ADVERTISEMENT

Milestone Watch

BeKnighted

Heisman Winner
Jan 15, 2003
New season, new milestone watch

Betnijah has 906 points. She needs 94 to reach 1,000, which would be
34th all time at RU, and 356 to tie Essence for 20th on the all time list.

Kahleah has 747 points. She needs 253 to reach 1,000.

Tyler has 559 points. She needs 441 to reach 1,000.
Based on their previous seasons, there's actually a chance that all three of them could reach 1,000 this year, which would be remarkable in Tyler's case.

Rebounds

Betnijah as 583. She needs 89 to tie Mo Oliver for 15th on the list and 102 to tie Tammy Sutton-Brown for 14th.

Blocks

Rachel has 154. She's in 6th, and needs 23 to tie Mo Oliver for 5th. There's a big gap to
Tanya Hansen for 4th - she had 245. (If you remember last year, I said that Rachel was 5th, but apparently the records list hadn't been updated in a while.)

Steals

Syessence has 190. She's 23 behind Cappie and C'ta Mitchelson for 9th all time and 26th behind Regina Howard for 8th.

Games Played

Betnijah and Syessence have 98 games each. They each need 31 more games to join the traffic jam in 8th place overall at 129 - Ra, Patty Coyle, Patty Delehanty, Tasha, Michelle and April). There's another tie (3-way) for 5th with 130 games, too.

And coaching:

C. Vivian Stringer has 930 wins, 2nd on the all-time list. She needs 168 wins to tie Pat Summitt, who had 1,098.

She now has 410 wins at Rutgers, which is 24 short of the number earned by Theresa Grentz.

This post was edited on 11/15 8:28 PM by BeKnighted

This post was edited on 11/17 9:41 PM by BeKnighted

Ooooo

There will be some big nights this season as I see several of these records bound for the media guide.

Tammy Hanson? Whodat? Tammy Sutton-Brown? Tanya Hanson? I need a new media guide. Did get a yearbook Friday, tho.

I can see THREE 1,000-point players this season. Two for sure.

This will be a team to remember.

Yes, that's Tanya, not Tammy, Hansen. (I've had enough trouble with Tanya Hansen versus Liz Hanson as it is over the years - I should have gotten this one right.)

On the points thing, if you want to project year-end totals based on past performance, here's what you would get:

Betnijah: 1,194 based on her 3-year average (good for 25th, 10 points behind Mo Oliver); 1,309 if she repasts last year's performance (17th, 20 behind Kia)

Kahleah: 1,099 based on her 2-year average (29th, 4 behind Denise Kenney); 1,313 if she repeats last year's performance (also 17th, 16 behind Kia Vaughn)

Tyler: 1,072 (just doubling last year's total) (30th, 5 behind Patty Delehanty)

Of course, actual rankings would depend on how each of them does.

I have to figure BeKnighted there's a good chance Laney ends up in top 10 career rebounds?

Originally posted by sammybb:
I have to figure BeKnighted there's a good chance Laney ends up in top 10 career rebounds?
Linda Miles is in 10th with 751. If Betnijah gets as many boards as she's averaged over her career, she'd end with 760 ahead of Linda but just shy of C'ta Mitchelson, who had 764. If gets as many as she had last year, she'd end up with 866, and that would be good for 7th, ahead of Kathy Glutz, but still behind Tanya Hansen (see, I can get it right), who has 894.

Just wondering ... are any of Our Sue (Wicks) 's records in danger this year?

Originally posted by Cyn38:
The only one even remotely in reach (and that would require an incredible performance by Rachel) is blocks. Tasha's steals record is quite safe as well.

Rachel's got two years left, so if she stays healthy and keeps blocking shots at her current rate, she could have a pretty good chance at the blocks record. Tyler, even with her incredible first season, would have to improve significantly to have a shot at Sue's scoring record. Sue averaged 663 points per season, so with Tyler's 536 last year she'd have to average better than 700 points a season this year and the next two to get to Sue's total. Topping Cappie for 2nd (which also would make her only the 3rd 2,000 point scorer in team history) seems quite possible, though.

I've edited it to add Syessence in career steals, which I somehow forgot about.

This should be "pinned" or stapled or whatever. I'm a big fan of BeK's fun facts.

Update:

Betnijah has 952 points. She needs 48 to reach 1,000, which would be 34th all time at RU, and 310 to tie Essence for 20th on the all time list.

Kahleah has 785 points. She needs 215 to reach 1,000.

Tyler has 605 points. She needs 395 to reach 1,000.

Rebounds

Betnijah has 623 (that's 40 in the 3 games since the last update). She needs 49 to tie Mo Oliver for 15th on the list and 62 to tie Tammy Sutton-Brown for 14th.

Blocks

Rachel has 161, still in 6th. She needs 16 to tie Mo Oliver for 5th. She needs 84 to tie Tanya Hansen for 4th - she had 245.
Steals

Syessence has 197. She's 16 behind Cappie and C'ta Mitchelson for 9th all time and 19 behind Regina Howard for 8th.

Games Played

Betnijah and Syessence have 101 games each. They each need 28 more games to join the traffic jam in 8th place overall at 129 - Ra, Patty Coyle, Patty Delehanty, Tasha, Michelle and April). There's another tie (3-way) for 5th with 130 games, too.

And coaching:

C. Vivian Stringer has 933 wins, 2nd on the all-time list. She needs 165 wins to tie Pat Summitt, who had 1,098.

She now has 413 wins at Rutgers, which is 21 short of the number earned by Theresa Grentz.

Update:

Betnijah has 988 points. She needs 12 to reach 1,000, which would be 34th all time at RU, and 274 to tie Essence for 20th on the all time list.

Kahleah has 815 points. She needs 185 to reach 1,000.

Tyler has 634 points. She needs 366 to reach 1,000.

Rebounds

Betnijah has 653. She needs 19 to tie Mo Oliver for 15th on the list and 32 to tie Tammy Sutton-Brown for 14th.

Blocks

Rachel has 164, still in 6th. She needs 13 to tie Mo Oliver for 5th. She needs 81 to tie Tanya Hansen for 4th - she had 245.
Steals

Syessence has 207. She's 6 behind Cappie and C'ta Mitchelson for 9th all time and 9 behind Regina Howard for 8th.

Games Played

Betnijah and Syessence have 103 games each. They each need 26 more games to join the traffic jam in 8th place overall at 129 - Ra, Patty Coyle, Patty Delehanty, Tasha, Michelle and April). There's another tie (3-way) for 5th with 130 games, too.

And coaching:

C. Vivian Stringer has 935 wins, 2nd on the all-time list. She needs 163 wins to tie Pat Summitt, who had 1,098.

She now has 415 wins at Rutgers, which is 19 short of the number earned by Theresa Grentz.

Originally posted by oldman87:
I bet you Laney will get to 1000 before Copper or Scaife.
Too bad Cynthia is already a Junior. If those "fours" add up she can accumulate points at an unprecedented rate.

Originally posted by MC1974:
Originally posted by oldman87:
I bet you Laney will get to 1000 before Copper or Scaife.
Too bad Cynthia is already a Junior. If those "fours" add up she can accumulate points at an unprecedented rate.
Last 4 point play I remember at the RAC led to a Men's win vs Villanova.

Time for an update. A couple of milestones are now in the rearview mirror.

Betnijah has 1,012 points, and now is in 33rd place all time, 3 points ahead of Dawn McCollough. She needs 15 to tie Erica Wheeler for 32nd, 39 points to tie Kristen Foley for 21st, 42 points to tie Michelle Campbell for 30th, and 250 to tie Essence for 20th on the all time list.

Kahleah has 832 points. She needs 168 to reach 1,000.

Tyler has 659 points. She needs 341 to reach 1,000.

Rebounds

Betnijah has 677. She has passed Mo Oliver for 15th. She needs 8 to tie Tammy Sutton-Brown for 14th with 685, 23 to tie Janell Williams for 13th with 700 and 30 to tie Essence for 12th with 707.

Blocks

Rachel has 164, still in 6th. She needs 13 to tie Mo Oliver for 5th. She needs 81 to tie Tanya Hansen for 4th - she had 245.
Steals

Syessence has 211. She's 2 behind Cappie and C'ta Mitchelson for 9th all time and 5 behind Regina Howard for 8th.

Games Played

Betnijah and Syessence have 104 games each. They each need 25 more games to join the traffic jam in 8th place overall at 129 - Ra, Patty Coyle, Patty Delehanty, Tasha, Michelle and April). There's another tie (3-way) for 5th with 130 games, too.

And coaching:

C. Vivian Stringer has 935 wins, 2nd on the all-time list. She needs 163 wins to tie Pat Summitt, who had 1,098.

She now has 415 wins at Rutgers, which is 19 short of the number earned by Theresa Grentz.

It's too early to look at single-season records, but right now Betnijah is averaging 15.85 rebounds per game, 2.15 rpg more than Sandy Tupurins' single-season record. It is, however, never too early to report on a single-game record - Betnijah's 24 was the most ever in a game at the RAC. (The overall single-game record is 26, by Sandy Tupurins in 1977, presumably at the Barn.)

This post was edited on 12/6 7:29 PM by BeKnighted

BeKnighted--where can we reasonably expect Laney to end up on career rebounding list?

Originally posted by BeKnighted:

Time for an update. A couple of milestones are now in the rearview mirror.

Rebounds

Betnijah has 677. She has passed Mo Oliver for 15th. She needs 8 to tie Tammy Sutton-Brown for 14th with 785, 23 to tie Janell Williams for 13th with 700 and 30 to tie Essence for 12th with 607.
I know I could look it up but does Naj have 777 or does Tammy have 685. If she's 7 short of TSB the numbers don't match. Also 30 more to tie E at 607 diesnt work either. I'm so confused!

Thanks for updating this.

Another update

Betnijah has 1,044 points, and now is in 32nd place all time, 17 points ahead of Erica Wheeler. She needs 7 points to tie Kristen Foley for 21st, 10 points to tie Michelle Campbell for 30th, 33 to tie Patty Delehanty for 29th and 218 to tie Essence for 20th on the all time list.

Kahleah has 869 points. She needs 131 to reach 1,000.

Tyler has 682 points. She needs 318 to reach 1,000.

Rebounds

Betnijah has 693, now in 14th all time, 8 ahead of Tammy Sutton-Brown. She needs 7to tie Janell Williams for 13th with 700, 14 to tie Essence for 12th with 707 and 52 to tie LaToya Johnson for 11th with 745.

Blocks

Rachel has 169, still in 6th. She needs 8 to tie Mo Oliver for 5th. She needs 76 to tie Tanya Hansen for 4th - she had 245.

Steals

Syessence has 214. She's now in 9th all time, 2 ahead of Cappie and C'ta Mitchelson and 2 behind Regina Howard for 8th. She needs 43 steals to tie Vicky Picott for 7th.

Games Played

Betnijah and Syessence have 106 games each. They each need 23 more games to join the traffic jam in 8th place overall at 129 - Ra, Patty Coyle, Patty Delehanty, Tasha, Michelle and April). There's another tie (3-way) for 5th with 130 games, too.

And coaching:

C. Vivian Stringer has 937 wins, 2nd on the all-time list. She needs 161 wins to tie Pat Summitt, who had 1,098.

She now has 417 wins at Rutgers, which is 17 short of the number earned by Theresa Grentz.

CVS is 2nd or 3rd all time in coaching wins? I thought Sylvia Hatchell AND Pat Summitt were ahead if her??

Originally posted by RUClassof67:
CVS is 2nd or 3rd all time in coaching wins? I thought Sylvia Hatchell AND Pat Summitt were ahead if her??
She went ahead of Hatchell last year because Hatchell wasn't coaching while she was being treated for cancer.

I remember that but seem to recall that the media seemed to indicate she had more wins than CVS. Oh well, I like it better this way. cVS at #2.

Anyone think she can hang on long enough to catch Pat? I wouldn't bet against it.

Same point/question as RUClassof67--is the NCAA crediting Hatchell with last season´s wins? Or substandard reporting by media? North Carolina WBB calling her the winningest active coach but references 908 wins at start of season. Perhaps the page has not been updated since 2013.

These questions made me go look at this again. There are multiple sources on this, and at least a couple give Hatchell credit for last year, but others don't, including the ones I looked at when I was setting this up. While I'm sympathetic to the reason she wasn't there last year, she did not coach at all, so I don't really see why she should get credit.

Nevertheless, I took another look today, and finally found the NCAA's official count. It gives her credit for last year, so I'm going to amend this going forward to include those wins. She was at 935 at the end of last season, six ahead of CVS. Right now she's at 943, compared to 937 for CVS, so still six ahead.

While I'm at it, I should mention that Tara Van derVeer started the season with 927 wins, and now has 932, so CVS has opened up some space on her over the first month of the season. The next coach in line is Geno, who probably can't catch up this season.

Do they put an asterisk in the shape of a cupcake on Sylvia's record?

(that aside, it is nice to see her back on the sidelines after what she went through.)

I wonder if the NCAA statistics keepers even know that Hatchell stepped away for a season.
Checked on wording, here is a cut-and-paste from The Daily Tar Heel

"I will remain very much involved with my team and day-to-day operations here at UNC and expect to return to my sideline responsibilities as soon as possible," Hatchell said in a statement released Monday.
There was no sideline duty--Andrew Calder coached during the games. How is that allowed to count for Hatchell? I wonder if a quick query to the NCAA to ask why they are allowing those wins to count for Hatchell would produce a response.

Originally posted by Cyn38:
The only one even remotely in reach (and that would require an incredible performance by Rachel) is blocks. Tasha's steals record is quite safe as well.

Rachel's got two years left, so if she stays healthy and keeps blocking shots at her current rate, she could have a pretty good chance at the blocks record. Tyler, even with her incredible first season, would have to improve significantly to have a shot at Sue's scoring record. Sue averaged 663 points per season, so with Tyler's 536 last year she'd have to average better than 700 points a season this year and the next two to get to Sue's total. Topping Cappie for 2nd (which also would make her only the 3rd 2,000 point scorer in team history) seems quite possible, though.
One amazing stat regarding Sue (pointed out by my wife) is that she is tied for 2nd all time in steals!

End of OOC update

Betnijah has 1,048 points, and now is in 32nd place all time. She needs 3 points to tie Kristen Foley for 31st, 6 points to tie Michelle Campbell for 30th, 29 to tie Patty Delehanty for 29th and 213 to tie Essence for 20th on the all time list.

Kahleah has 895 points. She needs 105 to reach 1,000.

Tyler has 715 points. She needs 285 to reach 1,000.

Rebounds

Betnijah has 698, still in 14th all time. She needs 2 to tie Janell Williams for 13th with 700, 9 to tie Essence for 12th with 707 and 47 to tie LaToya Johnson for 11th with 745.

Blocks

Rachel has 174, still in 6th. She needs 3 to tie Mo Oliver for 5th. She needs 71 to tie Tanya Hansen for 4th - she had 245.

Steals

Syessence has 220. She's now in 8th all time, 4 ahead of Regina Howard. She needs 37 steals to tie Vicky Picott for 7th and 40 to tie Piph for 6th.

Games Played

Syessence has 108 games and Betnijah has 107. Syessence needs 21 more games and Betnijah needs 22 more games to join the current 6-person tie for 8th place overall at 129 - Ra, Patty Coyle, Patty Delehanty, Tasha, Michelle and April). There's another tie (3-way) for 5th with 130 games, too.

And coaching:

C. Vivian Stringer has 938 wins, 3rd on the all-time list, and if I've counted right, 8 behind Sylvia Hatchell, who has 946. She needs 160 wins to tie Pat Summitt, who had 1,098.

She now has 418 wins at Rutgers, which is 16 short of the number earned by Theresa Grentz.

She started the season with 169 Big Ten wins, second all time to Rene Portland, who had 176. The next active coach on the list is Lisa Bluder, who started the season with 138, and so almost certainly can't catch up this year.

(Edited to add the Big Ten wins item.)

This post was edited on 12/29 11:47 PM by BeKnighted

Time for another update

Betnijah has 1,120 points, and since the last update has zoomed up from 32nd place all time to 27th, having passed Jennie Hall against Michigan. She needs 22 points to tie Brittany Ray for 26th, 42 points to tie April Sykes for 25th, 84 points to tie Mo Oliver for 24th and 142 to tie Essence for 20th on the all time list.

Kahleah has 949 points. She needs 51 to reach 1,000.

Tyler has 788 points. She needs 212 to reach 1,000.

Rebounds

Betnijah has 743, which puts her in 12th, just ahead of Essence. She needs 2 to tie LaToya Johnson for 11th with 745, 8 to tie Linda Miles for 10th, 21 to tie C'ta Mitchelson for 9th, and 37 to tie June Olkowski for 8th.

Blocks

Rachel has 186, which puts her in 5th all time. She passed Mo Oliver after the Ohio State game. She needs 59 to tie Tanya Hansen for 4th at 245.

Assists (this is new)

Syessence has 332 assists. She's 39 away from Telicher Austin, who's in 10th all time.

Steals

Syessence has 236. She's still in 8th all time. She needs 21 steals to tie Vicky Picott for 7th, 24 to tie Piph for 6th and 27 to tie Denise Kenney for 5th.

Games Played

Syessence has 112 games and Betnijah has 111. Syessence needs 17 more games and Betnijah needs 18 more games to join the current 6-person tie for 8th place overall at 129 - Ra, Patty Coyle, Patty Delehanty, Tasha, Michelle and April). There's another tie (3-way) for 5th with 130 games, too.

And coaching:

C. Vivian Stringer has 940 wins, 3rd on the all-time list, and 9 behind Sylvia Hatchell, who has 949. She needs 158 wins to tie Pat Summitt, who had 1,098.

She now has 420 wins at Rutgers, which is 14 short of the number earned by Theresa Grentz.

She now has 171 Big Ten wins, second all time to Rene Portland, who had 176.

It's so much fun to watch Betnijah climbing these lists. The way she is playing, it's likely that she'll pull down at least 100 more rebounds this season, which would put her in 7th place (ahead of Kathy Glutz).

bumping since Kahleah notched her 1000th point today. I think that Betnijah is probably now in 9th place for rebounds, and up another spot or two on the career points list.

Betnijah has 1,162 points, which puts her in a tie April Sykes for 25th. She needs 42 to tie Mo Oliver for 24th and 100 to tie Essence for 20th on the all time list.

Kahleah has 1,002 points, which puts her in 35th all time. She needs 7 points to tie Dawn McCollough for 34th, 25 to tie Erica Wheeler for 33rd, 49 to tie Kristen Foley for 32nd and 52 to tie Michelle Campbell for 31st. (If you look in the media guide, you'll see that all of these players were 1 spot higher, but of course Betnijah has passed them.)

Tyler has 821 points. She needs 179 to reach 1,000.

By the way, the last time the team had 2 1,000 point scorers was 2013. The last time there were 3 1,000 point scorers may have been 2008, depending on when Piph got her 1,000th point. I'll need to check.

Rebounds

Betnijah has 769, which puts her in 9th. In the last update, I missed her rebounds, so since the last time I actually updated her stats, she's passed LaToya Johnson, Linda Miles and C'ta Mitchelson. She needs 11 to tie June Olkowski for 8th and 66 to tie Kathy Glutz for 7th.

Blocks

Rachel has 194, which leaves her in 5th all time. She needs 51 to tie Tanya Hansen for 4th at 245.

Assists

Syessence has 348 assists. She's 23 away from Telicher Austin, who's in 10th all time.

Steals

Syessence has 252, still 8th all time. She needs 5 steals to tie Vicky Picott for 7th, 8 to tie Piph for 6th and 11 to tie Denise Kenney for 5th.

Games Played

Syessence has 115 games and Betnijah has 114. Syessence needs 14 more games and Betnijah needs 15 more games to join the current 6-person tie for 8th place overall at 129 - Ra, Patty Coyle, Patty Delehanty, Tasha, Michelle and April). There's another tie (3-way) for 5th with 130 games, too.

And coaching:

C. Vivian Stringer has 942 wins, 3rd on the all-time list, and 9 behind Sylvia Hatchell, who has 951. She needs 156 wins to tie Pat Summitt, who had 1,098.

She now has 422 wins at Rutgers, which is 12 short of the number earned by Theresa Grentz.

She now has 173 Big Ten wins, second all time to Rene Portland, who had 176.

I'm working on it!! (Really, I'm almost done with the update post.)
Of course.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

p.s. Thank you for doing this. I appreciate it, and I know that other fans do, too!

As we get closer to the end of the regular season, it should be interesting to see how where some of our players end up on some single-season lists, in particular for rebounds, steals, and blocks.

This post was edited on 1/18 11:08 PM by dmd78

Originally posted by dmd78:
I'm working on it!! (Really, I'm almost done with the update post.)
Of course.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

p.s. Thank you for doing this. I appreciate it, and I know that other fans do, too!

As we get closer to the end of the regular season, it should be interesting to see how where some of our players end up on some single-season lists, in particular for rebounds, steals, and blocks.

This post was edited on 1/18 11:08 PM by dmd78
My pleasure.

There are definitely some good chances on those lists.

In looking at the single-season lists, what it takes to get on to the scoring list is pretty impressive - 10th place is Cappie with 592 in 2003-4. The top 3 spots are all Sue, ranging from 719 to 793. Tyler leads all scorers right now with 285 points in 18 games, so getting to 592 would be tough.

It seems like really need to post one of these after every game now (not that I'm complaining)

Betnijah has 1,177 points, which breaks her tie with April Sykes to put her alone in 25th. She needs 27 to tie Mo Oliver for 24th and 85 to tie Essence for 20th on the all time list.

Kahleah has 1,015 points, which puts her in 34th all time, having just passed Dawn McCollough for 34th. She needs 12 to tie Erica Wheeler for 33rd, 36 to tie Kristen Foley for 32nd and 39 to tie Michelle Campbell for 31st.

Tyler has 849 points. She needs 150 to reach 1,000.

Following up to my last post on this, Piph did not have 1,000 points by the end of 2008, so it's possible that the team never has had 3 1,000 point scorers at once. I'll need to do more research to be sure.

Rebounds

Betnijah has 777, still in 9th. She needs 5 to tie June Olkowski for 8th and 60 to tie Kathy Glutz for 7th.

Blocks

Rachel has 197, which leaves her in 5th all time. She needs 48 to tie Tanya Hansen for 4th at 245.

Assists

Syessence has 351 assists. She's 20 behind Telicher Austin, who's in 10th all time.

In case you're wondering about Briyona, she has 233, so she's not close right now.

Steals

Syessence has 254, still 8th all time. She needs 3 steals to tie Vicky Picott for 7th, 6 to tie Piph for 6th and 9 to tie Denise Kenney for 5th.

Games Played

Syessence has 116 games and Betnijah has 115. Syessence needs 13 more games and Betnijah needs 14 more games to join the current 6-person tie for 8th place overall at 129 - Ra, Patty Coyle, Patty Delehanty, Tasha, Michelle and April). There's another tie (3-way) for 5th with 130 games, too. After yesterday, the team is guaranteed 11 more games, but of course we all hope for more.

And coaching:

C. Vivian Stringer has 943 wins, 3rd on the all-time list, and 9 behind Sylvia Hatchell, who has 952. She needs 155 wins to tie Pat Summitt, who had 1,098.

She now has 423 wins at Rutgers, which is 11 short of the number earned by Theresa Grentz.

She now has 174 Big Ten wins, second all time to Rene Portland, who had 176. She could tie Portland this week.

I think Rutgers women has had 3 1000 point scorers at the same time twice.

1982: June Olkowski, Patty Coyle, Patty Delehanty. Jennie Hall played on that team, but scored her 1000th in 82-83, it seems.
1987: Sue Wicks, Regina Howard, Kris Foley. I know Sue and Regina hit 1000 points in the same game in 1986 (vs West Virginia). T. Austin played on at the same time, but didn't get her 1000th until 87-88.

In the game Sue and Regina scored their 1000th point. Sue didn't need that many and Rutgers was ready for it. They stopped the game, gave her flowers and the basketball. Regina needed 37 points to make it. The game ended up a blowout and Rutgers kept feeding Regina to her the needed points, which she was able to do. They stopped again and had another ceremony, and gave her the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT