ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan, Maryland and PSU are MUST WINS

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
These squads don't have as much talent as we have, but that is changing rapidly, as they are all landing a TON of talent. Have to beat them while we still have the opportunity. We MUST create a positive impression in the minds of '17 recruits and maybe even flip a few '16 recruits. Can't afford to go 0 for NJ Top 10 in '17. Beating these three should give us the credibility we need to land more of Jerseys best.

The combined score of those 3 games last year was 77-75. Two of the three were at home at night. Why do you think you have more talent? Does that mean Flood underperformed?

2 of three are on the road, where RU will likely be more than a TD underdog on paper as of today (Pre-season lines/spread)....Maryland is the finale and who knows where either team will be after Thanksgiving and a stretch of games played with no bye and the nicks and bruises piled up.

RU is hopefully 5-4 or at worse 4-5 entering the final 3 games of the season, however they get to that stage would make a difference. To sweep all three (at PSU, at Michigan and home to MD), would mean that RU likely also wins at Indiana which would have them at 6-3 entering the final stretch of the season where you would be shooting for 8 or 9 wins.....I am as positive as anyone on RU football, but the stretch of games starting with Michigan State is as strong as any slate RU has played in a row without a bye week mixed in.

We would need significant improvement from Rossi as a DC from Year 1 to Year 2 to have that type of jump. I don't think offense will be RU's concern against PSU, Michigan or MD, there is enough balance to get first downs and move the ball...it will be getting off the field on 3rd down and that means playing a more aggressive defense, that requires other teams offenses to make plays, instead of playing pitch and catch against our CB's giving too much cushion.

The combined score of those 3 games last year was 77-75. Two of the three were at home at night. Why do you think you have more talent? Does that mean Flood underperformed?

pretty much this. RutgersAL is the king of hyperbole however.

These squads don't have as much talent as we have, but that is changing rapidly, as they are all landing a TON of talent. Have to beat them while we still have the opportunity. We MUST create a positive impression in the minds of '17 recruits and maybe even flip a few '16 recruits. Can't afford to go 0 for NJ Top 10 in '17. Beating these three should give us the credibility we need to land more of Jerseys best.
Well, we beat Michigan and Maryland and nearly beat PSU with many of the NJ 2016 Top 10 in attendance for the PSU & Michigan games. How much did that credibility help? The number 5 and number 7 guys committed to Michigan. The number 8 guy will probably go to Michigan as well.

Lets start up front, where your offensive line was a sieve last year allowing 44 sacks against, whereas rutgers OL allowed 19 sacks against, last year. while it is true that Rutgers lost 3 starters to graduation, our replacements have seen extensive playing time, and are an upgrade over last years starters. You lost your best linemen to the draft, and his replacement was very shaky in PSUs spring game.

OL play was also a key reason why Rutgers was #9 in the Big Ten Conference in rushing yards gained, whereas PSU was #14. This despite, rutgers playing a MUCH tougher cross division schedule (Wisconsin and Nebraska) Now I know PSU fans are very high on Saquan Barkley, but Barkley alone can't compete with the thoroughbreds we have in our stable, four of which have run for >100 yards in a game. AT WR, you have impressive talents, but you don't have the depth that we have. Saeed Blacknalls former teammate told me that he's poised for a big year this year, and I happen to agree. and I am also very impressed with desean hamilton, who led the conference in receptions. Chris Godwin is another talent I am very impressed with.

But our receivers are a notch above. Leonte Carroo is the leading returning B1G receiver in terms of yards/game and TDs, I expect him to be the BEST WR in college football. Andrea Patton, 6'4" was hurt much of last year, but came back to DESTROY both Maryland and North Carolina. Janarion Grant DESTROYED Maryland and Michigan. And 1 guy who hasn't done much of anything up till this point, Carlton Agudosi, 6'6", reminds me of Dwayne Jarrett, and he has the potential to have a similar impact, if he can eliminate his mental mistakes.

On defense, i feel we have slightly better talent than PSU, as y'all don't have a pass rusher like Turay, and you will miss Deion Barnes and the other end. I feel that zettel and hamilton are a wash.

no doubt, y'all have a decided advantage at qb, but last year, we showed the ability to mitigate his effectiveness, and I feel confident in our ability to do the same this year.

I feel that there are only two PSU players who could start for Rutgers: Zettel, who would split time with Hamilton, and Hackenberg. The rest just aren't up to our standards.

Had Rutgers played PSU at the end of last season, we would have beaten y'all by 21 MINIMUM. That loss still sticks in my craw. 5 ints was the difference in that game. Had we run the ball more, the outcome might have been different. Paul James averaged 3.6 ypc and Desmond Peoples averaged 4.0 ypc Last year. with the newcomers on your DLine, and the bolstered talent in our rb corp, I feel confident in our ability to run the ball down PSUs throat, especially given the newcomers on your DL.

Now I understand that you and your crew feel the opposite of the way that I do, and thats fair enough. we'll just have to see what happens on gameday.

Well, we beat Michigan and Maryland and nearly beat PSU with many of the NJ 2016 Top 10 in attendance for the PSU & Michigan games. How much did that credibility help? The number 5 and number 7 guys committed to Michigan. The number 8 guy will probably go to Michigan as well.

What we need is consistency. some recruits are probably thinking that the Michigan outcome was a fluke. Michigan replacing Hoke with Harbaugh has people believing that Michigan is better than Rutgers. We go up to ann arbor and hang 50 on Michigan, they sure as hell won't be getting the number 5 and number 7 guys next year.

Well since we only have 2 guys that would start for you, and we beat you at home at night, I guess the only answer is Franklin severely outcoached Flood

Reactions: Hotshoe and jup540
RutgersAL...you lose ALL credibility when you say things like comparing Agudosi to Dwayne Jarrett. And when you say only 2 ttfp guys could start for RU. ttfp has some good players. So do we. We will decide it on the field... Till then...hush! You're making us look foolish.

You are asking the wrong question. The question you should be asking is - what would have happened if we had lost to all three, or got blown out by one of them. Would our recruiting be worse than it is if we were 5-7. Im thinking yes.

Reactions: Noffas
I think we need to take 2 out of those 3 and sneak one more upset in there somewhere. No more excuses. With only one more year from Carroo, Hamilton, and maybe even Turay this program needs to take a step forward in 2015.

This gets me sick just thinking about it. So many say just win baby and the recruits will come. I don't see it. The kids going to Michigan are toast to me.

Rutgers Al is in fantasy land again.

In the eyes of recruits, we are much closer to Indiana and Maryland then freaking Michigan and Penn State. In fact, few schools are.

In the future that has a chance to change and thanks to being in the Big Ten instead of being stuck in the Big East or the AAC, Rutgers has a legit shot of being a big time national program, but we are not even close to that yet. Rutgers has come a long way and we are far, far, far better than what we used to be in the 1980's and 1990's. But, we still got a long way to go.

I don't think offense will be RU's concern against PSU, Michigan or MD, there is enough balance to get first downs and move the ball...
I disagree with you on that, particularly against PSU. Their D-Line last year gave us fits, and I don't see that changing significantly this year. Especially since we'll be playing them early in the season with an O-Line with 3 new starters, including at center (which I consider to be the brains of the O-Line). If we were playing them later in the year, I would not be as concerned. But in our 3rd game, on the road, at night, in front of 100K fans?

Lets start up front, where your offensive line was a sieve last year allowing 44 sacks against, whereas rutgers OL allowed 19 sacks against, last year. while it is true that Rutgers lost 3 starters to graduation, our replacements have seen extensive playing time, and are an upgrade over last years starters. You lost your best linemen to the draft, and his replacement was very shaky in PSUs spring game.

OL play was also a key reason why Rutgers was #9 in the Big Ten Conference in rushing yards gained, whereas PSU was #14. This despite, rutgers playing a MUCH tougher cross division schedule (Wisconsin and Nebraska) Now I know PSU fans are very high on Saquan Barkley, but Barkley alone can't compete with the thoroughbreds we have in our stable, four of which have run for >100 yards in a game. AT WR, you have impressive talents, but you don't have the depth that we have. Saeed Blacknalls former teammate told me that he's poised for a big year this year, and I happen to agree. and I am also very impressed with desean hamilton, who led the conference in receptions. Chris Godwin is another talent I am very impressed with.

But our receivers are a notch above. Leonte Carroo is the leading returning B1G receiver in terms of yards/game and TDs, I expect him to be the BEST WR in college football. Andrea Patton, 6'4" was hurt much of last year, but came back to DESTROY both Maryland and North Carolina. Janarion Grant DESTROYED Maryland and Michigan. And 1 guy who hasn't done much of anything up till this point, Carlton Agudosi, 6'6", reminds me of Dwayne Jarrett, and he has the potential to have a similar impact, if he can eliminate his mental mistakes.

On defense, i feel we have slightly better talent than PSU, as y'all don't have a pass rusher like Turay, and you will miss Deion Barnes and the other end. I feel that zettel and hamilton are a wash.

no doubt, y'all have a decided advantage at qb, but last year, we showed the ability to mitigate his effectiveness, and I feel confident in our ability to do the same this year.

I feel that there are only two PSU players who could start for Rutgers: Zettel, who would split time with Hamilton, and Hackenberg. The rest just aren't up to our standards.

Had Rutgers played PSU at the end of last season, we would have beaten y'all by 21 MINIMUM. That loss still sticks in my craw. 5 ints was the difference in that game. Had we run the ball more, the outcome might have been different. Paul James averaged 3.6 ypc and Desmond Peoples averaged 4.0 ypc Last year. with the newcomers on your DLine, and the bolstered talent in our rb corp, I feel confident in our ability to run the ball down PSUs throat, especially given the newcomers on your DL.

Now I understand that you and your crew feel the opposite of the way that I do, and thats fair enough. we'll just have to see what happens on gameday.

STFU lmao

You nailed it Al! Hopefully I can get rid of my tickets before everyone else figures it out as well.

Well since we only have 2 guys that would start for you, and we beat you at home at night, I guess the only answer is Franklin severely outcoached Flood

No the answer is our QB threw 5 interceptions.

I disagree with you on that, particularly against PSU. Their D-Line last year gave us fits, and I don't see that changing significantly this year. Especially since we'll be playing them early in the season with an O-Line with 3 new starters, including at center (which I consider to be the brains of the O-Line). If we were playing them later in the year, I would not be as concerned. But in our 3rd game, on the road, at night, in front of 100K fans?

50% of their DLine starters will be all new as Deion Barnes and C.J.Olaniyan graduated. This will allow us to pay more attention to Zettel, who had a great game against us last year. Furthermore, their star MLB Mike Hull also graduated. This guy led their defense with 9 tackles against us last year. these are the biggest reasons why i don't think their defense will be as good this year.

Rutgers Al is in fantasy land again.
In the eyes of recruits, we are much closer to Indiana and Maryland then freaking Michigan and Penn State. In fact, few schools are.

So what. we're going to change recruits minds, one at a time. there was a time, where we couldn't recruit against syracuse and pittsburgh. 2005 happens, 2006 happens, and all of a sudden we're getting our share against them. I see the same happening in subsequent years when we go up against Michigan and PSU.

In the future that has a chance to change and thanks to being in the Big Ten instead of being stuck in the Big East or the AAC, Rutgers has a legit shot of being a big time national program, but we are not even close to that yet. Rutgers has come a long way and we are far, far, far better than what we used to be in the 1980's and 1990's. But, we still got a long way to go

Last I checked, we have the leading returning receiver in yardage in the big ten, who should go in the top 3 rounds in next years draft. we've got four backs capable of running for 100 yards/game. We have a high round draft pick at left tackle. we've got an all conference caliber 3tech. we have a space eating athletic NT in Kevin Wilkins. we finally have a run stuffing MLB who did well in the SEC when he wasn't injured. we got OLBs who are productive. we've got corners capable of playing press man. we've got vastly upgraded safetys capable of laying the wood.

Its true that last year, we were close to Michigan and Penn State.
This year, I think we're closer to Michigan State than we are to Penn State and Michigan, whose lines are suspect.

So what. we're going to change recruits minds, one at a time. there was a time, where we couldn't recruit against syracuse and pittsburgh. 2005 happens, 2006 happens, and all of a sudden we're getting our share against them. I see the same happening in subsequent years when we go up against Michigan and PSU.

Last I checked, we have the leading returning receiver in yardage in the big ten, who should go in the top 3 rounds in next years draft. we've got four backs capable of running for 100 yards/game. We have a high round draft pick at left tackle. we've got an all conference caliber 3tech. we have a space eating athletic NT in Kevin Wilkins. we finally have a run stuffing MLB who did well in the SEC when he wasn't injured. we got OLBs who are productive. we've got corners capable of playing press man. we've got vastly upgraded safetys capable of laying the wood.

This year, I think we're closer to Michigan State than we are to Penn State and Michigan, whose lines are suspect.
All 100% true Al. Damn true.

I sure hope you are 100% correct. But, I just do not see it. I really, really want to be proven wrong.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

All 100% true Al. Damn true.

I can see you smirking from NYC.

its been 10 years since PSU last played in a BCS bowl.

interestingly enough, PSU and Pitt both finished 6-6 last year during the regular season. thats why the way I look at PSU right now, is that PSU is Pitt with tons more fan support. there was a time when we couldn't beat Pitt for any recruit that we wanted. After we beat them in '05 and '06, we got our share. I'm hopeful for a similar outcome.

...On defense, i feel we have slightly better talent than PSU, as y'all don't have a pass rusher like Turay, and you will miss Deion Barnes and the other end. I feel that zettel and hamilton are a wash.

I feel that there are only two PSU players who could start for Rutgers: Zettel, who would split time with Hamilton, and Hackenberg. The rest just aren't up to our standards....

Are you serious with this statement or just looking to get a reaction?

In case you are serious, I'm not sure anyone on your defense would start for PSU, including Hamilton and Turay. That's not to say they wouldn't play or be significant contributors but does Hamilton start over Zettel? Doubt it, Zettel is bigger 275 vs. 255 and more production. He's a completely different type of player than Austin Johnson (space eater) so I don't see him starting there either. As for Turay ,can he stop the run one 1st and 2nd downs? No doubt he'd be in the game on 3rd downs or passing situations but has he developed enough as a player to start? That's the metric you're using. I think Nassib and Sickles both start over Turay because of that.

Linebackers - You might get a starter here filing in the hole Mike Hull left when he graduated but I don't see any of your backers beating out Brandon Bell or Wartman-White.

Secondary - You're not even sure who your starting CB are at this point while we have more talent here than maybe any PSU team has ever had. Some of it is young but they have experience. My take would be the most of RU Nation thinks Hester is going to be pretty good and he might be but would he start over Jordan Lucas or Marcus Allen who both have experience (Lucas, a lot; Allen about 6 games) Our 1st team CB (including nickel) are set: Trevor Williams (Sr multi year starter), Haley (So w/ experience), and Campbell (so. w/ experience)

By every metric out there we return most (Hull is only starter who has a question mark replacing him) of our top 10 rated defense. I just don't how you can reasonably think RU talent on D is slightly better?

On offense you'd fair much better, but in addition to Hack any one of our 3 TE (Carter, Breneman, Gesicki) would start for you. Even with OL being a weakness Andrew Nelson likely would start somewhere (RG, RT) on your line. You seem pretty convinced about your running back & receivers, so I'll give you that. Just don't be surprised at the end of the year if our skill players look pretty good.

Reactions: Hotshoe
I do not think RutgersAl is in fantasy land. If Flood is going to be the coach here for the long haul, he needs to find away to establish Rutgers as a middle of the pack Big Ten team. People are already making excuses for why we will lose. Its not that we SHOULD win. Obviously they were all close games last year. Its that we NEED to start winning these games before we become a bottom of the league type of team. We NEED to win these games to stem the tide of the best recruits from our area going to those schools.

Reactions: bac2therac
I can see you smirking from NYC.

its been 10 years since PSU last played in a BCS bowl.

interestingly enough, PSU and Pitt both finished 6-6 last year during the regular season. thats why the way I look at PSU right now, is that PSU is Pitt with tons more fan support. there was a time when we couldn't beat Pitt for any recruit that we wanted. After we beat them in '05 and '06, we got our share. I'm hopeful for a similar outcome.
It's been 7 years since our last BCS game, but that really isn't helping your case much for several reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: jup540
cjrugger said:
( I say typical BS by cjrugge, showing he considers RU PSU's major rival and can't bring himself to discuss that game
without a petty putdown because > at one time< a RU fan hurt his itty-bitty feelings [jumpingsmile] )

No the answer is our QB threw 5 interceptions.

That was the bad Nova that RU seen the last 3 years.
He improved and deserves all the credit in the world for the way RU played most of their games last year, but in the PSU game he didn't show that improvement .
The Nits did a good job keeping RU's running game honest and harassing Gary.
Rutgers D played great and kept RU in the game ( PSU's D the same).
In the end Penn St pulled it out and (no excuses) RU lost.
Wasn't poor coaching, it was , between two evenly matched teams one of them won.
Coaching job done by both HCs might have been better, but can't say either out coached the other.
Some games can go either way, this was one of them that didn't go RU's way.

Reactions: getmyjive11

In case you are serious, I'm not sure anyone on your defense would start for PSU, including Hamilton and Turay. That's not to say they wouldn't play or be significant contributors but does Hamilton start over Zettel? Doubt it, Zettel is bigger 275 vs. 255 and more production. He's a completely different type of player than Austin Johnson (space eater) so I don't see him starting there either. As for Turay ,can he stop the run one 1st and 2nd downs? No doubt he'd be in the game on 3rd downs or passing situations but has he developed enough as a player to start? That's the metric you're using. I think Nassib and Sickles both start over Turay because of that.

Linebackers - You might get a starter here filing in the hole Mike Hull left when he graduated but I don't see any of your backers beating out Brandon Bell or Wartman-White.

Secondary - You're not even sure who your starting CB are at this point while we have more talent here than maybe any PSU team has ever had. Some of it is young but they have experience. My take would be the most of RU Nation thinks Hester is going to be pretty good and he might be but would he start over Jordan Lucas or Marcus Allen who both have experience (Lucas, a lot; Allen about 6 games) Our 1st team CB (including nickel) are set: Trevor Williams (Sr multi year starter), Haley (So w/ experience), and Campbell (so. w/ experience)

By every metric out there we return most (Hull is only starter who has a question mark replacing him) of our top 10 rated defense. I just don't how you can reasonably think RU talent on D is slightly better?

On offense you'd fair much better, but in addition to Hack any one of our 3 TE (Carter, Breneman, Gesicki) would start for you. Even with OL being a weakness Andrew Nelson likely would start somewhere (RG, RT) on your line. You seem pretty convinced about your running back & receivers, so I'll give you that. Just don't be surprised at the end of the year if our skill players look pretty good.

I think he is trying to get a reaction. When he called Wilkins a space eater (when Wilkins hasn't even seen the field yet), I just shook my head.

But in response to our players not seeing the field on your defense. I disagree with Turay not starting. If you had a choice between Turay or your guys for all downs, you'd have to take Turay's upside. Also any defensive coordinator would find a way to get both Hamilton and Zettel on the field. I think Zettel is better, but both boys can play. Longa starts on your defense. I don't know if you know enough about Mera to judge that he couldn't play on your defense, but I also don't really know much about your defensive ends.

Your tight ends are disgusting. And they are going to be a problem. Conversely, if Laviano has progressed as much as it looked like it did at the spring game, our balance is going to be tough.

I think he is trying to get a reaction. When he called Wilkins a space eater (when Wilkins hasn't even seen the field yet), I just shook my head.

But in response to our players not seeing the field on your defense. I disagree with Turay not starting. If you had a choice between Turay or your guys for all downs, you'd have to take Turay's upside. Also any defensive coordinator would find a way to get both Hamilton and Zettel on the field. I think Zettel is better, but both boys can play. Longa starts on your defense. I don't know if you know enough about Mera to judge that he couldn't play on your defense, but I also don't really know much about your defensive ends.

Your tight ends are disgusting. And they are going to be a problem. Conversely, if Laviano has progressed as much as it looked like it did at the spring game, our balance is going to be tough.

Oh I absolutely think Turay would play on the passing downs over our DEs but Al was talking starters. I don't think Turay starts over either of our DEs. Choosing between our guys or Turay for all downs is not an equivalent option in my mind because there's nothing that says you couldn't play Sickles or Nassib on 1nd & 2nd Down and bring Turay in on 3rd/passing situations. What might happen is Hamilton could see time at DE on 1st and 2nd, kick down to DT for 3rd for Johnson with Turay coming in on at DE. I know Hamilton is really good I just don't see him starting at DT for us. That's not a knock on Hamilton at all just an indication of how good our guys are.

I agree with you that Zettel would start, but Hamilton would play. Turay has been doing work this offseason, and he will play all three downs. I expect Turays sophomore campaign to mirror Joey Bosas sophomore season, which was this past year. Ultimately Turays expected productivity is the biggest reason why I expect Rutgers defense to be better than PSUs. Mera is a fifth year senior who has gotten progressively better each year.Sickles and Nassib just aren't on the same level yet. Similarly, Kevin Wilkins is more explosive than Austin Johnson, who had 1 assisted tackle against Rutgers last year. He hasn't played yet, but should shine, as he is the best Bergen County NG since BJ Raji.

Longa was more productive than Wartman last year, and Gause wasn't far behind Wartman. I'm guessing Bell was a reserve last year as he is nowhere to be found on the list of top B1G tacklers.

I'm just gonna say that I wouldn't trade our secondary for any other in the conference.

As for tight end, none of yours block as effectively as Nick Arcidiacono. Just ask the OSU defender whom he took out, spurring our Back to a 31 yard gain. Last yeAr he wasn't called on to catch passes much, but this year he figures to have a much more prominent role in the passing game.

Forgetting the content...the basic premisise is correct if you want Ru to be 8-4

For Rutgers to be 8-4 and get one if the tier 2 bowls...if means going 7-1 against the 8 "easier" games...and stealing one against Nebraska, wisky, ohio state and Michigan state

That means the road to 8-4/4-4 means most likely sweeping the out of confrence sxhedule...beating Indiana....

And taking 3 of 4 against Maryland,
Nebraska, at penn state and at Michigan

to have any impact on changing recruits thinking of Rutgers, I do agree with all they are all must wins

winning just 1 or none would not be good although excuses will be made Im sure.

for forward progress to keep going RU cannot afford to miss out on a bowl this year

ADVERTISEMENT