted by SanFranRutgers:
... or the idea of playing in a part of the country that's so implicitly boring, that 90,000 of its residents show up to a football stadium to watch a college team practice, five months before there's meaningful game play.

lets be fair. columbus is the 15th largest city in the country and theres plenty to do there. the 14th largest city is the one your alias is named after, San Francisco. Columbus is a nice city. its also close to a few pro sports teams. but thats not stopping their fans.

saying people care for a college football program only if they dont have anything else to do is attacking rutgers more so than ohio state.

are you saying rutgers can't be a top program because its close to nyc and philly?

its a good thing jim delaney doesn't think that.

This post was edited on 4/18 8:10 PM by jay_hq

SanFran your way off - I'm from jersey and live in Columbus it's a great town.

There is tons to do here but folks love the buckeyes and you can't blame them...

With that being said those Jersey kids should just stay home and go to RU
This post was edited on 4/18 8:13 PM by Roy_Faulker

Originally posted by GoodOl'Rutgers:

How are they cheaters unless being good is cheating? That statement sound like Syracuse fans accusing GS of being shadie because they couldn't out recruit him.

If Rutgers won the national championship we would probably have over 100k at a spring game too....maybe more than a million at ticker tape parade
Posted from Rivals Mobile

You need to cheat to win. Win and you get millions of fans. Get millions of fans and the media has to cater to the market demands. Media caters to market demands and generates positive press. Generate positive press and scandals are de-emphasized. Scandals are de-emphasized so when you get caught in a scandal, the media will help dissipate the negative attention attention quickly. Dissipate the negative attention quickly so you can go back to cheating and winning.

Cheat.

"You need to cheat to win. Win and you get millions of fans. Get millions of fans and the media has to cater to the market demands. Media caters to market demands and generates positive press. Generate positive press and scandals are de-emphasized. Scandals are de-emphasized so when you get caught in a scandal, the media will help dissipate the negative attention attention quickly. Dissipate the negative attention quickly so you can go back to cheating and winning.

Cheat."

You're on to us. Whatever it takes !
3dsmile.r191677.gif

My take away from this tread is that RU needs to start cheating. How do we go about that?

Originally posted by RU205:
My take away from this tread is that RU needs to start cheating. How do we go about that?
Find a suitable bag man.

Well, we could start by not making kids like Hester have to pay for his own damn tattoo. lol

Hey, bottomline, OSU is a great football team, it is a very good university, the campus is very nice, Columbus is actually a pretty cool city. They have years and years of football history and winning. The money their FB team receives is staggering.

Meyer is a pick and does not give two shits about anyone on his team that is not on the field.

I absolutely get why a kid would go there to play. Even if my kid was being by both Rutgers and OSU, I would give OSU a very hard look. But then I would realize that I would not be able to see many of his games, he would not have us only an hour away when he needed something or just wanted the company of family and friends. He would not have a coach or school that really cared about him becoming something other then a football player. But hey, it would be cool to be able to brag he was a Buckeye to my friends and co-workers, wouldn't it/ lol

What I think about Ohio State is Katzenmoyer taking fundamentals of golf to be eligible to play. Was in SI years ago now.
This post was edited on 4/19 9:30 AM by shields

Originally posted by shields:
What I think about Ohio State is Katzenmoyer taking fundamentals of golf to be eligible to play. Was in SI years ago now.
Dont kid yourself, RU has plenty of classes like that. I took a few of those at Douglass, they are 1-2 credit classes for the phys ed majors. Badminton, golf, as well as fundamentals of officiating, were actually pretty good classes. Some majors have a lot of leeway in terms of where you get your credits, not everyone is an engineering or pre-med student.

"... or the idea of playing in a part of the country that's so implicitly boring, that 90,000 of its residents show up to a football stadium to watch a college team practice, five months before there's meaningful game play.

Come to Columbus, where no one has anything better to do than watch you sweat."

Yeah, you could be right. But I'll tell you one thing for sure, watching a Buckeye football game in the Fall sure is fun and rewarding
smile.r191677.gif
. However you want to spin it !
I went to columbus for a game last Fall. It was sick, a different experience. The ENTIRE town seemed like they were preparing for it. RU is right there on the tailgating front, but game experience is another Ballgame completely, even for the spring.

Originally posted by SanFranRutgers:

Or, there's a lot of fans who can't afford to take their family to experience an Ohio State football game at $80-150 for a face value ticket? I didn't go, but I have a lot of friends who took young kids who may not get to go to a real game for a positive experience and a great way to spend some quality time outside on a gorgeous day.

Originally posted by GoodOl'Rutgers:

Why wouldnt they. Its the obvious effect of having a fan base that has a smaller percentage of alumni. RUs fans are still mostly alums (or their familes) - so they have some skin in the game as far as the public perception of the school itself. OSU (and Bama and others) - not nearly so much due to winning - so its natural that they will be more likely to take a do to win stance.

A few high profile academic schools like Michigan have enough wrapped up in their own academic prestige that they can overcome this, or at least due a better job of hiding it. But OSU isnt Michigan academically.

Columbus is a strange place when it comes to OSU football. Lots of Kool-lade drinkers here.

You actually have people greeting others with O-H and the reply is I-O

It's the strangest thing I have ever seen. Someone actually did it to me Saturday night....I ignored it like I normally do.

Originally posted by shields:
Not to sound defensive, but Ohio State as a university has really changed. Back in those days (almost 20 years, for those of you scoring at home), all you needed to get in was a pulse and an Ohio address.

Of course, I'm also going to say if you don't think every major program has creative classes to keep players eligible well...in that case one of my best buddies is Nigerian royalty and needs to get cash out of the country...

This post was edited on 4/20 9:19 AM by Nosoj

Originally posted by KingHigh:
You need to cheat to win. Win and you get millions of fans. Get millions of fans and the media has to cater to the market demands. Media caters to market demands and generates positive press. Generate positive press and scandals are de-emphasized. Scandals are de-emphasized so when you get caught in a scandal, the media will help dissipate the negative attention attention quickly. Dissipate the negative attention quickly so you can go back to cheating and winning.

Cheat.
Scandals de-emphasized? DE-emphasized? Really? Maybe you missed the national outrage of a few teenagers trading their own belongings for tattoos? There was certainly a LOT more coverage than UNC has received for decades of institutional cheating and the exact same punishment Miami got for Nevin Shapiro.

I have been to Columbus, it's a nice small city. That's an unwarranted criticism. Also, it's a city that shows a lot of pride in the school, not in reverence for criminals...unlike a certain B1G school...

Columbus is a decent town, one of the rare places in the Midwest that you see lots of new construction.

I'm guessing a lot of people that go to spring games at schools like OSU, PSU, UM are less affluent and probably driving in from the sticks?

It is a nice city, but I'm not sure where the idea of it being "small" comes from. Columbus is the 15th largest city in the US by population, with a total metro area population of around two million (1.9 - 2.3 million). It's one of the few cities outside the Sun Belt that has continued to grow the past fifty years.

List of US cities by population

Originally posted by Kentor404:
It is a nice city, but I'm not sure where the idea of it being "small" comes from. Columbus is the 15th largest city in the US by population, with a total metro area population of around two million (1.9 - 2.3 million). It's one of the few cities outside the Sun Belt that has continued to grow the past fifty years.
Probably BWI.
tongue.r191677.gif
They seem to think that Columbus is still a cowtown while ignoring the fact that their stadium is literally in the middle of cow pastures.

Originally posted by Kentor404:
Mostly NJ folks here, which is adjacent to NYC. Most folks consider Philadelphia (I think the 4th or 5th largest metro area in the country) to be "quaint."
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Nosoj:
Originally posted by KingHigh:

Cheat.
Scandals de-emphasized? DE-emphasized? Really? Maybe you missed the national outrage of a few teenagers trading their own belongings for tattoos? There was certainly a LOT more coverage than UNC has received for decades of institutional cheating and the exact same punishment Miami got for Nevin Shapiro.
I have a two word response.. though there are many to choose from, I'll go with...

Maurice Clarett

I have a two word response.. though there are many to choose from, I'll go with...

Maurice Clarett
Oh sure, I mean if you consider round the clock coverage on ESPN, a year long NCAA investigation, Clarett being charged with filing false police reports, being suspended for a year and later dismissed from the team de-emphasized. I'd hate to see what an emphasized scandal looks like.

I made the following statements on another thread as I mixed that thread and this one. I apologize for the redundancy.:

First of all, the Clarett and Katzenmoyer examples although popular with haters, are examples that are 12 and 17 years old. At least come up with newer examples.

Clarett was a very good player and based on people both outside very intelligent. He did however have documented mental issues. There was a reason he was suspended from the team and never played again.

Katzenmoyer has long been the poster child of improper academics at a football school. It was based on an opportunistic SI article that has been greatly exaggerated over the years. He was a true freshman starter on a National Championship contender. Those responsibilities and due to his own admitted misplaced priorities effected his grades. While at risk if he failed his Fall Quarter classes he was never ineligible. So he took an elective Golf class and an elective Aids Awareness class worth one credit hour each, over the Summer, I said the Summer, one more time- over the Summer, to give him some margin of error.

All things considered I'd say that was a pretty responsible thing to do. No grade fixing involved. He never became ineligible and as a son of two teachers, eventually graduated after his NFL playing days.

As far as OSU football players in general. They had a 78% graduation rate in 2013, a tie for fourth in the Big 10. Rutgers that same period had an 84% rate which would have replaced the Buckeyes as fourth.

Looking at APR which takes into account leaving early for the pros and transferring in good academic standing, OSU finished with 972 points good enough for 5th in the conference. Granted 10 points less than the previous year when they were third in the conference, but still 17th among Power 5 schools and 26th among FBS schools.

So an argument can be made that those numbers aren't elite but much better than the average and much much better than the picture painted by biased haters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT