ADVERTISEMENT

Mets v Yankees 2015: Who's better?

RCTrooper

All American
Apr 9, 2010
Perhaps I have my orange and blue glasses on but I think these Mets are measurably better than their crosstown counterparts. Here's my position by position breakdown:

C- METS: Travis D'Arnaud bat was coming around when he got hurt. He's hit over .300 since last August. His replacement Plawecki is a highly regarded prospect. McCann hasn't panned out, where he was supposed to hit for power in that stadium.

1B- EVEN: Duda has been hitting for average and we know he's good for 25 HRs. Injury-prone Texiera is up to 7 HRs and can get to 35 HRs if he stays gluten-free.

2B- METS: Murphy is a .280-.300 hitter who is hitting .200. Right now Drew hasn't shown the ability to hit even .250.

SS- METS: Flores is all bat and no D. Gregorious is the opposite but has had some struggles fielding.

3B- EVEN: Chase Headley was a good trade for the Yankees and is offensively at the same level as David Wright, who appears to be in the tail end of his career.

LF: YANKEES: Brett Gardner is the probably the best homegrown Yankee position player right now and can do more than Cuddyer can.

CF: EVEN: Lagares is a Gold Glove CF and is coming into his own on offense. Elsbury is a dynamic player when healthy but hasn't hit like he has in his better Red Sox years.

RF: METS: the overpaid Granderson gets a slight edge over Beltran, who probably should have retired after last year.

SP: METS: I don't think one person would be surprised if Tanaka gets pulled from one of his upcoming starts and opts for season ending surgery the next day. Pineda looks like the best Yankee SP right now. The Mets top 4 of Harvey-DeGrom-Bartolo-Niese is heads and shoulders above Tanaka-Pineda-CC-Eovaldi.

RPs: YANKEES: the Mets bullpen has been solid, even with the loss of Parnell and Mejia but the Yanks have been great. Betances is a stud and Miller has looked good as the closer.

Bench: YANKEES: I hate to say it but ARod is a better hitter than anyone on the Mets' bench, which is pretty sparse.

Reactions: ScarletStateofNJ
42393e4ad9b3bd49f63076c6bdec8de5.jpg

LOL

Great question as the over/under for wins for the Mets is 81 and Yanks is 80 for the 2015 season. Right now, with the Mets start, and Yanks being in a much tougher division, I'd give the edge to the Mets having more wins. I do think both will exceed their over/under number.

Mets are the better team. Mets are the more interesting team. And, oh yeah, Yankees payroll is an astounding $216M for an aging roster. Mets payroll is $108M.

Moreover, the Yankees model of roster creation is in trouble, because with the current TV deal, teams can resign their superstars ( see Stanton, Trout).

Mets are the better team. Mets are the more interesting team. And, oh yeah, Yankees payroll is an astounding $216M for an aging roster. Mets payroll is $108M.

Moreover, the Yankees model of roster creation is in trouble, because with the current TV deal, teams can resign their superstars ( see Stanton, Trout).

I think you will see Matt Harvey wearing pinstripes when his current contract is up :)

Why is it that the same people who are Mets and RU fans are complete optimists about the Mets and crow about how good the Mets are or will be but generally are complete pessimists about RU and point out all of Rutgers flaws.

Further - they crow about the Mets frugal spending like it's a badge of honor and bash Rutgers frugal spending as a sign of impending doom.

Who gives a flying F about the rings from the distant past. That is the same reason I hate Notre Dame football fans . The Yankees are the Notre Dame of MLB and Yankee fans = Notre Dame fans, And it is pretty clear the Mets are the better squad this year. One person I will root for on the Yankees is the best SS they have ever had on their roster... although they never let him play the position. Future hall of famer A- Rod.. A few homers away from my man Willie M...

The Mets are clearly better than the Yankees this season says Mets fans riding an 11-game winning streak...good thing this thread will still be around in September!

And i think its silly that OP try to give a fair assesment of his reasoning but takes shots at the Yankees in it.

The Mets pitching is good this year but thats about it...your team will also be second fiddle to the Yankees...the AL east is awful from top to bottom so Yanks have a shot at playoffs

Mets are better

Agreed for now. Even with all the injuries the Mets look to be better constructed for 162 games. However, if Eovoldi and Gregorios finally play up to their talent level, then I would probably go with the Yankees.

The Mets do look better and will be better...all the way until mid July or so when they sh#t the bed hard. So hard.

Please stop using the words "this year" what it's been 18 games ? Long as season and we all know the Mets can't hold a division lead period even with what 20 games to go and 15 game lead. Mets have 2 pennants in your history. Please make these posts when you make it to the playoffs or win the World Series. Even if your team has a better record than the yanks at seasons end and even if you do win the World Series unless you beat the Pinstripes for the Championship your team will always be worse than the Yankees.
27-2 my friends
1-0 in the last 15 yrs
And 1-0 straight up in the Subway World Series
56-43 straight up.
Jealousy is so ugly on Mets fans
Mets play in the weaker league and division.

Last edited:
C--Yankees. Mets catcher has yet to show anything and McCann while not great did hit 20+ HR and 75 RBI.
1B--Even. Duda really looks like he is coming into his own and Tex hasn't been the same since the injury
2B--Mets. Murphy is a mess in the field but he can hit. Drew is more of a glove guy right now but he does have power
3B--Even. Wright and Hedley are both most glove guys who are OK hitters
SS--Even. Both guys are pretty young and really haven't done anything yet in there careers.
LF--Yankees. Gardner is one of the best LF in the game
CF--Yankees. Lagarus can go get it in CF but Elsbury is pretty good himself and his a much better hitter.
RF--Mets--He's better than anyone the Yankees can put out there right now
SP--Even. Harvey is the best on either team, but Tanaka and Peina are 2 & 3. DeGrome #4, Evovli #5, followed by the rest of the Mets staff and then Warren and Sabathia.
RP--Yankees-Miller and Batance are head and shoulders better then anyone in the Mets pen.
Bench--Right now Yankees, but when Wright and D'Arnau come back the Mets bench gets pretty good.

If the Mets come back to win, the Yankees should be embarrassed. The Mets look like a minor league team.

They don't deserve to win this game.

LGM

Last edited:
I think you will see Matt Harvey wearing pinstripes when his current contract is up :)
There isn't a chance in hell of that happening. The Mets despite being too frugal for their own good in some ways will definitely find the money to keep him.

There isn't a chance in hell of that happening. The Mets despite being too frugal for their own good in some ways will definitely find the money to keep him.

"I’ve definitely sweat in a Mets uniform. And that’s my life. Right now, that’s who I play for.”

People should have to identify their prejudices if they're gonna claim one team is more interesting than the other

Well, I know who was the better team this weekend.
BTW, how many teams have the Mets beaten with a winning record ?

Mets are better - pitching wins the day 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

I don't know who will be better at the end of the year but i do know that i am always optimistic that the Mets and Rutgers will wn. I'd love to see another Subway Series and would expect a different outcome then 2000.

There's been studies that suggest that a SP starts to fall off in effectiveness 5-7 years after Tommy John surgery, so you'd have to wonder if it indeed makes sense for the Mets to offer a long term deal to Harvey in 2018. Anyway, that's a LOOONG time away so lets just enjoy the guy while he's here.

Even after this weekend, I'd say the Mets probably are the better team this season, just beause they're younger and the pitching on the whole looks like it's going to be stronger. But the Yankees are like Rasputin, so I wouldn't count them out.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Fir

First who gives at rats ass who has a bigger payroll? The question was who was the better team. The money being spent isn't coming out of your pocket or mine.

And your not much of a baseball fan to say that the Yankees model of making a roster is outdated. The success of the Yankees during the late 90s and early 2000 was more homegrown talent and trades.

Why is it that the same people who are Mets and RU fans are complete optimists about the Mets and crow about how good the Mets are or will be but generally are complete pessimists about RU and point out all of Rutgers flaws.

Further - they crow about the Mets frugal spending like it's a badge of honor and bash Rutgers frugal spending as a sign of impending doom.
You haven't visited any Mets msg boards if you think Met fans are happy in the slightest about the lack of spending.

Even though my Yankees took 2 out of 3 from the Mets, I would still have to give the edge to the Mets. It's really hard to predict where this Yankee team will be come September. They could be battling for first place in the division or for a possible wild card, or I could easily see them in 4th place. It's who stays healthy. If Beltran can turn it around. If they finally realize that CC is washed up and should go to the pen, and if the Yankees acquire a bat and a pitcher at the deadline.

I think the Mets are poised to make the playoffs. Now whether that's a division winner or a wild card that remains to be seen. The Nationals are loaded and have a great pitching staff, but so far they have started out terribly. So we shall see. I think the Mets' division will shake itself out by mid July.

How many teams with a winning record have the Mets beaten ?

Actually this doesn't mean squat. With Wright out your Mets have gone 10-2, so throw that stat out. As for your closer, that remains to be seen.

"I’ve definitely sweat in a Mets uniform. And that’s my life. Right now, that’s who I play for.”
Keep dreaming Abro. Lol.

By the way, it's still April. Even Hernandez was talking about the Nats being 8 games back already.
IT'S ONLY APRIL!

Keep dreaming Abro. Lol.

By the way, it's still April. Even Hernandez was talking about the Nats being 8 games back already.
IT'S ONLY APRIL!

Gray stork,
That's not my quote. The new site might be confusing you ( definitely confusing me).

Gray stork,
That's not my quote. The new site might be confusing you ( definitely confusing me).
th

That's ok Abro. I was reading your post that Harvey will wind up a Yankee. Or maybe the Yankees will end up paying millions for another Don Gullett, Kenny Rogers, Carl Pavano, or Kevin Youkilis. There's some Yankee history for you.

th

That's ok Abro. I was reading your post that Harvey will wind up a Yankee. Or maybe the Yankees will end up paying millions for another Don Gullett, Kenny Rogers, Carl Pavano, or Kevin Youkilis. There's some Yankee history for you.
I've never agreed with all of the Yankees acquisitions but as a Yankee fan you have to be happy with an organization that spends because they want to win. The Mets remain cheap skates and never overspend to win.

I've never agreed with all of the Yankees acquisitions but as a Yankee fan you have to be happy with an organization that spends because they want to win. The Mets remain cheap skates and never overspend to win.
Mets did overspend to win, in 2007.

They do randomly overspend, though (32 yr old Granderson: 4 yrs-60M, 35 yr old Cuddyer: 2 yrs-$23M)

Mets did overspend to win, in 2007.

They do randomly overspend, though (32 yr old Granderson: 4 yrs-60M, 35 yr old Cuddyer: 2 yrs-$23M)

I'm a lifelong Yankee fan. Grew up watching Mickey, Yogi, Whitey, Bauer, and the Moose.

IMO, the 2015 Mets are the better team. Better starting pitching and stronger lineup will carry the day over a 162 game season.

Couldn't care less about how much somebody spends. It ain't my money. Just win baby. If the Mets spent billions and won, I'd be just as happy as if they'd spend next to nothing. My point was for all the good players the Yankees have signed, they've signed just as many dogs. The proof is in the pudding. Historically the Yankees have won and that's all that matters. Alderson is finally getting a team that he built. It's now time to see how successful he can be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT