ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan, Maryland and PSU are MUST WINS

Another thread where Al doesn't even use facts, gets called out, and continues to look like a attention whore all while making himself and RU fans look like morons. Thanks for brining more PSU fans over Albert.

Reactions: Noffas
I agree with you that Zettel would start, but Hamilton would play. Turay has been doing work this offseason, and he will play all three downs. I expect Turays sophomore campaign to mirror Joey Bosas sophomore season, which was this past year. Ultimately Turays expected productivity is the biggest reason why I expect Rutgers defense to be better than PSUs. Mera is a fifth year senior who has gotten progressively better each year.Sickles and Nassib just aren't on the same level yet. Similarly, Kevin Wilkins is more explosive than Austin Johnson, who had 1 assisted tackle against Rutgers last year. He hasn't played yet, but should shine, as he is the best Bergen County NG since BJ Raji.

Longa was more productive than Wartman last year, and Gause wasn't far behind Wartman. I'm guessing Bell was a reserve last year as he is nowhere to be found on the list of top B1G tacklers.

I'm just gonna say that I wouldn't trade our secondary for any other in the conference.

As for tight end, none of yours block as effectively as Nick Arcidiacono. Just ask the OSU defender whom he took out, spurring our Back to a 31 yard gain. Last yeAr he wasn't called on to catch passes much, but this year he figures to have a much more prominent role in the passing game.[/QUOTE

Oh Albert, please don't ever change.

Reactions: pnnylion
I agree with you that Zettel would start, but Hamilton would play. Turay has been doing work this offseason, and he will play all three downs. I expect Turays sophomore campaign to mirror Joey Bosas sophomore season, which was this past year. Ultimately Turays expected productivity is the biggest reason why I expect Rutgers defense to be better than PSUs. Mera is a fifth year senior who has gotten progressively better each year.Sickles and Nassib just aren't on the same level yet. Similarly, Kevin Wilkins is more explosive than Austin Johnson, who had 1 assisted tackle against Rutgers last year. He hasn't played yet, but should shine, as he is the best Bergen County NG since BJ Raji.

Longa was more productive than Wartman last year, and Gause wasn't far behind Wartman. I'm guessing Bell was a reserve last year as he is nowhere to be found on the list of top B1G tacklers.

I'm just gonna say that I wouldn't trade our secondary for any other in the conference.

As for tight end, none of yours block as effectively as Nick Arcidiacono. Just ask the OSU defender whom he took out, spurring our Back to a 31 yard gain. Last yeAr he wasn't called on to catch passes much, but this year he figures to have a much more prominent role in the passing game.

Mr. Al,

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.

Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

Good. Our upgraded secondary is one of the biggest reasons why we will win, and you will lose.

What positions in your secondary have been upgraded? What makes you so confident that it has been upgraded?

Looking over some of the national rankings for your defense it seems there needs to be a significant improvement if you guys are going to move closer to MSU and challenge for the B1G title. I think in order for Rutgers to really make a move you need to be at least in the top 30 in the flowing categories.

Here is your ranking from last season:

Team Passing Efficiency Defense – 90

Passing Yards Allowed - 69

Rushing Defense - 106

Total Team Defense - 98

Do you have faith that your DC is the right guy for the job? Would you be in favor of Flood making a change at DC if the numbers don't improve this year?

I don't doubt that Rutgers has a couple of weapons on D. The NFL scouts seem to think so as well. But I still question whether you have enough depth right now.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
cjrugger said:
Well since we only have 2 guys that would start for you, and we beat you at home at night, I guess the only answer is Franklin severely outcoached Flood
( I say typical BS by cjrugge, showing he considers RU PSU's major rival and can't bring himself to discuss that game
without a petty putdown because > at one time< a RU fan hurt his itty-bitty feelings [jumpingsmile] )

That was the bad Nova that RU seen the last 3 years.
He improved and deserves all the credit in the world for the way RU played most of their games last year, but in the PSU game he didn't show that improvement .
The Nits did a good job keeping RU's running game honest and harassing Gary.
Rutgers D played great and kept RU in the game ( PSU's D the same).
In the end Penn St pulled it out and (no excuses) RU lost.
Wasn't poor coaching, it was , between two evenly matched teams one of them won.
Coaching job done by both HCs might have been better, but can't say either out coached the other.
Some games can go either way, this was one of them that didn't go RU's way.

wow...this is the most reasonable post I've seen outta ya. agreed with everything you said.

Last edited:
Aren't you down 2 starters? Felony armed robbery and academically ineligible?

Not a big deal as we have terrific secondary depth, unlike previous seasons. they were the projected starters, but weren't necessarily going to be the opening day starters, as there are other people they would have been competing against. Just like the same situation where everyone expects Paris Palmer is expected to be PSUs left tackle, but it could be someone else come opening day.

last years opening day starter, Dre Boggs got hurt early in the season, and kind of lost his place. He is now the projected starter. the other starter is up in the air, but i'm expecting him to be blessaun austin, who has great ball skills, though it could be one of our other redshirts.

Not a big deal as we have terrific secondary depth, unlike previous seasons. they were the projected starters, but weren't necessarily going to be the opening day starters, as there are other people they would have been competing against. Just like the same situation where everyone expects Paris Palmer is expected to be PSUs left tackle, but it could be someone else come opening day.

last years opening day starter, Dre Boggs got hurt early in the season, and kind of lost his place. He is now the projected starter. the other starter is up in the air, but i'm expecting him to be blessaun austin, who has great ball skills, though it could be one of our other redshirts.

Al,

I want us to win more than anything but I don't know what you mean by all this secondary depth... we were pulling RB's to play corner last year and we lost a bunch of guys to graduation/idiot mistakes. The secondary is my biggest reason for concern this year playing in the same division as QB's like Cook, Hack, and the Ohio State Trio. If we can't pressure the QB, I'm terrified of our secondary.
Yes, Hester is a nice get but he's never played a down of college football.

Your also talking about Rutgers having all this depth at WR and yet besides Caroo we have NO ONE whose done a thing, PLUS we have a QB whose never started a college game in his life (no matter who the starter may be).

Maybe you have a ton of faith in our incoming recruits, i don't know but I sure hope your right about us...

OK fans of other teams. I will set you straight as Rutgers Al is giving me a migraine with his nonsense.

We are looking down one starter at corner due to academic ineligibility, though Flood won't speak on it until after summer session. So we probably have false hope that he is returning. Our other starter will most likely be Dre Boggs, a true sophomore who showed a lot of promise last year. We lost a guy fighting for the nickle spot to criminal issues. We have some interchangable pieces in Delon Stephenson and Anthony Cioffi who had growing pains, but have showed signs of taking the next step at nickle and safety and being good players. The other safety spot will either be Kiy Hester, who came with a lot of fanfare, and Davon Jacobs, who has not had the opportunity to contribute yet.

So the truth is we have guys who have experience and have taken their lumps as freshmen and sophomores. Now these guys are at the age where they need to step up as they aren't underclassmen anymore. They either will sink or swim.

A the end of the day it is stupid debating who on our defense could start for you or who on your defense could start for us. It's July. All that matters is whose talent and off-season preparation has them playing better in Sept-Dec.

There are no must win conference games in the sense that not winning a game in a given season will greatly affect recruiting. Guys, at some point we are going to lose to Indiana, Maryland, PSU, Michigan, Northwestern, Iowa, and every other member of the conference. What we don't want is to lose consistently to a team such as Maryland or PSU, that will affect recruiting over the long term.

Reactions: FlintTown
Al,

I want us to win more than anything but I don't know what you mean by all this secondary depth... we were pulling RB's to play corner last year and we lost a bunch of guys to graduation/idiot mistakes. The secondary is my biggest reason for concern this year playing in the same division as QB's like Cook, Hack, and the Ohio State Trio. If we can't pressure the QB, I'm terrified of our secondary.
Yes, Hester is a nice get but he's never played a down of college football.

this year is not last year. We are in much better position depth wise in the secondary, even with the recent attrition.

FS
Delon Stephenson
Anthony Ciofffi
Andre Hunt

SS
Davon Jacobs
Kiy Hester
Najee Clayton

CB #1
Dre Boggs
Isaiah Wharton
Anthony Cioffi

CB #2
Blessaun Austin
Ronnie James
Jarious Adams

Al,

Your also talking about Rutgers having all this depth at WR and yet besides Caroo we have NO ONE whose done a thing, PLUS we have a QB whose never started a college game in his life (no matter who the starter may be).

This is flat out baloney. Patton was injured much of last year, but had over 100 receiving yards against Maryland and almost as many against UNC. Grant had huge games against Michigan and Maryland. Agudosi is the only one who hasn't done much, but that will change this season.

What positions in your secondary have been upgraded? What makes you so confident that it has been upgraded?

Looking over some of the national rankings for your defense it seems there needs to be a significant improvement if you guys are going to move closer to MSU and challenge for the B1G title. I think in order for Rutgers to really make a move you need to be at least in the top 30 in the flowing categories.

Here is your ranking from last season:

Team Passing Efficiency Defense – 90

Passing Yards Allowed - 69

Rushing Defense - 106

Total Team Defense - 98

Do you have faith that your DC is the right guy for the job? Would you be in favor of Flood making a change at DC if the numbers don't improve this year?

I don't doubt that Rutgers has a couple of weapons on D. The NFL scouts seem to think so as well. But I still question whether you have enough depth right now.

Thoughts?

I thought our dc did the best job possible, with what he had. the problem here wasn't the defense, it was the offense, which did virtually nothing against OSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and MSU, skewing the numbers. in those contests, the offense hung the defense out to dry and the defense ultimately tired and broke. Thats why our rankings are awful.

this year, there will be increased emphasis on running the ball and since we will be in better position to do so, i think we'll be able to hold onto the ball more against better teams, which ultimately should improve our defensive rankings.

Nevertheless, we've significantly upgraded our personnel on defense:

- Kemoko Turay has developed into an every down lineman and should be one of the top DE's in the B1G
- NG Kevin Wilkins is a 290+ lb space eater who is ready to go after redshirting last year
- MLB Kaiwan Lewis is a better run stuffer than the guy last year, who played hurt
- SS - Kiy Hester has better instincts and athleticism than the guy he replaces
- CB - Blessaun Austin has tremendous ball skills and I expect to see more press coverage this year, making things more difficult for our opponents

I thought our dc did the best job possible, with what he had. the problem here wasn't the defense, it was the offense, which did virtually nothing against OSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and MSU, skewing the numbers. in those contests, the offense hung the defense out to dry and the defense ultimately tired and broke. Thats why our rankings are awful.

this year, there will be increased emphasis on running the ball and since we will be in better position to do so, i think we'll be able to hold onto the ball more against better teams, which ultimately should improve our defensive rankings.

Nevertheless, we've significantly upgraded our personnel on defense:

- Kemoko Turay has developed into an every down lineman and should be one of the top DE's in the B1G
- NG Kevin Wilkins is a 290+ lb space eater who is ready to go after redshirting last year
- MLB Kaiwan Lewis is a better run stuffer than the guy last year, who played hurt
- SS - Kiy Hester has better instincts and athleticism than the guy he replaces
- CB - Blessaun Austin has tremendous ball skills and I expect to see more press coverage this year, making things more difficult for our opponents

Wilkins, Hester and Austin have never played a single down of college football. How in the world do you know anything about them. Lewis is the only one that played a lot and he has not been the same player since the knee injury. We won't know if Turay has developed into an every down linemen until he actual plays every down.

These squads don't have as much talent as we have, but that is changing rapidly, as they are all landing a TON of talent. Have to beat them while we still have the opportunity. We MUST create a positive impression in the minds of '17 recruits and maybe even flip a few '16 recruits. Can't afford to go 0 for NJ Top 10 in '17. Beating these three should give us the credibility we need to land more of Jerseys best.
Hey Al,

Tell me the date and time you want to meet at our usual place.

Hey Al,

Tell me the date and time you want to meet at our usual place.

Great minds think alike.

17411d1296838733-georgia-republican-wants-abolish-drivers-batshit-crazy-smiley.gif

These squads don't have as much talent as we have, but that is changing rapidly, as they are all landing a TON of talent. Have to beat them while we still have the opportunity. We MUST create a positive impression in the minds of '17 recruits and maybe even flip a few '16 recruits. Can't afford to go 0 for NJ Top 10 in '17. Beating these three should give us the credibility we need to land more of Jerseys best.

Love your passion . Your Homerism and RU rose colored glasses are way over the top.
We have more "talent" than them is totally ludicrous .
And can't go for 0 for Top 10 NJ in 2017 ??? Kidding right ?
Flood has gone 0 for 10 over the last 3 years in New Jersey. Talk of Dream Team in '16 was just that.
It's not happening with the current staff....

Forget winning at Michigan this year. I think they have a better chance to possibly knock off Nebraska at home. PSU will be tough on the road, don't really see that one either. WSU is a must win, RU needs all 4 OOC games and I hoping for 2...maybe 3 conference wins. 7-5 tops this year.

This is flat out baloney. Patton was injured much of last year, but had over 100 receiving yards against Maryland and almost as many against UNC. Grant had huge games against Michigan and Maryland. Agudosi is the only one who hasn't done much, but that will change this season.

Your basing huge numbers on 2 games? what is ur season prediction for our final record?

Lets start up front, where your offensive line was a sieve last year allowing 44 sacks against, whereas rutgers OL allowed 19 sacks against, last year. while it is true that Rutgers lost 3 starters to graduation, our replacements have seen extensive playing time, and are an upgrade over last years starters. You lost your best linemen to the draft, and his replacement was very shaky in PSUs spring game.

OL play was also a key reason why Rutgers was #9 in the Big Ten Conference in rushing yards gained, whereas PSU was #14. This despite, rutgers playing a MUCH tougher cross division schedule (Wisconsin and Nebraska) Now I know PSU fans are very high on Saquan Barkley, but Barkley alone can't compete with the thoroughbreds we have in our stable, four of which have run for >100 yards in a game. AT WR, you have impressive talents, but you don't have the depth that we have. Saeed Blacknalls former teammate told me that he's poised for a big year this year, and I happen to agree. and I am also very impressed with desean hamilton, who led the conference in receptions. Chris Godwin is another talent I am very impressed with.

But our receivers are a notch above. Leonte Carroo is the leading returning B1G receiver in terms of yards/game and TDs, I expect him to be the BEST WR in college football. Andrea Patton, 6'4" was hurt much of last year, but came back to DESTROY both Maryland and North Carolina. Janarion Grant DESTROYED Maryland and Michigan. And 1 guy who hasn't done much of anything up till this point, Carlton Agudosi, 6'6", reminds me of Dwayne Jarrett, and he has the potential to have a similar impact, if he can eliminate his mental mistakes.

On defense, i feel we have slightly better talent than PSU, as y'all don't have a pass rusher like Turay, and you will miss Deion Barnes and the other end. I feel that zettel and hamilton are a wash.

no doubt, y'all have a decided advantage at qb, but last year, we showed the ability to mitigate his effectiveness, and I feel confident in our ability to do the same this year.

I feel that there are only two PSU players who could start for Rutgers: Zettel, who would split time with Hamilton, and Hackenberg. The rest just aren't up to our standards.

Had Rutgers played PSU at the end of last season, we would have beaten y'all by 21 MINIMUM. That loss still sticks in my craw. 5 ints was the difference in that game. Had we run the ball more, the outcome might have been different. Paul James averaged 3.6 ypc and Desmond Peoples averaged 4.0 ypc Last year. with the newcomers on your DLine, and the bolstered talent in our rb corp, I feel confident in our ability to run the ball down PSUs throat, especially given the newcomers on your DL.

Now I understand that you and your crew feel the opposite of the way that I do, and thats fair enough. we'll just have to see what happens on gameday.
Stop it you are embarrassing yourself.

Your basing huge numbers on 2 games? what is ur season prediction for our final record?

I felt Pattons output in his last two games reflected his development over the course of his career. I expect him to pick up where he left off in 2014. Not yet ready to provide a season prediction but needless to say, I'm bullish on our prospects.

Forget winning at Michigan this year. I think they have a better chance to possibly knock off Nebraska at home. PSU will be tough on the road, don't really see that one either. WSU is a must win, RU needs all 4 OOC games and I hoping for 2...maybe 3 conference wins. 7-5 tops this year.

With the way Nebraska straight up whooped our front 7, it's difficult for me to see how PSU and Michigan will be tougher games. In fact, I think Nebraska, Wisconsin, MSU, and OSU will be difficult games for us. Nebraska and Wisconsin in particular brought a level of physicality we just couldn't match, last year. There were times I thought some of our players were playing on roller skates.

Michigan and PSU are games we need to win because they don't have a lot of talent and depth, though they have a great coaches who will eventually change that.

1-2, at best in those 3 games. Most likely win is Maryland.

RU was pretty much a non-factor in big time road environments last year getting trounced by MSU, Nebraska and OSU. PSU and UM are not easy places to play. If RU was playing Michigan earlier I'd think they had a better chance given a new coach and system but UM should be starting to get their legs by Nov.

1-2, at best in those 3 games. Most likely win is Maryland.

RU was pretty much a non-factor in big time road environments last year getting trounced by MSU, Nebraska and OSU. PSU and UM are not easy places to play. If RU was playing Michigan earlier I'd think they had a better chance given a new coach and system but UM should be starting to get their legs by Nov.

There is a big difference between Michigan this year and MSU, Nebraska, and OSU last year, the level of talent and the peak physical condition of that talent. It will take some time before Michigan is once again formidable at home and on the level of an MSU, OSU, or Nebraska.

If I had to rank our games from least difficult to most difficult, the ranking would go something like this:

Oct. 17, 2015 at Indiana 3:30 pm ET | Tickets
Nov. 28, 2015 Maryland
Nov. 7, 2015 at Michigan TBA | Tickets
Sept. 19, 2015 at Penn State 8:00 pm ET | Tickets
Nov. 14, 2015 Nebraska TBA | Tickets
Oct. 10, 2015 Michigan State 8:00 pm ET | Tickets
Oct. 31, 2015 at Wisconsin TBA | Tickets
Oct. 24, 2015 Ohio State 8:00 pm ET | Tickets

I never said UM was on that level yet. Just pointing out that RU was dreadful in big tough environments. You barely beat a crap UM team at home but you should expected to beat UM on the road when they have a better coach now?

You need a reality check.

ADVERTISEMENT