ADVERTISEMENT

Mandel: 'The SEC has become a League of Excuses "

Yeah I heard the guy spewing the exact same garbage Sunday morning. He referred to Tennessee as a "great" team and part of what makes the SEC 10-12 deep. That's when I laughed out loud and couldn't take the guy seriously. The guy also lumped RU in with Purdue and Indiana as being the dregs of the B1G which I also found laughable. Guy must have just been trying to rile up listeners and draw calls.

And yes, there was that article going around a few years ago about SEC bagmen. Does cheating go on at the Texas Schools, Oklahoma, Miami, Ohio state, USC, FSU, Clemson, etc, sure. But when a whole network of anonymous bagmen brazenly come forward and compare notes about how they land kids in the majority ofSEC schools, I'd assume it's a conference wide practice save for maybe one or two schools. Anyway you slice it, the SEC has many built in advantages. Do you think Nadir Barnwell would be forced to sit out due to academic performance at Auburn or Arkansas? LOL!!! Or would any SEC program turn away a heavily recruited RB who passed NCAA clearinghouse but not the schools academic standards the way Wisconsin did to that recruit recently? Hell no! Don't know why SEC fans get defensive over this. My wife and her mom both graduated from Florida State which may as well be an SEC school and my wife laughs when I talk about players actually having to go to class at Rutgers and Barnwell possibly not being eligible. She's like "he will play" and I said it's not looking like it. She admits it is what it is at the southern schools when it comes to football players and academics.

You know, you were doing so well until you insinuated that academic performance does not matter at Arkansas.
As unbelievable as you might think, the coaches do NOT permit players to play nor practice if their academic performance is lacking.

I can only hope that someday, maybe in 200 years, that Arkansas generates some respect. Some of our schools, and some of our citizens, are worthy of respect. Please do not judge us all with a broad stroke of discrimination.

The sec learned long before all the other conferences how this works.
-Early season loses will be forgiven thus schedule your FCS opponent later in the season.
-Get your coaches together and rank your teams in conference higher than they should be thus elevating their rank in coaches poll.
-Play no teams north of the Mason/Dixon line thus eliminating adverse weather conditions. Or make them so called neutral site games in the south where your fan base can easily travel.(Or play teams you should easily beat. Arkansas[winking])
-Schedule light out of conference games pumping up your record.
-Make a good deal with e$pn to get your propaganda out.
-Wait for everyone to believe the hype, then rinse and repeat

The sec was just first to the punch. All it took is for one team (sometimes two) to make the championship game and the myth was complete. Remember all they had to do was win one game. A tough game yes but when your always there much easier for a conference to gain prestige. Now however it will take a long time to dispel. Because now being on top they can use all types of excuses to explain why they lost. It can't be that there are other good teams out there. Something else must of happened for the almighty sec to lose. It's never that the other team out played them.

The sec learned long before all the other conferences how this works.
-Early season loses will be forgiven thus schedule your FCS opponent later in the season.
-Get your coaches together and rank your teams in conference higher than they should be thus elevating their rank in coaches poll.
-Play no teams north of the Mason/Dixon line thus eliminating adverse weather conditions. Or make them so called neutral site games in the south where your fan base can easily travel.(Or play teams you should easily beat. Arkansas[winking])
-Schedule light out of conference games pumping up your record.
-Make a good deal with e$pn to get your propaganda out.
-Wait for everyone to believe the hype, then rinse and repeat

The sec was just first to the punch. All it took is for one team (sometimes two) to make the championship game and the myth was complete. Remember all they had to do was win one game. A tough game yes but when your always there much easier for a conference to gain prestige. Now however it will take a long time to dispel. Because now being on top they can use all types of excuses to explain why they lost. It can't be that there are other good teams out there. Something else must of happened for the almighty sec to lose. It's never that the other team out played them.

Wow! Just wow,

I am so glad that the anti SEC bashing is out in full bloom early this year!

Maybe this phase of vitriol will pass like the dog days of summer in August......but I sincerely doubt it.

Get your licks in early and often gentlemen, I fully expect this annual ritual to continue!

Personally, I am going to focus NOT on what your perceptions are of the SEC, but on the reality of what the games actually are once again.

Best wishes to the Scarlet Knights and to the Razorbacks!

Gentleman,

I'm not knocking Arkansas at all. My buddy (from Louisiana) and his family live there. They are diehard LSU fans although he went to ULM. Arkansas is a great state with friendly people. I'm glad Coach Bielema has brought some integrity back after the Petrino and John Smith dumpster fires. But I'm speaking more about the original SEC teams and South Carolina as we know how they operate. Arkansas is still a SWC school to me. I think the vitriol you are reading here comes from things such as having an ESPN radio host on the air laughing at the Big Ten. I mean we all know they have an agenda but please...be professional.

Whatever you think. But I think there is a plausible case to be made for Arkansas to be ranked.
  1. We return a bunch of starters on both sides of the ball.
  2. We have a 5th year senior as our starting QB.
  3. Our offensive line is experienced and large!
  4. For the first time in college football history, a non-ranked team shut out 2 ranked football teams.
  5. We thoroughly demolished the state team from texass in our bowl game by holding them to 59 total yards of offense for the game.
Personally I don't care for ANY ranking prior to the 5th game of the year. Teams are playing the soft part of their schedules and really haven't established identities.
I wish Rutgers the absolute best this year and I will wear my Rutgers gear weekly. But don't discount my Hogs. We WILL make some serious noise this year!
Agree. Think Arkansas will be good this year.

Seems the polls always hype the sec whether they deserve it or not. it's easy to say they don't deserve it when they do poorly in bowls and play weak ooc schedules, however they always have some great teams.

I've disliked sec when urban was at Florida. What a sniveling, whiny guy. I think most teams and fans down there have a lot of passion and it's cool to see. Seems there are some very knowledgeable fans as well, which we're sorely lacking in this area.

Go hogs.

As noted in article....all I did was post that facts about that 15 year period.

It was obvious that the previous person was clueless about Arkansas recent history with the NCAA.

My apologies. I thought it was directed at me.[/QUOTE]

SG.. please note that Knight_Light is a UCF Knights fan.. not a Rutgers fan.

Whatever you think. But I think there is a plausible case to be made for Arkansas to be ranked.
  4. For the first time in college football history, a non-ranked team shut out 2 ranked football teams.
  5. We thoroughly demolished the state team from texass in our bowl game by holding them to 59 total yards of offense for the game.
Personally I don't care for ANY ranking prior to the 5th game of the year. Teams are playing the soft part of their schedules and really haven't established identities.
I wish Rutgers the absolute best this year and I will wear my Rutgers gear weekly. But don't discount my Hogs. We WILL make some serious noise this year!
I think Arkansa is a good team. I enjoyed watching them last year. What I was trying to say earlier is that SEC teams who were "not great, but good" the previous year seem to be ranked the following year based on potential. Very few teams outside the SEC get that type of treatment.

Agree. Think Arkansas will be good this year.

Seems the polls always hype the sec whether they deserve it or not. it's easy to say they don't deserve it when they do poorly in bowls and play weak ooc schedules, however they always have some great teams.

I've disliked sec when urban was at Florida. What a sniveling, whiny guy. I think most teams and fans down there have a lot of passion and it's cool to see. Seems there are some very knowledgeable fans as well, which we're sorely lacking in this area.

Go hogs.

I completely agree about Urban. I have zero respect for him.

I also agree that the polls always favor the teams that historically have done well. That is just another reason why there should be no polls until after the 5th week of the season.

Reactions: ron313
SG. I support your ban on the term Arky, but, as long as 'Joisey' goes with it.

biazza: "I think Arkansa is a good team. I enjoyed watching them last year. What I was trying to say earlier is that SEC teams who were "not great, but good" the previous year seem to be ranked the following year based on potential. Very few teams outside the SEC get that type of treatment."

PSU is getting that very treatment.

Oh Lord, please, before I pass on to that great stadium in the sky, please help me to assist my brothers and sisters at Rutgers to stop referring to the university of Arkansas as "ARKY". You and I know, dear Lord, that ARKY is not a word and should not be used under any circumstance as it is disrespectful to the many fine inhabitants of this fine Southern state.

Instead Lord, I pray that one day soon, like right now, right here, right now, that the name Arky be banished from this earthly paradise and instead call upon your divine grace and blessings to be bestowed upon all who want to refer to Arkansas without spelling out those few extra letters by just using the 3 letters of ARK.

It would mean so much to me Lord if you can make the users of "Arky" switch to just ARK in the future. And If You have the time Lord, a little world peace would make my day as well.

Arky is almost as bad as "Wisky"

SG. Sorry, I believe you. But, it's a common slight by everyone who is not from here. I'd rather be called a 'guido'. In fact, that was the tag the West Virginia fans would call us when our yearly conference game with them was approaching. We had a lot of fun with them.

SG. Sorry, I believe you. But, it's a common slight by everyone who is not from here. I'd rather be called a 'guido'. In fact, that was the tag the West Virginia fans would call us when our yearly conference game with them was approaching. We had a lot of fun with them.

I feel sure that from your perspective, you are correct. Just as many people think of Arkansans as "hillbillies". When in fact, there are very few hillbillies in Arkansas, as I imagine there are very few guido's in NJ.

Actually I have not seen a hillbilly in years. They are different from rednecks. Rednecks drive trucks and are beer drinking fanatics. Hillbillies keep to themselves and work their land and are very quiet/shy. Rednecks are vociferous. I could be a redneck. LOL.

I have met several from NJ. I have yet to meet a Guido.

I feel sure that from your perspective, you are correct. Just as many people think of Arkansans as "hillbillies". When in fact, there are very few hillbillies in Arkansas, as I imagine there are very few guido's in NJ.

Actually I have not seen a hillbilly in years. They are different from rednecks. Rednecks drive trucks and are beer drinking fanatics. Hillbillies keep to themselves and work their land and are very quiet/shy. Rednecks are vociferous. I could be a redneck. LOL.

I have met several from NJ. I have yet to meet a Guido.
Lots of guidos in nj. Lots of hillbillies in WV.

The guidos vs hillbillies bit was just us making fun of the worst stereotypes about each others states. It just doesn't feel right doing that with corn feed Midwesterners most of which are just too polite and even good old Arkansas is too modern and progressive when compared to West Virginia.

Last edited:
Which is why I responded.

Yes, everyone cheats...but SEC Boosters (and programs) have PhD in cheating...leaving all other conf behind.

Further proof they are the premier power 5 conference they even cheat better

I know it's not exactly the same regional area, but, I was stationed in SC for 4 years. Saw a few rednecks or two. However, we DO have our own flavor of rednecks here in NJ. Wonder if they're related. They have pickups, gun racks and dogs, sometimes even a few have mullets.

Disagree...as it "seems" SEC Boosters are much more open in regards to the $$$ they offer players and/or their handlers.

In Mid 1990's, Bama Boosters offered tens of thousands of $$ for a key recruit
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2001-09-07-alabama.htm

Then a few years later, the infamous case of Bama Booster offering up to $200,000 to secure lineman Albert Means from a Memphis HS.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58965-2005Feb2.html

Then you had the recent bidding war between Miss St offering Cam Newton's Dad $180,000...yet Auburn obviously offered a better deal in the end.

As some know, many of the SEC Booster $$$ go through local historical black churches were many of these players parents and/or handlers have connections to...thus making it virtually untraceable (heck, not even taxable).

There's a lot of sour grapes being spewed on this Board. You don't think PSU and OSU are not cheating big time as well? You don't think that RU would gladly play the same game if it had as many wealthy and rabid boosters? Welcome to big time college sports and the new way of doing bu$ine$$.

There's a lot of sour grapes being spewed on this Board. You don't think PSU and OSU are not cheating big time as well? You don't think that RU would gladly play the same game if it had as many wealthy and rabid boosters? Welcome to big time college sports and the new way of doing bu$ine$$.

That is a very cynical way of looking at things, judging by history the answer to the Rutgers question is no. The way that the local media watches Rutgers as a hawk, if there was any SECbusiness happening here we would have known about it now. As far as Penn State and OSU, they both had scandals before (as we all know) but wasn't for the same thing that the SEC schools do. They were both for covering up crimes rather than paying players. the OSU guys sold their awards for exchange of tattoos and the HC didn't report it to the NCAA. Not really the same thing as paying $250,000 for a player to commit to a school. Sorry, but the Big Ten is not the SEC.

Reactions: Knight_Light

Sorry to be so late but in your statement you will be ranked cause.....
1) returning a lot of players is just a stat view some of your returners should be replace with younger hungrier better players for you to be ranked.
2) 5th years QB is still mediocre at best (sorry said it before)
3) valid point
4) good point*** but correct statement should be "we are playing better D due to a great DC." (from RU)
5) yes was a great show love it. But again Great execution by players from a great DC with a month to work on the game plan
Does your superior DC earn you a top 25 ranking (it rarely did for Rutgers but you are in the sec) all said and done upset some teams with great D and yes you will disserve a top 25 ranking
Good luck Hogs

Sorry to be so late but in your statement you will be ranked cause.....
1) returning a lot of players is just a stat view some of your returners should be replace with younger hungrier better players for you to be ranked.
2) 5th years QB is still mediocre at best (sorry said it before)
3) valid point
4) good point*** but correct statement should be "we are playing better D due to a great DC." (from RU)
5) yes was a great show love it. But again Great execution by players from a great DC with a month to work on the game plan
Does your superior DC earn you a top 25 ranking (it rarely did for Rutgers but you are in the sec) all said and done upset some teams with great D and yes you will disserve a top 25 ranking
Good luck Hogs

Thanks for the well wishes!

You gotta understand that THIS is why I love college football. Hope springs eternal at the start of the season! Both Rutgers and Arkansas could end up undefeated for the season and play each other in the playoff! Wouldn't THAT be amazing?

Anything is possible at this point.

Here is food for thought..... let's say that the B1G gets 2 teams in the playoff. The Pac 10 gets 1 and Baylor/TCU represents the Big 12. Guess what?

Give up?

Yeah, the next year there will be 8 teams in the playoff. There is NO way that the powers that be in the SEC will let another year pass without an SEC team in the playoff. Book it Dano!

If you want 8 teams in the playoff, have a single year where no SEC team makes it in the 4 team playoff.

Actually I am surprised that I haven't seen a thread on this so far.

Oh Lord, please, before I pass on to that great stadium in the sky, please help me to assist my brothers and sisters at Rutgers to stop referring to the university of Arkansas as "ARKY". You and I know, dear Lord, that ARKY is not a word and should not be used under any circumstance as it is disrespectful to the many fine inhabitants of this fine Southern state.

Instead Lord, I pray that one day soon, like right now, right here, right now, that the name Arky be banished from this earthly paradise and instead call upon your divine grace and blessings to be bestowed upon all who want to refer to Arkansas without spelling out those few extra letters by just using the 3 letters of ARK.

It would mean so much to me Lord if you can make the users of "Arky" switch to just ARK in the future. And If You have the time Lord, a little world peace would make my day as well.

Arky in a sentence.
What is that big floating box with a bunch of animals on board?
You mean that big, arky looking thing?

... They were both for covering up crimes rather than paying players. the OSU guys sold their awards for exchange of tattoos and the HC didn't report it to the NCAA. Not really the same thing as paying $250,000 for a player to commit to a school. Sorry, but the Big Ten is not the SEC.

Yes, teams bend/break rules (like OSU) but paying approx $200,000 for a potential recruit seems to have only popped up in the SEC (Albert Means and Cam Newton) that we know about...and no doubt I'm sure there have been plenty of others (maybe not at the $200,000 level).

Yes, teams bend/break rules (like OSU) but paying approx $200,000 for a potential recruit seems to have only popped up in the SEC (Albert Means and Cam Newton) that we know about...and no doubt I'm sure there have been plenty of others (maybe not at the $200,000 level).

So it's okay if Big 10 Teams just cheat on a moderate scale?

So it's okay if Big 10 Teams just cheat on a moderate scale?

Huh?

Of course not...and OSU got off somewhat easy in their recent scandal which could have been much worse (i.e. all the cars some players were driving, many not even registered in their or families name).

Sorry, I have been guilty of this. People also refer to Ark as the Hogs. Is Hogs ok?

Huh?

Of course not...and OSU got off somewhat easy in their recent scandal which could have been much worse (i.e. all the cars some players were driving, many not even registered in their or families name).

You mean the players that worked at a Car Dealership? They were not given free cars.
With the new NCAA rules, players are now allowed to have paying jobs.

OSU only got in trouble for not reporting it and them lying about it or most of these would have not been a big deal at all.

With the new NCAA rules, players are now allowed to have paying jobs.

Incorrect...as that's always been a myth and still is one.

Some players do have off-season part-time jobs...but come football season, its hard for them to add part-time hours for work when they are taking 12 plus hours of school, 20 hours of "football" time (includes film room work, meetings, practice time, etc...),

Sorry, I have been guilty of this. People also refer to Ark as the Hogs. Is Hogs ok?

Of course! Feel free to call us the HOGS all you want. Not Piggee's, but Hogs!

When we use our "chant", it is known as 'calling the hogs'. So yes, please feel free to use the term Hogs or Razorbacks. Hogs are beautiful!

6. You don't play Rutgers.:smiley:

ADVERTISEMENT