ADVERTISEMENT

LSU Bankruptcy?

Yup. Like Greece, the bill collector will come around at some point. Sorry liberals, you are running out of other people's money at the state level. I hope you don't run out of other peoples money on the federal level before I am dead.

There will be blood.

Reactions: jonS
So long as football is still funded that's all that counts. ;)

Liberals? Isn't Louisiana pretty red. More than anything I just think they're a poor state.

LSU is not declaring bankruptcy or anything even remotely close to it. Louisiana and most of its state-related entities are generally strong credits. And their credit profiles have outperformed the country for the last 5 years.

Click bait.

Yup. Like Greece, the bill collector will come around at some point. Sorry liberals, you are running out of other people's money at the state level. I hope you don't run out of other peoples money on the federal level before I am dead.

There will be blood.

Or maybe it was the billion dollar tax cut that the current governor pushed through and the sluggish economic growth since he took over. http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...as-gov-brownback-editorials-debates/24616613/

I think this just confirms that any increase in B10 funding will be used to offset any subsidy received from the state of NJ. Wisconsin, Kansas and Louisiana slashing state subsidy to state universities. Student tuitions will be raised to assist any cuts from the state.

They called it an academic bankruptcy which sounds like it allows them to cut costs (layoff tenured faculty/cut programs) with less red tape. The credit rating was downgraded to stable A1 from positive but I wouldn't consider that too big an issue.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/04/lsu_academic_bankruptcy.html

It's not your fault, because you're quoting the article, but it's based on sh*tty reporting.

The credit rating was NOT downgraded. Their credit rating was on Positive outlook, which means LSU could have been upgraded over the next cycle. Now, the outlook was moved back to Stable. Which means they won't be upgraded imminently.

They sold one year debt this week where they pay under 0.50%. LSU's credit and finances are just fine.

Last edited:
It's not your fault, because you're quoting the article, but it's based on sh*tty reporting.

The credit rating was NOT downgraded. Their credit rating was on positive outlook, which means LSU could have been upgraded over the next cycle. Now, the outlook was moved to Stable. Which means they won't be upgraded imminently.

They sold one year debt this week where they pay under 0.50%. LSU's credit and finances are just fine.
Yea I suppose it's just semantics of me not knowing what to call it moving from positive to stable. They're still A1 Moody's and I'm sure have similar ratings with S&P, Fitch.

I see it as somewhat analagous to an actual financial bankruptcy in that allows you to cut through some red tape to cut costs but they're not actually in real financial peril of meeting their debt obligations. I don't know where they are rated academically but I do think moves like this will hurt them in that arena like the article says. I think they would take a hit in attracting better faculty and students.

Agreed.

The term bankruptcy was used to get clicks. Academic "Bankruptcy" isn't an official term used in higher ed. And in the debt world, NOBODY uses the "B" word unless you are a very distressed credit.

Fitch has them at AA- and I have to look up where S&P rates them.

For clarification purposes, I hope everyone realizes that this is LSU-Shreveport, NOT LSU at the Baton Rouge campus.

Jindal is a right wing nitwit GOV(one of many) of the1st magnitude ...possibly WORSE than Christie...you GET what you vote for....

Jindal panders to his base like most politicians, especially those running for president.

But by most objective measures, his state is in better shape than when he took over and he's been a fairly successful governor.

There will be blood.
Three of the most corrupt state Louisiana, Illinois, and New Jersey. The reason Louisiana is bankrupt first because the Manta "No New Taxes" had ruled the state for 25+ years. Jersey and Ill. Just raised taxes to cover the corruption. Politicians such no matter which party the come from are LEECHES ALL OF THEM. And we the citizens conservative/liberal PAY!

For clarification purposes, I hope everyone realizes that this is LSU-Shreveport, NOT LSU at the Baton Rouge campus.
You sure about that it sounded like their LSU university system and maybe some other publics in Louisiana.

From the article I posted:

If necessary, Louisiana's public colleges and universities will coordinate their financial exigency filings, rather than have 16 to 20 different campuses putting in financial paperwork separately, according to higher education officials.

This is from an article in February from the same paper:

LSU is facing a state budget cut of more than 40 percent to its operating budget, a move that could result in turning students away, reducing staff and shutting down entire programs at the Baton Rouge flagship campus.

"The potential that could hit us would be tuition fee increases, 3,000 less course offerings, hiring freeze on all new faculty, which would put a freeze on 125 of our faculty (searches)," LSU President F. King Alexander said.

There will be blood.
Greece would
Jindal panders to his base like most politicians, especially those running for president.

But by most objective measures, his state is in better shape than when he took over and he's been a fairly successful governor.
He took over shortly after Katrina and right in the heart of the financial meltdown. It would be hard NOT to make things better than that double shot of crap over the course of 7 years.

You wanna know who would know whether hes doing a good job though? Louisianans. Lets see what they think. 27% approval is pretty good right?

As for Mozs comment. It sums it up - its not liberals vs conservatives, its old people and their healthcare versus everyone else and everything else. And of course, as usual, basically no part of his comment is particularly true.

So long as football is still funded that's all that counts. ;)

Liberals? Isn't Louisiana pretty red. More than anything I just think they're a poor state.

Pretty sure that was return fire for the Jindal comment.

I dont think so. I mean its probably worth wondering whether a potential presidential candidate is involved in steep cuts to his states already crappy university system. It was just a standard Moz rant out of nowhere.

Haha, didn't even notice. Most of those back and forth quips fly over my head. I'm with the guy above, red or blue they all have their problems. I won't stick my nose in the middle, carry on...;)

You sure about that it sounded like their LSU university system and maybe some other publics in Louisiana.

From the article I posted:

If necessary, Louisiana's public colleges and universities will coordinate their financial exigency filings, rather than have 16 to 20 different campuses putting in financial paperwork separately, according to higher education officials.

This is from an article in February from the same paper:

LSU is facing a state budget cut of more than 40 percent to its operating budget, a move that could result in turning students away, reducing staff and shutting down entire programs at the Baton Rouge flagship campus.

"The potential that could hit us would be tuition fee increases, 3,000 less course offerings, hiring freeze on all new faculty, which would put a freeze on 125 of our faculty (searches)," LSU President F. King Alexander said.

US News & WR reported that the LSU - Baton Rouge endowment (not the system endowment) as of 2013 was $459 million. While pitiful for a school that size, that should keep that campus out of bankruptcy unless they are trying to tie it in for political purposes.

US News & WR reported that the LSU - Baton Rouge endowment (not the system endowment) as of 2013 was $459 million. While pitiful for a school that size, that should keep that campus out of bankruptcy unless they are trying to tie it in for political purposes.
As was discussed above, it doesn't look like an actual financial bankruptcy where they'll run into any trouble of meeting their debt obligations. Their credit ratings are still all in tact. It's an "academic bankruptcy" or whatever other term they want to use. To me it looks like a way for them to cut through some of the red tape to cut costs similar to an actual financial bankruptcy but they don't seem to be in any financial peril. Their debt is still investment grade and someone above wrote they issued some debt for .5% so you're not seeing it in any rise in their interest rates either.

I'll offer anyone 50:1 odds that LSU will not declare bankruptcy in the next year. To be clear I'm saying I will pay $50 if they file for chapter 9 (real financial bankruptcy, not some clickbait headline from Louisiana's version of nj.com/Politi/Star Ledger) in the next year. You'll pay me a $1 if they don't.

Not sure how I can put this any other way... Minimum is $25 bet.

You wanna know who would know whether hes doing a good job though? Louisianans. Lets see what they think. 27% approval is pretty good right?

Most people who follow this stuff are aware of his #s. He's in his 8th and last year as governor and is not allowed to run anymore due to term limits.

Serious Question - do you really think a popularity poll of a lame duck is the most effective way to judge the job he's done?

Most people who follow this stuff are aware of his #s. He's in his 8th and last year as governor and is not allowed to run anymore due to term limits.

Serious Question - do you really think a popularity poll of a lame duck is the most effective way to judge the job he's done?

Why not. Its not like they are all in the 20s. Obama is holding firm in the 40s in his second to last year. Im sure i could come up with other long time governors from both parties who arent in the 20s either.

Louisiana's job growth is weak to the point that unemployment went UP for most of last year - the only state in the nation to have a substantial increase during any period since the recession turned. They now have a giant budget hole as well.

So yeah - I think its a pretty fair thing to look at.. He has made a number of blunders on the big stage due to his almost laughable presidential ambitions, and seems to be doing a pretty junk job of managing Louisiana as well.

I think real-time approval ratings are silly and possibly the worst way to judge someone's past and future performance, but you think they're valid, so let's do this.

• Every current governor that is a potential presidential candidate is sitting at the lowest ratings of their term. Coincidence? (ex Kasich)
  • Jindal's ratings are in line with Obama's when adjusted for time in office.
  • Barring something improbable like video of him beating Michelle, do you think Obama could do anything to get into the 20s? Compare that to an Indian in Louisiana, a place that is consistently Democrat at the state level. Only two other republican governors have been elected in the last 140 years. Their floors are completely different.
  • I'm not saying this is Jindal by any means - But if someone in office pushes an unpopular law that may cause short term pain for long term gain, wouldn't an overnight approval rating be the worst way to judge that person's performance? Again, not Jindal.

-"The only state where UE went up significantly." You forgot to mention another one. North Dakota. Any connection there?

-Before you said his good data didn't matter, because it would have been hard for anyone not to make things better. But the data does matter if it's bad? Do you see any bias in your argument?

-I think Jindal is terrible at the political game and has embarrassed himself almost every time he's been in the national spotlight. But every president post-Nixon had "laughable presidential ambitions" at some point.

Last edited:
I think real-time approval ratings are silly and possibly the worst way to judge someone's past and future performance, but you think they're valid, so let's do this.

• Every current governor that is a potential presidential candidate is sitting at the lowest ratings of their term. Coincidence? (ex Kasich)
  • Jindal's ratings are in line with Obama's when adjusted for time in office.
  • Barring something improbable like video of him beating Michelle, do you think Obama could do anything to get into the 20s? Compare that to an Indian in Louisiana, a place that is consistently Democrat at the state level. Only two other republican governors have been elected in the last 140 years. Their floors are completely different.
  • I'm not saying this is Jindal by any means - But if someone in office pushes an unpopular law that may cause short term pain for long term gain, wouldn't an overnight approval rating be the worst way to judge that person's performance? Again, not Jindal.

-"The only state where UE went up significantly." You forgot to mention another one. North Dakota. Any connection there?

-Before you said his good data didn't matter, because it would have been hard for anyone not to make things better. But the data does matter if it's bad? Do you see any bias in your argument?

-I think Jindal is terrible at the political game and has embarrassed himself almost every time he's been in the national spotlight. But every president post-Nixon had "laughable presidential ambitions" at some point.

1. Yes, it probably not a coincidence. Are any of them at 27%?
2. How do you figure?
3. I dont know - Bush got down into the 20s. And Louisiana isnt consistently Democratic at the state level, not any more - both houses are Republican majority. Nearly all of its federal congressional delegation is also Republicans.
4. There might be a connection - although Louisiana went up much more tan ND, and started much longer ago (in fact its started to come down again lately) and most of the move occurred before the oil market dropped out.

And yes - his good data doesnt matter because every state in the country is better off than in 2008 (although actually you/I are wrong - the state is worse off than when he was elected and took office - the billions in federal money caused a really low UE rate as they rebuilt from Katrina, plus presumably so did really high oil prices) So if he is doing something (making a states economic situation better) that all states did, then its not notable. Every state in the nation is significantly better than the end of 2009 - from blue as the sky California, to red as a rare steak Texas. But if his states UE goes up by 2% when everyone else is steady or dropping, thats pretty notable.

Look - if he had ratings in the 30s even, I could say - OK, hes just at the end of the line. But 27%. You've gotta not only get the entire opposition party to dislike you, but most of your own party. Thats pretty hard to do. It took a pretty bad recession, a major hurricane disaster, and a nation weary of war to get Bush down to those levels for example.

The Chancellor of LSU half jokingly threatened to remove to the "state" from the football helmets because of what Jindal did...

Jindal passed regressive taxes making millionaires and billionaires pay less income tax while making everyone else pay higher sales taxes. Shocker, that ruined the budget.

Jindal has a plan though. While LSU has to exponentially raise tuition, he's going to pass a law allowing discrimination against gays, and told corporations who don't like it to pound sand.

While Louisianans can't put food on the table, Jindal goes on Fox News claiming there a Muslim "no go zones" in the UK despite the Conservative UK PM criticizing the statement as idiotic.

Same thing that is happening in Kansas....they can't even keep K-12 schools open the full school year. They have awful job growth. But hey, the Koch brother that lives there pays less tax!

I guess it's either a conspiracy, or a coincidence, that Louisiana, Wisconsin, and NJ have had worse job growth and enormous budget shortfalls under their current governors...

Louisiana's problem are a prelude to our country's problem
It is coming so do not be surprised

ADVERTISEMENT