ADVERTISEMENT

Mens Lax RU v Maryland Tomorrow Evening

njdirt

All Conference
Dec 10, 2005
Should be nice weather for the 6 PM start, I plan to make it with 3 grand sons and son as finally no youth lax coaching duties to conflict with for the 1st time this year.......
Hope RU can play as well as have recently and pull off an upset.

Just got back from game. Nice evening, thought there where more at the game than the announced 1776 as red lot was just about full and lots of kids throwing the ball around on the grass across the street(green lot?).
My quick thoughts, RU played well in the 1st half shutting down Rambo, some nice saves by Alleyne and a few shots that hit the pipe. The offense moved the ball and had good opportunities the entire game. What killed RU was the 4-0 run Maryland had in the last 6 min of the 3rd. 2 or 3 of those goals happened when the defense didn't slide fast enough to get to the open man down low or on the opposite side of the ball which gave them open shots.
As the 1st time was able to get to a game thought overall the play has improved since the start of the season from what could catch on computer or TV as was expecting Maryland to dominate, As said above got to start winning a few of these......

Originally posted by Jim_from_RU:
Wasn't Brecht a Division III guy before RU? Blame Pernetti for that nonsense too.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
No Siena is a D1 school that Brecht led to their first two NCAA appearances in the school's history.

Robert Morris ... Siena ...

Tim P liked the guys who had run small programs instead of someone who had been a top assistant at a big-time program. Just a budget decision or did he really believe he needed guys who had been the boss? Good thing that Mulcahy didn't go in that direction when he took a chance on an assistant from the U.

Jim, you were probably thinking of the previous coach, Stagnitta, who was from dII

Originally posted by 78CollegeAve:
Robert Morris ... Siena ...

Tim P liked the guys who had run small programs instead of someone who had been a top assistant at a big-time program. Just a budget decision or did he really believe he needed guys who had been the boss? Good thing that Mulcahy didn't go in that direction when he took a chance on an assistant from the U.
Pernetti made some bad decisions to be sure, but this exemplifies all RU coaching hires since time immemorial. No budget to hire strong candidates, so you are left with two options (1) Young "up and coming" HC from a mid-major level program or (2) Assistant from a major program (other than the top assistant candidate).

Arguments can be made in favor of either approach. Basically, with a mid-major HC you at least know they have successfully run a program before, albeit a smaller program. The gamble is that they can work their magic on the bigger stage. This was the thinking of the cadre that tried to replace Flood a year ago. This was the theory behind Mike Rice and Brecht. It didn't work with Mike Rice, but it has worked at a LOT of other schools. I think to be fair the jury is still out on Brecht. This team is close, and the recruiting is strong.

An assistant, on the other will know how things were done at a big time program. The risk is that you don't know if they will be able to recruit, or actually run a program themselves. Schiano worked out under this model, but certainly a lot of assistant to HC promotions do not.

I'm just a fan with a pretty superficial understanding of the nuances of the sport, but it seems to me that there are real signs of progress this year. Do we have a lot of kids returning next year? If so, we have reason to hope for improvement.

It is wins and losses at the Div-1 level. That's the measurement. Every year is a different year.

I do see a LOT of improvement this year. A year ago Jhop and Umd would have blown us out.

That said these close losses are frustrating

Thank God I have Cornell to folllow...because Rutgers makes my head explode LOL

Mike -- let's look at the record for the common opponents in 14 and 15. Where's the improvement? Princeton is the only better result.

2014 Opponent 2015

20-5 Wagner 13-10

12-19 Virginia 5-14

9-8 Army 7-9

20-4 Monmouth 9-10

10-7 Richmond 7-15

16-13 St Johns 10-8

9-12 Stony Brook 9-13

11-15 Princeton 11-12

Interesting comparison 78. As a casual fan, I guess I was focusing on the close losses against Hopkins, Princeton and Maryland, and the win on the road at Delaware. Some of the other results are head-scratchers.

Skull -- I just don't know what to make of the program right now. They've played really well for long stretches against Army, Princeton, Hopkins and Maryland. I'd like to think those losses can be attributed to lack of depth. More depth next season, who knows? Overall, RU frosh and sophs have been disappointing. Haven't seen the kind of impact that opponents's kids have been getting against RU. Maybe the class of '15 will include some playmakers with higher lax IQ. And someone to develop into the next Nardella.

Lack of depth doesn't explain the woefully inept play (skills and schemes) during the OOC games. Hopefully that was just the new staff working out the kinks and it won't be repeated in Year 5.

Originally posted by 78CollegeAve:
Skull -- I just don't know what to make of the program right now. They've played really well for long stretches against Army, Princeton, Hopkins and Maryland. I'd like to think those losses can be attributed to lack of depth. More depth next season, who knows? Overall, RU frosh and sophs have been disappointing. Haven't seen the kind of impact that opponents's kids have been getting against RU. Maybe the class of '15 will include some playmakers with higher lax IQ. And someone to develop into the next Nardella.

Lack of depth doesn't explain the woefully inept play (skills and schemes) during the OOC games. Hopefully that was just the new staff working out the kinks and it won't be repeated in Year 5.
Hmmm. Ya know just maybe...

(at least lets hope so)

I readily admit that I tend to be an optimist with respect to all things Rutgers, but I just reviewed the schedule and it does seem as if something clicked in the Delaware game and the results since then have been respectable against some very good teams, even if it hasn't translated into wins. Hopefully, the team will finish strong. Anyone have any insight into who can carry the load on faceoffs next year?

ADVERTISEMENT