ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland athletics on a roll...

RutgersSam

All American
Nov 6, 2004
They were very good in men and womens bball this past season, and on paper they are stacked for next season. Their lacrosse team is in the National Championship game (although looks like they will come in 2nd), and their baseball team just made the NCAA playoffs

It's sad that all we have to even compare to Maryland, who should be our peer, is women's basketball. Yes, we beat them in football, which was amazing, but they are well ahead of us in recruiting so far at this point.

I know we have had some positive developments lately (commitment of Jonathan Pollard, Corey Sanders and Freeman), but I sincerely hope our leadership realizes that at the current rate, our athletic program overall will continue to remain at the bottom of the conference in nearly every major sport. It's all about recruiting - in every sport - and we really need some dynamic marketers to sell our vision and the boatload of reasons why Rutgers is a premier destination for highly talented student athletes.

Last edited:
They are the Oregon of the East coast, they will go nowhere but up. We may think their unis are hideous, which they are, but 17 year old kids love that kind of crap

Reactions: Shimmy24
Their baseball team just made the regionals (NCAAs)...not the CWS...yet...BIG difference!

Nike= Oregon, Under Armour = Maryland. It's good to have rich friends.

The acc was a much more well rounded conference as compared to the Big East, especially in Olympic sports. Maryland has almost always been competitive nationally across the board, and has had a much bigger head start compared to Rutgers.

Being in the platinum conference will only enhance that.

We have A LOT of work to do in every single program to become competitive.

Tens of millions in the coffers, thanks to wearing those hideous clown suits, that remind me of a Midas Muffler ad. Where do we sign up? Maryland had a winning athletic tradition before this, however. Alumni and hence people in their State take pride and actually provide significant financial support to the University. The academic side, the University administration, the politicians and Athletics all work together and not against one another. College Park is also not hurting, in the sought after, college campus perception, department either. Yes they should be our peers. Years of neglect and apathy are the enemy and that needs to be overcome first. Calling ourselves B1G doesn't get it done and won't even pay the bills for years to come. Winning a couple of football games against any of the big boys would not hurt, but realistically would only provide window dressing, to the root causes of inferiority, which are bigger than football. Flood's Mein Kampf.

Reactions: RutgersSam
Maryland has had a very good year, to be sure. But to state that they are rolling money would not be accurate, as their primary motivation to jump from the ACC to the B1G was a financial one. They were running a huge deficit, which is also why their B1G is front-loaded. The B1G used that as a lure to get them to jump. They knew they didn't have to do that to get us.

UMd is fortunate to have a great donor but that doesn't automatically translate into an AD rolling in dough.

The acc was a much more well rounded conference as compared to the Big East, especially in Olympic sports. Maryland has almost always been competitive nationally across the board, and has had a much bigger head start compared to Rutgers.

Being in the platinum conference will only enhance that.

We have A LOT of work to do in every single program to become competitive.

Maryland invested in their sports and we didn't, and we only have ourselves to blame. I'd argue that football is competitive, but needs an upgraded football center to ensure we don't fall behind. I'd agree that EVERY other sport needs a lot of work.

Maryland has had a very good year, to be sure. But to state that they are rolling money would not be accurate, as their primary motivation to jump from the ACC to the B1G was a financial one. They were running a huge deficit, which is also why their B1G is front-loaded. The B1G used that as a lure to get them to jump. They knew they didn't have to do that to get us.

UMd is fortunate to have a great donor but that doesn't automatically translate into an AD rolling in dough.

We have one of the the largest, if not the largest subsidy in Div1. So we're not exactly in position to criticize Maryland for deficits.

And Maryland sports are fairly strong across the board, from soccer to women's basketball to preseason #1men's basketball to lacrosse.

I'd trade Marylands problems for ours in an instant. Weve got a much longer road to travel to be decent, let alone on Marylands level.

Maryland clearly has one of the 10 best athletic departments in the country based on the high rankings of their sport teams.Their dominace in the first year as a member of the B1G is very impressive.

They were making far more in the ACC than we were in the Big East. They are making more now per year than us as well, plus and more importantly they have a sugar daddy that pays for everything.

The sky is the limit for them.

It's about recruiting the right players for Rutgers, it doesn't mean recruiting everyone that Rivals, Scout, etc say RU should recruit. Many don't understand the concept.

The much more important concept to understand is that if Rivals, ESPN, and Scout or recruiters at Ohio St, Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Florida, etc, etc, etc. all agree a kid is very talented, then Rutgers needs to get this kid. Talent wins. Flood has offered many, many 4 and 5 stars over the last few years, and almost all have rebuffed us. He (Flood) understands that talent wins, which is why he sends out early offers to nearly every highly rated kid (as per Rivals, ESPN, Scout) in the geographic areas we recruit. Unfortunately, many of our fans don't understand that talent wins...

Getting the "right" players for Rutgers means absolutely nothing. It's a nice little catch phrase but tactically, it means nothing. I was in the military and whenever someone said we need to do something the "right" way, we'd punch them in the arm, because in the end, that trite expression means nothing substantive. If we received commitments from all of the 4-star recruits we offered, everyone here would just as easily deem them the "right" players for Rutgers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueblood4eva
The much more important concept to understand is that if Rivals, ESPN, Scout, etc all agree a kid is very talented, Rutgers needs to get this kid. Talent wins. We're offered many, many 4 and 5 stars over the last few years, and almost all have rebuffed us. Flood understands that talent wins, which is why he sends out early offers to nearly every highly rated kid in the geographic areas we recruit. Unfortunately, many of our fans don't understand that talent wins...

Getting the "right" players for Rutgers means absolutely nothing. It's a nice little catch phrase but tactically, it means nothing. If we received commitments from every 4 star we offered, everyone here would just as easily deem them the "right" players for Rutgers.

You get it Sam. Others do as well but many are afraid to say it. The "right player" stuff is bull. One of those, "right players" just got arrested for armed robbery at age 19 and he was the typical 3 star. That stuff is going to happen but is not a valid excuse for not winning 4 or 5 star battles. Urban Meyer knows and the much despised "penis head" James Franklin not only knows, but just said it as well, on his Coaches Caravan. He likes recruiting and establishing relationships, but more than that he loves winning. Recruiting well means winning. It is a major responsibility in coaching college athletics.

We spend too much time talking about what others have. Other schools are going to have what they have our job is to not only compete but find a way to win the championships we always talk about.

The reason why we have substandard facilities and underperforming coaches pretty much across the board is because thats what Rutgers accepts. Rutgers is lackadaisical at best when it comes to pursuing championships. It was a choice to neglect facilities for decades, it was a choice to repeatedly invest in substandard coaches, and it's a choice to continue the same practices while other programs blow by us.

I remember folks asking, 'how can schools like UCF, Lousville, and Cincinnati join the Big East and win Championships and BCS bowl bids while we continue to just hang around. The answer is simple, look at the money they've invested in their facilities and coaching hires. We couldn't compete against a bunch of newbies now we're up against schools that have been doing it for decades and some are asking the same question, why can't we atleast compete?

Unfortunately our battle cry is, 'we've got to wait until the B1G money kicks in'. Its amazing to me that so many are willing to wait 5-7 years to even begin leveling the playing field. To me, that's insane, but after so many years of neglect and apathy the choice to take this approach shouldn't be surprising.

Rutgers football is respectable, that's a lot to attain.

The non revenue come after your basketball and football foot the bill.

Yes you could do better with what you have but not that much better. Rutgers has huge potential, with your market and recruiting grounds. Don't give up and go woe is me after one year Jesus!

I agree that this 'right player for our culture' is a bunch of nonsense. So we spend years recruiting a kid and his family, we make him a priority recruit. The kid commits somewhere else and suddenly he is not the right kid for our culture.

The right kid for our culture has become a standard response over the past 3 years whenever Flood is asked why we missed out on so many recruits.

It's also funny that so many are excited that Flood made the stunning announcement that South Jersey is a focus for is in recruiting. When I first heard that he made this statement, my first thought was why is this new news? SJ was supposed to get a renewed focus for years.

Rutgers football is respectable, that's a lot to attain.

The non revenue comes after Kevin Plank foots the bill.

Yes you could do better with what you have but not that much better. Rutgers has huge potential, with your market and recruiting grounds. Don't give up and go woe is me after one year Jesus!

FIFY

We beat Maryland last year in football in THEIR HOUSE! That was a HUGE statement and I give Flood and the boys for stepping up big time and getting the WIN! (Game ball to Darius Hamilton for blowing up that run on 3rd and 1 in the back field all by himself forcing Maryland into the infamous 4th and 1 where we stripped the RB and recovered the ball)

We already are ahead of them academically ... you can check the World Rankings at this link... we are #33 and Maryland is #76

And this season we will take care of business and beat Maryland for the 2nd time in a row IN OUR HOUSE and in front of our ROWDY fans.

No offense to the other sports, but nobody really cares about the any of the other sports except football and basketball.

Maryland's non revenue sports have been respectable long before Kevin Plank was selling Under Armour out of the trunk of his car at lacrosse events.

Tell that to the seven non revenue athletic programs that Maryland recently eliminated. Are those programs still respectable?

Last edited:
They were very good in men and womens bball this past season, and on paper they are stacked for next season. Their lacrosse team is in the National Championship game (although looks like they will come in 2nd), and their baseball team just made the NCAA playoffs

It's sad that all we have to even compare to Maryland, who should be our peer, is women's basketball. Yes, we beat them in football, which was amazing, but they are well ahead of us in recruiting so far at this point.

I know we have had some positive developments lately (commitment of Jonathan Pollard, Corey Sanders and Freeman), but I sincerely hope our leadership realizes that at the current rate, our athletic program overall will continue to remain at the bottom of the conference in nearly every major sport. It's all about recruiting - in every sport - and we really need some dynamic marketers to sell our vision and the boatload of reasons why Rutgers is a premier destination for highly talented student athletes.
As I said when we both got in - MD is a legit P5 program, its just their budget that is screwed up. We came in as a MAC level program except FB, and have so much ground to make up that it will take a couple of decades to get level with everyone else across all sports.

We are even with them in FB. We might all behind because of Flood, but then again, they might go 3-9 this year and fire Edsall and start over again.

Tell that to the seven non revenue athletic programs that Maryland recently eliminated. Are those programs still respectable?

I think you are proving my point. Kevin Plank isn't some golden parachute for the department, My point was the success of non revenue sports. A number were competing at a national level long before he came around.

It is nice to compare him to Phil Knight, and maybe he will be some day, but from a funding amount, he hasn't donated nearly what Phil Knight has. I say that wishing we had a Kevin Plank and Under Armour.

The clowns that say only football and men's hoops matter would be banging the drums for those others sports if we weren't horrible in most of them (yes, I follow the other sports and I tip my hat to women's hoops and wonen's soccer for carrying the torch)

Yes, football and men's hoops are the most important but legit B1G schools care about other programs too.

We already are ahead of them academically ... you can check the World Rankings at this link... we are #33 and Maryland is #76

No offense but any rankings that have that big of a difference between MD and RU in either direction is a pretty awful set of rankings. U.S. News and World Report, far and away the most respected set of collegiate rankings, has MD at 62 nationally and RU at 70.

You can try to pump your chest all you want but don't pretend that Rutgers is all of a sudden far superior to Maryland academically.

Reactions: Local Shill
Credit to Maryland for making the NCAA tourney in men's hoops, baseball, and men's lax.

That's a very exclusive list. Hell, we didn't even make the conference tourney in baseball and lax and the only reason we did in basketball is because everyone does.

We have light years to go to be even mediocre.

No offense but any rankings that have that big of a difference between MD and RU in either direction is a pretty awful set of rankings. U.S. News and World Report, far and away the most respected set of collegiate rankings, has MD at 62 nationally and RU at 70.

You can try to pump your chest all you want but don't pretend that Rutgers is all of a sudden far superior to Maryland academically.

lol considering these are WOLRD rankings.... being ranked 40 spots apart really is not that far at all.

And for the record the UNWR rankings are NOTORIOUS for telling you the rankings from 5-10 years ago TODAY. This is because the single LARGEST component of their rankings is based on "undergraduate academic reputation" which is based on surveys to high school counselor, college presidents, and a wide variety of other people in the academic industry.
The problem with this factor is that people's opinions and attitudes of schools are"sticky" and it takes time for people's opinion's to catch up with a school's reality.

Also a lot of these rankings for colleges including UNWR factor "affordability" into their overall rankings formula at a very small relative percentage compared to other factors. This is one of Rutgers greatest strengths because it is extremely competitive and/or better than schools that cost much more to attend!

Here is another "ranking" link for you where Rutgers Business School was ranked 9th in the NATION for return on investment. Rutgers beat out Notre Dame and UCLA on this list to name a few of the "bigger" names. Maryland WAS NOT EVEN ON THE LIST. Here is the link... http://fortune.com/2015/04/10/best-colleges-for-a-business-degree/

So yeah if you want to go by USNWR and be 5 years behind... go right ahead.

Rutgers is ahead of Maryland academically and on the football field. On November 28, 2015 at High Point Solutions Stadium you guys will have the chance to try and at least gain the immediate bragging rights for the football field... good luck!

Credit to Maryland for making the NCAA tourney in men's hoops, baseball, and men's lax.

That's a very exclusive list. Hell, we didn't even make the conference tourney in baseball and lax and the only reason we did in basketball is because everyone does.

We have light years to go to be even mediocre.
Maryland's women's Lacrosse team won the national championship Sunday. Their second in a row and I believe, their 13th title since 1976.

Maryland's soccer programs are also pretty good too.

Nike= Oregon, Under Armour = Maryland. It's good to have rich friends.
The Home Depot Founder, Bernie Marcus is a Rutgers Alum. We could have more hideous uniforms than Maryland:
Home_Depot_1.jpg

lol considering these are WOLRD rankings.... being ranked 40 spots apart really is not that far at all.

And for the record the UNWR rankings are NOTORIOUS for telling you the rankings from 5-10 years ago TODAY. This is because the single LARGEST component of their rankings is based on "undergraduate academic reputation" which is based on surveys to high school counselor, college presidents, and a wide variety of other people in the academic industry.
The problem with this factor is that people's opinions and attitudes of schools are"sticky" and it takes time for people's opinion's to catch up with a school's reality.

Also a lot of these rankings for colleges including UNWR factor "affordability" into their overall rankings formula at a very small relative percentage compared to other factors. This is one of Rutgers greatest strengths because it is extremely competitive and/or better than schools that cost much more to attend!

Here is another "ranking" link for you where Rutgers Business School was ranked 9th in the NATION for return on investment. Rutgers beat out Notre Dame and UCLA on this list to name a few of the "bigger" names. Maryland WAS NOT EVEN ON THE LIST. Here is the link... http://fortune.com/2015/04/10/best-colleges-for-a-business-degree/

So yeah if you want to go by USNWR and be 5 years behind... go right ahead.

Rutgers is ahead of Maryland academically and on the football field. On November 28, 2015 at High Point Solutions Stadium you guys will have the chance to try and at least gain the immediate bragging rights for the football field... good luck!
I hate these kind of arguments. "My school is better than yours etc etc."

I can find lists that have UMD above Rutgers but ya know what? It's not really worth touting imo because the criteria for these lists are subjective.

How about this? Both schools are among the best public schools in the country.

And as for the athletics aspect, it's been discussed earlier in the thread.

Unfortunately our battle cry is, 'we've got to wait until the B1G money kicks in'. Its amazing to me that so many are willing to wait 5-7 years to even begin leveling the playing field. To me, that's insane, but after so many years of neglect and apathy the choice to take this approach shouldn't be surprising.

Thing to remember is that the arms/investment race is a moving goal...as yes, RU will in a few years finally get a full share of $$$ but all other members (minus MD) will be getting full share $$ like they have for decades and they all will be continuing to spend those $$$ on coaching staffs, recruiting budgets, facility improvements, etc...so RU will have to keep chasing the ever moving goal posts as Big Ten members will never "stand still".

I can find lists that have UMD above Rutgers but ya know what? It's not really worth touting imo because the criteria for these lists are subjective.

Agreed that both are among the best public schools in the country... But of course RUTGERS is better!!!

And as for the rankings I agree at first glance that there seems a million different rankings lists BUT as for the main ones.... if you look into the criteria for these rankings you can decipher which rankings are closer to the truth than others.

For example... US News and Word Reports rankings have the amount of alumni donations as a factor in its rankings. Now while this does have importance, it does not make a kid learn more or less during their years at the university and it does not help a student's job prospects. Also, like stated before, in USNWR the LARGEST FACTOR IN THEIR RANKINGS is the "undergraduate academic reputation" which is literally just a poll of high school counselors, college presidents, and others in the academic industry. But of course these people have jobs and families, they aren't keeping up with each individual college and what they are accomplishing and what changes have in their application levels, etc.

As for the world rankings from the Center for World University Rankings their rankings are much more research based and also factor in affordability (which just so happen to be one of Rutgers BEST strengths hence why it ranks so much higher in this ranking than in USNWR where affordability is a relatively small percentage of their ranking formula).

But if you get a diploma from either university you are doing pretty darn well.

Reactions: jorand
The comparison of Rutgers vs. Maryland this year is part of the reason long time Big 10 fans were skeptical about adding Rutgers. Outside of Football, ladies, basketball, ladies soccer, and maybe softball we were basically automatic wins for the rest of the conference. Even our best sports mentioned above were not competing for Big 10 titles. We offer a large demographic area for the BTN and great research for the CIC but athletically we are still way behind the rest of the conference. Being a respectable football program (top 35 to 50) was probably the main sporting reason that brought us into the B10 but we may be in a tough place to compete with the top 4 to 6 programs on the gridiron.

Maryland was not good in football but in basketball, lacrosse, and a number of other sports they were part of the class of the conference setting the bar.

Last edited:
The comparison of Rutgers vs. Maryland this year is part of the reason long time Big 10 fans were skeptical about adding Rutgers. Outside of Football, ladies, basketball, ladies soccer, and maybe softball we were basically automatic wins for the rest of the conference. Even our best sports mentioned above were not competing for Big 10 titles. We offer a large demographic area for the BTN and great research for the CIC but athletically we are still way behind the rest of the conference. Being a respectable football program (top 35 to 50) was probably the main sporting reason that brought us into the B10 but we may be in a tough place to compete with the top 4 to 6 programs on the gridiron.

Maryland was not good in football but in basketball, lacrosse, and a number of other sports they were part of the class of the conference setting the bar.

It's not really a fair comparison since Maryland had been a member of a major conference (ACC) since it's founding. Rutgers just finished it's first ever year in a major conference. Rutgers may be 250 years old, but it's really more like an adolescent who just got his own car. Give us time.

The lats line is key. This isnt a thread about where posters on this board would send their kids to college if costs were the same (or not any issue). Its about MDs athletics - which have been and continue to be very far ahead of us.

MikeRU1766 - heres the weird thing. You can say US News criteria are all wrong. But really - which school gets better students. Its not us. Its hard to reconcile that with the idea that RU is objectively the superior school.

UMd gets a significant cadre of upper middle class kids - including many from NJ (I know several personally that have gone there in the last few years) - that we simply don't get. That is similar to PSU, which also gets those types of kids in far greater numbers than we do. Getting those kids is critical to getting a base of potential donors whose families have the resources and the connections (helps kids get the right, well-paying jobs, etc.) to create alums who are in the position to be potential donors of impact. Only with greater private donations can we hope to materially improve our generally weak sports results.

Last edited:
if you want to use the argument of MD being in the ACC and having more money then maybe we can be compared to Louisville, Pitt, West Virginia, or Syracuse? What about UConn with their hoops success? Maybe remove Cuse since they are private but the others are publics like Rutgers.

Capital One Cup standings - http://www.capitalonecup.com/ :

Men's -
13. Maryland
42. West Va
49. Syracuse
68. Princeton
75. Louisville
75. Iona
NR. Rutgers
NR. Pitt
NR. UConn

Ladies -