ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Williams

Never know if a kid will play better or worse then those in the know expect.
I'll just hope Williams and Goode prove that true ( the better part ).

Mike just has to regain confidence in his shot and trust his abilities as a shooter. He seems to have a very high bball IQ and can contribute in many ways.
Look forward to seeing him develop into a good player.
Mike was never a "great" shooter prior to college when he was defended by quality players who were significantly taller than him. He was savvy enough to pass the ball or attempt to drive in those circumstances. Of course in high school there were only a few quality players that had a size advantage over him.

This issue is exacerbated in college. He is short for his position. That could be offset by above average athleticism, but Mike is only average at best in that regard. He is simply neither tall nor quick. Accordingly, he has to rush his shot. In high school this was generally not a problem, but with taller, more athletic players that he faces most nights in college, it is far tougher for him to be a quality shooter at this level. He needs more time to get off his shot and that impacts his mechanics. It may be subtle, but at this level a subtle alteration of your mechanics is usually deadly.

With additional experience, there may be some modest improvement. It is highly unlikely that he will ever be a good shooter on a consistent basis in college because his lack of size and quickness cannot be overcome.

Give him credit for improving his defense and overall court awareness. The coaches and Mike have done a good job in that regard.

Bdodger,
Name me 5 guys in college basketball who can consistently hit outside shots while being closely defended. It's not easy because a vast majority of players only hit shots with open looks. That's all we need Mike Williams to do is hit some open shots each game. I think he can do it but you seem to be the Oracle who can predict a player's ceiling right away, which is really amazing. Why don't you become an NBA scout or a big time college recruiter? Maybe you already are?

Mike just has to regain confidence in his shot and trust his abilities as a shooter. He seems to have a very high bball IQ and can contribute in many ways.
Look forward to seeing him develop into a good player.

Bdodger,
Name me 5 guys in college basketball who can consistently hit outside shots while being closely defended. It's not easy because a vast majority of players only hit shots with open looks. That's all we need Mike Williams to do is hit some open shots each game. I think he can do it but you seem to be the Oracle who can predict a player's ceiling right away, which is really amazing. Why don't you become an NBA scout or a big time college recruiter? Maybe you already are?

Mountie....Absolutely......as previously stated.......Guys in the college game do not beat their man off the dribble to take a 3 point shot. If they do, it's a bad forced shot.

I really don't know Bdodger....but, how can a guy claim to have seen hundreds of games by "one" NYC players since he was in the 8th grade.....hmmm

Last edited:
Mountie....Absolutely......as previously stated.......Guys in the college game do not beat their man off the dribble to take a 3 point shot. If they do, it's a bad forced shot.

I really don't know Bdodger....but, how can a guy claim to have seen hundreds of games by "one" NYC players since he was in the 8th grade.....hmmm

Choppin - Because my son and Mike played together from the time they were very young. If you actually read my post I said I have known Mike since he was eight years old, not since eighth grade.

Mountie - I guess anyone who holds an opinion you do not share is subject to your sarcasm rather than a legitimate discussion. Thats fine.

this sort of confirms what I thought, Williams = Juel Wiggan

bdodger--can any of the guys who signed surprise? you see that with other programs and I think we need someone who surprises and is a lot better than what was thought coming in...

this sort of confirms what I thought, Williams = Juel Wiggan

bdodger--can any of the guys who signed surprise? you see that with other programs and I think we need someone who surprises and is a lot better than what was thought coming in...

Scarletrat - I think Freeman will be very solid. Sanders has a ton of talent. We will see whether the staff can guide him in a manner that brings out his talent. Laurent may be a key to the class. I have never seen him, nor do I know anyone who has. So, if Laurent proves to be a quality player that would help a great deal.

I do not expect much from the team next year. I do not believe there will be a substantial increase in wins. To me, if we observe consistently competitive games and the overall quality of play increases, that will be a good sign for the future.

I just don't understand why someone has to butcher one of our guys before they ever play a game for RU. Justin Goode made First Team All State for the VHSCA Group 3A and was player of the year. Obviously several people felt he was a pretty good player. Maybe some of his facets to his game might not be as good as some other players but from what I've heard the kid lit up quite a few of our practices. This doesn't mean he will be a star by any means but at least give the kid a chance. I sure hope he can prove bdodger wrong. I'm sure many of our players read or hear about these comments. What is the purpose in bashing one of our kids?

Reactions: RUMountie
I don't see a Mike Williams Juel Wiggan comparison. Not saying anything wrong about either, but they seem to me to be different players.

Juel Wiggan was a 100% defender. The difference was that Juel Wiggan was never EVER expected to shoot. (Don't get me wrong, when we got a 10 point game out of him we were thrilled.)

Choppin - Because my son and Mike played together from the time they were very young. If you actually read my post I said I have known Mike since he was eight years old, not since eighth grade.

Mountie - I guess anyone who holds an opinion you do not share is subject to your sarcasm rather than a legitimate discussion. Thats fine.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I was half serious. I have worked with NFL scouts at the NFL Combines and despite all of their knowledge/experience and study of football players they generally would not make the kind of definitive statements
about a player's ceiling like the ones you made about Williams and Goode. Maybe your not a fan like I am and/or you feel the need to be "right" about a player's ultimate ability. But as a fan I much rather be optimistic (even if it turns out to be wrong) about our player's chances for improvement, especially our young players who haven't had alot of time to develop. Being optimistic about your players, coaches and the team as a whole is really the essence of being a fan IMHO. That's what makes this whole sports thing fun, believing your/our guys can do it even when they haven't done it yet.

Juel Wiggan was a 100% defender. The difference was that Juel Wiggan was never EVER expected to shoot. (Don't get me wrong, when we got a 10 point game out of him we were thrilled.)

Totally agree. Mike is more offense oriented, while playing tough defense and hustling.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I was half serious. I have worked with NFL scouts at the NFL Combines and despite all of their knowledge/experience and study of football players they generally would not make the kind of definitive statements
about a player's ceiling like the ones you made about Williams and Goode. Maybe your not a fan like I am and/or you feel the need to be "right" about a player's ultimate ability. But as a fan I much rather be optimistic (even if it turns out to be wrong) about our player's chances for improvement, especially our young players who haven't had alot of time to develop. Being optimistic about your players, coaches and the team as a whole is really the essence of being a fan IMHO.

Mountie - My ego is not dependent upon my "being right" about issues that are discussed on the board. I also have had discussions with numerous scouts and coaches from my involvement with AAU basketball. My experience is that they frequently render the type of definitive statements that I made in this thread. It does not mean they turn out to always be correct. Plenty of opinions turn out to be wrong-including my own opinions. That does not stop them from reaching definitive conclusions. Indeed, it is the very essence of why different kids get recruited and offered as contrasted with others.

As far as this thread goes, and the board in general, this is a vehicle designed to discuss issues regarding RU basketball. I have simply provided my opinion. Perhaps we have a different perspective about the essence of being a fan. I simply have a different perspective about that from you. I do not think you are wrong in your perspective - it is simply different from my view.

Sir Scarlet - fair criticism. I could have been a bit less harsh in how I couched my views.

Seels - never a problem. A healthy exchange of views.

Bdodger2 I respect your opinion even more given your response.

ADVERTISEMENT